AFL depth charts

Remove this Banner Ad

m0nty

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2005
Richmond
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've had a lash at doing American-style depth charts for the AFL. The depth chart is a list of players for each real team sorted by position, and then sorted again by likelihood of playing in the next game. The reason behind doing it for the AFL is that it's handy to be able to look at who each draftee, rookie and fringe player has to beat out to get a spot in their team's 22.

I don't pretend to know the status of each and every player, so I'd like some help, particularly from fans of each team.

Adelaide depth chart
Brisbane depth chart
Carlton depth chart
Collingwood depth chart
Essendon depth chart
Fremantle depth chart
Geelong depth chart
Hawthorn depth chart
Kangaroos depth chart
Melbourne depth chart
Port Adelaide depth chart
Richmond depth chart
Sydney depth chart
St Kilda depth chart
Western Bulldogs depth chart
West Coast depth chart

I would appreciate any assistance!

Yeah mate, top work that :thumbsu:

Id have Jack Anthony for Collingwood also in the key forwards list, and maybe Ben Reid into the backs somewhere... not sure about the order you have the Tall backs, but good lists none the less

It's a good effort but in reality Aussie Rules players don't all necessarily play in the one position like most Gridiron players do. As an example: Davis played a lot of midfield this year, especially near the end of the season. Clarke spent most of the year at half-back, not as a tagger. O'Bree is an inside mid, not a tagger etc. Still a decent effort.

The tagger category is separate to the rest, it's just an indication of who the best taggers in the team are. Of course they won't tag every game, but if there are tags to be applied, they'd be applied to opposition players in that order.

I'd change Andrew walker from key defender to midfielder either inside or outside. Move wiggo from small defender to forward either small or key. O'haiplin to key defenders and kreuzer make a ruckman as well. Grigg as small defender as well as tagger. Hartlett to key forward

For Essendon:

Slattery is probably our No. 1 small defender. McVeigh would probably slot in there too considering he played most of his years under sheedy there.

Welsh is our No. 1 Tagger.

McPhee is more a Key forward and Chartres is delisted

Ryder is a backup ruck probably ahead of Bellchambers at the moment (depends on how our other defenders are going if we can cover Ryder down back).

Jarrod Atkinson is not a key back but a small defender more likely. Dean Dick is delisted

McVeigh is probably more an inside mid then one like Houli. Reimers also runs through the midfield (outside and inside but more outside)

Jay Nash also plays in defense (wouldn't actually call him a defender though..)

For Fremantle, Brent Connelly as the fourth ruckman as he is still a rookie, and i would put Adam Campbell above Ryan Murphy in the forwards, when they both played at the end of the year Campbell definitely outplayed Murphy.

I would also have Ibbotson as the third small defender, definately ahead of Duffield and Thornton IMO.

I think that Hinkley and Foster are pretty close, hard to tell because Foster was injured this year and it was Hinkleys first year so have never seen them play together. The same thing with Haselby and Palmer IMO.

Only other change i would make would be to include Steven Dodd in the taggers list, does tag occasionaly.

I'd change Andrew walker from key defender to midfielder either inside or outside. Move wiggo from small defender to forward either small or key. O'haiplin to key defenders and kreuzer make a ruckman as well. Grigg as small defender as well as tagger. Hartlett to key forward
Yeah, I had real trouble with the Carlton small defenders and forwards. Apart from Betts there's really not much in the small forwards.

I think Kreuzer will be tried at CHF with the recruitment of Warnock. I made all your other changes, Gozz.

Good effort for the dogs,
Callan Ward is an outside mid not small def
Tim Callan is a small def not outside mid
I'd put Mitch Hahn as a forward not a mid, either key or small
Id consider putting Murphy as a key forward
Guy OKeefe has probably jumped over Mal Lynch
Shaun Higgins as either a small forward or outside mid

Yeah, I had real trouble with the Carlton small defenders and forwards. Apart from Betts there's really not much in the small forwards.

I think Kreuzer will be tried at CHF with the recruitment of Warnock. I made all your other changes, Gozz.

You can put Ellard as a small forward, too.

Thanks B-Bomber and Braddles94, changes made.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key Defenders

Jared Rivers
Colin Garland
Matthew Warnock
Stef Martin
James Frawley
Nathan Carroll
Tom McNamara
Trent Zomer (R)

Small Defenders

Matthew Whelan
Daniel Bell
Simon Buckley (half back/wing)
Chris Johnson (half back/wing)
Kyle Cheney

Outside Midfielders

Brad Green
Cameron Bruce
Cale Morton
Jack Grimes
Ricky Petterd

Inside Midfielders

Brock McLean
James McDonald
Brent Moloney
Nathan Jones
Shane Valenti (R)

Key Forwards

Russell Robertson
Brad Miller
Matthew Bate
Michael Newton

Small Forwards

Colin Sylvia
Aaron Davey
Austin Wonaeamirri (R)
Addam Maric

Rucks

Paul Johnson
Mark Jamar
John Meesen
Jake Spencer (R)

Taggers

Lynden Dunn
Clint Bartram

Hard to Classify

Paul Wheatley (can play as a tall/medium rebounding defender, but also on the wing)

stokes is ahead of gamble
and mackie is probaly key defender and harley a small defender it think
Yeah, I thought of both of those, but after that GF performance I reckon Stokes has a bit to prove, and Mackie is probably better suited to not playing as a key defender.

Yeah good job Monty.

For Brisbane I would probably change:

Selwood to small defender/tagger.
Proud to inside mid.
Harding to outside mid.
Garner and Tyler to key defenders.

Also

Kiel has been delisted
Clouston to Key Forward...maybe some confirmation here, but pretty sure that's where he has been playing in the 1's. Pretty confident about that

kreuzer to ruck as well
cloke to forward as well (was really good last few games)
and i think corrazzo is more of an outsime midfielder
otherwise really v.good

Oops, I did forget Melbourne! :eek:

Fixed now. :)
You forgot Jack Grimes (Inside midfeilder)

Simon Buckley and Paul Wheatley aren't small defenders, they're more HBF's but they definately aren't small.

Cameron Bruce to Outisde mid. Brent Moloney inside mid.

Brad Green also a HBFer.

And you listed James McDonald twice, he's not a tagger just an inside mid. Otherwise good.

You forgot Jack Grimes (Inside midfeilder)

Simon Buckley and Paul Wheatley aren't small defenders, they're more HBF's but they definately aren't small.

Cameron Bruce to Outisde mid. Brent Moloney inside mid.

Brad Green also a HBFer.

And you listed James McDonald twice, he's not a tagger just an inside mid. Otherwise good.
The small def/fwd category is for defenders and forwards who don't play key position. They might still be tall, but if they play HBF then they're small defenders for the purposes of this list.

Dee fans: what about Petterd's role next year? Will he play off halfback?

Also, taggers are all mentioned twice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back