Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2008
Goulburn Valley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Texas Longhorns
Wanga, have you guys lost a few to injury at the moment or have you just lost momentum? Would have thought you would account for tonny reasonably easy as tonny lack a bit of depth. Their top line players are quite good but I think the like of barooga nathalia will cover them when/if they make finals (sorry hank).

On the echuca united front, 2 wins in a row :D, hope we can make it 3 against deni, not to sure what we are up against but should be close enough? Whats everyones thoughts...
i would say that if one troy kornmann fires on all cylinders, then united will be a shoe in. heard the kid is in blistering form at the moment (has been the difference in the last two games). also noticed a number of ones players dropping back to the two's, perhaps this weekends game could provide a youthful leigh pentreath with his first seniors birth of 2008? who knows, time will tell.

Re: Murray Football League

See Barooga have been active early this season. Normally they sign a handful of new players at the end of June, but this year have got in early and signed them up at the start of June. With all cash being thrown around by the Hawks and Moama this year, and a number of clubs strugglng badly at the bottom of the ladder, it will no doubt spark some conversation about the introduction of a salary cap/points system into the MFL.
I suppose it is a good opportunity for surroundng clubs in the MFL and PFL to be active and sign up the local players who have to make way for all these new recruits.

I hear the hawks have given Assistant Coach Dallas Gallagher the arse. Something to do with a bit of Shane Warne like activity. Big Hawk?

I hear the hawks have given Assistant Coach Dallas Gallagher the arse. Something to do with a bit of Shane Warne like activity. Big Hawk?
Not sure what you're on about Doobie but Dallas has left the nest. Don't know the reasons behind it and don't want to know the reasons behind it. Good luck to him and hope he goes well where ever he ends up!:thumbsu:

See Barooga have been active early this season. Normally they sign a handful of new players at the end of June, but this year have got in early and signed them up at the start of June. With all cash being thrown around by the Hawks and Moama this year, and a number of clubs strugglng badly at the bottom of the ladder, it will no doubt spark some conversation about the introduction of a salary cap/points system into the MFL.
I suppose it is a good opportunity for surroundng clubs in the MFL and PFL to be active and sign up the local players who have to make way for all these new recruits.
Love to know who the Hawks are recruiting Blue. My understanding is that Chris and Kieran O'Dwyer are coming back for a one off with their brother in the Scoobies, if transfers go through and numbers permit. Dylan Brooks has also indicated that he wants to come back. I'd hardly call them out and out superstars and all the rest of us are staying on board!! Would you like to back up your allegations by naming who the supposed recruits are??????????????????????????????????:confused:

Not sure what you're on about Doobie but Dallas has left the nest. Don't know the reasons behind it and don't want to know the reasons behind it. Good luck to him and hope he goes well where ever he ends up!:thumbsu:

Ever thought about going into politics, or perhaps a role as a player manager/agent? Good luck keeping a lid on it hawk!!!:D

Hey Bystanding, how is big Parker travelling this year? 16 goals from 6 games is down on the big fella's usual output. Is old age (and bourbon) finally catching up with him?

Parkers going great guns, still goes to his boxing gym 2 times a week plus the other training he does in melb. Not old age or the bourban, i think the main reason he hasn't kicked to many is because he already has 4 season of 100+ goals so opposition teams are putting more and more players on him to try and nulify him. I'm not saying that just because he's only kicked 16 he's struggling cause hes not but i'd love to have the stats on how many he has set up for others because there has been quite a few. thats the great thing about Parker if he doesn't mark the ball 9/10 times he brings it to the front for our runners and they usually score.

i think you'll find that we haven't had to rely on Parker to kick his bags of goals because we have got a few other blokes that are now nearly just as damaging as Parker so the goals are evenly spread amoungst them.

United and Moama people do you think your clubs would consider re-forming of the old Echuca League clubs, as have heard it re-mentioned of late ??

do you mean re-formation of clubs such as echuca south and echuca east, or re-forming the old northern & echuca football league?
personally i believe that re-forming the clubs would be taking a huge backflip and would subsequently undo all that has been done to establish clubs in the area over the past 10-15 years.

as well as this, you would be making one club into two - where would the players come from? most likely you would get players who can barely kick a footy playing just to fill numbers.

as for the long-term prosperity of the clubs, the popularity of soccer, as we all know is growing in a big way across the country, not to mention the echuca/moama region. this is where most young kids are now playing sport from an early age, and a sport which parents would rather their children play to keep them from being hurt in more 'dangerous' contact sports such as footy.

as for the re-formation of the old echuca league, there have been two meetings held in the past four years between clubs within the region regarding the possibility of a formation of a new league in the echuca/moama area.

in october of 2005, moama, lockington-bamawm united, mathoura, barham-koondrook, cohuna and leitchville gunbower, picola united and waaia football clubs met to discuss the possible re-formation of the northern and echuca football league.
although they attended, waaia and picola united inidcated they would not be interested in joining the league, yet the other teams continued to show support.
in regards to this meeting, echuca united and tongala (still in the gvfl at this stage) did not show support for the change.

in february 2006, there was another meeting held with representation from clubs including: moama, lockington-bamawm, tongala, koondrook-barham, cohuna, mathoura and leitchville-gunbower. there was no representation from echuca united as it was their belief that they could sustain a long-term committment to the murray football league.
issues raised at this meeting included shorter travel distances, the large number of junior footballers in the area and the commercial and business opportunities that a new league would pose.

hopefully this will generate a bit of healthy conversation on this forum. what are people's thoughts and opinions?

do you mean re-formation of clubs such as echuca south and echuca east, or re-forming the old northern & echuca football league?
personally i believe that re-forming the clubs would be taking a huge backflip and would subsequently undo all that has been done to establish clubs in the area over the past 10-15 years.

as well as this, you would be making one club into two - where would the players come from? most likely you would get players who can barely kick a footy playing just to fill numbers.

as for the long-term prosperity of the clubs, the popularity of soccer, as we all know is growing in a big way across the country, not to mention the echuca/moama region. this is where most young kids are now playing sport from an early age, and a sport which parents would rather their children play to keep them from being hurt in more 'dangerous' contact sports such as footy.

as for the re-formation of the old echuca league, there have been two meetings held in the past four years between clubs within the region regarding the possibility of a formation of a new league in the echuca/moama area.

in october of 2005, moama, lockington-bamawm united, mathoura, barham-koondrook, cohuna and leitchville gunbower, picola united and waaia football clubs met to discuss the possible re-formation of the northern and echuca football league.
although they attended, waaia and picola united inidcated they would not be interested in joining the league, yet the other teams continued to show support.
in regards to this meeting, echuca united and tongala (still in the gvfl at this stage) did not show support for the change.

in february 2006, there was another meeting held with representation from clubs including: moama, lockington-bamawm, tongala, koondrook-barham, cohuna, mathoura and leitchville-gunbower. there was no representation from echuca united as it was their belief that they could sustain a long-term committment to the murray football league.
issues raised at this meeting included shorter travel distances, the large number of junior footballers in the area and the commercial and business opportunities that a new league would pose.

hopefully this will generate a bit of healthy conversation on this forum. what are people's thoughts and opinions?

Mathoura will struggle to survive as it is so you could forget about them!
The line-up would need Moama,United,tongala,Cohuna,Deni or Deni Rovers,Leitchville-Gunbower,Kondrook-Barham and Lockington to have any chance=once again it will surface every so often but probably never happen

Re: Murray Football League - Part 2

NEWSFLASH:
Troy Gread retires from the mowers due to ongoing crutch problems!

:)
Love to know who the Hawks are recruiting Blue. My understanding is that Chris and Kieran O'Dwyer are coming back for a one off with their brother in the Scoobies, if transfers go through and numbers permit. Dylan Brooks has also indicated that he wants to come back. I'd hardly call them out and out superstars and all the rest of us are staying on board!! Would you like to back up your allegations by naming who the supposed recruits are??????????????????????????????????:confused:

Love how you talk about yourself in the third person Big Hawk!!!

whats the reasoning behind the boys coming home, special occassion or just a case of haven't played together before as a group??

ps. can you send the spare scooby doos who miss out across the river i could use them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whats the reasoning behind the boys coming home, special occassion or just a case of haven't played together before as a group??

ps. can you send the spare scooby doos who miss out across the river i could use them.
Ouch!! So does big_hawk = Jonathan?

Good on you Cheezel! Yes the reason for the boys coming together is that we have never played Senior footy together at the one time. Hope it all comes to fruition as it would be nice to say it was done in the career. As for any spares, would love to mate but I'm a bit upset that I've been able to last this long and now there's no more hiding!!! Don't worry, I'll still give my two bobs worth!;)

Thought about taking up detective work tucky!!!:D
As a matter of fact, ye..... No never. But perhaps I may now!!!
I think jameshirdy really blew your cover there. No harm caused I wouldn't think.
So if he's asking if you can send a few magoo's blokes over his way, that must make him the leader of the Mighty Tigers..? or there abouts?

Hey bx bandit, how u guys shapin up for this weekend?

We probably be a bit undermanned again and with both teams needing a win, should be a good game :thumbsu:.

yeah should be a good game, both young sides without alot of big names!
dont think we have to many injury worries at this stage but will find out more tonight.
We havent played to our potential yet so when that happens hopefully we can roll one of the better sides.
Undermanned? Are you trying to lull us in to a false sense of security:cool:

well written piece tucky and i would agree that there wont be a reforming of east and south but its not for a lack of juniors, you have neglected that there is currently 5 under 14, 2 under 16, 2 under 17 and 1 under 18 teams under the umbrella of the 3 echuca clubs and i think moama nearly got an under16 team up and running this year, not to mention that locky bamawm has arond 60 kids for its u 17 and 14's. There is plenty of juniors for another club!
The problem in echuca is that the 3 clubs all need to spend $100,000+ on player payments to make the finals in the 2 leagues they compete (more like 200 to win a flag i would guess) and i dont think that the town can support that kind of money. Would moama and united going to an echuca based league alleviate this problem?
Also there are alot of guys around the age of 25-35 who dont play because they dont want to commit to footy for 2-3 trainings a week, and you need to to be competitive in these leagues.
Maybe if there was another club in a lower league it would be viable to have another club?
I'll finish this tommorrow! better get milking so im not late for training

yeah should be a good game, both young sides without alot of big names!
dont think we have to many injury worries at this stage but will find out more tonight.
We havent played to our potential yet so when that happens hopefully we can roll one of the better sides.
Undermanned? Are you trying to lull us in to a false sense of security:cool:

ha ha, na mate, unfortunatley we not at that stage yet, we're like u guys, just trying to string a few wins together, we just cant seem to get our best 21 on the park at the same time, however we have got 21 players coming down for hopefully a good game of footy, gunna be tough for us as you guys go alright down there, but we'll have a go anyway.

look forward to it, goodluck :thumbsu:

Fire up ladies, let’s get some discussion going on this weekend’s round of matches – should be a few tight tussles over the weekend.

Congupna vs Finley – The Road by a couple of kicks (based purely on home ground advantage) but wit would not surprise to see the Catters break their duck.
Echuca United vs Deni rams – The Eagles to string 4 quarters and 3 wins together in a tough 3 goal win.
Barooga vs Nathalia – The hawks by a handful of points in a cracker. Toss of the coin job really….
Tonny vs Mul – Hanky’s boys to continue their rise up the ladder and gain some much needed percentage with a 10 goal win. Interested to see Lamberti recently cleared back down to Melbourne. A great long-distance servant of the Lions. Did he pull on a guernsey in anger this year at all?
Toc vs Rumba – Toc need a win to stay in touch with the top 6 and Rumba would be looking to bounce back after last week’s loss. My mail has it that key playmaker Josh Wanganeen will be missing through injury, but even without Wanga’s run, Rumba should win this by at least 6 goals if they truly are top 4 material.
Numurkah vs Moama – Much as it pains me to say it, the Mowers by the length of the straight. Too much firepower up forward and a cracking midfield, Pies by around 10 goals.
Cobram vs the Bye – Jameshirdy to put his feet up for a well earned rest, as the Tiges give the bye a shellacking.

Over to you, my learned colleagues, for your thoughts…

well written piece tucky and i would agree that there wont be a reforming of east and south but its not for a lack of juniors, you have neglected that there is currently 5 under 14, 2 under 16, 2 under 17 and 1 under 18 teams under the umbrella of the 3 echuca clubs and i think moama nearly got an under16 team up and running this year, not to mention that locky bamawm has arond 60 kids for its u 17 and 14's. There is plenty of juniors for another club!
The problem in echuca is that the 3 clubs all need to spend $100,000+ on player payments to make the finals in the 2 leagues they compete (more like 200 to win a flag i would guess) and i dont think that the town can support that kind of money. Would moama and united going to an echuca based league alleviate this problem?
Also there are alot of guys around the age of 25-35 who dont play because they dont want to commit to footy for 2-3 trainings a week, and you need to to be competitive in these leagues.
Maybe if there was another club in a lower league it would be viable to have another club?
I'll finish this tommorrow! better get milking so im not late for training
Where was I...As for the echuca league issue the teams that would probably fit in the category would be Koon Barham, Cohuna, Leitch gun, Ech U, Moama, LBU, Tonny?, Elmore?, Kerang?, Deni? 8 teams is probably not enough to warrant a league change when most clubs are pretty content in their current leagues. The old NEFL clubs would benefit the most from a change giving them a rivalry or past history with almost every club. I dont think a tonny or elmore would stand to gain to much...
I think we missed the boat on this one by about 10 years and might not see it revisited for another 10!

Where was I...As for the echuca league issue the teams that would probably fit in the category would be Koon Barham, Cohuna, Leitch gun, Ech U, Moama, LBU, Tonny?, Elmore?, Kerang?, Deni? 8 teams is probably not enough to warrant a league change when most clubs are pretty content in their current leagues. The old NEFL clubs would benefit the most from a change giving them a rivalry or past history with almost every club. I dont think a tonny or elmore would stand to gain to much...
I think we missed the boat on this one by about 10 years and might not see it revisited for another 10!

Cheers to that Banditos , also what is a factor is finding work for all these players , Lockington school population has almost halved as a result of farms pulling the pin which although they have a lot of juniors it will get progressively less in years to come . and no farms equals no workers and subsiquently no nath cameron . my point is it's work and by work I mean jobs that will keep our clubs in players no matter what league they are in . sure the travelling is hurting people a bit with most games the equivilent of a trip to Kerang,all be it in the other direction .but I my self wouldn't swap the pub crawl home . The old N&EFL was a good league , and most who played in it miss it but it is gone , I liken it to an old holiday spot when you were a kid , revisiting it know would be pointless and sad . you should never do anything this bold for the sake of nostalgia .

plug the pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back