DALE THOMAS

Number: 13
DOB: June 21, 1987
Recruited From: Gippsland Power
Career Matches : 63
Career Goals: 52
Weight: 185 cm
Height: 84 kg​

Dale Thomas is going into his 4th season as a 21 year old after playing 63 games in 3 seasons out of a possible 71 games. He also played 46 consecutive matches from 2006-2008.

He will be looking to spend some more time in the midfield in 2009, after spending the majority of 2008 in the forward line, occasionally rotating through the midfield. He has the knack to take the big grab and kick the impossible goal, which has made him a fan favourite. He has blistering speed and likes to have a bounce and take the opposition on, which will greatly benefit the team this season. Despite what some think, his tackling is ferocious and courage is outstanding. He has been handy in the forward line slotting in well with the other Magpie small forwards, in 2008 he kicked 23 goals adding to his career tally of 52.

He has been hitting the track hard this pre-season which should make him hard to stop in 2009.

Watch out for Dale Thomas in 2009!

Dale Thomas Buddy intro:

[youtube]kNBHsHvxcFw[/youtube]​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: #13 - Dale Thomas - 2009

dalethomas2999.jpg

New blog post from Dale. Good to see that he answered my questions.

Back from Bali and into training
http://dalethomas.bigblog.com.au/post.do?id=227770
Friday 23 January, 2009 - 15:39 by Dale

Summer has finally arrived to Melbourne and while I love the decent surfing conditions the good weather is bringing, it’s a double edged sword as the heat has made training a hell of a lot harder and more taxing.

Some days I have been driving to training in the morning and looked up at the big Nylex thermometer near the ground and the mercury is already past 30 degrees. When you see that you drop your head a bit and think about it being a hot one again, but at the end of the pre-season it will probably help us.

I am trying to enjoy the summer as much as I can despite training six days a week and am having a pretty good time.

Aside from training and surfing I have also had the chance to head out for some fishing down Sorrento with my mate ‘Habby’, and our girlfriends.

They have been some good times, most probably because we have been catching fish, especially the first time. We were only in about five metres of water and the fish were biting like crazy. I caught one off my first cast before the line had even gone deep and took home some nice fish, including a decent flathead which was cooked up for dinner.

Backtracking a little bit and I want to thank everyone for the Xmas and New Years wishes. I spent New Years in Bali with Kylee and a couple more of our friends.

It was my first time in Bali and I really enjoyed just kicking back and relaxing.

We were staying in Legian and spent a bit of time relaxing by the pool and sipping on some Bintang, which really does go down smoothly.

We also did a bit of shopping. Anyone who has been to Bali will tell you it’s an experience to shop over there and barter with the locals. In a way it’s kind of funny that you can end up arguing over 5-10 cents as the Aussie dollar will buy you 6000 rupea, but that’s the way it is.

It’s actually quite a tiring experience because you can’t really say you’re just looking as you are constantly being shown goods and getting asked if you want to buy this or that.

Like most people I found it fun at first, but my patience probably wore a bit thin later on.

It was a pretty good break though. Six days in Bali was worth it and it only really takes as long to fly to as Perth.

Since then I have been back at training and putting in the hard yards. I’m actually finding it easier to do pre-season training this year and think it comes with the experience of having done it for a few years now.

I now know what to expect and know it’s going to feel like I’m dying out there everyday as opposed to the younger guys who aren’t really ready for it.

Having said that the really young guys in the squad get looked after just like I did when I was their age and when it gets to the really hard part of the session they are pulled aside and taken care of.

While the pre-season has been hot and fairly long, the games are coming around quickly and we are preparing for our first trial match in around two weeks time at Subiaco. So in the end all the training in the heat will probably help us with the dry Perth conditions.

The curse of the stingray barb continues to strike down AFL players en masse. David Hille of Essendon was stung this week adding to a list including Jarrad Grant from the Bulldogs and West Coast’s Daniel Kerr. Fortunately for David he didn’t have too bad a reaction.

I think it’s a more a common occurrence because we do a bit of work in the shallows at beaches. Personally I am more concerned with sharks at the moment, given the recent spate of attacks.

Looking at the Herald Sun the other week I can’t believe a surf instructor didn’t order his students out of the water when a shark was cruising by close to them.

Having said that I think you have more chance of being killed by an errant coconut than a shark attack and tend to think if it’s your time then it’s your time and unfortunately for you, you were going to go that way.

It’s been a while so I thought I’d answer some of your questions on the blog.

Nathan – When it comes to pressure to perform there is a bit of it, especially here at Collingwood, but we deal with it by doing the hard work and preparing for each game the best we can, and we are able to do that because the club provides some great support staff and facilities.

As for my goals for 2009 I haven’t really sorted them out yet, but will work them out after I have a sit down with Paul Hudson (who has come on as a forward’s coach this year) sometime soon.

Laura – I played cricket as a kid, and made some regional teams as a wicketkeeper and that’s my best sport of the three. As a tennis player I make a very good footy player and as far as golf goes I am consistently inconsistent, although I do have a hole in one to my name, which occurred at ‘Royal’ Drouin. Some say fluke I say good shot.

As for our slogan for 2009 I believe it’s ‘Side by Side’. At least that’s the one from our membership campaign.

That just about brings me up to speed. I’m off to Lochsport this weekend with Kylee to enjoy my last weekend off in a while.

Dale

dalethomas2923.jpg

Thomas is going to be moved to midfield finally! I'm looking forward to the NAB Cup match next Saturday! Link here.

0,5001,6465592,00.jpg

Cooling off... Dale Thomas will play a major role this season. David Caird

Dale Thomas expected to step-up for Collingwood for 2009 season

By Jon Ralph
January 31, 2009

OUT: Scott Burns. In: Dale Thomas. The search to replace Collingwood's hard-nosed former captain might not be as simple as that, but Thomas is ready to take up some of the midfield slack.

Thomas's move from half-forward to the centre was one of several eye-catching positional changes on show at Collingwood's intraclub match yesterday. This was no pre-season experiment -- the Pies have told Thomas he is ready for a hugely increased role in the midfield this year and he has trained accordingly.

His fitness is at a career-best level, and as he matched up against fellow Gippsland Power draftee Scott Pendlebury yesterday, he put his freakishly good weapons to good use.

Collingwood played their third intra-club scratch match yesterday in preparation for next Saturday's NAB Cup opener against West Coast with nearly the entire squad on deck.

dalethomas2924.jpg

Dale Thomas kicked off his 2009 campaign in the midfield last night.

While he didn't get a high amount of possessions (16) he was hard at the ball and did a lot of 1%'s to advantage of team-mates. This was evident in the first quarter when he assisted Tarkyn Lockyer in kicking the first goal of the match. The ball was stuck in a pack, Thomas grabbed the ball, did a quick handpass to Lockyer and Tarkyn kicked truly.
He finished the first quarter with 6 possessions and 1 behind.

The second quarter he only collected 3 possessions but helped a lot of team-mates out yet again, still going hard at the ball and setting up team-mates.
He finished the quarter with 3 possessions and 1 behind.

The third quarter was basically the same, (hard at the ball etc) but he pulled down a screamer that could be best mark of the NAB Cup. The ball was kicked high over a pack, then all of a sudden Thomas was on the back of a helpless Eagle's player, as he took a specky with a pack forming around him. As soon as took the mark he bounced back up and handpassed the ball to a team-mate.
He finished the third quarter with three possessions.

In the fourth quarter Thomas collected four more possessions as the Pies thumped the West Coast Eagles by 62 points.

:thumbsu: Pros:
- He went hard at the ball all day/night.
- Did a lot of 1%'s.
- Set up a couple of goals.
- His kicking skills were good.

:thumbsdown: Cons:
- Needs to improve his set shots for goal.
- Didn't get high possession numbers.

Stats:
Kicks - 8
Handballs - 8
Possessions - 16
Marks - 7
Tackles - 2
Supergoals - 0
Goals - 0
Behinds - 2

Pictures from Round 1 NAB Cup 2009:

dalethomas3048.jpg
dalethomas3036.jpg
dalethomas3043.jpg
dalethomas3042.jpg

Yeah his 2 set shots where Bannas

Yeah his 2 set shots where Bannas
Pretty unlucky to miss those two set shots. First one faded to the left and the second one hit the post.
If he was on the run you could just about guarantee he would put it through.
I was happy with his performance, he looked comfortable in the midfield and you can't take his flair away from him in any position, which was quite obvious when he took one hanger and nearly took a second one from a higher position. The second attempt he broke away the pack to allow a Travis Cloke goal.
Can't wait until the next match in three weeks to see how he performs again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back