Davis333

Debutant
Jun 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rumour over on Demonland.

Paddo writes -
I was speaking to a mate today - apparently he knows someone inside the Pies who told him that Danny Stanley and Ryan Cook want to be traded to Melbourne, citing limited opportunities as the reason.

Don't know about our club's stance on this, but do you think we would entertain either of these guys on our list. Personally, I think Cook would be worth a punt - he was a highly touted youngster (2005 Draft No. 23).

Danny Stanley has carved it up in the VFL this year (which usually doesn't account for much). He is a strong-bodied half-back / midfielder but I think we have enough of these.

Thoughts??

Ive got no idea about these guys, any info?

they are pretty good at VFL level, but it stops there.

both have poor skills and decision making at AFL level, take them on at your peril.

seriously wish stanley could make it, desperately need a player of his size around the clearances.

they may want to be traded to melbourne, but it doesnt mean melbourne want them!
either way i'd be happy to get anything for either of them as thier long term prospects are collingwood seem slim to none.

This is my take on them

Stanley- strong bodied, good overhead, hard at it nside-mid who also plays high half forward, kicked a few goals in the VFL, however he has average disposal, can be prone to some shocking kicks, poor awareness, too slow

Cook- runs all day, racks up posessions, outside mid, also has average disposal, not overly quick, very vanilla

Both are VFL standard players who are not good enough for AFL imo.

That said, Cook + Stanley for Davey?:D

Cook runs around circles like a chicken with it's head cut off so I wouldn't bother with him. Stanley IMO should of played more for Collingwood I like how hard he's at the ball but he's kicking let's him down but hey o'bree plays so can't get worse then him :)

Odds are they will both be given another chance in my opinion and they are definitely worth the punt I think.

They are far better prospects than a few blokes that have been given second chances in recent history so I wouldn't blame a club for giving it a go.

I imagine it would be very much a Ashley Corrie esque trade and in that regard certainly worth a crack for Melbourne, especially when they are going to have so many undeveloped youngsters coming through.
Stanley would be a decent player if he got enough time at the top I believe, he has his deficiencies, but solely as an extractor he poses some value.

I still think one of them may be kept on our list, but I hope the two of them are still on AFL lists next year, they are hard workers and deserve a punt.
A thin draft will definitely help their prospects.

Ryan Cook has definitely requested a trade to Melbourne. Not sure about Stanley.

I would think that Stanley would been keen to go to Melbourne, played juniors at Ocean Grove and Geelong Falcons with Clint Bartram and apparently they're good mates.

I would think that Stanley would been keen to go to Melbourne, played juniors at Ocean Grove and Geelong Falcons with Clint Bartram and apparently they're good mates.

This is true. Is probably better mates with Shaun Higgins though, not that the doggies are interested or anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I highly rate Stanley, and so did Nathan Buckley when he came to the club. That might be Stanley's saving grace now that Buckley is coaching.

Stanley is not going to be a superstar AFL player, but could still turn out to be a decent in and under.

He was clearly Collingowod's best performed VFL player, and copped heavy tags in the finals.

Stanley has played a few AFL games, but has never been given consecutive chances. He is a tad slow, so it will take him atleast a month of solid footy to adjust to the pace. I think if given a month, you could make a better read on him. It's harsh to judge him on his AFL performances when he has played predominantly in losses, and often out of position.

His first game, he was shoved to full back and played on Robbo.

On Cook - definitely knows how to find the ball, and has proven himself at VFL level. I think his decision making is ordinary. But he has shown he can tag at AFL level and did a great job on Stanton in last years ANZAC day.

The problem is he has some criminal charges pending which is an issue.

Both would be very handy acquisitions for Melbourne who would be reeling by the departure of Mclean. Both would atleast add a more mature body. You can't expect Scully and Trengove to do all the in and under work in their first year.

Both would be very handy acquisitions for Melbourne who would be reeling by the departure of Mclean. Both would atleast add a more mature body. You can't expect Scully and Trengove to do all the in and under work in their first year.

I wouldn't say reeling, it stings but looking at it as glass half full it's best that he goes now rather than in another 2-3 years.

If there's one thing Scully or Trengove won't have to do, it's go in and get the hard ball on their own. While we have lost McLean we still have the likes of Jones, Moloney and Valenti that can go in and get the hard ball and are improving every game.

I wouldn't say reeling, it stings but looking at it as glass half full it's best that he goes now rather than in another 2-3 years.

If there's one thing Scully or Trengove won't have to do, it's go in and get the hard ball on their own. While we have lost McLean we still have the likes of Jones, Moloney and Valenti that can go in and get the hard ball and are improving every game.

He wins a lot of hard ball, averaged under 4 contested possessions a game. :rolleyes:

There's no guarantee that Bartram will be at Melbourne next year.

And who will Melbourne be dealing with to get a trade for Ryan Cook, Collingwood or Barwon Prison FC?

No disrespect mate, but that's a shocking onball division.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back