Bulldogsmans fantom draft finalised (detailed anaylsis)

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 28, 2007
NSW
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hello and welcome to Bulldogsman's s fantom draft. This is my second effort.

Last time I tried to do it in the middle of trade week which was a big mistake. Anyway apparently the first six picks are fairly well set so I decided to go with the flow from there. I've tried to go on a few reports on which club is interested in which players etc. But mostly it's all guess work.

1st Round

PICK 1 – MELBOURNE - Tom Scully (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 15/05/91
Mid

Tom is the best player in this year’s draft and I have no doubt Melbourne will pick him up at number one. He’s so smart around the packs with clean and quick hands. I would hate to tag him. He runs all day like a little terrier getting to contest after contest picking up clearance after clearance or tackle after tackle. He’s also a very good on the outside too which I guess makes him such a gun. His kicking is probably his biggest weakness but it’s nowhere near what people suggest. Also has good leadership qualities.

PLAYING LIST: Melbourne need a lot of things (except maybe tall defenders), but really midfielders especially with the loss of McLean. Scully should fit in very nicely and Melbourne should be able to build a team around him and Watts.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: No one he’s the best.

PICK 2 – MELBOURNE - Jack Trengove (Sturt, SA)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 02/09/91
HFF/Mid

Jack gets a lot of the ball, has good hands, a good kick and is quite creative. He pretty much rotates from the half forward flank to the midfield so can kick a few goals. He doesn’t really have some of the athletic attributes of some of the others but has enough speed and endurance for AFL. He played in the SANFL so he’s as readymade as you can be. Shows great leadership and is very much a damaging genuine footballer.

PLAYING LIST – As above Melbourne need quality mids and would love another one with another ball magnet. Should be a good fit and he will probably be the one delivering the ball lace out to Watts.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: I seriously considered Morabito here as he is just a very rare player.
Melbourne tend to love these athletic types so he could still be a roughy.

PICK 3 – RICHMOND - Dustin Martin (Bendigo Pioneers, VIC)
Height: 187cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 26/06/91
Mid/forward

Richmond supporters will finally have something to cheer about as they add yet another gun mid. First and four most he’s a ball winner who can kick on both sides and has good speed especially over the first 20 metres. Just plays both inside and outside very well. Why wouldn’t you be happy? He is often a handful up forward too as he’s good one on one. Will be a gun, who can rotate with Cotchin or Deledio up forward.

PLAYING LIST: Richmond have identified the need for good foot skills and a quality mid. Dustin has some of the best skills in the draft and he’s quality. He will fit in really well with Crotchin, Delidio and Foley.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Again considered Morabito but he doesn’t have elite foot skills. John Butcher as well as he’s quality, but there should be a few tall’s at their second round pick.

PICK 4 – FREMANTLE- Anthony Morabito (Peel Thunder, WA)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 29/10/91
Mid
Fremantle will be absolutely stoked with this pick as it really gives them something different to their other mids. Two words to describe this bloke, game breaker. Morabito has fantastic ball winning ability, good hands and mark, versatile, terrific speed and evasiveness. He doesn’t need a lot of the ball to impact the game to. Okay I might as well just say it, he’s an Adam Goodes clone. Like Adam Goodes early in his career, he really needs to work on his kicking but I it’s not too bad and can be fixed.

PLAYING LIST: In the last few years Fremantle have taken 3 gun mids in the first round. I can’t see that changing as Morabito is just too good to pass up. They really need to start taking some talls in the next round though.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: If Morabito is gone, Freo really need some quality talls so Butcher would be next on my list. To a lesser extent also Cunnington as he would give them a lot of heart.

PICK 5 – NORTH MELBOURNE - Ben Cunnington (Geelong Falcons, VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 30/06/91
Mid/forward

I really really love this bloke and so should you. In a contest no matter what the situation is (1 on 2, 1 on 3), Cunnington will rarely lose (I would love to just put Dylan Addison and Cunnington in a ring together and let them just go at it). Cunnington is also quite good by foot, very clean on the ground and in the air and best of all he will always put the team first and never give up. He can play deep up forward, mid and half back all quite well too. He’s just the type of bloke who anyone would want at the club.

PLAYING LIST: Having an analysis of North Melbourne there list is actually okay. They need a few mids, medium forwards, running backs and tall forwards. There tall forward stocks don’t look good with Tarrant who could be another Rusling, Smith is not good enough and Hale is not a great forward.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: I had Butcher here last time but North seem to be really keen on Cunnington. I really rate Cunnington and he’s one of my favourites.

PICK 6 – SYDNEY - Gary Rohan (Geelong Falcons, VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 07/06/91
Forward/Mid

Sydney will be licking their lips as they haven’t seen talent like this since Goodes (well maybe a bit over the top). Gary has improved out of sight this year and still has a heap more potential. He’s quick, good hands in the air and at ground level, excellent defensive pressure, good evasive skills and just has that X factor. He has a number of areas where he can improve on but in a few years time I see him as a HFF/mid bursting out of the pack and kicking long goals. If I lived in Perth even I would buy a membership.

PLAYING LIST: Sydney did really well in trade week and I kind of stuffed them up last time. They seem to have rucks covered now and there backline seems okay. They need mids, forwards and another tall with a few in retirement.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Butcher here but I think mids and forwards are more the priority for Sydney. Considered Lucas and Melksham also but I think Sydney have all but committed to Rohan.

PICK 7 – WEST COAST - Lewis Jetta (Swan Districts, WA)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 04/05/89
Small Midfielder

Jetta seems to get talked up more and more with each and every day and rightly so. Jetta is a quick run and carry type player who loves a goal. I think he can play either as a small forward or winger but I’ve never seen him as a small forward so it’s only my opinion. Seems to be a perfect replacement for Lovett plus I think he’s a lot more of a team player (lays some good tackles and I like his defensive pressure). He’s a 21 year old next year so is readymade.

PLAYING LIST: Found it very hard to identify what they need as they have a lot of good young players, but it looks like they need some outside mids, running defenders, KPD and a small forward. Will look for a KPD in the next round
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Gave Lucas some serious thought but I see him as a similar player to what they’ve got. They seem to be really keen on Sheppard here but I think this is too high to be picking him up.

PICK 8 – PORT ADELAIDE - John Butcher (Gippsland Power, VIC)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 03/07/91
Tall forward

It’s been a pretty tough year for Butcher but I still think he’s the best KP and I can’t see him slipping any further. He has been injured a fair bit this year and I heard he didn’t do a pre season either which makes it even tougher. Butcher has good pace, agility and endurance for his size. He’s probably the best contested mark in this year’s draft and is very clean below his knees. The sheer size of him plus his vertical leap means he can pluck marks like Buddy Franklin (2008). There some big question marks on his kicking but Tredea was just as bad and now he isn’t so bad.

PLAYING LIST: With Tredrea nearing retirement and with Westhoff struggling they are in desperate need for some quality tall forwards and Butcher is perfect. They also lost both of the Burgoyne brothers too and they really need some hardness in there.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Talia, Black and Carlisle but Butcher is the best

PICK 9 – PORT ADELAIDE - Jake Melksham (Calder Cannons, VIC)

Height: 182cm, Weight: 69kg, DOB: 29/8/91
Mid

Melksham is a funny one, he has probably been a bit of a disappointment this year and I for one rated him as a top 5 before the start of the season. Although he wasn’t that bad people expected so much more from him they started underrating him including me. Anyway the GF changed all that now he’s back in first round contention. Melksham has fantastic balance with good skills on both sides of his body. He has great agility and I think he uses it better than anyone else in the draft weaving through packs (thought he might test a bit better). He’s very clean at ground level and not bad in the air. He is very hard at the stoppages and can play both inside and outside well. He has good endurance and looks a bit quicker then he actually is.

PLAYING LIST: See above
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: I chopped and changed to Lucas a couple of times but after watching a bit of highlights I’ve decided to go for Melksham instead I think Tapscott should be considered here also.

PICK 10 - ESSENDON - Kane Lucas (East Fremantle, WA)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 26/06/91
Mid/forward

It’s fair to say I haven’t seen as much as Kane compared to the others in the entire first round. Lucas is more an outside mid that can win his own ball and a forward with fantastic kicking skills on either side of his body. He has good vision and awareness, is an athletic freak, good defensive skills and loves to run and carry. Once he manages enough games at AFL level I think he would be very hard to tag.

PLAYING LIST: Essendon will desperately hoping Melksham falls as he is perfect for them. They are in desperate need for some genuine mids as they have a lot of flankers and pretty good talls in the backline (but not really up forward). They should also look for a medium forward.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Tapscott.

PICK 11 – MELBOURNE - Aaron Black (Peel Thunder, WA)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 29/11/90
Tall forward

Melbourne will take a bit of a bolter in the likely hood he won’t be there by second round pick. I’ll admit I’ve only seen this bloke play twice and it was on DVD but what I saw was quite outstanding. Black just seems to work really hard no matter what the state of the game is in. He seemed to be able run down opponents and give some great second and third efforts. Some other great attributes he had were terrific hands below and above, good kick, quick and seemed to use his agility quite well also. Maybe I caught him on a good day, but with the success of Tippett I would’ve thought clubs would be all over him.
PLAYING LIST: Melbourne have Watts as a tall forward but that’s about it. Black looks to be a gun and would work well with Watts
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERTION: Carlisle and Talia

PICK 12 – CARLTON - Jake Carlisle (Calder Cannons, VIC)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 01/10/91
CHB/CHF

Jake had a fairly good U18’s carnival and a pretty good finals series for Calder. He moves well for a big fella, has strong hands above or below, good skills and he reads the play pretty well. He can play both forward and back really well, I saw him get over 30 possessions rotating forward and back so he can rack them up. At this stage though he’s fairly inconsistent and those types of games are few. Still has a lot of upside to his game.

PLAYING LIST: They still need some key forwards even with the loss of Fevola but Henderson will give them something. I think there biggest need is though a couple of running backs with elite skills. Even though Stevens can be fairly ordinary he is a huge loss to them as he was one of the few with those elite skills.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Brad Sheppard and Tapscott.

PICK 13 – ADELAIDE - Luke Tapscott (North Adelaide, SA)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 28/06/91
Forward/Mid

Adelaide should be happy to take this solid built forward/midfielder who reminds me a bit of Paul Chapman and Hurn. Tapscott seems to read the play well and I think he has the best foot skills in the draft. He’s a very good mark for his size and is clean below his knees. He can win his own ball and quickly fire off a handball. He is a big bodied player like Chapman and seems to be like a true footballer rather than an athlete. Readymade

PLAYING LIST: Adelaide should have enough talls they could probably go after some small and maybe a medium forward with x factor. Running backs should also be on the list with Goodwin and McLeod nearing retirement.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Brad Sheppard and Andrew Moore but I went with the best available.

PICK 14 – SYDNEY - Daniel Talia (Calder Cannons, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 02/10/91
CHB/CHF

Daniel is the best defender in the draft no doubt and really seems like a nice guy. He is quite quick and works really hard either defensively or when attacking. He’s also not just a defender he can play as forward or even on the ball for a bit. He has fairly clean hands and is a strong enough mark. His skills are generally pretty good as well and often makes the right decisions. He shouldn’t take too long and could probably play a couple games next year.

PLAYING LIST: Gone with a tall at this pick and I think will be the replacement for Leo Barry. He may be able to play as a forward but I like him better as a defender.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Koby Stevens and Andrew Moore

PICK 15 – WESTERN BULLDOGS - Bradley Sheppard (East Fremantle, WA)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 23/05/91
HBF/BP/Mid

I’ve heard the dogs don’t expect Sheppard to be available at this pick but if he is I think they will get him. Sheppard is one of my favourites he not only shuts down his opponent but also gets plenty of the ball himself. He’s quick, good kick on either side of his body and makes good decisions. He reads the play really well and can often take plenty of marks in front of his opponent. He didn’t really concentrate on footy until this year because of cricket so there’s still plenty of improvement left in him.

PLAYING LIST: The dogs have stocked up on Rucks and tall forwards in the last year so they should be okay for now. They should have enough mids too with 2 father sons coming through also but should look for some real speed. They have an aging forward line so should try and get a couple mediums and smalls. They need another tall defender as well and to a rebounding defender to replace a few ageing players.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: I know the Dogs are also interested in Jasper McMillan-Pittard but I would be a little shocked if we picked him since Clayton left. Were also interested in Travis Colyer and Moore. Will be desperately hoping Talia slips through.

PICK 16 – PORT ADELAIDE - Andrew Moore (Eastern Ranges, VIC)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 30/05/91
Utility

Andrew is probably the most versatile player of this draft and has been likened to Andy Otten. A couple of times I’ve seen him do a real good job on his opponent for 3 quarters, then bob up in the last and kick a couple of goals. He is very good overhead, fairly clean at ground level, good on his preferred right boot and makes good decisions. I think he could play either in a Ryan O’Keefe role or an Andy Otten role as a defender.

PLAYING LIST: Port could really use Moore at either end or could eventually put him in the midfield like Chad Cornes.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Koby Stevens.

PICK 17 – GEELONG - Koby Stevens (Gippsland Power, VIC)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 18/06/91
Mid

Best available. Koby has slipped a little but I can’t see him going past West Coast’s pick who would love him. Stevens is a smart player around the stoppages who is ferocious when attacking either the ball or man. He can play outside but he’s more of an inside mid with contested ball his biggest strength. He’s very strong overhead and has clean hands at ground level. His kicking is okay but it’s something he needs to improve. He is a strong tackler and a good example.

PLAYING LIST: Geelong are getting older by the day and may have a lot of players retire next year. Most notably there back half. Milburn is 32, Harley is 31, Scarlett is 30 and Wojcinski is 30. They also lost big Mumford while Ottens is 29 with bad injuries. They have Dawson Simpson but doesn’t seem to be doing a lot so far and Blake is crap.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: I considered Vardy as they need a ruckman but I think he’s too high to be picked up.

2nd Round

PICK 18 – MELBOURNE - Nathan Vardy (Gippsland Power, VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 25/06/91
Ruckman

Vardy is probably the best ruckman in the draft but not by much. He seems like a very good tap ruckman which would make Melbourne very happy. He also has real good kicking skills for a ruckman and is pretty good overhead. Works really hard at the stoppages and is not a liability when the ball hits the deck. I also think there is a good amount of improvement left in him still.

PLAYING LIST: Melbourne now have a good ruckman although I think he’s probably 10 places to high but they need him.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Jack Fitzpatrick and Max Gawn.

PICK 19 – RICHMOND - Benjamin Griffiths (Eastern Ranges, VIC)
Height: 198cm, Weight: 99kg, DOB: 17/09/91
Key Forward

Moved big Ben up the order as clubs will take a risk on him. Big question marks whether his body will hold up, but I’ve gone with him anyway because he’s too good of a forward. Big strong, quick and tall are all above good traits for this KPF. Attacks the contest really hard and can often bring down a strong pack mark. He’s an absolute massive kick and a fairly accurate one too. He has very quick and clean hands also, just a bit of a handful up forward would be an understatement.

PLAYING LIST: With Riewoldt’s lead up play and Griffiths bash and crash type play they should form a very good combination.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Matthew Panos but he’s very similar to Riewoldt. Also considered Crichton and Bastinac.

PICK 20 – FREMANTLE - Matthew Panos (Norwood, SA)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 25/01/91
FF

I had Panos at 16 last time but with Carlisle moving up he’s slipped a little. Anyway Panos is a very smart forward who has good hands, good on the lead and is a very good kick especially at goal. He is a genuine full forward and a footballer so the club won’t have to wait several years before he plays and I expect to see him play a couple games next year.

PLAYING LIST: Panos is a little similar to Pavlich and should be a good replacement for them.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered some mids here in Crichton and Bastinac but they really need to go tall.

PICK 21 – NORTH MELBOURNE - Jessie Crichton (Tassie Mariners, TAS)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 66kg, DOB: 18/06/91
Mid

One of my favourites and in my opinion is very underrated. Jessie had a fairly average year compared to last year (note was rated as possible a first round selection at the start of year), but was still fairly solid. Can play inside or outside and can pick up a lot of the ball. He has a great ability to find space where there isn’t and knows what’s around him which what makes him dangerous. But probably what I like about him the most is his competitiveness and willingness to do the hard yards to put the team first (would be very coachable). His kicking isn’t as bad as people say but needs some work. He could play a couple games but I’d leave him in the two’s for a year and let his body develop.

PLAYING LIST: With Cunnington, Ziebell and now Crichton they should field now an excellent combination.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Colyer and Taylor

PICK 22 – WEST COAST - Travis Colyer (Claremont, WA)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 24/8/91
Mid/Small forward

Colyer is a small attacking midfielder and should be able to play as a small forward. He has pretty good skills but can spray them at times and doesn’t always hit his target by handball, resonable hands and is very composed in traffic. He did very well at draft camp with excellent speed and endurance. He works really hard with defensive pressure as well and often comes from one hundred meters away to lay a tackle. He can also run out of the pack and kick a brilliant goal. Could go higher

PLAYING LIST: This might not happen especially with West Coast picking up Jetta but I think this is best available and now will give them a lot of speed.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Mitch Duncan as he seems like a West Coast pick and Troy Taylor

PICK 23 – WEST COAST - Sam Reid (Murray Bushrangers, VIC)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 27/12/91
Key Back

I’ve moved Sam up as I think he’s a little underrated on BF. Sam is a key back who has been tried as a forward with a little success. I’ve seen a fair bit of him this year and he seems to be suited as a defender. He still has a heap of potential but generally he provides good run from defence and makes good decisions when he has it. He is a really big contested mark too and it’s often this is where he gets a lot of his possessions from. Had an outstanding draft camp testing really well in most tests especially the speed and leap test. He has improved so much this year and still a lot more to come. I really rate him

PLAYING LIST: Mitch Brown should be able to move forward when Reid develops a little more
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Mitch Duncan, Troy Taylor.

PICK 24 – ESSENDON - Ryan Bastinac (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 22/06/91
Mid/forward

Ryan is a good solid inside midfielder who is able to go forward and kick the odd goal. He is good around stoppages and wins a lot of contested ball. He has nice clean hands, good skills by foot both left and right and is good in traffic. Off the ball he tackles really well and puts good pressure on. He has okay pace and can run all day (2nd in the both endurance tests at draft camp). He’s just a good solid all round player with not many weaknesses.

PLAYING LIST: With Lucas, Bastinac will be welcome editions to Essendon. Both will not be stars but will still be good solid players.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Troy Taylor and Mitch Duncan

PICK 25 – NORTH MELBOURNE - Troy Taylor (NT Thunder, NT)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 12/09/91
Forward

Taylor has slipped a little from where I had him. Troy is a freakish forward who plays like a Motlop. I’ve only seen him play a couple of times where he was fairly quiet but seemed to flash in and out of the game. He has very good skills, nice hands and has impressive second and third efforts. He looks very agile but will probably have to work on his endurance and body size. He has a lot of talent and Geelong always back themselves so I see him at this pick.

PLAYING LIST: Since Motlop left them they have lost a bit of x factor. He should work well with Campbell and Thomas
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Mitch Duncan would’ve been the safer option.

PICK 26 – ESSENDON - Mitchell Duncan (East Perth, WA)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 10/6/91
Utility

Mitch has slipped a little and there is a high chance he may go to West Coast replacing Colyer. Mitch is a lead up forward who is super overhead and can run all day. Reads the play really well and is quite smart. He’s a good kick and makes really good decisions. Seemed to improve his defensive side of the game and leadership as well every time I see him. He’s not the quickest going around, but he isn’t the slowest either. I really like him as a player and seems he’s always looking to improve.
solid all round player with not many weaknesses.

PLAYING LIST: With Essendon having enough speed I’ve gone with a player who lacks it but is good in plenty of other areas. Will strengthen either the midfield, back half or the forward half.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Nat Fyfe as he is a classy forward, Allen Christensen and Fitzpatrick.

PICK 27 – BRISBANE - Allen Christensen (Geelong Falcons, VIC)

Height: 176cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 19/05/91
Mid/forward

Others have Allen going a lot higher then this but I just can’t see it. Allen is a small midfielder who gets plenty of contested possessions and is smart around the goals. He is quite quick, a neat kick and can nab a few clever goals. He also likes to break the lines and run with the footy plus he seems pretty hard to tackle. I think he could play fairly early as a small forward.

PLAYING LIST: Allen slipped a fair way here and Brisbane should pounce as they need mids with speed.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Nat Fyfe another medium forward and Callum Bartlett.

PICK 28 – GEELONG - Joseph Dare (Geelong Falcons, VIC)

Height: 188cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 17/10/92
Forward/back

Joseph Dare can play forward or back but seems more suited to defence (btw apparently his birthday is wrong not sure how but he’s eligible for this year). He reads the play really well and often found himself on much bigger opponents this year. He looks very composed when he has the ball and is a neat kick. He’s also good on the lead up forward and can kick a few goals. Looks really good athletically also and I think will make a good AFL player.

PLAYING LIST: As stated earlier Geelong really need to start replacing some running defenders as there will be a fair few retirements. Dare will help. Also looked at Gawn but he’s similar to Dawson.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Considered Harwood as I think could do a Cameron Ling tag or could be rotated with Bartel and Corey as a utility.

PICK 29 – ADELAIDE - Nat Fyfe (Claremont, WA)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 18/09/91
FP/Wing

Fyfe is a pretty smart forward who can do something out of nothing. He is a very good mark and just reads it really well. He is a good kick when he wants to be its just sometimes tries to do too much with it. He knows where the goals are and can lose his man going for long runs. Still has a lot of upside to his game very similar to Burton.

PLAYING LIST: He will add something different to the forward line and should now have a very one of the best forward lines in a few year’s time.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: A utility in Harwood.

PICK 30 – COLLINGWOOD - Jack Fitzpatrick (Western Jets, VIC)

Height: 201cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 26/06/91
Forward/Ruck

I’m not a big fan of Fitzpatrick but I think we may see him go higher in the real thing. He’s quick, agile and built like a bit of a stick. He’s pretty good overhead, okay at ground level, okay kick and usually makes the right decision. He still has a lot of upside yet and still needs some more size. He gets fairly well bagged for his kicking but he isn’t that bad. I see him as a forward that rucks a bit, much like Cordy. He will take some time, but like Cordy he should be worth it.

PLAYING LIST: Collingwood fans won’t like this but I see Jack replacing Josh Fraser but he will spend more time in the forward line then ruck. They need tall forwards and another inside mid.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Gysberts and Bartlett

PICK 31 – WESTERN BULLDOGS - Callum Bartlett (Geelong Falcons, VIC)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 19/06/91
Mid

I rate Bartlett higher then all of the midfielders taken in the second round but because he suffered an injury all year I have him going much later (obviously). Callum possesses great pace, agility, good jump and is probably one of the best kicks by foot in the draft. He’s a very good ball winner but at times needs to put a bit more defensive pressure on. Could be a steal.

PLAYING LIST: This is the ideal pick up for the dogs and exactly what we need. With Bartlett, Wallis and young Libba coming through I would expect the midfield to be the best in the competition.
UNDER CONSIDERATION: Looked at tall defenders in Astbury an Hartigan but Bartlett is perfect for the dogs.

PICK 32 – ST KILDA - Jordan Gysberts (Eastern Ranges, VIC)
Height: 188cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 11/06/91
Mid/forwards

Fair to say I’m probably Jordan’s biggest critic. Jordan is a genuine footballer who is a smart player. He never fumbles (well the times I’ve seen him anyway) and good overhead. He is a okay kick and makes good decisions. Can go forward and kick a few goals. Really not sure about him maybe I caught him on a few bad days as he didn’t pick up enough of the ball. Probably won’t go as low as this, but I’m having trouble seeing what his exact position is. I have my doubts.
PLAYING LIST: Saints will welcome another midfielder
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: A couple tall defenders in Hartigan and Astbury.

PICK 33 – ESSENDON - Max Gawn (Sandringham Dragons, VIC)

Height: 206cm, Weight: 97kg, DOB: 28/12/91
Ruckmen

Max is just a massive man and was a bit disappointed not seeing him this year and at draft camp. He’s an athletic ruckman who can go forward and kick goals. He’s a nice strong mark and tries hard at ground level. At 206cm obviously does well in the hit outs but probably needs to work on bringing them to advantage a bit more. I believe was touted as a first round draft pick so in a shallow draft and not many good ruckman I could see him going much higher.

PLAYING LIST: With only Laycock and Bellchambers as backup ruckman, Essendon needed this and will be absolutely stoked by this pick up.
OTHERS UNDER CONSIDERATION: Harwood as a utility and talls in Astbury and Hartigan.

3rd round

PICK 34 – MELBOURNE - Daniel Menzel (Central District, SA)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 13/09/91
HBF/mid

Daniel really caught my attention at the U 18’s. He’s a running defender who is very smart setting up play from defence. He has pretty clean hands, makes good decisions and usually hits his targets by hand or foot. He has good endurance and isn’t slow but he’s not quick either. He does have a bit of versatility too which makes him an even better prospect.

PICK 35 – RICHMOND - Roland Ah Chee (NT)

Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: ?
Mid/forward

Roland is a bit of a flashy type who can play as either up forward or a mid. He topped the possession count for all players in the Championships so knows how to find the pill. He has nice skills, good pace, good work rate and nice ball handling. Can make the odd wrong decision but I think it can be fixed not sure.

PICK 36 – FREMATLE – Kyle Hartigan (Western Jets, VIC)

Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 7/11/91
CHB/CHF

Hartigan ended the season with a bang, playing well in the last three games of the season. Looks better as a defender but can play forward. He’s a good mark, usually a good kick and can make good decisions. Runs off his opponent well and sets up play. Athletically he would be above average for a big man.

PICK 37 – NORTH MELBOURNE – David Astbury (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC)

Height: 193cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 26/02/91
Key forward/defender

David is all round good solid player. He’s a lead up forward with pretty strong hands and he can often bring down a few contested marks. He has good pace and endurance for his size and disposers of the ball well (needs a bit of goal kicking practice). His defensive pressure is quite good and generally does the team stuff.

PICK 38 – SYDNEY - Ryan Harwood (Tassie Mariners, TAS)
Height: 184cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 08/07/91
Mid/HBF/HFF

Ryan also had a great carnival earning All Australian selection. He has good foot skills, is good around the clearances and knows how to find the ball. Again he’s another one who is just a hard working footballer who gives it his all (By now I guess you’ve realised I love these types). Is prone to making a few decision making errors but is generally okay. At first I see him starting off as a tagger then eventually moving in the midfield.

PICK 39 – HAWTHORN - Chris Luff (WA)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: ?
Tall defender

Chris is a backman who reads the play really well. He’s pretty agile and looks quick enough for a big man. He can take a good mark and he is good enough below his knees also. He also has reasonable foot skills but nothing outstanding. He was fairly good in the under 18’s for WA and I think he has plenty of upside.

PICK 40 – GEELONG - James Craig (North Adelaide, SA)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 91kg, DOB: 18/04/91
Ruckman/key position

Ultimately I see James as a ruckman but to start off he could play as a tall defender or forward. James had an excellent U18’s carnival earning himself All Australian ruckman. He has a terrific leap and is good at the tap outs. He also has pretty good footskills and is a strong mark. He’s another player who gives his all and would be very coachable. Like Ryder and Clark I see Craig in a key position spot at first but then eventually in the ruck.

PICK 41 – NORTH MELBOURNE - Marcus Davies (Tassie Mariners, TAS)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 04/06/91
HBF/Mid

Marcus is a quick HBF/Mid with good skills on both sides of his body. He likes to run and carry and makes good decisions with ball in hand. He will take time but he will give North Melbourne something in the back half especially with the loss of Gibson and Smith.

PICK 42 – GEELONG - Bryon Sumner (Eagles, SA)
Height: 174cm, Weight: 68kg, DOB: 16/05/91
Mid

Another small bloke who is quick, clever, has good evasiveness and strong overhead are his strengths. He is also clean at ground level, good penetrating left foot kick and makes sound decisions. He seems to pick up a fair amount of contested ball and is good defensively. Not too sure if he can play as a small forward but seems okay for a winger.

PICK 43 – CARLTON – Jasper McMillan-Pittard (Geelong Falcons, VIC)

Height: 185cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 01/01/91
HBF/mid

Jasper is a bit lucky to make it in my phantom draft as the times of seen him he’s been poor. I have him at this pick because I think Carlton need these players with good skills. Jasper has great skills on both sides and makes good decisions. He’s okay above his head and below his knees. My biggest criticism of him is his lack of defensive skills. He lets his opponent get too much of the ball just needs to play a lot tighter. He will need a little bit of time though. As I mentioned before the bulldogs are very keen on him at a first round selection which I would be very disappointed with.

PICK 44 - RICHMOND – Anthony Long (Calder Cannons, VIC)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 06/01/91
HBF/Mid

Anthony has been injured a bit this year and thought he might go a bit higher than this. Anthony has impressive speed, agility and leap (obviously tested very well at draft camp). He has the ability to get through traffic really well, add to that also has great vision and awareness. He also has the ability to spring straight back up after getting knocked down.

PICK 45 – ADELAIDE - Dylan Roberton (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC)

Height: 190cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 21/06/91
Half back

I’m a fan of Roberton and I think un fairly gets left out of a lot of mock drafts. Roberton really caught my eye with about 4-5 bests in a row at the end of the season and kept Carlisle very quiet in the TAC GF. He’s a rebounding defender with real good skills and makes great decisions. He has okay hands and looks quick enough. Normally keeps his opponent in check while providing the side with enough rebound.

PICK 46 – HAWTHORN - Nicholas Winmar (Claremont, WA)

Height: 190cm, Weight: 78kg, Weight: 27/04/91
Wing/forward

This pick would give Geelong something a bit different. Nic is an attacking player with good skills, pretty good evasiveness, is fairly quick and good overhead. The biggest question mark over him though is his work ethic, which I guess now is called the Guy O’Keefe syndrome. He goes missing for periods of the game which it really all comes down to work rate. At this pick though he’s well worth the risk though.

PICK 47 – BRISBANE - Dylan Grimes (Northern Knights, VIC)

Height: 192cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 16/07/91
Half back

Dylan is a tallish defender who doesn’t lose many contests. Dylan is a real worker and has fantastic defensive skills. He reads the play really well and seems to have okay foot skills. Gets a fair few jobs on good opponents and rarely loses. Surprised me a bit with a top ten finish in the 20 metre sprint because he looks slow on the first couple steps. Good solid player.

PICK 48 – FREMATLE - Mark Hutchings (East Perth, WA)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 25/05/91
Mid

Hutchings is a hard at it inside mid. He has very good vision and quick hands. Generally is an okay kick but can improve it a bit, but generally makes the right decision. He reads the play really well and can often pick up big numbers. He seems to be able to run all day with good times at draft camp but does seem a little slow. Fantastic leadership abilities.

PICK 49 – FREMATLE – Joel Houghton (WA)

Height: 196cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: ?
CHF
I think Joel is overrated on theses boards and I think he could go even lower then this. He’s a nice moving CHF who likes a bit of rough stuff. He possesses good kicking skills and his decision making is okay. He leads well and is a good mark. Really the only tall forward in the second round though

4th Round

PICK 50 – RICHMOND - Derick Wanganeen (Port Adelaide, SA)

Height: 172cm, Weight: 63kg, DOB: 05/02/91
Mid/forward

Derek is quick mid/forward who possessors good clean hands in traffic and reads the play really well. He makes good decisions and has nice skills. He can kick some nice goals and is a good crumber. He’s very tiny so I think will take little while when or if he plays AFL. I realise they have Nahas but Wanganeen can play deep while Nahas up the ground.

PICK 51 – FREMANTLE – Joel McDonald –probably PSD?

PICK 52 – NORTH MELBOURNE – Alex Carey (Glenelg, SA)

Height: 181cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 27/08/91
Mid

Inside Mid who’s very courageous, excellent tackler, has good awareness, good decision maker and has great ball winning ability. His foot skills are okay but I did find it hard to judge as he got a fair amount under pressure. He seems like a good leader also as he’s a great example and always brings his teammates in the game. He needs to work on his speed and endurance. Myles Sewell an inside mid is also a possibility.

PICK 53 – SYDNEY – Daniel Bradshaw PSD

PICK 54 – GEELONG – Jason Tutt (NSW/ACT Rams)

Height: 176cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 15/05/91
HBF/mid

Jason is a rebounding defender with good skills. He loves to run and carry and has good leg speed. He is also a pretty good defender and I really like his attitude towards footy. He doesn’t get much recognition from big footy but at least get rookied.

PICK 55 – HAWTHORN - Tom Hill (Northern Knights, VIC)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 07/04/91
Key forward/defender/Ruck

Tom is a key forward/defender who can play a little bit in the ruck. He had real unlucky year in regards to injuries but I was a fan last year and would’ve picked him. He has a strong grab on and has nice skills by foot. He’s very athletic with excellent speed and agility. Last year what probably hurt him was his inconsistency and injuries. Seems to have good leadership ability also, will go late mainly due to injuries.

PICK 56 – HAWTHORN – Jessie W Smith (North Melbourne)

PICK 57 – ST KILDA - Sam Shaw (Oakleigh Chargers, VIC)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 05/04/91
Forward/?
Another player who I haven’t seen much of, but seems to have fairly good raps on him. He’s very athletic and can cover the ground really well. He’s strong overhead and seems to be good defensively. Looks to be very skinny so will take a while.

PICK 58 – ADELAIDE - Joshua Cowan (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC)
Height: 183cm, Weight: 71kg, DOB: 16/03/91
Winger

Another midfielder who I completely forgot last time. Josh is a wingman who with the ball in hand makes really good decisions and breaks the lines. At times when I’ve seen him he needs to pick up a bit more of the ball but he has fairly good defensive skills. Could go much higher due to his potential.

PICK 59 – COLLINGWOOD - Josh Thomas (Gold Coast, QLD)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 70kg, DOB: 01/10/91
Mid

I haven’t seen Josh play but it seems obvious he will get drafted by someone because he was already with the Gold Coast but decided not to come. He was talking up Melbourne (the city) in an article so it would seem we will see him at one of the Melbourne clubs. Apparently wins heaps of contested ball, has good kicking skills on either side and has pace.

PICK 60 – WESTERN BULLDOGS– Joshua Donaldson (West Perth, WA)

Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 04/05/91
Tall forward/defender

Donaldson is an athletic key position player with terrific speed and leap. He is a great kick, good mark (contested mark) and makes reasonable decisions. Josh can play at either end not really sure which position he’s suited to. He does seem to be able to read the play will probably go higher then this.

PICK 61 – RICHMOND - Ayden Kennedy (Eastern Ranges, VIC)

Height: 191cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 31/10/91
Forward/HB

Ayden is a forward that could be played as a defender. He is very athletic, evidenced by his draft camp results (fastest time in the 20 metre sprint, 4th agility). He has good hands at ground level, good on the lead and okay overhead. He’s pretty good kick also either at goal or in the general field of play. I have him going higher than some because he is someone who would be hard to match up on but it’s a bit of a risk as he can go missing.

PICK 62 – HAWTHORN – PSD selection think there looking at Chris Bryan?

PICK 63- RICHMOND - Zach Ledin (Geelong Falcons, VIC)
Height: 180cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 2/05/90
Mid

Zach is a midfielder who I think was eligible last year. He gets plenty of the ball, has good disposal, makes reasonable decisions and has good hands. He seems to have good speed and looks like he’s improved his endurance. Doesn’t venture into the forward line much either, I think needs to improve that. Seems to be loved by team mates and coach also.

PICK 64 – BRISBANE
Dylan McNeil (Murray Bushrangers, NSW)
Height: 178cm, Weight: 75kg, DOB: 20/03/91
Mid

Dylan is another player who I watched pretty closely this year. His strength is at the clearances and is very courageous. He can get a few goals up forward but he’s not really a forward. He’s very solid in most other areas and doesn’t have a lot of weaknesses. He made the All Australian this year and captained NSW/ACT and the Murray Bushrangers. I see him as a Sydney pick up as there style of play should really suit him.

PICK 65 – COLLINGWOOD - Andrew Hooper (North Ballarat Rebels, VIC)
Height: 172cm, Weight: 78kg, DOB: 18/01/91
HBF/Mid

Andrew is a defender who can play in the midfield. He is a very attacking player, but also smart who can win a lot of the ball. Andrew also won All Australian honours this year and is a joint Larke Medal winner. He is very good athletically testing really well in agility, leap and speed. The problem is he’s tiny. If played as a defender it could be a problem, you just don’t see this anymore so maybe will be tried as a forward?

PICK 66 – WESTERN BULLDOGS – They may re-draft Guy O’Keefe or Malcolm Lynch at this pick if not hopefully we look at a small forward

PICK 67 – RICHMOND – Gerrick Weedon (Claremont, WA)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 25/05/91
Forward
Forward who has the ability to push in the midfield in bursts.

PICK 68 – BRISBANE – Serhat Temel (Dandenong Stingrays, VIC)
Height: 194cm, Weight: 89kg
FF

Temel is a big boy who has probably the best hands in this year’s draft. He’s a pretty good kick for goal or just in the general field of play. He gets a lot of his goals out of out bodying players and simply won’t be able to do this at AFL level. Athletically he’s slow and not agile also. Realistically I think he will only be a rookie pick up, but I just wanted to put him in as I think he deserves it after a good season.

Adelaide

Luke Tapscott - Mid/forward
Nat Fyfe - FP/Wing
Dylan Roberton - third tall running defender
Joshua Cowan - Wing

Brisbane Lions

Allen Christensen - Mid/small forward
Dylan Grimes - tall defender
Dylan McNeil - Inside mid
Serhat Temel - FF

Carlton

Jake Carlisle - CHF/CHB
Jasper McMillan-Pittard - HBF/mid

Collingwood

Jack Fitzpatrick - forward/ruck
Josh Thomas - Inside mid
Andrew Hooper - BP/mid

Essendon

Kane Lucas - Mid/forward
Ryan Bastinac - Mid/forward
Mitch Duncan - Utility
Max Gawn - Ruck

Fremantle

Anthony Morabito - Wing
Matthew Panos - FF
Kyle Hartigan - CHB/CHF
Mark Hutchings - inside mid
Joel Houghton - CHF

Geelong

Koby Stevens - Inside mid
Jo Dare - running defender
James Craig - Ruck/key position
Bryon Sumner - Mid/forward
Jason Tutt - HBF

Hawthorn

Chris Luff - Key backman
Nicholas Winmar - Wing/forward
Tom Hill - key position/ruck
Jessie W Smith - HBF/mid

Melbourne

Tom Scully - Mid
Jack Trengove - Mid/forward
Aarron Black - FF
Nathan Vardy - Ruck/forward
Daniel Menzel - HBF/mid

North Melbourne

Ben Cunnington - mid/forward
Jessie Crichton - mid
Troy Taylor - HFF
David Astbury - key position
Marcus Davies - HBF/mid
Alex Carey - mid

Port Adelaide

John Butcher - Key position
Jake Melksham - mid
Andrew Moore - Utility

Richmond

Dustin Martin - Mid
Ben Griffiths - key position
Roland Ah Chee - Mid
Anthony Long - HBF
Derick Wanganeen - Mid/forward
Ayden Kennedy - third tall
Zack Ledin - Mid
Gerrick Weedon - medium forward

St Kilda

Jordan Gysberts - mid/forward
Sam Shaw - third tall forward/back

Sydney

Gary Rohan - HFF
Daniel Talia - tall defender/forward
Ryan Harwood - Utility

West Coast

Lewis Jetta -Wing/forward
Travis Colyer - mid
Sam Reid - KPD

Western Bulldogs

Brad Sheppard - HBF/mid
Callum Bartlett -mid
Josh Donaldson - key position
Guy O'Keefe/Malcolm Lynch redraft

i would rather gysberts over duncan, i like dunacn, espicially in the midfeild but gysberts uses the ball so well and would be angry if essndon pass on him, is ranked in my top 20 players in the draft.

would hope essendon would pick up christensen, gysberts or bartlett at 26 instead of Duncan. apart from that great draft.

P.S. i bet you 'alexlol92' will say bartlett to brisbane

Richmond

Dustin Martin - Mid
Ben Griffiths - key position
Roland Ah Chee - Mid would prefer Hartigan/Craig here
Anthony Long - HBF
Derick Wanganeen - Mid/forward
Ayden Kennedy - third tall
Zack Ledin - Mid
Gerrick Weedon - medium forward would prefer Temel/LukeMcDonald here or save the pick for Thorp in the PSD.
Not a bad draft from a Tigers point of view, although with the delisting/trading of a number of talls in Schulz, Pattison, Polak, Putt & Hughes I think we will target a few more talls through the draft. As such the changes I would make are above in red.

This would give us 10 young KPPs/3rd Talls that Dimma can develop over the next 12-24 months. With Post, Riewoldt, Rance, McGuane, Moore, Thursfield being joined by Griffiths, Kennedy & 2 of Hartigan/Craig/Temel/McDonald/Thorp I think we would be well set up for the next few years of compromised drafts where most of the top line talls will be snapped up by GC & WS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort mate, there's obviously been a lot of time and effort go in to it. :thumbsu:

Don't mean to nit pick too much, but Vardy will only go at #18 if he's best available. Last year every mock had Melbourne picking Roughead a round early because we were in such desperate need of a ruckman. With Jamar, Johnson, Meesen, Spencer and Martin there I think we'll be content to take best available.

Not a bad draft from a Tigers point of view, although with the delisting/trading of a number of talls in Schulz, Pattison, Polak, Putt & Hughes I think we will target a few more talls through the draft. As such the changes I would make are above in red.

This would give us 10 young KPPs/3rd Talls that Dimma can develop over the next 12-24 months. With Post, Riewoldt, Rance, McGuane, Moore, Thursfield being joined by Griffiths, Kennedy & 2 of Hartigan/Craig/Temel/McDonald/Thorp I think we would be well set up for the next few years of compromised drafts where most of the top line talls will be snapped up by GC & WS.

Hartigan instead of Ah Chee is the only possible one I would consider. The rest of those talls have a very slight chance of making it. The talls in this draft are terrible so I think it's very likely Richmond will look for smalls.

Great effort mate, there's obviously been a lot of time and effort go in to it. :thumbsu:

Don't mean to nit pick too much, but Vardy will only go at #18 if he's best available. Last year every mock had Melbourne picking Roughead a round early because we were in such desperate need of a ruckman. With Jamar, Johnson, Meesen, Spencer and Martin there I think we'll be content to take best available.

That's fair enough, I rate him as more a middle to early second round pick which isn't so bad.

I'm not sure why Melbourne didn't draft Roughead as he looks to be a gun. I think the dogs at the time also expected him to be going to Melbourne.

Hartigan instead of Ah Chee is the only possible one I would consider. The rest of those talls have a very slight chance of making it. The talls in this draft are terrible so I think it's very likely Richmond will look for smalls.
I agree with you, why go tall if the talls aren't very good, better off going best available IMO. But I might have gone with Thomas ahead of Wanganeen and McNeil ahead of Ledin, then save our last pick for PSD and hopfully snare Thorp. Overall great job champ.

that'll do nicely thanx....i've said on other threads that i have a peculiar feeling about Butcher, dunno why, all signs point towards Rohan..

Pretty good mate. In your summary you missed that Alex Carey goes to the roos aswell. Bit of a different perspective. I personally couldn't see Crichton going that early. I think the roos would pick up Gysberts, Bartlett or Christensen before him, but each to their own! Top job.

From an Essendon perspective, Lucas (10) Bastinac (24) and Gawn (33) would be great selections. However, I'm crossing my fingers for a Crichton slide to our pick 26. Watched him closely all year and I just love the way he attacks the contest. Reminds me a lot of Mark Harvey in that he's not the most naturally skilled or talented footballer, but just hard at the footy.

really good draft from all teams perspective.

Love Jetta and Colyer but Sam Reid maybe a bit too high.
Would have preferred T Taylor, bartlett or duncan with 23 but i can see your reasoning behind reid:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back