SaintsSupporter

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St. Kilda
Do you think the Crows will go a long way in the finals this year, or do you think they're just pretenders?

There are also some suggestions that they'll be an even/odd year team like Melbourne in 2000-2004. Do you think this will be the case or has Neil Craig got them playing this way for the long term?

Most Crows fans have been crying that their team isn't noticed enough, so this should quieten their complaints down for a bit.

SaintsSupporter said:
Do you think the Crows will go a long way in the finals this year, or do you think they're just pretenders?

There are also some suggestions that they'll be an even/odd year team like Melbourne in 2000-2004. Do you think this will be the case or has Neil Craig got them playing this way for the long term?

Most Crows fans have been crying that their team isn't noticed enough, so this should quieten their complaints down for a bit.
The Crows haven't got anything on some AFL clubs when it comes to vying for the "pretenders" crown.

That crown clearly belongs to a highly-fancied side (many pundits tip for the premiership, and said to have the best list) which is currently just outside the 8.

not being noticed, that's the way they like it.

10 wins and their great percentage at this stage should be enough to get em into the top 2 I reckon for certain. They may be playing poorly lately but that means they'll be better in time for the finals, and if they make it to the top 2 (which they should) then who knows from there, they'll be through to the prelims after taking on one of the teams making up the numbers, then I think they have an away final in Melbourne probably, which they should win.

Pretenders.Against the better teams they have failed.Much like the Dees they are.

weagles_fan said:
Pretenders.Against the better teams they have failed.Much like the Dees they are.
Err, when have the Dees ever got back-to-back AFL flags, or been in the AFL finals three years running?

PS (for clarity):
SaintsSupporter said:
There are also some suggestions that they'll be an even/odd year team like Melbourne in 2000-2004.

ok.crows said:
Err, when have the Dees ever got back-to-back AFL flags, or been in the AFL finals three years running?
Dees of this year and last year.Can beat the crappy teams but fail against the real contenders.The Crows have lost to 3 of the 4 teams,them being the other one.

ok.crows said:

Haha, yeah, because 1997-1999 is so relevant to 2005 :rolleyes:

Wouldn't call them contenders, but definately a better chance than 14 other teams (i.e. there is only one contender!).

Midfield has proven time and again over the years that they can perform when it counts, the forward line may struggle come finals time, only time will tell, coz they will feature.

johnnyhoward said:
not being noticed, that's the way they like it.

10 wins and their great percentage at this stage should be enough to get em into the top 2 I reckon for certain. They may be playing poorly lately but that means they'll be better in time for the finals, and if they make it to the top 2 (which they should) then who knows from there, they'll be through to the prelims after taking on one of the teams making up the numbers, then I think they have an away final in Melbourne probably, which they should win.

If Brisbane make 3rd, the Crows could be in trouble.

If Crows make 2nd and get a win in the first week, the AFL has made some noises already about the possibility that Crows in that circumstance could still get a home Preliminary Final. If that all pans out the Crows could have a modest chance of being in the GF.

Oh, ... BTW ... the Crows are invisible only in Melbourne. Melbournites apparently are quite blind when it comes to footy.

SpringChoke said:
Bit cocky there mate. How's the Wegles finals record since 1994. Could be Port 2002/2003 revisited.
What do the Eagles have to do with this thread?I stated my opinion which is backed up by results from this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

weagles_fan said:
Dees of this year and last year.Can beat the crappy teams but fail against the real contenders.The Crows have lost to 3 of the 4 teams,them being the other one.

Sorry, I thought this thread references to Dees was because of this quote:

There are also some suggestions that they'll be an even/odd year team like Melbourne in 2000-2004.

ok.crows said:
If Brisbane make 3rd, the Crows could be in trouble.

If Crows make 2nd and get a win in the first week, the AFL has made some noises already about the possibility that Crows in taht circumstance could still get a home Preliminary Final. If that all pans out the Crows could have a modest chance of being in the GF.

Oh, ... BTW ... the Crows are invisible only in Melbourne. Melbournites apparently are quite blind when it comes to footy.

Let's say WC make it to the Grannie. I reckon if they play Port, Kangas,Brissie or maybe Adelaide they will lose. If they play any of the other teams vying for a finals berth they should win.

PowerKop said:
definate contenders. They should finish second. From there anything less than a GF appearance will be a failure.

I'm worried about Brisbane. If Brisbane make 3rd and Crows make second, then the Crows would be up against Brisbane in week 1 of finals after playing at Subiaco in round 22.

If the Crows lose that, then the only route to the GF from there would be to knock out West Coast at Subiaco in a Prelim.

The Crows aren't playing well enough for any of that scenario to turn out well.

ok.crows said:
I'm worried about Brisbane. If Brisbane make 3rd and Crows make second, then the Crows would be up against Brisbane in week 1 of finals after playing at Subiaco in round 22.

If the Crows lose that, then the only route to the GF from there would be to knock out West Coast at Subiaco in a Prelim.

The Crows aren't playing well enough for any of that scenario to turn out well.

brisbane need to win every single game to make 3rd. possible, but not likely.

weagles_fan said:

We have only "failed" in the sense that the result didn't go our way.

Against both West Coast and Geelong it is fair to say that we were the better side throughout the day but failed to capitilise some important chances. It's not like we can't compete with these teams. Losing by 11 and 3 points, is just luck which way the result goes.

By your reckoning, there are only 3 good teams in it this year (WC, Melb, Geel) as we have absolutely pantsed other finals contenders in St. Kilda, Sydney, Port Adelaide and Richmond.

pjcrows said:
brisbane need to win every single game to make 3rd. possible, but not likely.

I don't think Brissie will finish top 4. Should finish with 13 wins which will give them 5th or 6th. From there though, they could do some real damage.

Adelaide are an average side playing good footy. I am impressed with Adelaide, but with saying that I'd expect them to be knocked out very early in september. Out of intrest which top sides have the crows defeated?

linga_is_no1 said:
Adelaide are an average side playing good footy. I am impressed with Adelaide, but with saying that I'd expect them to be knocked out very early in september. Out of intrest which top sides have the crows defeated?

Saints at TD, Port, Swans at SCG, Roos I guess.

linga_is_no1 said:

Depends what you consider a "top" side.

We have beaten Sydney, St. Kilda and Richmond all away by over 7 goals.

We have beaten Port and the Kangaroos at home.

We have lost to West Coast, Geelong and Brisbane by under 2 goals, and lost to Melbourne by 4 goals.

That's how we have gone against sides still in the mix for the top 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back