Rookie Selection #40

from afc.com.au

NAME: EDWARD CURNOW

CLUB: GEELONG FALCONS

DOB: 7/11/1989

HEIGHT: 180 CM

WEIGHT: 78.2 KG

Small/Medium Midfielder

Hard-running and skilful midfielder who represented Vic Country at NAB AFL U18 Championships this year. Has an excellent speed and endurance combination and can find the football. From Geelong College.

From Vic Crow - 2007 Pre Season and Draft Camp results

Pre Season: 182cm, 74.8kg, 3.01 20m sprint, 8.85 agility run, 15.0 beep test, 56cm vertical leap
Screening: 180cm, 78.2kg

Curnow was injured for Draft Camp and couldn't compete in any of the tests. For the record, the best beep test at DC was 15.2 so he would've been right up there.

Re: Edward Curnow

18481.jpg

10701.jpg

is Ed another indigenous player - or is my pc monitor on the dark side?

Being Falcons players I assume they'd be friends. They'd at least know each other well.

He was injured for Draft Camp but pre season he ran a 3.01 20m sprint, so he's quick but he also ran a 15.0 beep test. Very good pace and elite endurance. :)

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=54203

“I wouldn’t expect any of the kids to play in 08,” Rendell said.“Some of them are starting from a fair way back in terms of fitness and Jared will be an even later starter because of his shoulder. But we’ll be wanting them to show some promising signs and then make it really difficult for us at the end of the year when it comes time to promote them.”
Curnow, who played alongside prized first-round draft pick Patrick Dangerfield at the Geelong Falcons, will arrive in Adelaide on Wednesday.
From there he will be ushered down to Strathalbyn to join Adelaide’s first and second-year players in an induction camp.
“We feel very fortunate to be able to pick up a player of Ed’s ilk in the rookie draft. He’ll complement Dangerfield in the midfield,” Rendell said.
“Ed had a fantastic year, he’s a running machine and is very driven. He’s been doing athletics since the footy season finished and he’s got fantastic 400m and 800m running ability. He’ll give Nathan van Berlo a good run in the pre-season stuff when he gets here.”

He sounds like a great prospect, but I'm curious why he slipped so low the third round of the rookie draft doesn't neccessarily inspire a heap of confidence. Vic Crow can you shed any light on this player and why do you think he slid so low?

He sounds like a great prospect, but I'm curious why he slipped so low the third round of the rookie draft doesn't neccessarily inspire a heap of confidence. Vic Crow can you shed any light on this player and why do you think he slid so low?
Probably Ben Rutten reasons.

Rated - but had some sort of incident around draft time that hindered his prospects (I think some kind of sickness without properly reading the thread).

Also, I'd say nothing really stands out about his game, he's what I'd call a Brad Ebert player, hence why we overlooked Ebert and found a few more of his type later on. (Explained by Rendell saying he compliments Dangerfield very well. Looks like they were a bit of a duo for the Falcons.)

Gotta mate from Geelong who knows Curnow and he says in a text message to me today 'Curnow is gonna be good man. Just put him in the gym, throw away the key and he will be a player'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I did read on one of the boards that he was sick and missed the draft camp, but if they're comparing his fitness levels to vB then he could be a very good player for us in the future, hopefully he adjusts well to the Adelaide lifestyle, it'll be difficult being interstate on the rookie list but if he's strong enough he'll get through and hopefully flourish next year with Paddy on board full time.

While its a fair question, where one gets picked up is irrelevant. Take 2001 Rookie Draft as an example. We got Rutten, Bock and Mattner from that lot. The one that didn't make it was Paul Thomas and he was our first pick. The one that was picked up in the 4th round (Ben Rutten) has been the best pick up of the lot.

While its a fair question, where one gets picked up is irrelevant. Take 2001 Rookie Draft as an example. We got Rutten, Bock and Mattner from that lot. The one that didn't make it was Paul Thomas and he was our first pick. The one that was picked up in the 4th round (Ben Rutten) has been the best pick up of the lot.

Dont even get me started on that

My buddy deserved a better run than the what he got:mad:

OK, I've found out Curnow is not actually aboriginal, just looks like one.

Be funny if you lined him and Griffin up against someone who didn't know and asked who the aboriginal was.

Gotta mate from Geelong who knows Curnow and he says in a text message to me today 'Curnow is gonna be good man. Just put him in the gym, throw away the key and he will be a player'.[/quote]

Gee, he's not the skinniest kid I've seen. Got pretty big legs for an 18 year old and he probably only needs to put on another 4 kgs. Think he may get a chance next season if we get a long term injury.

Heard the birdman on 5aa this afternoon saying Curnow's apparently one to beat in the time trials up there with Van Berlo & Burton as far as athleticism goes

Burton said he's done a 3km time trial in 9:37 so he'll definitely be pushing him an VB.

Am very happy with this pick.

Re: #45 - Edward Curnow

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23124693-21543,00.html

WHEN an AFL club conducts its pre-season testing, it's not uncommon to find the rookies bringing up the tail of the field.
But the situation couldn't be more different at West Lakes.
Crows rookies Ed Curnow and Brodie Martin have been upstaging their more experienced team-mates and it hasn't gone unnoticed.
"Ed Curnow has shown a few of the guys up, he's outstanding with his endurance running," Crows forward Jason Porplyzia noted.
Curnow, selected from the Geelong Falcons, is a natural athlete and streaked to the line first in the Crows' three-kilometre time-trial after Christmas.
Even supremely fit Nathan van Berlo, who ran his personal best time behind Curnow earlier this month, has his hands full keeping pace with the former distance runner.
"He's run 800s (metre races) and 1500s competitively and trained with some really top runners back in Melbourne so he's not foreign to hard-running training," Adelaide physical performance manager Stephen Schwerdt said.
Curnow finished third behind by Brett Burton and van Berlo at the University Loop yesterday but the Glenelg-listed teenager still holds the club's time-trial record.
"When we have had running sessions he's (Curnow) excelled as you would expect," Schwerdt said.
"It's not that long ago he was specifically training for athletics, that was something our other guys haven't been doing so you would expect him to be going well, it hasn't been a surprise."
Martin, who was the Crows' last choice in the rookie draft from Sturt, displayed his pace off the mark by being the fastest of all players tested post-Christmas in the 20m sprint.
"It's always a challenge for the young guys, a lot of them do come from a long way back," Schwerdt said. "So it's sometimes a challenge for them to assimilate into an AFL training program but they've (Curnow and Martin) done it remarkably well."

OK, I've found out Curnow is not actually aboriginal, just looks like one.

Be funny if you lined him and Griffin up against someone who didn't know and asked who the aboriginal was.

i noticed that there was an article the other day about McLeod and it mentioned that AFC now had 7 (or 8?) indigenous players and the list included Curnow.

i noticed that there was an article the other day about McLeod and it mentioned that AFC now had 7 (or 8?) indigenous players and the list included Curnow.

Yeah its been mentioned a couple of times that he is, which is good- its about time we had a few more indigenous boys- hopefully we pick up a couple more this year by the name of Charlie McAdam and David Kantilla

Yeah its been mentioned a couple of times that he is, which is good- its about time we had a few more indigenous boys- hopefully we pick up a couple more this year by the name of Charlie McAdam and David Kantilla

Kantilla - that's a famous name from the NT. I'm guessing he's a relation to the David Kantilla who played for St Marys (NTFL) and South Adelaide in the 1960s. Probably a grandson?

Here's a description of the original David Kantilla:
http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/NTToC_forwards.htm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back