Melbourne- no chance for the flag at all

Remove this Banner Ad

toina

Debutant
Suspended
Apr 23, 2005
Other Teams
Pies
Melbourne will not win this year's premiership nor let alone make the grand final. Against top teams, St Kilda and West Coast, they have had their pants pulled down. Even last year they failed to win a final. When the pressure comes on, Melbourne are no where to be found.
Melbourne= Pretenders.
Thoughts...

Melbourne are seemingly nothing without David Neitz on the park.

If a team needs a bloke who tries to be a tough man by picking off blokes much smaller than him, to play better, then that's fairly ordinary.

They didn't play that bad today, just beaten by the better team. They just lack tall options that can kick goals, a lot of pressure on the smalls and medium forwards.

Miller is not a forward, he is an extra wingman that starts at CHF. What has he kicked, 2 goals? Neitz is a great player but his body is battered, he can't carry the forward line for so long on his own.

Bruce, Robertson and Yze are great players but it is a lot easier to restrict the smaller forwards in high pressure games.

Melbourne still a good team, have good players around the ground but I think it will be hard for them to win a flag, they do have a chance but I would say it would be small. Big question marks on the defense, a lot will depend on who they play and where. If they are lucky in playing the right teams come september you never know, some luck goes a long way in September.

CammoAU said:
Melbourne are seemingly nothing without David Neitz on the park.

If a team needs a bloke who tries to be a tough man by picking off blokes much smaller than him, to play better, then that's fairly ordinary.

Its pretty hard when everyone on the ground is smaller than you!

FuManchu said:
I was hoping you'd elaborate on the idiocy, not your interpretation of their reasoning

Melbourne are no chance to win the GF because they lost today by 15 points?
It is a stupid claim, Melbourne are still top 4 and will be coming in to September. At their best on the G I am confident that they can beat any team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

193cm and 100kg? Above average but hardly fighting below his weight.

Still finds the smallest bloke he can find and pings them off. Within 5cm or 5kg would be acceptable ;)

At least the Melbourne supporters here are pretty honest and spot on. I was waiting for the usual excuses such as no Neitz, the 5 day break and the poor umpiring.

If both sides had their full teams, the result may have been the same.

However, I thought Manton and Shaw are tools as they tried to hose down Melbournes loss to the above facts. The facts are the Eagles are just slightly ahead the better side.

Chick said the 5 day break made no difference as Melb did not run out of legs and had trained lighty to keep fresh.

Well done to the Melbourne supporters who are reasonable. :)
Great game.

fEarLess_dEMOn said:
Seems like Holland never steps up when Neitz is injured...

Holland's a good third tall, but not a good primary target. On lesser opposition his flaws are not exposed, he doesn't seem to read the play particularly well, but with good hands and a pretty good kick, he is handy on the lead as long as the main focus is on someone else.

I think Melbourne lack a bit of depth. Their first 22 is very talented, but in reality it is very hard for any team to replace someone like Neitz. That combined with the 5 day break really hurt the Dees, they looked flat from the first bounce, and with their run being their most powerful asset, they were never going to be a chance. In order to beat West Coast you need to play man on man and put pressure on them, players like Fletcher and Cousins will cut you up if given space, but crumble under pressure, if you can't keep up with them, you can't put pressure on them.

Goldenblue said:
At least the Melbourne supporters here are pretty honest and spot on. I was waiting for the usual excuses such as no Neitz, the 5 day break and the poor umpiring.

If both sides had their full teams, the result may have been the same.

However, I thought Manton and Shaw are tools as they tried to hose down Melbournes loss to the above facts. The facts are the Eagles are just slightly ahead the better side.

Chick said the 5 day break made no difference as Melb did not run out of legs and had trained lighty to keep fresh.

Well done to the Melbourne supporters who are reasonable. :)
Great game.

See you in September.

come to think about it, when was the last time melbourne won on a saturday afternoon at the MCG? Its been a while i'd say... I think not since the game against Hawthorn in rnd 18 :confused:

Jimi said:
Melbourne are no chance to win the GF because they lost today by 15 points?
It is a stupid claim, Melbourne are still top 4 and will be coming in to September. At their best on the G I am confident that they can beat any team.

actually, I think melb did Ok to only go down by that margin, but West Coast also didnt play the full 100 minutes and Melb had periods where they owned the game.

My only concern with melb is that they have little depth after their best 22 on the field

WestCat said:
Holland's a good third tall, but not a good primary target. On lesser opposition his flaws are not exposed, he doesn't seem to read the play particularly well, but with good hands and a pretty good kick, he is handy on the lead as long as the main focus is on someone else.

I think Melbourne lack a bit of depth. Their first 22 is very talented, but in reality it is very hard for any team to replace someone like Neitz. That combined with the 5 day break really hurt the Dees, they looked flat from the first bounce, and with their run being their most powerful asset, they were never going to be a chance. In order to beat West Coast you need to play man on man and put pressure on them, players like Fletcher and Cousins will cut you up if given space, but crumble under pressure, if you can't keep up with them, you can't put pressure on them.

Melbourne were very good today. They are a very good side. To say they lack in big games is completely wrong. They stood up on one of the biggest stages on monday, and they won the TB game easily against Essendon although that isn't much of a feat.

You can't bag Melbourne for their performance. They kept coming like good sides do.

willydave said:
Melbourne were very good today. They are a very good side. To say they lack in big games is completely wrong. They stood up on one of the biggest stages on monday, and they won the TB game easily against Essendon although that isn't much of a feat.

You can't bag Melbourne for their performance. They kept coming like good sides do.
Didn't roll over and came at them in the last after a 5 day break (only time I'm going to say it) was not a bad effort at all.

sh itty about not winning, but not displeased with the effort of the boys.

What we really lacked was decision making inside 50, numerous opportunities which could have been...

Sylvia played a very good 2nd half for 14 posessions, pity about the donut first half. Moloney needs to life his game though, looked lost against a very pacey opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back