Draft Targets

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a list (in order) who we should be looking at drafting with our selections.

First Selection:
Hamish Hartlett - Midfielder - 182cm, 74kg - West Adelaide, SA
Steele Sidebottom - Midfielder - 182cm, 79kg - Murray Bushrangers, Vic
Tom Swift - Midfielder - 190cm, 84kg - Claremont, WA
Sam Blease - Midfielder - 183cm, 72kg - Eastern Ranges, Vic
Jackson Trengove - KP Back - 196cm, 77kg - Calder Cannons, Vic

Second Selection:
Mitch Robinson- Midfielder - Tassie Mariners ,Tasmania
David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg - Northern Knights, Vic
Luke Shuey - Midfielder - 185cm, 84kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Matt DeBoer - Midfield - 187cm, 85kg - Claremont, WA
Jordan Lisle - Tall Utility - 196cm, 87kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

Third Selection:
Jarrad Blight - Tall Utility - 192cm, 78kg - Swan Districts, WA
Mitch Banner - Utility - 178cm, 77kg - Western Jets, Vic
Tom Lynch - Tall Utility - 191cm, 84kg - Sandringham Dragons, Vic
Steve Gaertner - Tall Utility - 198cm, 88kg - Dandenong Stingrays, Vic
Jayden Post - KP Defender - 195cm, 86kg - Western Jets, Vic

This is a list (in order) who we should be looking at drafting with our selections.

First Selection:
Hamish Hartlett - Midfielder - 182cm, 74kg - West Adelaide, SA
Steele Sidebottom - Midfielder - 182cm, 79kg - Murray Bushrangers, Vic
Tom Swift - Midfielder - 190cm, 84kg - Claremont, WA
Sam Blease - Midfielder - 183cm, 72kg - Eastern Ranges, Vic
Jackson Trengove - KP Back - 196cm, 77kg - Calder Cannons, Vic

Second Selection:
Mitch Robinson- Midfielder - Tassie Mariners ,Tasmania
David Zaharakis - Midfielder - 180cm, 73kg - Northern Knights, Vic
Luke Shuey - Midfielder - 185cm, 84kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Matt DeBoer - Midfield - 187cm, 85kg - Claremont, WA
Jordan Lisle - Tall Utility - 196cm, 87kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic
Dan Hannebery - Midfielder - 182cm, 75kg - Oakleigh Chargers, Vic

Third Selection:
Jarrad Blight - Tall Utility - 192cm, 78kg - Swan Districts, WA
Mitch Banner - Utility - 178cm, 77kg - Western Jets, Vic
Tom Lynch - Tall Utility - 191cm, 84kg - Sandringham Dragons, Vic
Steve Gaertner - Tall Utility - 198cm, 88kg - Dandenong Stingrays, Vic
Jayden Post - KP Defender - 195cm, 86kg - Western Jets, Vic

I hope we take him with our second pick, if he's available.

An absolute star in the making. Ticks every box, had he strung some consistent games this season, we would be talking about him in the mid to late first round, his underage season was that good that this season seemed like a step down.

178cm is his only let down, but considering he outmarks guys 5" taller than him, its not really a problem, as it probably helps him clear the ball at stoppages.

Hartlett/Shuey/Banner, would be best case.

Trengove is around 88-90 kg now, he's a big boy.

My first rounders would go in this order (Hartlett won't be there Imo,and prob not Ziebell either): Ziebell, Swift, Sidebottom, Blease, Trengove, Yarran.

Zaharakis or Shuey with our 2nd rounder would be awesome, but I'd also welcome Heyne from what I've seen.

I hope we take him with our second pick, if he's available.

An absolute star in the making. Ticks every box, had he strung some consistent games this season, we would be talking about him in the mid to late first round, his underage season was that good that this season seemed like a step down.

178cm is his only let down, but considering he outmarks guys 5" taller than him, its not really a problem, as it probably helps him clear the ball at stoppages.

Doesnt really hurt the opposition with his disposal, gets a shitload of it though. Wouldnt complain if we did pick him up with our 2nd rounder.

I would be over the moon if we got Hartlett and Robinson or even just 1 of them. Both ready made midfielders.

Very unlikely Hartlett will be around I will actually say there is no chance.

I see a lot of mock drafts having Swift going in the 15-20 range, but I reckon on raw ability he's in the top three or four in this draft. Would absolutely love to get him at nine.

Doesnt really hurt the opposition with his disposal, gets a shitload of it though. Wouldnt complain if we did pick him up with our 2nd rounder.

I completely disagree.

He is dual footed, and can kick it 55m+, tough as nails, super quick, and is a great contested mark for his size.

Plus he is a clearance king, an area we are really laking in at the moment.

The most underated player in the draft IMO, will be an absolute star at AFL level.

I have only seen him play a handful of times but he showed no signs of anything in your post

I completely disagree.

He is dual footed, and can kick it 55m+, tough as nails, super quick, and is a great contested mark for his size.

Plus he is a clearance king, an area we are really laking in at the moment.

The most underated player in the draft IMO, will be an absolute star at AFL level.

He's a clearance king, no disputing that, he'll always give you first use of the footy, but what i mean by he doesnt hurt the opposition is you'll see him just bombing it forward most of the time or snapping it over his shoulder blindly. He hasnt got great skills, he's great in and under the packs but im not so sure i want to see him running out of defence with the footy trying to hit up a target

Im not saying we shouldnt get him, i'd love him with our 2nd rounder, can never have enough clearance type players, but hasnt got very good footskills and i do think there would be better options in the 2nd round. 3rd Round?? Snap him up quickly if he's still there, could really use him with Simpson nearing the end of his career and Rawlings aswell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have only seen him play a handful of times but he showed no signs of anything in your post

Missed initial Vic Metro squad last year underage whilst he was averaging 25 disposals a game, came out and kicked 6 goals in a quarter off of a HFF, so the selectors extended the squad by 1 position to accomodate him.

Won the Western Jets B&F underage, ahead of guys like Callan Ward and Prismall.

Averaged 22 disposals in this years champs

Had 28 touches, 2 goals and 8 inside 50's vs Western Australia.

A sample of his play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUtBmmSqCs

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziUtBmmSqCs[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALILD3PtnHo

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALILD3PtnHo[/YOUTUBE]

On Banner:

It seems that he is not afraid to take on the opposition with his attack going forward and seems a fantastic contested grab, especially considering his size. If he is classed as an in & under, then gosh! this guy can move as well. Reminds me in terms of how he moves, a bit of Ben Ross, but his composure, his marking, toughness and especially the way he scans the field for team-mates reminds me of Sinkers.

Would be a good pick up in the third round.

My god the draft seems to be peppered with good mid-field talent this year. Our tendency to go after KPPs, especially in the 2006 super draft may very well pay off, provided we do actually pick up mid-fielders. Other teams will be very conscious of the KPPs in the draft and if we can pick up Swift or Sidebottom with no.9 (I hope Swift) and then another decent mid with our second pick AND pick up this bloke, we will be reaping the rewards in 2009 and 2010.

The emphasis on mids seems to ignore the fact that we also have high hopes that Adams, Ross, Smith, Urquart and Lower are going to come through. If we take the best available then I suggest that if McKernan is available then we should grab him. There seems to be a fair bit of antipathy towards him on this board. I am not sure whether that is because Corey is on the hate list of some boarders. McKernan's tests at the Draft camp were outstanding and he is a significant key position prospect. I would argue that we need key position players as well as mid-fielders and yes, I must admit it would be romantic to get another Mckernan to the club. On that basis I would not mind Jordan Lisle either. Of course if somebody had bit at Hamish we could have them all!!!

No interest in Hurley? Hansen and Hurley could hold down CHB & FB for the next 10 to 12 years.

Apart from the danger in trying to grab a full back in the top 10, I don't think his highlights reel is that impressive. He beat his opponents, but didn't show any outstanding qualities apart from the strength to hold his ground (and his feet) against weaker opponents.

Plus, didn't he test pretty slow at draft camp?

I know we have a gap there, but I would much rather we go with one of the quality midfielders. I hope Hurley goes before our pick.

No interest in Hurley? Hansen and Hurley could hold down CHB & FB for the next 10 to 12 years.

Can't see Brisbane or Richmond taking him but surely one of Port, Carlton or Essendon will?

I wouldn't totally rule it out as Port do have a history of taking smalls with early picks so if they take Hartlett/Ziebell then Essendon could take Vickery as they need a ruckman. And Carlton are infatuated with mids (Hartlett, Sidebottom or Ziebell) ...

I am not sure whether that is because Corey is on the hate list of some boarders. McKernan's tests at the Draft camp were outstanding and he is a significant key position prospect.

It is because we don't need to use an early pick on a ruckman/forward with a few promising midfielders certain to be available at that pick. We desperately need a quality midfielder more than we need a ruckman. Plus, I'm not sure he would be in the top 10 'best' players in this draft.

Apart from the danger in trying to grab a full back in the top 10, I don't think his highlights reel is that impressive. He beat his opponents, but didn't show any outstanding qualities apart from the strength to hold his ground (and his feet) against weaker opponents.

Plus, didn't he test pretty slow at draft camp?

I know we have a gap there, but I would much rather we go with one of the quality midfielders. I hope Hurley goes before our pick.

I see your point but I would question if pace in the backline is a real weakness for us. What I can garner from watching the side over the past 5 years is that a key defender with the physical presence to negate big opposition forwards has been our primary deficiency.

I have only seen this kid in a couple of tapes and I haven't seen him beaten in a physical contest for the ball. He kicks accurately up to 60 metres off both feet, and his CV suggests he affords the luxury of being able to be swung forward as a potent attacking option should a suitable defensive match up not present itself.

I see your point but I would question if pace in the backline is a real weakness for us. What I can garner from watching the side over the past 5 years is that a key defender with the physical presence to negate big opposition forwards has been our primary deficiency.

I have only seen this kid in a couple of tapes and I haven't seen him beaten in a physical contest for the ball. He kicks accurately up to 60 metres off both feet, and his CV suggests he affords the luxury of being able to be swung forward as a potent attacking option should a suitable defensive match up not present itself.

Most of this is true.

He is an elite kick, especially for a backman, however, his great ability in the contest (at TAC level) is not just his defensive nouse, but his physical superiority to the other kids.

Really is a man in a boys game, and will play a fair bit of footy in his debut year because of it.

A great talent, however id prefer our first pick be a midfielder, if the cards fall right, we should end up with the 3rd best midfielder in the entire draft pool.

Who are the top 5 midfielders in your opinion?

1. Rich/Hartlett
2. Ziebell
3. Swift
4. Blease
5. Sidebottom/Yarran

Anyone of them id be very pleased with, and I cant say that about too many drafts.

So basically, its criminal if the recruiting department waste this years first round pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back