Other Teams
Western Sydney
Isn't it great to see even the mufti is supporting the Swans. :thumbsu:

Up there, Hilaly!
By Evelyn Yamine
September 28, 2006 12:00
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20486114-5001021,00.html

0,,5258043,00.jpg

THE spiritual leader of Australia's Muslims, Sheik Taj el-Dene Elhilaly, has joined in the football grand final fever hype – and he's backing the Sydney Swans all the way.

The mufti was disappointed when his team – the Bulldogs – did not make it to the NRL grand final and is now relying on the Sydney Swans to redeem the state's sporting reputation.

The self-confessed avid sports fan said he wanted the Swans to bring the cup home again this year.

Wearing a Sydney Swans scarf over his traditional Islamic dress robe, the mufti was not afraid to show off his athletic skills by kicking a ball around in Lakemba this week.

"I like sports in general and I live in Sydney so of course I support the Sydney Swans," Sheik Elhilaly told The Daily Telegraph yesterday.

"With the Bulldogs being out of the competition and no Sydney team in the rugby league grand final, I'm supporting the Sydney Swans.

"We want them to win but win or lose, we are proud of them," he said.

The mufti, who is in the middle of the Islamic fasting season of Ramadan, said he planned to be glued to the television for the football finals on the weekend.

Although he is still interested in the outcome of the NRL grand final between Melbourne Storm and the Brisbane Broncos, the mufti believes the Sydney Swans v West Coast Eagles at the MCG on Saturday is the game to watch.

"I will be watching it. It's important for everyone in NSW to get involved and show support for the only NSW team left in the grand finals," he said.

How do you rate the Sheik's form? Tell us through the feedback form below.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have thought he would have prefered to be a Cats fans! :D

Or maybe he should only watch matches at the Telstra dome. Because it is nearly always covered up appropriately. ;)

JF

Why is this posted now? Article is 3 months old and posted by someone with the user name ''beaussie'' ...nahh no agenda here lets move on

Um, I'll have you know that Beaussie's only agenda is to irritate & annoy as many rugby league supporters as is humanly possible.

He is a gay aboriginal left-leaning preacher of the Aussie Rules gospel in NSW & was famous for his rather dashing hisbollah-esque 'suicide missions' onto www.rugbyleagueunlimited.com. :eek: :D

In his spare time he is also a rather graceful flagwaver in the Swans Cheer Squad, even getting his mug on the screen at the start of the 2005 Grand Final.:eek: :p

Here is the link to his very own forum as well.
http://www.talkingfooty.com/forums/viewtoph.1237-highlight-hilaly.html

JF

Um, I'll have you know that Beaussie's only agenda is to irritate & annoy as many rugby league supporters as is humanly possible.

He is a gay aboriginal left-leaning preacher of the Aussie Rules gospel in NSW & was famous for his rather dashing hisbollah-esque 'suicide missions' onto www.rugbyleagueunlimited.com. :eek: :D

In his spare time he is also a rather graceful flagwaver in the Swans Cheer Squad, even getting his mug on the screen at the start of the 2005 Grand Final.:eek: :p

Here is the link to his very own forum as well.
http://www.talkingfooty.com/forums/viewtoph.1237-highlight-hilaly.html

JF

Sounds like a flip

The sheik's real love is gridiron. He was once a tightend but is now a wide receiver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back