New Orleans Saints, Detroit Tigers

Height: 173 cm

Weight: 87 kg

Date of Birth: 8th October 1983

Nickname: D-Rod

Twitter Handle:

Position: Midfielder

SANFL Club: Norwood

Recruited From: Richmond (2006 National Draft Pick #86)

Other AFL Clubs: Richmond (2002-2006, 65 games, 43 goals)

Career Games (to end of 2012): 176 (62 wins, 1 draw, 113 losses)

Career Goals (to end of 2012): 129

For more career stats click here

Honours:
  • 2000, 2001 TAC Cup Morrish Medal (B&F)
  • 2002 AFL Rising Star Nominee
  • 2007 PAFC Most Improved Player

More info on David Rodan:
David struggled for form and consistency through 2012 and ended up being traded to Melbourne at the end of the season. A long term fan favourite, David’s best work in 2012 came as being the sub, such as his match winning performance in Round 1 and is excellent performance against Richmond in Round 23. Aside from that, David failed to consistently find the ball from quarter to quarter and found himself dropped three times during the year. David played 111 AFL, 11 SANFL and 1 SANFL reserves match whilst on Port Adelaide’s list.

Highlight Reel:

I wanted to be the first to post in here because this man has become one of my favourite players in the AFL, suits the character of our club perfectly, and is an inspiration.

D-Rod is frickin exciting to watch

Also, pound for pound, he has to go down as one of if not the strongest in the AFL

A feel good article about one of my Buddy players

http://portadelaidefc.com.au/tabid/6038/News/NewsArticle/Default.aspx?newsId=54374

HIS TIME last year David Rodan had only been in Adelaide three weeks.

The pint-sized midfielder was hell-bent on impressing his new club with blistering form on the track, and away from football, he was adjusting to life in a new city.

Now 12 months on, with a Grand Final and a sixth placing in the Power’s best and fairest under his belt, things are a “bit different” for the former Tiger discard.

“I think last year I was on the chopping block a bit more and things were a bit nervy and stressful,” Rodan said.

“But this time around I’m finding it more enjoyable, especially coming off the camp in Port Lincoln last week.”

The Fijian-born onballer, who was taken with the last 'live' pick in the 2006 NAB AFL draft, was arguably the recruit of the year after he played every game for the Power and thrilled fans with his speed and awareness around goal.

Now that he’s proved his doubters wrong, Rodan says the pressure is on to back up his career-best season.

“I suppose it’s important for me to have another good year in ‘08’, but it’s even more important for the team,” he said.

“If I improve and everyone else improves hopefully we can go that next step. We have a lot of quality young players and if we keep developing I think we can be a good team for a little while.”

“There’s a lot of pressure on me, but I’m looking forward to it. I’ve tried to come back fitter than last year and I’m just really looking forward to taking the challenge again.”

Rodan, who is just ten matches shy of the 100-game milestone, is also ready to take up a bigger role within the playing group.

At 24, Rodan is considered to be one of the more senior members in the young Power squad and he’s expecting more responsibility next season.

“There are a few blokes, including myself that have put their hands up and are showing real good leadership qualities,” he said.

“We’ve got good leaders and quality players in Warren Tredrea, Dean Brogan and Chad and Kane Cornes. Those guys have been there for a long time and now we’re looking for the next bunch to step up.”

“The training camp last week was all about leadership, giving new roles to the younger players and also to the guys emerging from that middle group. Hopefully myself and a few other boys can step up next year and take the next step.”

One young player who is quickly making a name for himself at Alberton is lanky Victorian Matthew Lobbe.

The 199cm draftee kept a position alongside frontrunners Kane Cornes, Matt Thomas and Tom Logan in the Power’s gruelling conditioning session on Tuesday.

“Matt’s a great runner,” Rodan said.

“He’s a big fella and blessed with running ability. I think the club can look forward to him improving his fitness level and becoming a good, hard running player, which is a quality that’s hard to find in a big guy.”

Several of the Power boys, including senior coach Mark Williams who received treatment on his calf, felt the pinch after an intense 45-minutes of running.

“I think for the most of this year the boys have trained pretty well and today again everyone ran really well, the boys were beating their times and we’re looking forward to next year,” Rodan said.

“I think the guys have gone over the Grand Final somewhat and are using it this pre-season to train harder and take the next step.

"Everyone came back from the break in good shape and to the boys’ credit everyone’s ready to go and we’re going into the Christmas break very confident with where we’re at.”

n668067098_286195_9115.jpg

Stats from Round 1 taken from Pro Stats (not sure how he can have 12 disposals yet 16 uncontested poss.) maybe that is meant to be 6. Thought he played reasonably well and got some good clearences from some in and under work when thrown in the middle.

Disposals 12
Kicks 4
Marks 2
Handballs 8
Tackles 4
Goals 0
Behinds 0
Frees For 1
Frees Against 1
Contested Marks 0
First Possessions 4
Clearances 2
Inside 50s 2
Rebound 50s 0
Contested Poss 0
Uncontested Poss 16
Long Kicks 2
1%ers 2
Errors 2

I like how he sold the dummy right at the end before cruising on past and kicking the goal, was an okay goal but nothing too special.

And that's the bit that's difficult to pick up in the footage because they change the camera angle. Yeah - I agree it's not a winner anyway.

Round two stats vs sydney (L - 78 - 146)

Disp - 10
Kicks - 4
KLg - 1
Mark - 1
Hball - 6
tckles - 1
Goals -1
clrence - 1
In50 - 2
rb50 - 2
1% - 1
Errors - 1

Also kicked a good goal and showed some fancy foot work on a couple of occasions.

Wasn't a great game and is probably suffering from a lack of time in the midfield. His in and under work and evasive skills show he could be an answer for Port's lack of hardness in the middle if given time there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats for round 3 v Adelaide (L - 79-85)

Disp - 18
Kicks - 9
KLg - 4
Mark - 4
Hball - 9
tckles - 4
Goals - 1
clrence - 4
In50 - 4
rb50 - 2
1% - 5
Errors - 3

Easily David's best game for the season so far. Was in Port's top 5 players. Added the hardness required in the team, unfortunately it was not enough for the win. Broke the lines and supplied nice run from the centre. His goal involved some great one - two play between himself and Warren Tredrea.

Pic from the showdown
Rodan busting through the lines and getting a long handball forward

n668067098_538596_4108.jpg

He isn't just a handy recruit now.

I think he has elevated himself into one of our guns.

Like I said already in this thread, he is so damn exciting to watch play footy.

Love the toughness, silky skills and constant determination.

I smile every time he gets the ball with a little bit of space now, because I know at least 6/10 times he is going to do something completely insane (in a good way).

I spent most of the time he had the ball last sunday cheering as he made the would be tacklers look foolish.

Stats for round 4 - v - Brisbane (L 104 - 124)

Disp - 25
Kicks - 14
KLg - 3
Mark - 5
Hball - 11
tckles - 0
Goals - 2
clrence - 4
In50 - 3
rb50 - 2
1% - 3
Errors - 2

Probably the best gae David has played this year. Was BOG in the first half before dipping away. Was benched at the start of the fourth quater, a move which probably cost POrt dearly. His grunt in the midfield was lost while the Lions got 6 goals within 15 minutes to get the lead

Pre game warm up photos
n668067098_547660_9386.jpg

n668067098_547661_9640.jpg

Stats for round 5 -v- West Coast (W 128 - 104)

Disp - 21
Kicks - 14
KLg - 4
Mark - 2
Hball - 7
tckles - 1
Goals - 1
clrence - 9
In50 - 7
rb50 - 1
1% - 2
Errors - 0

You just have to look at Rodans stats for clearances and inside 50's to see where he dominated this match. He has taken himself to another level and the team just looks so much stronger with him in the middle. May well be on AA form at the moment. If the rest of the midfield can step up, we could still do some damage this year.

If the D-Rod can step it up another level and become a 20-30 touch midfielder every week he could be anything. He has great skills and runs the lines as well as busting open packs.

Great to watch when he is around the ball!

Have just seen online that Roadan is in doubt again this week, knee tendinitis. Hope he gets up! We need him!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back