Homophobic AFL players! Time for the AFL to act.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tess

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2002
"on the prowl"
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Northern Saints/VFL Pies
First the AFLPA attacks a website now a player mouths off......

NICK Riewoldt should make amends for a gay slur by starting a campaign to stamp out homophobia in the AFL, Victoria's gay lobby says.

The St Kilda superstar provoked outrage after making a comment vilifying gays on radio.

In a word-association game during the Melbourne Triple M program The Gospel, Riewoldt was asked to respond to the word "homosexual".

He said: "Die."

The forward apologised and tried to get the comment edited out of the program, which he co-hosts with Jason Dunstall, Nathan Brown and Peter Everitt.

"If I've offended anyone in the gay community I'm terribly sorry," Riewoldt told the Melbourne Community Voice newspaper.

"It was an off-the-cuff comment that I shouldn't have made."

But Victorian Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby spokesman Gerard Brody said Riewoldt should go further to prove his sincerity.

"He should encourage players and the AFL to come on board and deal with homophobia," Mr Brody said.

Mr Brody said he was disgusted by Riewoldt's comment

Mr Brody should acknowledge the fact Riewoldt apologised.

I read that article today . Poor remark by Riewoldt but I would be suprised if he was homophobic . I thoughtof it as just some 'blokey ' testosterone football player crap remark.

probably not the smartest comment from Riewoldt.

But who was the moron that decided to put that in a word association quiz.... surely even blind freddie could've seen that it was a big chance to end up in controversy....

Is there anyone out there in bigfooty land that would honesty think that Nick believes that all gays should die.

He has apologised, is that not enough? Does he need to spend the rest of his life paying for a mistake he made in a think quick game??

Black Thunder said:
probably not the smartest comment from Riewoldt.

But who was the moron that decided to put that in a word association quiz.... surely even blind freddie could've seen that it was a big chance to end up in controversy....

Yeah thats what ive been thinking about... why the hell use homosexual in the first place???

I personally put my foot in it quite often and offend people without meaning to, so I can sympathise with him there, but that's still a pretty bad thing to say.:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RoosterLad said:
Yeah thats what ive been thinking about... why the hell use homosexual in the first place???
Well Nathan Brown was the one who said it..that probably explains that.

SirBloodyIdiot said:
Mr Brody should acknowledge the fact Riewoldt apologised.
After realizing the implications of such a stupid comment (or more likely, someone else realizing then telling him), then I'm sure he did apologize. What else is he going to do?

Terrible comment...and the AFL have imposed penalties for far less.

Just because Riewoldt said it doesnt mean he actually thinks it. To be a racist or homophobe you have to actually think that you are superior than them and receive extra undeserved priviliges. Many people make jokes about different religious groups, the colour of peoples skins and/or gay people. 95% of the time they dont actually believe it.

Naturally "Mr Brody" would want the free press and soap box for his own particular minority group.

There's no end to what blood sucking press hungry minority groups will do to gain free press. Might as well ban wool in scarves and beanies to prevent the animal rights activists from spreading the word about crutching sheep....just as important as gay rights isnt it ?...but who cares ?

The AFL needs to take a firm stance and tell the minority groups they cant gain free mileage from our game thru guilt trips.

Keep all these leech minority groups the hell away from our game.

Guilt tripping people in the public domain over a slip of the tongue shouldnt result in leech politics....shouldnt even be newsworthy.

Just another evangelistic crusader....keep these losers and the garbage they peddle away from our SPORT.

Well if he's apologised then I guess it's ok, maybe I'll try that next time I get caught speeding and see how far it gets me.

Even better than apologising, how about taking a page out of Bart Simpson's book and using the 'I didn't do it' line.

I know of gay players from three clubs and would be surprised if most clubs didn't have at least one. Riewoldt not only offended the gay community but a number of his colleagues. And no, I will not name the players who I know are gay.

Bollox said:
Naturally "Mr Brody" would want the free press and soap box for his own particular minority group.

There's no end to what blood sucking press hungry minority groups will do to gain free press. Might as well ban wool in scarves and beanies to prevent the animal rights activists from spreading the word about crutching sheep....just as important as gay rights isnt it ?...but who cares ?

The AFL needs to take a firm stance and tell the minority groups they cant gain free mileage from our game thru guilt trips.

Keep all these leech minority groups the hell away from our game.

Guilt tripping people in the public domain over a slip of the tongue shouldnt result in leech politics....shouldnt even be newsworthy.

Just another evangelistic crusader....keep these losers and the garbage they peddle away from our SPORT.

Many people had the same attitude as you when Michael Long made a formal complaint to the AFL about being raciallly abused by Monkey.

oooze said:
To be a racist or homophobe you have to actually think that you are superior than them and receive extra undeserved priviliges.

such as the right to life perhaps?

Riewoldt's comment was the most stupid, immature thing I've heard from a footballer in quite some time. whether he actually meant it and whether he apologised is irrelevant, because the fact that he even thought it means we have a problem

MaccasNeighbour said:
Well if he's apologised then I guess it's ok, maybe I'll try that next time I get caught speeding and see how far it gets me.

Even better than apologising, how about taking a page out of Bart Simpson's book and using the 'I didn't do it' line.

I know of gay players from three clubs and would be surprised if most clubs didn't have at least one. Riewoldt not only offended the gay community but a number of his colleagues. And no, I will not name the players who I know are gay.

You are a TOOL!

How many people has speeding killed, how many people do you think will die from the ONE word he uttered.

Minority groups trying to be heard, AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back