# Equaled career best with 13 marks in rd 16
# Led the AFL in score assists
# Ranked 5th in the AFL with 201 marks
# Played 150th AFL game in rd 6 win over Freo, a one point win
# Played for dream team vs. Victoria in AFL hall of fame match
# 150th Geelong game came in rd 18 win over Richmond
# Finished 6th in Cats best & fairest
# Kicked 200th career goal in rd 22 win over West Coast

# Won his second premiership medal, kicking five goals in grand final win over Port Adelaide
# Played all 25 games and kicked 67 goals
# Named in All Australian team for the first time
# Finished 4th in AFL goal kicking with 67 and ranked 6th in the AFL with 191 marks
# Won Geelong’s leading goal kicker trophy
# Had five x five goals in a game
# Failed to register double figure possessions only twice all year
# Finished 7th in Cats best & fairest
# Kicked multiple goals in 18 of 25 games
# Kicked 100th career goal in rd 6 win over Richmond

# Played 17 games and kicked 22 goals
# Career best 13 marks came vs. Freo in rd 12
# Had seven games with multiple goals
# Played 100th game with Cats in rd 10 vs. West Coast
# His late goals ensured Geelong won the NAB Cup against Adelaide
# Won Geelong’s community champion award for his efforts with sick kids

# Played 17 games including both finals
# Registered double figure disposals in all but one game
# Set a career high with 26 possessions vs. West Coast in rd 21
# Equaled that in elimination final win over Melbourne, adding two goals
# Finished 5th in Cats best & fairest
# Played 100th AFL match in rd 22 win over Richmond, a one point win
# Finished 9th in Cats best & fairest

# Played 24 of 25 games, including all three finals
# Was instrumental in semi final win over Essendon with 23 disposals
# Had first ever 20 possession game in rd 4 win over Richmond
# Went on to post 20+ disposals six times over the season
# Received first best on ground from umpires, getting three Brownlow votes in rd 11 vs. Dogs
# Kicked three goals in rd 8 win over Melbourne
# Won coach’s award
# Played in Wizard Cup grand final against St Kilda

# Played 14 games with 10 goals
# Kicked two goals three times
# Played 50th AFL game in rd 4 win over Melbourne
# 50th Geelong game came in draw with West Coast in rd 20

# Established as senior player with 19 games and 28 goals
# Kicked multiple goals in nine games
# Kicked four goals vs. Collingwood in rd 15 and three goals in four other games
# Received first Brownlow vote in rd 15 win over Collingwood
# Had double figure disposals in last 10 matches

# Played 11 games and kicked three goals
# Set career high with 13 handballs vs. Collingwood in rd 14
# Had 59 hit outs playing as part time ruckman

# Made debut for Geelong in rd 17 against St Kilda
# Kicked six goals in six senior games

# Made AFL debut in NM rd 7 win over Adelaide at MCG
# Earned premiership medal in just 11th AFL game as NM defeated Carlton in grand final
# Played two finals and nine home & away games, and kicked two goals
# Kicked his first AFL goal in rd 19 win over Sydney
# Traded to Geelong after season as part of Leigh Colbert deal

# Came back from ACL injury and played all season in reserves

# Ruptured his ACL in practice match and missed season

# Played TAC Cup with NSW/ACT Rams

Re: No. 21 Cameron Mooney

Awards

AFL
All Australian 2007

Geelong
Fifth best and fairest 2004
Coach's award 2004
Community champion 2006
Leading goalkicker 2007

Premierships
AFL 1999 (Kangaroos dft. Carlton)
NAB Cup 2006 (Geelong dft. Adelaide)
AFL 2007 (Geelong dft Port Adelaide)

Representative honours
Dream Team vs Victoria 2008

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Stepped up early when we were in need. Ended up with 3 goals and took some nice marks. Sucked his thumb when he kicked a goal, in honour of his new born

We love ya Moondogs! Inspired the boys in the first quarter today. We'd be gone if it wasn't for his accurate kicking under pressure.:thumbsu:

I have been given the opportunity to cover the Moonster this season and this is my first post of many, hopefully plenty of good play to come from him this season:thumbsu: Starting with this, reported by Ammo Man on the main board:

"When asked on radio tonight who would be the main full forward this year, Bomber said Mooney.With Hawkins and/or Lonergan rotating. He also said Ottens would spend more time in the forward line as he's been impressed with West's development as ruckman."

Mooney has been given permission to miss tomorrow night's NAB semi final to attend his brother's wedding.

CAMERON Mooney has been given permission to attend his brother's wedding in Geelong instead of playing in tomorrow night's NAB Cup semi-final against Carlton.
Further putting the pre-season competition into perspective, Mooney asked Mark Thompson whether he could miss the game and the Cats coach was more than happy to oblige.

"As a footballer you get to miss so much and as an industry we've got to make it as normal as it possibly can - be more flexible," Thompson said.

"He came and asked me probably two months ago (and) I think he's in the wedding party . . . probably, I hope so."

Mooney's brother, Heath, will be married in Geelong tomorrow afternoon.

The veteran forward hasn't played a NAB Cup match but will line up next week, and more than likely in the NAB Grand Final after the teams for the semi-final were announced yesterday.

Thompson said one match as conditioning in the lead up to the Round 1 Grand Final rematch was not an issue for Mooney.

"He'll go into the season having played one game, like Buddy, probably like Hodge," he said.

How important is it that he will only get 1 game before the season proper?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mooney out of final but right for round one

GEELONG forward Cameron Mooney remains on track for round one despite being left out of the side for Friday’s NAB Cup decider against Collingwood.

Cats coach Mark Thompson said the club would love to have Mooney on the field at Docklands on Friday night, but his stuttering lead-in to 2009 forced their hand.

Mooney was steadily working his way through the pre-season before becoming sore last month. The club had to reduce his workload and has decided not to risk him in what is likely to be a high-intensity grand final against Collingwood.

However, Thompson said Mooney would play against the Hawks in round one.

“He won’t play a game next weekend, so he’ll go in without playing a [practice] game,” Thompson said.

“That’s a fair risk and we wish he had have been right to play this match but he’s not.”

Thompson said the 2007 All-Australian had to be eased through the off-season.

“Cam’s a bit old and tired and he doesn’t really like pre-seasons that much to be honest,” he said.

“He did get a bit of soreness a while ago, about three weeks ago but he’s over it, just about over it, but we just didn’t want to risk it in this match.”

Mooney isn’t the only Cat battling a niggle. James Kelly will miss the clash with what the coach described as a “sore bum”.

“Kelly’s in the situation where if we were playing round one we probably would take the risk,” he said.

“He’s got a strain in his bum, so again we just thought ‘why risk it?’.

“We’ll make sure he’s right for round one and there’s a good replacement in.”

There is better news surrounding David Wojcinski, however, who will enjoy his first stint at senior level since last year’s preliminary final.

The dashing defender has spent much of the off-season battling an achilles injury but is approaching full fitness.

“He played last week in the reserves and that was a week earlier than we thought,” Thompson said.

“He’s very lucky but again he’s someone we’d consider for round one. We want to give him that experience of playing at that intensity [against Collingwood].

“He’ll be a substitute player; he’ll play half a game and hopefully he does well.”

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/73144/default.aspx

Mooney To Face Hawks
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25240374-19742,00.html
CAMERON Mooney is a certainty to play in Friday night's Grand Final rematch according to Cats coach Mark Thompson The big forward did not play a match in the pre-season, but Thompson said he wasn't concerned that Mooney would be lacking game fitness.
The Geelong coach also said he was not going to be "ambushed" by talk that the Hawks were underdone and speculation about where Lance Franklin would line up.

Not really big news that, but how does everyone think he will go with no pre-season games under his belt? I don't think he will need to be at his absolute best, but he does need to perform well on Friday night. Here hoping for a lazy 5 goals and a few fist pumps from the moonster:)

Cats have room for tall trio: Mooney

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rf...all-trio-mooney/2009/03/28/1237657208017.html

Emma Quayle | March 29, 2009

CAMERON Mooney believes there is room in the Geelong side for himself, Tom Lonergan and Tom Hawkins, and expects the trio will occupy a much more accurate forward line within the next few weeks.
After the Cats kicked 15.21 to hold Hawthorn out on Friday night — and scoring 18.19 in the NAB Cup grand final and 11.23 in last year's grand final — Mooney said the players had been working hard on their goal-kicking routines and felt sure they would see results soon.
"A few of the shots we missed tonight (Friday) were snaps over heads, so that played into it, but a few of the set shots were reasonably easy and in some ways you've just got to laugh and move on," said Mooney, who kicked 2.2 in Geelong's eight-point win, his first match for the year.
"We've had a group of forwards working together, as well as some of the midfielders who get a lot of shots on goal. Every week we're going through our routines, to find what feels comfortable, and we're just practicing over and over.
"You wouldn't think it with the way we kicked tonight, but we are doing a lot of work and hopefully in the next few weeks we'll be a bit more accurate and see all that work come together."
Mooney, who struggled in the last six weeks of the pre-season with niggling hamstring and calf injuries, was preferred to Hawkins for the grand final rematch, but expected the 20-year-old, who was eased into the pre-season games, to be back in the side soon.
With Lonergan able to flick between the forward line and defence, as he did for part of Friday night, Mooney said the match committee didn't necessarily have to choose between the trio.
"We can definitely play in the same side," he said. "Tom's (Lonergan) able to go down back and that's pretty handy with Tommy Harley still being out, so we should be able to rotate the three of us through the forward line.
"We didn't do it this week because I was underdone and Hawk's still a little bit underdone, too. We knew it would be a tight game and we didn't want the two of us playing, but in a week or two I think we'll definitely see him in the side."

Well after a few quiet weeks as he made it back to some semblance of form, the Moondog was back to his best on Sunday. Despite Ablett's brilliant effort I thought Mooney was our best player, and the way the forwards all did their job looks really good as the season progresses. That weak forward line of ours eh? Only the most prolific thus far, long may it continue:)

Re: Like a phoenix from the ashes - Geelong Board player review is back!

Just to see how things have changed heres what I was thinking 5 years ago.

Cam Mooney , Geelong Board player review 23/9/2006

Cam’s season was probably a template for the Cats. In general it was a blend of spasmodic highs and lows that in the end it was a disappointment because of the expectation we all had pre-season.

The man Rex call’s “The Big Hairy Cat” is the type of player we all love to love and all love to hate. He can be great but he is also flawed He is very close to the full package but on occasions one has to wonder just what that package is full of. Like the girl with the curl when he is good he is very, very good but when he is bad he is horrid. He is like a cross between a Russian Doll and a Rubik’s cube, just when you think you may one may have finally solved the conundrum , you find there is another frustrating challenge deep inside.

He can take a strong mark, excellent in a contest or on the lead and has a body that can protect the ball from a defender. Generally he is a very good kick although his set shot seemed to go off a little towards the end of this year; he normally strikes the ball well and can strike the ball with a nice penetrating trajectory on the run. He has a physical presence on the field that demands respect; one can only wonder what a player like him would have done in the 70’s. I can just try to imagine him running riot in that era which had a far more lenient attitude to what happened on the field. He has good mobility for a man his size previously demonstrating this by running in the middle He has character, the enjoyment the pain that is apparent after a win or a loss is all their to see, he hides nothing and in this is probably endears himself even more to the supporters .He appeals to young and old alike so why isn’t this guys a superstar? We all know he has on major flaw, he at times acts like a dill.

He may be big, hard man but tempered he is not. The man with the cool hair just is not that cool at times in fact at times, he can be a real a nut job. This hardly is a secret, I’m sure every player in the AFL knows that Cam has a hair trigger. It’s not so much a White Line Fever situation as he, at times, just sees red. The funny thing is I don’t mind this too much, there is a degree of unpredictability with Cam that you get with very few other players. If you want to play the “Jumper Punch” game with Cam, pretending to be the big tough footballer, then you risk getting a response well beyond what you thought you were buying into. The trouble is Cam really does this Nutjob act without any real benefit to the team , like his little love taps how does he think this help the team?. One really has to wonder how many times the man has to be done over before he gets it. The man who could have been Captain has blown that chance for totally stupid unreasoned acts that helped the team, not one jot.

For 07. As I’ve previously said Cam is one our best players and for him and us to reach our potential we have to work out a way to channel his personality in a proactive manner. So do we send him of to Swami , to find in peace thru meditation? One idea, from way out ,there is putting him on the other side of the fence. Id would be interesting to see him coaching some kids in footy, U12, U14 , maybe him being the one watching without have total control would enable him to see the light. Maybe a more realistic option would be to have him mentor a couple of young kids when they come onto our list. Just to thrust some duties that are given to senior upon him and he may just settle into a more mature player. As far as on the field, I think he will probably continue to be our gap filler. He plays well as a sweeper down back as long as he doesn’t have to worry too much about an opponent. He can be devastating on the forwardline and as a super mid he can break games. I think I prefer him in the last role best of all, running hard being unobstructed in his approach to the ball and helping out either end, and maybe if he does run himself hard he just may to stuffed to do this silly little acts that are the only reason this guy isn’t in the best 50 players in the AFL

Cam Mooney , Geelong Board player review 13/10/2011

So here we are nearly 5 years later. So much has changed and so much of it can be directly be related to our Cam. What a journey he has taken us on.

I look at review of him I did post 06 and I really did feel that he was yet another talented player that was doomed to having a wasted career in the Hoops. To be honest I don’t think he was too happy either. It came out much later he was only a breath away from playing elsewhere I suppose the vibe at the Cats wouldn’t have been that great back then.

I still think one of the best personal games I saw him play was against Melbourne in the finals of 05. On ball , he was an awesome rolling tank of a player but having so much midfield talent we really did need him elsewhere. That he held down the role of being our main target for the majority of this time shouldn’t be under estimated. Simply , I doubt our era could have been without him as a key forward. We have be underwhelmed with tall forward talent and over this time , as he matured as a man and player he has gone from a one time lucky North Melbourne Premiership player to a 3 times Premiership player and a legend of the Geelong Football Club.

Sure the 08 GF probably created a little Monkey that never really left his shoulder , that kick before half time is just so typical of Cam. He is far from perfect. He has admitted that he was already think about doing a Dermie, kicking the goal running thru some Hawk players as they went in for the break.

Cam is flawed but its these flaws that have enamoured him to the Cats faithful.
After that loss, along with Chappy, he declared that we would do everything they could to never lose to the Hawks again. And they didn’t

Most thought he was going to retire after 2010 but because he didn’t , we got a ringside view of how far he has come. The many games he played in the VFL working his A off for the chance to get back to fitness. As TomH struggled thru the season , he looked assured of a place in the side but just on the cusp of his last final series , big Tom hit form. How easy would it have be for him to spit the dummy yet on Grand Final day , when Pods went down , and we seemed in trouble , there he was Moons talking , encouraging , rousing the Tomahawk. And sure enough Tom lifted on the back of Moons talk.

To listen to him on the B&F night say he was proud and happy to see Tom play that way because knew he could not have done it. Now that a true clubman.

Cam along with several others will leave this year. The immaturity that he sort of showed when frustrated is really gone. He not only focus’s on his own form , he has become the paragon of a clubman.I hope he is proud of himself , he should be. I hope he leave contented. He came to an ordinary club , he leaves us when the club is a power and he had a lot to do with it.

Well done Cam !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back