Delisted Ranga Ediriwickrama (2009-2010)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2006
On the Outer
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Aussie Swim Team,
2008_RangaEdiriwickrama_med.jpg

Number: 42
Height: 179cm
Weight: 71 Kg
DOB: 10/08/1990
Debut: yet to debut

Outlook
Ranga originally joined the club as an NSW scholarship holder and he now progresses to the rookie list. He enjoyed an outstanding 2008 season, captaining NSW to the national under 18 division 2 championship, earning All Australian under 18 honours and being a member of Pennant Hills grand final win in the NSW Premier League. Ranga is a versatile midfielder who will continue to develop in coming seasons.

SEASON BY SEASON HIGHLIGHTS

Member of Pennant Hills NSW premier league grand final winning team
Named to All Australian U18 team after captaining NSW at national championships
Led NSW to 2nd division championship

Played with NSW in U18 national championship
Member of Geelong’s NSW scholarship program

Played two games with Sydney Swans reserves in ACTFL

Re: Rookie -No.42: Ranga Ediriwickrama

VFL Practice Match 1/3/09 V Bendigo....Comment by Shake & Bake

Ranga Edirwickarama - Really liked his game he was clean in the centre, was the reciever of alot of the ruckmans taps and hardly fumbled and got in and under which i also liked.

Unfortunately Ranga looks to have badly torn his hammy against Williamstown and may be missing for a month or more. I can only hope that the tear was not as bad as it looked. The kid was in considerable pain at the time.

Unfortunately Ranga looks to have badly torn his hammy against Williamstown and may be missing for a month or more. I can only hope that the tear was not as bad as it looked. The kid was in considerable pain at the time.

I've heard it could be much more longer then a month.

Gee that really sux, was looking forward to seeing the guy put in a big effort i the VFL with the possibility of a senior appearance late in the year.

If it is a bad hammy, that puts any chance of a senior appearance this year out of the question

always has, only has to avoid injury and you have the best player yet from the NSW Scholarship program

Club being cagey, but read between the lines and it looks like he's in trouble....

VFL: Ranga's injury looks long-term - Geelong Advertiser
That sucks. And I half expected this to happen.

It's a shame Ranga got injured when he did. With all these injuries there was a definite chance for him to play senior footy this year.

Ranga's soft spot for Swans mean nothing - The Age.

This Sydney-based product has now found a home in Cat country, writes Richard Hinds.

Ranga Ediriwickrama grew up in Sydney's north-western suburbs barracking for the Swans. He remains friends with a few former junior teammates now wearing the red and white including his former NSW captain Craig Bird and Kieren Jack.

But when Sydney arrive at Skilled Stadium tomorrow to take on the undefeated Geelong, Ediriwickrama will not be much more sympathetic than the local crowd - or the accomplished Cats outfit - there to greet them.

"I do have a little bit of a soft spot for the Swans," he says. "But ever since I got my scholarship [with Geelong], I've been on the Geelong bandwagon."

So far for Ediriwickrama, one of 55 players so far granted scholarships by AFL clubs as part of an aggressive recruitment scheme in NSW, it has been something of a bumpy ride. While he last year made the momentous leap from scholarship holder to the Cats' rookie list, a serious hamstring injury suffered in a practice game has marred his first season.

"It's pretty disappointing," says Ediriwickrama, who had impressed the Cats coaching staff in two reserves practice matches before partially tearing the hamstring tendon from the bone. "I had to have surgery but they're pretty confident I'll be back for the second half of the season."

Despite that setback, since he arrived in Geelong after completing his HSC exams in November, Ediriwickrama has already gained some valuable insight into life with the AFL's benchmark team - still something of a head-spinning experience for the son of Sri Lankan immigrants who was born in Griffith.

"It was a bit daunting," he says of his first appearance on the training track with superstars he knew only from brief visits to Geelong as a scholarship holder. "You feel a bit nervous, but they're a really good bunch of guys here. Even after the first few training sessions you have guys like Gary Ablett coming up to say hello and make you feel welcome."

As is now mandatory at AFL clubs, there was an indoctrination session for new recruits overseen by captain Tom Harley. Ediriwickrama was told of the "trademarks" by which Geelong players measure their performance. "But I can't really tell you much more about that because we keep those things in-house."

What he can say is that training with and, more recently, watching the likes of Ablett, Jimmy Bartel, Cameron Ling, Joel Corey and Joel Selwood has provided something of a midfield master class. "I've learnt things like just how much movement you need to generate to get the footy and how to out-body your opponent and position yourself," he says. "Things you just learn by listening or watching how they go about it."

Because of his background, Ediriwickrama, 18, is occasionally quizzed by his teammates about the prospects of the AFL's proposed expansion franchise in western Sydney. He tells them he is not sure. "Because I'm more from north-west Sydney and they're looking out further west, I don't really know how strong it is there," he says.

Ediriwickrama is, however, understandably complimentary about the AFL's development program. He took up the game as a 12-year-old and eventually it took over from football and cricket as his sporting passion.

"I just loved the number of different skills you needed to be able to play the game," he says. "You need to be able to mark, to kick, to handball, to win contested footy, I just really enjoyed the challenge of harnessing all of those skills."

Ediriwickrama progressed through the elite junior teams to captain NSW at the under-18 carnival last year where he starred in the early games before he suffered another, less serious hamstring injury. But while those performances helped convince Geelong to elevate him to their rookie list, it will be the next stage of his career that is the toughest - somehow finding his way into the best midfield in the AFL.

"I really love the place, it's a great place to live," says Ediriwickrama, who has deferred his commerce studies to concentrate on football this season. "Hopefully I'll get a good run at it when the rehab is finished."

Meanwhile, from his position in enemy territory, Ediriwickrama does not offer much consolation for the Swans as they face the Cats. "I think it might be pretty tough for them," he says. "Just the way we've been playing."

Is it true that he has done his other Hamstring now which is why his recovery time has increased by another 2-3 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back to Penno I see. :)
Crap that his injury problems continued into senior footy.

Hopefully he gets everything back together and can get back into the AFL scene. Who knows, maybe back with you guys :)

Ranga just had no faith in his own hamstrings. I remember in his VFL comeback game he was worried at going full speed and kept touching/looking at his hamstrings.

He got 4 goals and named 2nd best on the weekend for Penno. Player named better was easily the best u18s player when I was there, (I was u17s with Ranga, he was #1 18s with regular stint in Senior, I was #2 18s with a few games up in #1 team)

Hopefully it's the start of his resurection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back