Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

astro_toby

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
Well me going for two teams has left many ppl on here bedazzled. This is the story of how it happened once and for all.... Then after that....*NTTAWWT*.... a cloud of smoke...... and i'll never explain it again.... :)

I was born in november 1980. less than two months after richmond won their last flag. So they have never won a flag in my life time. Born into a fanatical carlton family.... which my dads mother had been taking him to games since a toddler.... and her mother the same, since she was a toddler. a day after my birth a photo was taken of me wearing a blues guernsy, mittens, beanie, badges, the whole range. it sat on my grandmothers dining table since that day, till this day. Dad started taking me to see their games when i was about 3, every week - i'd tag along. He hated Richmond. Worse than even collingwood in those days. apparently we were all thugs. His happiest moment in all those years wasn't winning the flags, not even beating the tigs in the 82 granny (nor the streaker!) - it was giving us an absolute bathing in the final round of the 83 season, where we needed a win to make the finals (apparently). keeping us out of the finals, and he knew we wern't going to be back in for a long time (now his favorite moment is beating essendon in the 99 finals series - lol) Those were the days....

anyway... such was his love of the blues, i actually was totally oblivious to the fact that there were other teams going around. i actually remember thinking that carlton just played every week, won, and that was that...

one day in my first year of kinder, there was a football day on. and they put up this big poster of all the clubs emblems on the wall. the teacher noticed me just starring at it looking confused. she asked me what all the problem was - and i was like
"what is this?" -
"thats all the football teams in the VFL"
"......(blank look from me)" -
"well thats the collingwood magpies, thats the essendon bombers.....etc..... richmond tigers & the stkilda saints"
"......(again)"
"who do you go for?"

i looked at them all, and i was just flipped at all these other teams! pfht! who wants to go for a "blue" when you can go for a Tiger!!!!

"I go for Richmond"

Later in the day, they gave away all these show bags and we got one of the team we barracked for - i asked for a richmond, and went home to show it off.

Dad, totally oblivious to this "Judas child" asked me how kinder was, and i went on to explain about this footy day thing, and the showbag. when i got the showbag to show it to him - he was like "what the hell is this?? why did they give you a richmond one???!?"

"oh, i go for richmond now"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA"

dad was just like, "damned kids, one day they think their he-man, the next they are a cowboy.... he'll get over with time..."

the following saturday came, and dad was getting ready to go to the footy and told me to get ready.
"who's playing?"
"Carlton V Bulldogs"
"i'm not going, i go for richmond"
".....(this time dad had the blank look)"

apparently i wouldnt have a bar of it, refused to go, and he ended up going by himself. He wasnt really used to going on his own, because he had always gone with him mother and grandmother, but both had gotten a bit too old to go to the games.

A month went by and i still was hell bent i went for richmond, and he still was getting forced to go to the games alone. I was a stubbon little bastard.

then the day came, the compromise....
"So, do you still think you go for Richmond"
"yep"
"so your not gonna go see carlton play with me?"
"nope"
"what about if i take you to go see richmond play, will you start coming back to the footy with me?"
"hmmmm.... ok"

the deal was struck, and each week - we would go to see carlton play, and ricmond the next day. on days they played on the same day, i would normally agree to go see carlton play, except on the odd occasion he would let us go to see Richmond. Good times. I still remember going to see carlton play and winning all the time, often thrashing teams - then going to see the tigs play, and we would get absolutely pumped every week. dad still laughs at the things i would say at the games -
" Jeez dad, i think they are getting better, they only lost by 50points this week!!!"

must of been hell for him, hating richmond all this time, and now he was forced to watch them play all the time, and they were the worst team EVER to see play, god we were bad.

This deal works still pretty much to this day. difference is, we both kinda learn't to like each others teams. i even remember dad actually started going for us in that match in 95 at the MCG, because he started getting wrapped up in all our yellow and black hype and excitment.then at half time he changed his mind, and i cracked the ********s - lol.

he'd take me to the trainings, to the family "save our skins" day, bought me their grand final video's - he even took me to the under 19's grand final one year, when we won it against north melbourne (knights played im pretty sure!). that was a flip. the only time richmond won a grand final in my life time... and i saw it

So thats that. thats how it happened. I'm very passionate about both teams, would walk over broken glass if it meant either of them winning a flag. Richmond are my number 1 though, always been like that - if we played each other - its always the tigers.

So not only do you pi$$ off Richmond supporters on this board, you also Pi$$ed your dad off back when you were younger !!

you should be ashamed of yourself, the day my son tells me he wont go to the footy with me is the day I would rather be hit by a sledge hammer.

I feel sorry for your father !

:D

This has to be a joke right :eek:

You can NOT and I repeat can NOT barrack for both sides - scientifically impossible. :rolleyes:

Nice story.

our boys aged 3 and 5 months go for the tigers. If they do not they will not be fed or loved. They will not recieve treats or an outstandingg education. Basically they will be thrown out on the streets to fend for themselves. My wife once loved the blues and the tigers. She has now made the move. I am not a control freak. I just want peace in our house.

cub said:
This has to be a joke right :eek:

You can NOT and I repeat can NOT barrack for both sides - scientifically impossible. :rolleyes:

So not only am i a JUDAS CHILD, a little bastard, and a bad son, im also a freak of science - LOL

either way, i'll be at the games all this year, just like i have for the past nearly 2 decades.

Bring it on!!!!

its a bit strange, i mean i hate carlton with a passion and i always will (unless one of my boys plays footy and gets drafted by them - even then i would struggle) but to each thier own i guess.

by the way Astro Toby, you will have to explain it again, i guarantee it. this is the second time i have read your explanation (this version is a bit longer) and there are newbies coming on here all the time. have fun next time you are asked..... lol

cairo tiger said:
Nice story.

our boys aged 3 and 5 months go for the tigers. If they do not they will not be fed or loved. They will not recieve treats or an outstandingg education. Basically they will be thrown out on the streets to fend for themselves. My wife once loved the blues and the tigers. She has now made the move. I am not a control freak. I just want peace in our house.

We are a very relaxed family. My dads attitude is and was

" it's his own life, let him make his own mistakes"

But like i've said - it has never ever been a problem for either of us. We both love watching footy and all sports so it just meant we go to the footy twice a week. he hasn't really gone to the richmond games though since about 96.

Darth_Tiger said:
by the way Astro Toby, you will have to explain it again, i guarantee it. this is the second time i have read your explanation (this version is a bit longer) and there are newbies coming on here all the time. have fun next time you are asked..... lol

hmm, very good point Darth - maybe i should just change my profile and create a seperate persona for my carlton posts (not that i have actually sent one on there yet -lol) - it would kinda be a bit like being Schitzo....

rfctigerarmy said:
I bet you 95% of people on BigFooty dont give a ******** about what you just said.

very true - but 5% did - and i love you all - lol

Who on big footy really give a toss what anyone says? as long as they have their say their happy.

You have a great dad, he must have been shattered inside when you told him that and even more when the realisation hit him that it wasn't going to change and he still took you to Richmond games. I'm also glad that you went to the Carlton games with him.

It's unheard of that someone could go for Richmond and Carlton, it's a concept that is very difficult to fathom, it's a bit like somone saying they are a devout christian and an athiest at the same time.

In my family back in the 60s and 70s there were Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood supporters. It was hell on earth. :D

Rodgerramjet said:
You have a great dad, he must have been shattered inside when you told him that and even more when the realisation hit him that it wasn't going to change and he still took you to Richmond games. I'm also glad that you went to the Carlton games with him.

It's unheard of that someone could go for Richmond and Carlton, it's a concept that is very difficult to fathom, it's a bit like somone saying they are a devout christian and an athiest at the same time.

In my family back in the 60s and 70s there were Richmond, Carlton and Collingwood supporters. It was hell on earth. :D

Thanks for saying something nice about the whole thing - you must be the 5% - lol

Funny you say that - my mother is a very passionate catholic, while my dad is an athiest. they made it work too.

i do understand he was a good dad to do that, thats why i still make sure i still go with him now to the carlton games. i havent lived at home for a 5 years, but i still make sure i go to the games with him. otherwise we would either not go, or go alone.

Each to their own Astro but wouldn't it have been easier to tell us your from Tasmanian stock.
gif-freaks-siamese-twins-gallyon-bros-ron-

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i suggest u change your user name and have "club" under richond, not both. there for i think you will have less problems, also to stop bagging the supporters, that might help. ;)

astro_toby said:
Funny you say that - my mother is a very passionate catholic, while my dad is an athiest.

That explains it then, because Richmond were traditionally a catholic club while Carlton were a bunch of Denis Pagans.

cairo tiger said:
Nice story.

Democracy Egyptian Style!!

I grew up in a family of 8 and we all went for different teams. Now I have my own kids I tell them its their choice who they follow, just as its their choice whether they sleep in the house or the backyard.

Crumden said:
That explains it then, because Richmond were traditionally a catholic club while Carlton were a bunch of Denis Pagans.

Buda BOOM! If big footy ever gets in own "Night Show" i vote you to be host!
LOL

Astro! you took my advice! :eek: richmond only!! and you havent bagged any tiger supporters that ived seen! glad to see you care! ;)

rfctigerarmy said:
I bet you 95% of people on BigFooty dont give a ******** about what you just said.
But they may ....... if you do what you know is the right thing and apologise to the rank and file for all the insults and abuse you have hurled at the tiger folk in general over the last 48 hours ....... then you will have brokered piece in the middle east.

Are you big enough to swallow your pride ?

IDGAF said:
Are you big enough to swallow your pride ?

I am. But i don't need to, because i stand by those comments. Some ppl have agreed with those comments, and haven't been offended by them because they know it doesn't mean that its targeted at them. It was only aimed at the ppl who were guilty of the things i pointed out.

I still think its a rewardless act to bag your own players based on last years performance's at the start of a NEW season.

I still think that we should not get over anxious and feel the need to belittle other ppls coachs or players nor clubs for the sake of pumping ourselves up

I still think that the poor attitude of supporters during the tough times has made it hard for the club to accept failure and rebuild.

I still think that the club has accepted failure and are rebuilding, but some supporters haven't moved forward the same distance as te club has over the last 6 months.

I'll bag the supporters sooner than i would bag the players. Because i support the club, not its supporters

Tambo!!!! said:
Astro! you took my advice! :eek: richmond only!! and you havent bagged any tiger supporters that ived seen! glad to see you care! ;)

lol - just dont want to go through the whole life story thing again Tambo

They only time i will hark up is if i think someone is making us look bad by saying negative things about players who are still trying to help us win games. as long as their on the lists, we should do our best to respect them, and maybe they will play with some more pride this season.
I believe that a huge majority of the players on our lists would be trying their bests to achieve our and THEIR dreams of playing successful finals football.

We should try and look beyond the players for blame i.e coachs, development, culture and conditioning

once the season is under way though, i do believe in giving kicks in the arse to an extent. but its gotta be constructive, not just that "they are useless" etc etc

It's like this AT.

Follow as many fukcen teams as u want to BUT
dont expect to be taken seriously by people who only follow one team (which is approx 99.9% of the folk here)

You seem to have a bright young mind and offer intelligent argument
but WTF ???

Stop sitting on the fence for once in your life and go out on a prayer.

Follow the RFC solely and watch your independence flourish with glee !

Your father will forgive you for having your own mind and eventually respect you for it.It may take time but you will both get there.

Good luck and dont forget to order your membership (second one)this week.

At the RFC We CARE MAN !!!

astro_toby said:
I am. But i don't need to, because i stand by those comments.
"I Like my team , Richmond , i just hate our supporters "

" for once in our damned lives Richmond supporters should just shut the hell up "

" we sound like hypocrites , insecure and dumb "

" Richmond supporters don`t have anything better to do than talk about how crap our players are '

our supporters are "f..king pathetic and frustrating "

" Big mouthed , big talking supporters "

Our supporters are " By far the worst "

Quote unquote

So you are standing by these comments Astro ???

oxx said:
It's like this AT.

Follow as many fukcen teams as u want to BUT
dont expect to be taken seriously by people who only follow one team (which is approx 99.9% of the folk here)

You seem to have a bright young mind and offer intelligent argument
but WTF ???

Stop sitting on the fence for once in your life and go out on a prayer.

Follow the RFC solely and watch your independence flourish with glee !

Your father will forgive you for having your own mind and eventually respect you for it.It may take time but you will both get there.!!!

I think its actually tougher to stand on your own than fit into a crowd.

I don't really want to change to be honest. i have enjoyed being a supporter of both teams, i won't change for other ppls respect.

Really i can't see why anyone would make such a big deal about it.it's sort of amusing because the players change teams all the time, and ppl act like they have been tigers their whole life.

i have been a tiger and a blue for my entire self-life - and this is the first time i have actually encountered backlash about it period. Maybe because in real life, ppl see me at the games, and see im no different with my passion or support.

Doubt Greg Miller, or Clinton Casey cares. Nor Richo & Deledio (infact i doubt those two would care at all!!) so y are you all so offended by it?

i think my posts have shown that it doesn't mean i know any less about the club, care any less, or pay any less for my membership. Already have both memberships BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back