Height: 189 cm
Weight: 89 kg
DOB: 4 July 1983
Recruited From: Murray U18

Re: No. 20 Steve Johnson

-Drafted in the 2001 Draft at pick 24
-Played in the VFL premiership in 2002
-Had played 67 games and kicked 108 goals up untill the start of this season

Was suspended by the club for drunk and disorderly conduct and returned in round 6 this year. Since then he has transformed into a match winner for Geelong kicking 4 goals against Freo in Round 8.

Steve Johnson is the x factor of the Geelong side. As well as doing the team things this year he still kicks the freakish goals.

The freak is back,bigger,faster,stronger,fitter and as exciting as ever.The 6 week suspension was the best thing the club ever did in regards to him.
His unpredictability and occasional genius is exactly what our forward line needs to complement Ablett's class,Mooney's strength and intimation,N.Ablett's awareness and the determination of Stokes,Chapman and Varcoe.:thumbsu:

I just can't believe how much of the footy he gets...if he keeps his head and his body stays right he will become one of the most influential forward players in the competition

I just can't believe how much of the footy he gets...if he keeps his head and his body stays right he will become one of the most influential forward players in the competition

He is has incredible sense of where the football is going. Does anyone remember that crumb off the pack in the forwardline against St.Kilda and he hit the post? He has natural football ability, superb to watch when on song.

I wonder if Collingwood are kicking themselves for turning him down?? Glad he is still a Cat though! His work up the ground is great too, has become the complete package this year.

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Kicked the winning goal but other than that was quiet, was tagged though. Fought it off well

He is still limited in not being able to chase but it seems that if he misses the mark he will still dive for the ball. One ordinary game since his return isn't bad. He has earned respect - it was lacking before this year. I see him quite differently now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must confess I had my heart in my mouth when he lined up for the game winner on Sunday...The easy, regulation goals are the ones he can miss. But that was probably the best exponent of a drop punt I have ever seen him kick!

I wonder if Collingwood are kicking themselves for turning him down?? Glad he is still a Cat though! His work up the ground is great too, has become the complete package this year.
I wonder how many on here would have been kicking themselves had he left? Because most of you wanted him gone.

Played an awesome game against the Lions with 3 goals and 23 possessions. Was lively all around the ground and kicked a freaky goal. Was up there for BOG, only Gablett could steal votes on Brownlow night. His skills in the wet really lifted the side when we weren't kicking goals.

Dog was vintage Dog today

If he was a couple of yards quicker hed be a superstar, gets caught holding the ball sometimes which is frustrating. Great footy brain though, If only he had the speed of Varcoe, and if only Varcoe had the know-how of Dog

Mercurial. Some dumb things and then some brilliant ones - wonder whether it's the same player. Missed a sitter today against Lions then turned it on. You have to take the bad with the good and hope one outweighs the other.

I deadset thought Stevie was gone, but he's proving me wrong, that 5 match suspension looks to be the best thing that's happened to him.

The freak is back,bigger,faster,stronger,fitter and as exciting as ever.The 6 week suspension was the best thing the club ever did in regards to him.
His unpredictability and occasional genius is exactly what our forward line needs to complement Ablett's class,Mooney's strength and intimation,N.Ablett's awareness and the determination of Stokes,Chapman and Varcoe.:thumbsu:

Just wanted to say it one more time. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

how about when he tried to kick a goal lying on the ground when two team mates were running past him?

or when he was on the half back line and tenace was shouting at him how how he was and he still thought he had all the time in the world?

im waiting for the GF, when we are 3 points down and he marks the ball 40m out, the siren blows and steve johnson has only to kick a goal. what does he do?

a) play on
b) not make the distance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back