Malceski already doing light exercise after new surgery

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 29, 2006
Nthn Beaches
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
BBGFC and LRGC
Seems that eski is the proud new owner of polyester ligaments after undergoing a new form of surgery that has had great success in Europe.

Daily Telegraph 26th Feb
Mike Sheahan
SYDNEY'S Nick Malceski could be back playing football within three months of having major knee surgery.
Malceski had his ruptured anterior cruciate ligament repaired in Sydney on Friday in a procedure that has revolutionised knee repairs in Europe.
He was walking unaided yesterday, just three days after surgery, even doing light exercise.
The Swans hope he will return as soon as Round 8 (May 18).
Malceski, 22, happily agreed to the procedure when informed it offered the opportunity to play this year.
Injured in Launceston on February 17, he underwent what is known as a ligament augmentation and reconstruction system (LARS), where a ligament made of industrial-strength polyester fibres is used to replace the torn natural ligament.
Sydney's club doctor Nathan Gibbs learned of the LARS advance 15 months ago during one of the club's now famous intelligence-gathering missions to Europe.
Malceski was operated on by a Sydney orthopaedic surgeon who has been using the technique for 12 months, under the guidance of the visiting French surgeon who pioneered the surgery.
"With the LARS procedure, it's an inert ligament. You screw it in and, technically, it's as strong as it will be from day one," Gibbs said.
"In simple terms, the basic way we've done cruciate re-constructions is you put some new tissue or material in there to reconstruct or recreate the cruciate ligament.
"Most of the time you take body parts, usually a tendon from the kneecap or from the hamstring.
"Not having to take tendons means you don't have the trauma of getting over that side of things, so the rehabilitation is quicker for that reason alone.
"The ideal time to try this procedure is when you've got an important player who is injured early in the season so there's plenty of time to get back."

Now THAT seems like great news for all players...not sure if other AFL players or top level sportsmen in the country have had the same type of surgery yet but it could be great news for the future if results are good....if he plays even very late this season it'd be a great success.

Best news I've gotten in a few weeks! It's good to see the Sydney Swans aren't just resting on their laurels. Don't rush it, though, Eski. We need you 100% ready, not breaking down again.

I hope he doesn't get rushed back in round 8! I'd hate to see the guy go down again and do more damage :(

Spot on, budge! This is great news, but it has to be managed to perfection, with no risks taken. Round 8 seems far too early, and I'd suggest round 15 might be the best we can hope for.

Good luck to Malceski and I hope it goes well for him.

Will be interesting to see how successful this new procedure is - I'm sure every other club will follow this with interest.

Hats off to the Sydney medicos as well.

Great news but round 12 will be plenty soon enough!

Stands and claps for Dr Nathan Gibbs:thumbsu:

Sydney's club doctor Nathan Gibbs learned of the LARS advance 15 months ago during one of the club's now famous intelligence-gathering missions to Europe.

How often do these things^ turn out just to be unproductive junketts?

Seems like soon ......they will probably have the polyester "Cheatah" speed tendon, or "Springbok" leap tendon, replacements!????

Spot on, budge! This is great news, but it has to be managed to perfection, with no risks taken. Round 8 seems far too early, and I'd suggest round 15 might be the best we can hope for.

Yeah, when they write "COULD" be back by Round 8, that's the miracle 1 in 1000 chance.

It's like when advertisers say that prices begin "FROM" $10. You're gonna pay at least $50.

Good news for the Swans and for footy in general though.

Last year Rooke from Geelong went to Germany and had treatment on a dodgy hammy. The club paid over 20k for the privlidge of having cows blood, amongst other things, injected into Maxy. From what was a season ending injury he got back in time to play a couple of games, one being the Grand Final.

This technique has been used with great affect on soccer players who I am guessing are the same Europeans that have successfully had Malceski's surgery.

I think if it poses no extra risk, which if it did they probably wouldnt do it, then clubs should go for it. By the description of the surgery you can see where the benefits lie here and it is a natural progression on using your own tissue.

Hope he gets back.

roulette_wheel.jpg

If it pays off though, a big win for Sydney (and the competition as a whole) is on the cards!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This could be fantastic and groundbreaking news, not just for Malceski and Sydney, but for all AFL clubs if this procedure cuts down rehab time. I still think 3 months is highly optimistic and wouldn't be surprised to see that time doubled before he is playing again.

This sort of stuff is better than pr0n for all us physios and other medical and rehab practicioners. I'll be certainly watching this with a lot of interest. :thumbsu:

Might be worth reading more about this LARS procedure...no idea if it can be also applied to the complete "car crash" job like Hentschell copped.

If Malceski is on the paddock AT ALL this season then its gotta be one of the greatest advances we've seen in sports medicine for donkeys yrs.

Sounds like they dont need to wait for the body to regenerate and accept tissue...they just staple a bit of polyester in there.

If Malceski is on the paddock AT ALL this season then its gotta be one of the greatest advances we've seen in sports medicine for donkeys yrs.
That's if it is effective for a long period of time as well.

Removing the medial meniscus in NFL players was seen as a great advance as few players suffered knee injuries in that short time after. It was blamed as the main cause of injury. It wasn't until a few years and many wrecked knees later that people started to figure out maybe the meniscus was important.

Not quite the same thing, but still.

That's if it is effective for a long period of time as well.

Removing the medial meniscus in NFL players was seen as a great advance as few players suffered knee injuries in that short time after. It was blamed as the main cause of injury. It wasn't until a few years and many wrecked knees later that people started to figure out maybe the meniscus was important.

Not quite the same thing, but still.

I'll take your word for it...my knowledge of knee surgery is limited to what i learnt by watching Darryn Creswell belt his kneecap back into place.

Agree there's no guarantee's yet and 3 mths sounds wildly optimistic...but who knows.

it also might raise the question of whether guys that have had reco's could get them redone to improve or prolong their careers.

Heard Doug Hawkins on SEN this morning. He said he had the same operation and was very lucky it was successful. He played another 9 years but 3 other Footscray players had the operation and ‘it snapped”. Not sure if he meant the gauze or the ligament. Be interesting to know who the other 3 were. Any Dog fans recall failed comebacks around the time Hawkins did his knee?

Anyway, that was 80’s so you’d think the operation would be somewhat advanced from there. Of course Hawkins is no doctor so he may not be 100% correct either. There will certainly be 16 clubs watching very closely what happens to Malceski over the next 2 years. Hope it all goes well for him.

Seems that eski is the proud new owner of polyester ligaments after undergoing a new form of surgery that has had great success in Europe.
This procedure using a polyester ligament scaffold has been used since 1992 with differing results, depending on the intensity of the sport, so it isn't revolutionary. It is quite likely that Malceski will return to his previous level of daily activity within three months, but I don't expect him to reach his pre-injury level of sporting activity until six months though. Maybe he will be at his best by the finals if the Swans make it.

yea, they spoke about this on SEN yesterday.

From what I can gather googling it, the tendon is artificially made, so where the dramatic decrease in time comes in is that you dont have to wait for the ligament to heal naturally, ie. once the basic swelling goes etc, the ligament will be as strong as ever - if he is ready to go in round 8, he is ready to go in round 8. Waiting another 4, 5 or whatever weeks does nothing, there is nothing time is going to strengthen in the new ligament, unlike the old way of pinching a ligament from somewhere else on the body, which needs time.

According to a website I googled, full range of motion comes back for most people after 3 weeks after this LARS technique.

Now while this is the first case for an AFL player, it isnt the first in the world, so when they say he will be back by Round 8, we can only assume there is a pretty strong basis for this.

The only thing I cant work out is why some global superstar like Ronaldo, who did his knee a couple weeks back, didnt opt for something like this? Surely his people would be up with the cutting edge of medicine??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back