Brad Miller - Do you know where the goals are?

Remove this Banner Ad

GENERAL

Debutant
Suspended
Mar 26, 2005
Other Teams
st kilda.
Centre Half Forward who has kicked 16 goals in his career is a player I fear.

:rolleyes:

GENERAL said:

I guess you thought the same of TRedrea when he used to play between the 50 and the centreline?

We have an abundance of quality goal kickers... any glance at the goal kicking table will tell you that... Miller's job is to keep us playing in the corridor by presenting then handballing to a runner with good skills (green, bruce, johnstone etc) who can deliver to a leading forward (robertson, neitz, yze etc).

does his job well and annoys opposition supporters. simple as that.

GENERAL said:

Brad Miller is part of the reason why Melbourne have kicked the second highest total score so far this year, and only two points away from the highest.

Anything else?

Add this to the list of useless anti-Melbourne threads started by idiots.

Get some new material.

• Banned
rick James said:
I guess you thought the same of TRedrea when he used to play between the 50 and the centreline?

We have an abundance of quality goal kickers... any glance at the goal kicking table will tell you that... Miller's job is to keep us playing in the corridor by presenting then handballing to a runner with good skills (green, bruce, johnstone etc) who can deliver to a leading forward (robertson, neitz, yze etc).

does his job well and annoys opposition supporters. simple as that.
Good response.

However, he doesn't deserve all the accolades you Dees fans give him. He might as well play on the wing if he isn't going to kick any goals.

GENERAL said:
Good response.

However, he doesn't deserve all the accolades you Dees fans give him. He might as well play on the wing if he isn't going to kick any goals.
Not really, because the idea is that he leads up to the wing. If he played on the wing, he'd either have to lead even further up the ground, or just stand there and call for it.

GENERAL said:
Good response.

you should be busted down to Private son! The accolades he gets from Dees fans are simply because he adheres to Reverend Bumpkin's game plan rather then being selfish masturbatory forward - his kick for goal isn't that flash really!

okay since lots of you dumbasses dunno how it works...this is a short version of the melbourne forward line

Neitz/Holland - Fullforward out of the goalsquare with occasion floating up the ground but not very far.

Yze - When permanent forward players out of the goalsquare and goes on the lead plus crumbs 2

Robertson - Same as Yze minus the crumbing. comes out a bit more

Davey - goes anywhere from halfback to full forward. does wateva he wants n regularly gets his 1-2 goals n sometimes more like saturday

Bruce/Green - rotate through there with Yze

as for Miller. he is the link man. dont compare him to tredrae n brown n reidwoldt. besides the obvious fact that he is a fair bit behind them, he plays a different role. he wont drop back into the forward fifty so he can leave it open to yze, neitz, robbo etc who are all very good goalkickers n they share the load better then most forwardlines.

Miller's average day will be like against west coast. 8 marks n a few more possessions then that, mostly handballs as he is the go to man who will pass it off to a moloney or johnstone who is better by foot. then sometimes he has great games like against the pies or roos when he gets 12 or so marks n like 20 touches.

if he dropped back into our forward fifty more often then not only is he getting in the way of neitz, yze and robbo who need space to lead into but his opponent who is gunna be tall is 2.

so plz guys before you critisize his goalkicking realise his spot in the team. im sure he'd love to kick more goals but thats not his role in the team and he is very unselfish in playing exactly the way ND wants him 2.

and yeh is kicking for goal aint great but he will improove. remember when tredrae burst onto the scene? great player but couldnt kick for goal for ********. now he is gun barrell straight like he did last friday kickin 7.1

n guys remember, just cos he aint the regular goalkicking CHF dun mean he aint an important player. he is probably more important then neitz is 2 our structure these days n thats one of the main reasons y we struggled against the hawks

GENERAL said:
Good response.

So if he takes 20 marks, and we win by 10 goals but he kicks 0 goals then it's a failure?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marns said:
Good post earlier marto
im surprised anyone could be ********ed reading it

the tactics i mentioned would be pretty obvious to melbourne supporters and knowledgable afl supporters

melbournemartin said:
im surprised anyone could be ********ed reading it

the tactics i mentioned would be pretty obvious to melbourne supporters and knowledgable afl supporters
Yeah, you reckon

rick James said:

Having said that, after 53 games (the same that Miller has played) Tredrea had 94 goals to his name.

melbournemartin said:
so plz guys before you critisize his goalkicking realise his spot in the team. im sure he'd love to kick more goals but thats not his role in the team and he is very unselfish in playing exactly the way ND wants him 2.

But is that because that is the way Neale Daniher wants to play, or because Miller isn't capable of playing a traditional, contested style CHF role?

Would he not straighten you up further if he contested 50-80m out from goal rather than 100?

Never ceases to amaze me how many deadset stupid, stupid people on bigfooty.

Similar to Hansen, Miller is a quality CHF who mainly plays the position by leading up the ground, taking marks 60-70 metres from goal and directing traffic into the forward line.

When playing that role, a CHF's priorities are
#1- Mark or gather everything that comes his way.
#2- Take enough contested grabs to draw extra defenders to him, and in doing so, clear out space behind him for other forwards to lead into.
#3- lead further up the ground when defenders are in strife, to provide at least a 50-50 contest for them to bomb it to along the line.
#4- push forward for the occasional goal.

And thats it. Their are established, form players like Tredrea and Hall who can effectively be both CHF and also a dominant goalscorer in one, but that's an exception rather than a rule- any goals you get from a CHF a more a bonus than critical to their role.

In the context of the rest of the Dees forward line, Miller usually does his job, and does it very well. In time he might develop into one of the superstar forwards who can kick goals *and* play the CHF role at the same time, but that's by no means a necessity to play the role, not when you have a forward line as good and as prolific as the Dees do.

Longy413 said:
But is that because that is the way Neale Daniher wants to play, or because Miller isn't capable of playing a traditional, contested style CHF role?

Would he not straighten you up further if he contested 50-80m out from goal rather than 100?
he does contest 60-80 usually. sometimes as close as 50 and sometimes as far as 100

he works across a lot of ground that guy, great work rate.

also Meads priorities are spot on, read them and take note

also i have heard on many occasions that ND is very happy with how Miller plays.

Brad Miller is to Melbourne

what

Ash Hansen is to the Eagles

VERY important players who do play that linking up role.

Eagle_Rock said:
Brad Miller is to Melbourne

what

Ash Hansen is to the Eagles

VERY important players who do play that linking up role.
yeh pretty accurate assessment

though you will find hansen inside forward 50 more den Miller.

otherwise they are great at being a linkman to the forward line.

between neitz, yze, robertson, davey, holland, green, bruce we have become the 2nd highest scoring team in the comp, only a few points behind the first ranked eagles.

i am extremly happy with our forward set up atm

Longy413 said:

But why though? We have Neitz, Robertson, Bruce, Davey, Green and Holland all capable of kicking a bag, it makes more sense to have Miller leading, opening up space and creating a link man.
Miller is part of the reason we have scored the second highest points so far.

Mead said:
Never ceases to amaze me how many deadset stupid, stupid people on bigfooty.

Similar to Hansen, Miller is a quality CHF who mainly plays the position by leading up the ground, taking marks 60-70 metres from goal and directing traffic into the forward line.

When playing that role, a CHF's priorities are
#1- Mark or gather everything that comes his way.
#2- Take enough contested grabs to draw extra defenders to him, and in doing so, clear out space behind him for other forwards to lead into.
#3- lead further up the ground when defenders are in strife, to provide at least a 50-50 contest for them to bomb it to along the line.
#4- push forward for the occasional goal.

And thats it. Their are established, form players like Tredrea and Hall who can effectively be both CHF and also a dominant goalscorer in one, but that's an exception rather than a rule- any goals you get from a CHF a more a bonus than critical to their role.

In the context of the rest of the Dees forward line, Miller usually does his job, and does it very well. In time he might develop into one of the superstar forwards who can kick goals *and* play the CHF role at the same time, but that's by no means a necessity to play the role, not when you have a forward line as good and as prolific as the Dees do.

However wouldn't you rather a player do all those? Miller doesn't, neither does Hansen, trust WC supporters to bring up a WC player geez one minded or what?

Why can't these two players do both? Tredrea, Riewoldt, J.Brown all manage to kick goals, lead up the ground, take their 10 marks.

The answer is ...

They simply arn't good enough, end of story.

Demonheart said:
But why though? We have Neitz, Robertson, Bruce, Davey, Green and Holland all capable of kicking a bag, it makes more sense to have Miller leading, opening up space and creating a link man.
Miller is part of the reason we have scored the second highest points so far.

I didn't say Brad Miller wasn't very good at playing his role. I know he is very good at it, I know he runs hard. But is he playing the role of a CHF or a HFF?
If he is usually contesting 50-80 as Martin suggests then he isn't a link man, he is playing at CHF.

What I asked is his role structured that way because he doesn't have the ability to play CHF in the traditional style or because that is the way Daniher wants to play.

I ask you this, if Riewoldt, Lucas, Hansen, Playfair, Tredrea were at CHF for Melbourne would they play as a 'link-man'?
Is Miller doing anything that a midfielder couldn't do?

if miller played closer to goal he would congest out forward line taking away room that neitz, yze and robbo needs to lead into and the crumbinb space for yze and davey would be less 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back