Certified Legendary Thread 44. Corey Enright (2000-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
Corey_Enright_small.jpg

Corey Enright

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 44
Height: 186
Weight: 91
DOB: 14 September 1981
Recruited From: Port Adelaide (SANFL)

Outlook

One of many Geelong players to improve his game significantly in recent seasons, Enright is now a crucial part of the Cats’ midfield/defensive mix. Can play a variety of roles and is proving a durable performer having missed just one game in the past three seasons. Averaged 23 disposals a game in 2008 and his excellent season was rewarded with selection in the All-Australian side. Still has many years of good football ahead of him.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

* Played all 25 games, including all three finals and the grand final
* Gathered 25 possessions on grand final day
* Played his 150th game in AFL grand final
* Had a career best 37 possessions in rd 15 win over Freo
* Also had 36 possessions vs. Crows in rd 14; 35 vs. Hawthorn in rd 17; and 33 vs. Melbourne in rd 19
* Had 20+ disposals in 19 matches
* Selected for All Australian team for the first time
* Played for dream team vs. Victoria in hall of fame game
* Named in South Australia state of origin team
* Finished 7th in best & fairest voting
* Ranked 11th in AFL with 581 disposals and 18th with 282 handballs

* Won first premiership medal in grand final win over Port Adelaide
* Played 24 of 25 games
* Registered 19 games with at least 20 disposals
* Had 29 possessions on grand final day
* Recipient of coach’s award
* Finished 10th in best & fairest voting
* Named in South Australia state of origin team

* Played all 22 games and kicked 11 goals
* Finished 5th in Cats best & fairest
* Had 16 games with 20+ disposals
* Had three games with two goals to match career best
* Played 100th game in rd 21 draw against Melbourne
* Ranked 16th in AFL in kicks with 327
* Had a career high seven tackles vs. Sydney in rd 5
* Member of Cats NAB Cup grand final winning team

* Played 15 games including semi final in Sydney
* Had first 30 possession game in rd 4 win over Essendon (31 possessions), earning three Brownlow votes
* Kicked two goals in a game twice
* Finished 11th in best & fairest voting

* Injury wracked season limited him to nine games
* Came back from injury to play last two finals games
* Played in Wizard Cup grand final

* Played all 22 games
* Finished 5th in Cats best & fairest
* Recipient of coach’s award
* Had 11 games with 20+ possessions
* Played 50th game in rd 17 vs. NM in Canberra

* Played 16 games after early season injury
* Had over 20 possessions seven times
* Named as Cats best team and most constructive player
* Finished 11th in best & fairest voting
* Awarded first Brownlow vote in rd 19 win over St Kilda

* Made his debut in rd 2 win over St Kilda
* Went on to play 17 games in debut season
* First goal came in rd 16 win over West Coast
* Had 22 possessions in rd 20 against Port Adelaide
* Named as Geelong’s best first year player
* Finished 13th in best & fairest voting

* Injuries limited him to VFL football in first year at club

* Played U19 at Port Adelaide in SANFL

* Represented South Australia country U17s

Re: No. 44 Corey Enright

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Played his usual role in the backline, got a fair bit of the ball.

No.44 Corey Enright

Name:Corey Enright
DOB:14/09/81
Height: 186
Weight:91
Recruited: Port Adelaide Magpies
Games:150

Getting better each year. Very underatted player

Re: No.44 Corey Enright

AA would suggest hes not underrated really. He really stepped it up this year big time, love his work. Was a bit of a skeptic about his worth earlier on, not anymore!

Re: No.44 Corey Enright

AA would suggest hes not underrated really. He really stepped it up this year big time, love his work. Was a bit of a skeptic about his worth earlier on, not anymore!

His percentage style of play, and big engine means he's rarely going to give up more than he gets.
The master of controlled agression and consistency.

Meto.

AWARDS

AFL
All Australian 2008

ht_allaustcats_gallery__470x312.jpg

Cats 7/10

Richie Pace 10:40 PM Mon 15 September, 2008

Cats scoop AA awards

Geelong has dominated the All Australian side for the second consecutive season, with seven Cats named in the 2008 All Australian Team.

Geelong had 10 players nominated in the squad of 40 and seven of those were chosen in the stand-out team of the year - defenders Matthew Scarlett, Corey Enright and Tom Harley, midfielders Jimmy Bartel, Joel Corey and Gary Ablett and forward Steve Johnson.

Harley was named vice captain, further enhancing his reputation as one of the AFL’s elite leaders.

Andrew Mackie, Joel Selwood and 2007 All Australian Darren Milburn were the unlucky Cats to miss the team.

Under the format introduced in 2007, the All Australian selectors were asked to nominate the leading players in each section of the field - forwards, defenders and midfielders / ruckmen - with the final team of 22 named at a function.

Eleven different clubs were represented in all with Carlton, Fremantle, Hawthorn, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs each having two players named in the final 22.

A total of nine players were named for the first time in an All Australian side - Nathan Bock, Adam Cooney, Enright, Sam Fisher, Lance Franklin, Harley, Paul Medhurst, Dale Morris and Aaron Sandilands - while eight players were good enough to retain their places from the 2007 side - Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Dean Cox, Brent Harvey, Johnson, Matthew Pavlich and Scarlett.

Scarlett’s selection was the fourth of his career, marking him as one of the greatest full backs of all time.

Geelong
5th best and fairest 2003, 2006
Best first year player 2001
Best team and most constructive player 2002
Coach's award 2003, 2007

Representative honours
Dream Team vs Victoria 2008
South Australia state of origin 2007, 2008
South Australia country U17 1998

Premierships
NAB Cup 2006 (Geelong dft. Adelaide)
AFL 2007 (Geelong dft Port Adelaide)

Cats Announce New Leaders

GEELONG has made some sweeping changes to its leadership group for 2009 with Jimmy Bartel, Gary Ablett, Corey Enright and Joel Selwood the new additions.

The four will join Tom Harley, Joel Corey and Cameron Ling in the group.

Paul Chapman, Cameron Mooney and Max Rooke have all stepped aside.

Ling will once again be Harley’s official deputy, while Corey will become deputy vice captain for the first time.

Geelong general manager of football Neil Balme said it was important to have the right people in leadership positions as the Cats look to wrestle back the flag from Hawthorn.

“We feel that this is a strong area of the club and that the players that have been involved in the program should take a lot of pride in that. Three players have stepped aside to allow some of our younger leaders to step forward,” Balme said.

Balme paid tribute to the outgoing members of the leadership group but said the introduction of four new leaders would strengthen the club.

“It would have been easy to simply continue with the same group, and it is a credit to Cameron, Max and Paul that they recognised that it is important for new players to be involved in the process,” he said.

“We believe that in Gary, Jimmy, Corey and Joel we have an excellent group of players join the group.”

http://www.gfc.com.au/GeelongNews/NewsArticle/TabId/3933/default.aspx?newsId=71300

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Hopefully I have done justice to our B+F !!

Corey Enright

What can be said about Corey Enright that hasn’t been said before? Not a whole lot probably. A remarkable player who despite being a dual best and fairest winner and 4 times all Australian is STILL underrated in the competition.

We Geelong supporters though know exactly how valuable a part of our team he is.

Boris was yet another masterstroke selection from the recruiting guru Stephen Wells. Selected at pick 47 in the 1999 draft, the lad from the dot on the map known as Kimba in South Australia has grown into a player that will go down as one of the all time greats of this footy club.

When thinking about this review I thought it would be good to think of a few words that I thought described the man they call ‘Boris’

- Brave – Enright in 2011 led the cats in marks in the defensive 50, it is not an uncommon site in a Geelong game to see him bravely dropping in front of a charging KPF to intercept the kick and then quickly switch the play. The wonderful Geelong attacking style starting so often at the back.

- Disciplined - Doesn’t get suspended, doesn’t give away cheap free kicks and doesn’t get beaten. Gets a job nearly every week and just goes about his business.

- Consistent – I simply cannot remember the last time I thought he had a poor game. Winning this year’s best and fairest (in a premiership year) is a fairly good indication that he didn’t have many, if any.

- Selfless - More than capable of getting 25-30 touches a game and setting up wave after wave of attacks, but has no issues whatsoever in sacrificing getting a heap of the ball himself to lock down an opponent. We saw this against Cyril in the QF win over the hawks this year, Boris only had 12 possessions but completely shut out one of the most dangerous players on the opposition. The highest tackle count in the defensive unit also shows his willingness to do the hard work for this great club.

There are plenty more and I could go on and on.... Thought best i not! :D

2011 saw Enright average 22.3 possessions a game, slightly down on his last 4 years. This is more an indication on the team’s style of game rather than a reflection on the man himself. He was awarded All Australian honours for the 4th consecutive year – an incredible feat. He became a 3 time premiership player and a dual best and fairest winner.

There were a number of outstanding games for very different reasons. The grand final and qualifying final, as mentioned before in the QF Enright took on Cyril.... and smashed him. One of the key players for the hawks that can do just about anything, he couldn’t get a touch on Enright. Effectively removing one of the hawks 2 avenues to goal.
Similar story to the GF, Enright started on the sometimes dangerous Blair, and then was moved onto and subsequently beat a red hot Andrew Krakouer.

Above both of those performances my personal favourite came against Freo at Subi in round 2. A Geelong mate who wasn’t watching the game was texting me during getting my thoughts and updates. I remember saying to him ‘We wouldn’t have won that game if we didn’t have Enright’
Time and time again in the last quarter he repelled Freo attacks. Thank for me was my favourite as I think he literally was the difference.

Notoriously shy with the media as is his style we barely heard a peep from Boris all year. He just kept on doing his work with minimal fuss. Behind closed door I would suggest that he is very much a lad, I still have no idea where he got that massive hat from after the 09 grand final but that to me very much shows a different side of his personality. He is without doubt one of the boys and a very popular member within the team.
He isn’t a media darling, a 'look at me' type that we see across the league. He doesn't look for the publicity and this probably contributes to him being so underrated outside of the Cats.

Plain and simply put he is just a bloody good footballer, and we are incredibly lucky to have him.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-10-05/enright-announces-retirement

A cornerstone of the GFC. One of the best ever. A loss to the club and the game.

upload_2016-10-4_18-16-26.png
Its with much sadness and a heavy heart - but a blessed feeling that I got see his career and that of those around him in the Greatest Team of All go around that I change his status to retired ( only after leaving him as Certified Legendary Thread title for a while.... he's earned it.)

Go Boris.

Last edited:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-10-05/enright-announces-retirement

A cornerstone of the GFC. One of the best ever. A loss to the club and the game.

View attachment 296470
Its with much sadness and a heavy heart - but a blessed feeling that I got see his career and that of those around him in the Greatest Team of All go around that I change his status to retired ( only after leaving him as Certified Legendary Thread title for a while.... he's earned it.)

Go Boris.
This thread is why I hate player threads hidden away in this abyss.
15 replies in nearly 10 years for someone so great really is a shame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back