Sponsored 5. Travis Varcoe (2006-, officially sponsored by the BigFooty Geelong Board 2006-)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
Travis_Varcoe_small.jpg

Travis Varcoe

About

The Cats’ first pick in the 2005 NAB AFL Draft spent last season developing in the VFL after a delayed start to the year with a foot injury. Played 15 games in the VFL, including the Grand Final, and produced flashes of brilliance that will have Geelong fans excited. Missed some games at the end of the season with a quad injury and will be a player to watch this year.

Fast Facts

Jumper No: 5
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 78 kg
DOB: 10 April 1988
Recruited From: Central Districts

2007 Home & Away Totals

Matches: 11

Goals: 14

Marks: 18

Disposals: 90

Kicks: 51

Handballs 31

Tackles: 49

season average: 8.2 disposals, 4.6 kicks, 1.6 marks, 3.5 handballs, 4.5 tackles, 1.3 goals

Re: No. 5 Travis Varcoe

He seems to have taken that next step this year , last year in the 2's I got the impression that his heart wasnt really in it. Think he really has faith in his ability now and he isnt scared to take a chance. He has a spot now and can only get better with every game he plays. well done Travis

He is filling a big role down forward that's for sure with stokes. Have loved his work and think with a few more seasons under his belt he will become a killer midfielder as well.

Gazza presence inspires Varcoe
03 June 2007 Sunday Herald Sun
Jon Ralph

TRAVIS Varcoe has not only inherited the jumper of the most famous figure in Geelong's history, he gets one-on-one advice to boot.

The reintroduction of Gary Ablett Sr No.5 has coincided with more regular appearances of the great man, and that means Varcoe gets the chance to get some quality time with him.

"It's a great buzz when you get to see him in the rooms at half-time or at the end of games," Varcoe says.

"It's amazing the feeling he brings to the club and the amount of excitement he generates.

"I have spoken to him a few times about the number. It's a great honour to be part of that history with the jumper.

"He just said pretty much don't worry about the number or anything, just have fun and do what you do and make it your number.

"I have taken that advice on. It's not like you are running around looking at your number or thinking about it."

Varcoe might not be looking over his shoulder during games, but his forward-line pressure and tackling skills has ensured opposition defenders are.

The talented Aboriginal goal sneak has kicked 11 goals in his seven games this year, but it is his 29 tackles and continued defensive pursuits that have kept him in a well-settled Geelong side.

His formline has been in strong contrast to last year's debut season at Geelong in which a badly broken foot prevented him from justifying the wraps placed on him.

Varcoe's brilliant junior career was cut short when his foot was trodden on just as he had forced his way into the Central Districts seniors in the first few rounds of the SANFL season in 2005.

As a player considered a top-three draft fancy he began to drift in considerations.

Ultimately, he had to be pushed to nominate for the draft.

"I didn't think anyone would consider me because of the foot," he says.

But Geelong swooped at selection 15, and stayed patient last year as he missed the entire pre-season then returned in Round 5 to play about 10 mediocre games in the VFL.

Finally injected into the senior side for the NAB Cup semi-final, he sharked two goals, then repeated the dose in his AFL debut in Round 2 against Carlton.

After his first full pre-season, Varcoe is now displaying the form that saw him so highly regarded, and is determined to keep it up.

"I am working my butt off to stay in, because it's a very special team to be part of. My job is to hold the ball in and buzz around and be a nuisance to the backline.

"I just do my job putting forward pressure on and that is basically what you want from your small forwards. The bigger guys love it if you get a goal out of it, or just even keep it in there."

Varcoe admits he is still swept up in the joy of living out a boyhood fantasy.

"It's a bit surreal, I guess," he says. "It's your dream of doing it and it is why you are at the club.

"I don't know how to explain it, but every time you take another step, you think, 'Am I really doing this?"

Round 11 Versus Crows:

Had a pretty poor game all up 7 possessions for the game kicking a behind from a set shot. Over-run the ball several times and generally his defensive pressure which has been so good lately, was negated. Game rating 3/10.

AFL Round 11 v Adelaide
Never stops trying, always chases the players. Not strong enough for seniors IMO, can't stick the tackles very well. Missed a handball for an easy goal from Chappy. Did a great run down of McLeod but unfortunately McLeod just got a boot to it and it was called play on, shocking decision IMO

Game against Brisbane:

Stats: 7 kicks, 10 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 1 goal.

Great effort today in pretty horrible conditions. Presented himself beautifully to crumb but over-ran the ball a few times. His forward pressure was very good again in a stop start game and his goal showed flashes of his potential brilliance.

overall 6/10

A lady rang up K-rock saying that she didn't rate him at all. She said he nevers gives 2nd and 3rd efforts. K-rock replied by saying his stats today and arguing against her and she was just like "oh um well i dont think hes that good"
I thought she was a clown

17 possies in the forward pocket is a great effort, but also reflects the inside 50's the Cats had. There are still people who don't rate him but I am just waiting for that game where he kicks 3 goals.

17 possies in the forward pocket is a great effort, but also reflects the inside 50's the Cats had. There are still people who don't rate him but I am just waiting for that game where he kicks 3 goals.
richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game Versus Swans: 9 disposals, 7 kicks, 2 handballs, 6 tackles, 1 goal.

Stats don't really show the kind of game he played. His forward defensive pressure in the first half in particular was as per usual excellent. Laid two very memorable tackles including the one where he took Malceskis shirt off and got a holding the ball. Overall 5/10 for the game.

Round 14 Essendon Versus Geelong at the TD.

3 kicks, 3 handballs, (6 disposals), 3 marks, 3 tackles

Kept very quiet tonight by the Bombers bigger bodied players. I am wondering if it is coming time for him to be dropped back to the VFL for a couple of weeks rest. Overall 2/10 for the game.

Seemed to lack his usual zip,agree with you Catman,might be time for a rest (the kid is only 18). Freshen him up,2-3 games in the two's and then bring him back.

Round 14 Essendon Versus Geelong at the TD.

3 kicks, 3 handballs, (6 disposals), 3 marks, 3 tackles

Kept very quiet tonight by the Bombers bigger bodied players. I am wondering if it is coming time for him to be dropped back to the VFL for a couple of weeks rest. Overall 2/10 for the game.
Yep i reckon a rest is the way to go. Give Prismall a go.

Round 15 Versus Collingwood

4 Disposals (1 kick & 3 handballs), 1 tackle

again not a great game for Trav and I do feel he is due to be dropped for a few weeks. But I think he stayed in the side because of his role in the forward line. But his effectiveness is being challenged.

overall 2/10

his disposal and mark arnt great, he should really work on that. The rest of his game in the forward line is good.

Round 15 Versus Collingwood

4 Disposals (1 kick & 3 handballs), 1 tackle

again not a great game for Trav and I do feel he is due to be dropped for a few weeks. But I think he stayed in the side because of his role in the forward line. But his effectiveness is being challenged.

overall 2/10

True. Apart from me my whole family is Geelong so I follow them closely. I was the only one silly enough to go for who I go for. Any way on Varcoe. Huge talent. He puts on fantastic forward pressure but even that has dropped off. The Essendon game I really noticed he had dropped off in this regard. The problem is that his output possession wise and goals wise is poor. Good problem to have. The cats are flying so there is great pressure for spots. Good luck in September, I'll keep waiting for 2011!

Travis Varcoe 2007

What a year for Travis. Not only has he contributed to the senior sides success, he has been involved in a VFL premiership.

2007 Home & Away Totals

Matches: 18
Goals: 15
Behinds: 6
Marks: 35
Disposals: 144, average 8.1 per game
Kicks: 72
Tackles: 73, average 4.1 per game
Frees For: 6
Frees Against: 11

Travis main role in the forward line this year was to provide defensive pressure with his pace and tackling, and hopefully rove a few goals in the process. Early in the season he seemed to be a fairly successful inclusion but as the season wore on I felt other teams had figured him out pretty well. Travis's problem is that he is fairly light on the tackle and often is reluctant to go after the hard ball. His pace is excellent and has shown flashes of freakish foot and hand skills that we see with aboriginal players. But the larger bodied defenders soon reallised that when it came to strength they had him beat.

What he needs to do for 2008

What we may forget is that his 2006 season was injury hampered so 2007 marks a huge improvement in his game. In 2008 Travis needs to continue to work on his aerobic fitness and his strength. I am not sure he will return to that defensive forward role that we seen this year as the Cats game plan may evolve without that role. But he definitely is a player who will play forward pocket and rotate through the midfield at this stage. I think in the future he could even play a Steven Johnson type role on the HF flank, pushing up the ground to provide defensive support as well as kick goals. But he needs to get much fitter at this stage.

Varcoe wants midfield magic

25 January 2008 Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

TRAVIS Varcoe couldn't have been happier for his Geelong teammates on Grand Final day last year.

But the exciting youngster still can't help but wonder what it would have been like to have been a part of the action.

After being named as an emergency for the Grand Final, Varcoe was as close as he could get to playing without physically taking the field against Port Adelaide.

But the 19-year-old is using the Cats' premiership success as a spur to take his own game to another level this season.

"Everyone at the club was a part of it, but it would have been nice to be part of the team that actually finished the job off," Varcoe said.

"I was really happy for the boys to do what they did during the year and to actually finish it off, but at the same time I really wanted to be part of it. I will just use it as motivation and try to go one step further this year."

However, Varcoe did not completely miss out on the fun, playing in Geelong's flag-winning VFL team.

It was an impressive debut season for the Cats' top draft pick of 2005 (No. 15 overall), who played 18 senior games after making his debut against Carlton in Round 2.

"I was happy to play one or two (games) last year and have a bit of a taste, but to play as many as I did, I was pretty rapt," Varcoe said.

"I know I have got to step up again, and hopefully I can do that."

Varcoe admitted his body had tired towards the end of the season, but said he had worked hard during the pre-season to ensure he could keep his battery fully charged.

"I felt it towards the end (of the season), but what I am doing now in the pre-season is trying to get the body right so hopefully next year (2008) that won't occur," he said.

"I'm just trying to get my fitness up because the aim is to get into the midfield for a little bit.

"I've definitely improved and I'm looking forward to the practice matches that are not too far away."

Varcoe was given the honour of wearing the famous No. 5 jumper, which had been on ice since Gary Ablett Sr retired in 1997, when he arrived at the club.

Despite the guernsey's history - it was also worn by Graham "Polly" Farmer - Varcoe said he had felt no extra pressure from it.

"Gary Sr has come down a few times to the club and said, 'Don't worry about it. It's just a number, make it yours'," Varcoe said.

"I thought, 'That's come from Gary himself', so I have taken it on board.

"I am hoping that I can contribute something to it. I am just honoured to wear it."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,23105296%5E19742,00.html

Outlook
Emerging young player who looks set to take the next step. Earned his senior recall in round nine and did not lose his place for the remainder of the season. Played his best game in the preliminary final against the Western Bulldogs when he had 18 possessions and took seven marks. Applies a great deal of forward pressure and twice had eight tackles in a game last year.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

# Played 16 games (14-2) including all finals and the grand final
# Had best game of his career in prelim final win over Bulldogs, with 18 possessions
# Had seven tackles in qualifying final win over St Kilda
# Had career best eight tackles in rd 13 vs. West Coast

# Played 18 games (16-2) in breakthrough season
# AFL debut came in rd 2 vs. Carlton where he kicked two goals
# Kicked career best three goals vs. Richmond in rd 6
# Played 18 of 22 home & away matches but was emergency for all finals, including the grand final
# Member of the Cats VFL premiership team

# First year with the Cats was spent at VFL level
# Was first Geelong player to wear number 5 since Gary Ablett sr in 1997
# Member of Geelong’s VFL grand final team

# Made senior SANFL debut for Central District playing two games before suffering broken foot
# Played for Australia vs. Ireland in U17 international rules

# Won SANFL U17 premiership with Central District
# Represented South Australia U16 at national championship

Remove this Banner Ad

Back