Thank god Michael Bowers is not our CEO

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.lions.com.au/portals/0/lions/newsletters/m091113.html

Can you believe this??

Don't think I've read a more patronising email, since the AFL told us that their relocation plan was going to ensure the preservation of the shinboner spirit. rofl.

Looks like he's following the Geoff Walsh school of thought; buy your membership and shutup!

i'd feel very pissed off if I was a Brisbane Lions/Fitzroy fan at this minute.

Disgusting message and it indicates to me that they are not interested in preserving the Fitzroy history or their supporters.

The Fitzroy people should stop buying Lions memberships because that is the only way this will hurt them.

By the way I think the new jumper is hideous, looks like a piece of apparel from the Disney World collection.

As I said in the relevant thread on the Brisbane board, I would support RoyLion (a champion bloke from what I can tell) and his ilk all the way if they were to take legal action. I would even throw a little bit of coin their way if it could help.

It wasn't so long ago that I was contemplating what the future would hold for me AFL-wise and I actually envisioned a group of us protesting the Gold Coast's decision in 2018 to redesign the jumper without blue and white stripes, or to lower the number of games played in Victoria to four or something. Not because I followed the 'club', but simply to ensure that some semblance of justice was being done to honour our legacy. That is, I imagined that that would be my only connection to AFL: holding the AFL to their promises for killing our club.

Good luck to RoyLion et al., and **** you to Searle and all then other scumbag stooges out there who put any cent in the dollar before the emotions and memories of thousands of people across the country who lost one of the dearest things in their life.

I like how they tried to pre-emptively cover their arses against legal action in the email, by showing a bunch of badges to prove that no specific fitzroy lions actually exists:rolleyes:

Bowers is effectively laughing at the FFC and saying they can't do anything to stop the logo change.

what a slap in the face to fitzory supporters:thumbsdown:

I am so happy that north stayed in melbourne because this would have happend to us .
North melbourne to the death. But i dont see this happening to us we have the people in place with the same love for this club as it supporters. I have family how were die hardz Fitzroy and lions supporters but not anymore over this . BL USERS

Yep Fitzroy are effectively dead, its just lip service to try and save face and keep a few memberships rolling in.

Wow... that is just a disgusting act. Spit in the face of your supporters why dont you.

I love how he tried to ignore the huge petition that happened by saying "its irrelevant most of them arent paid up members". Some people cant afford memberships and supporters should have just as much say in matters such as this as paid up members.

I'm ex fitzroy & I got to say that I don't think it's so bad. It's still got the same sort of theme to it. Of course it would be better for the vic supporters if the wore the ffc in Melbourne games, but as I am roos all the way now, it just leaves me confused when I see them running around in the old jumper.

Of course fitzroy are dead. Brisbane has nothing of the culture that was about the roys (and they have won a few games as well). And I think most ex roys supporters are not kidding themselves that Fitzroy is still around. At least they are chucking them a bone with the colours, the song & the mascot

At the end of the day, the Lions may have filled the void when Fitzroy left, and Brisbane are still a damn good & admirable side & easily my second best team. You have to love a bit of their arrogance & some of the characters that play for them too. A bit like the Roos of the 90s.

1st. Who gives a flying rat's clacker about fecking Brisbane? Not me. I'd hate to see them disappear but, but change their logo? Hardly the end of the world. Perhaps Roland Emmerich's next movie will be entitled "The Brisbane Lions, how they are reaming their loyal Fitzroy fans now?" Wow. I'd pay to see that. Not.

2nd. Like they say, never going to be anything but the Lions. Never going to revert to the Bears, never going to be anything but the Lions. More power (hopefully Sam) to them. So.

Q: What's the problem?

A: s**t graphic design. Big deal. Same problem that plagues our new logo. s**t. Graphic. Design.

3rd. Michael Voss is a ****ing flat out **** sucker, so who cares what happens to his club?

4th. Bring on the actual footy, so we can rub their noses into the turf

Geez..what are you guys on?
Fitzroy changed its logo from interlocking letters to the lion logo in 1977 and played out of the Junction Oval StKilda.
You know not everything is a conspiracy, and its these sorts of beat-ups that give us a bad reputation as scared backwatchers.
Weak excuse for an off season angry thread IMO.

Geez..what are you guys on?
Fitzroy changed its logo from interlocking letters to the lion logo in 1977 and played out of the Junction Oval StKilda.
You know not everything is a conspiracy, and its these sorts of beat-ups that give us a bad reputation as scared backwatchers.
Weak excuse for an off season angry thread IMO.
The FFC monogram was on the guernsey until the very finish in 1996.

There was a pre-season guernesy that had a lion on the front of it, which was hardly ever seen.

But I repeat, the FFC logo was on the front of the H & A strip until the very finish.

Do not talk about things that you know nothing about. :mad:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you read the merger agreement?
Of course he bloody well hasn't. Weighs into something he knows nothing about. :mad:

For me the 1996 guernsey colours with the lion emblem on, never ever looked like Fitzroy. The only time I have ever saw something resembling Fitzroy playing since 1996, has been when they played occasionally in the original pre-merger guernsey. Otherwise it was just another club.

Equally I have always believed that some Lions games should have been played in Brisbane in the old Bears jumper. The original Bears supporters lost something too, though not to the extent that us old Royboys did.

As you said fairdinkum, that is what we would have experienced had we bacame the Gold Coast Maggotts. The slow but steady decline/disappearance of what we all hold so dear at North Melbourne.

Typical soulless franchise filth.

I'll bet this bloke got his people skills from Noel Gordon.

They have not given a stuff about the Roys from day one. All they were interested in was Roy $$$$$$.

Typical soulless franchise filth.

I'll bet this bloke got his people skills from Noel Gordon.

They have not given a stuff about the Roys from day one. All they were interested in was Roy $$$$$$.

As I recall FFC was bankrupt, under investigation by ASIC for trading insolvent with a mega hundred thousand debt to Nauru...hardly a position of strength.
Brisbane won the merger bid over us which I was pretty disappointed about..good luck to them.(but I still think our Board was pretty amateurish in its brinkmanship negotiations)
Sorry, but it's always been my opinion that FFC was lucky to survive in any form.
This is a NMFC board..not a defacto FitzroyFC whinge and whine board.
My point is we have moved on..dwelling on what happened 15 years ago has no merit for us...take it to another board
Brisbane has the right to stay relevant and energetic.
I'm no sozzled myopic ex Fitzroy fan, so when I look at the jumper I see a big Lion on the front and FFC on the back.
Looks like Fitzroy to me.
Get over it....or just go to the footy during Heritage round if it worries you so much and get your fix of the interlocking letters.

As I recall FFC was bankrupt, under investigation by ASIC for trading insolvent with a mega hundred thousand debt to Nauru...hardly a position of strength.
Brisbane won the merger bid over us which I was pretty disappointed about..good luck to them.(but I still think our Board was pretty amateurish in its brinkmanship negotiations)
Sorry, but it's always been my opinion that FFC was lucky to survive in any form.This is a NMFC board..not a defacto FitzroyFC whinge and whine board.
My point is we have moved on..dwelling on what happened 15 years ago has no merit for us...take it to another board
I'm no sozzled myopic ex Fitzroy fan, so when I look at the jumper I see a big Lion on the front and FFC on the back.
Get over it....or just go to the footy during Heritage round if it worries you so much and get your fix of the interlocking letters
You are a disgrace Captain Bucket and in my view expressing comments like those about Fitzroy, on this board, deserves condemnation of the highest level.

You have no understanding whatsoever of the circumstances that occurred in 1996. Go and get yourself a copy of Dyson Hore-Lacy's book, "Fitzroy", which tells about how the so-called merger came about or Adam Muyt's book, "Maroon and Blue" and attempt to get an understanding of what it felt and still feels like to have been through the loss of Fitzroy.

There are many people who were Fitzroy supportere at the time of the takeover in 1996, and I am one of them, who now support North Melbourne. Your comments hurt us doubly hard.

But for the grace of God, or should I say JB, RJ, Roosistence, WANM, the vast majority of North BigFooty people and many other staunch Keep North at North people, our club could have been in the same situation.

But why am I surprised at your attitude when I view your location and your join date. :confused:

Sorry, but it's always been my opinion that FFC was lucky to survive in any form.
Get over it....or just go to the footy during Heritage round if it worries you so much and get your fix of the interlocking letters.

Astounding post given the fact we were a bees dick away from becoming the same organisation getting paid lip service to our heritage.

You're right in saying that this is the NMFC board, but we have a number of ex_Lions here who are now passionate Blue & White and I'm guessing they chose our club because they could identify with us.

Anyway on topic Bowers looks like a tool of the highest order.

Do yourself a favour you flea bitten know nothing.....get a copy of the book titled "Fitzroy" written by Dyson Hore Lacey. Dyson is a QC and has never had the details of the book challenged because it is all true, as opposed to the s**t you are submitting on this thread.

Once you have read it (if you can read) and got your facts straight then you can open your trap. Otherwise you are just talking s**t and trying to troll your own board. D!ckhead.

Wow. Kinda surprised your post hasn't collapsed in on itself, Captain. There's more holes in there than actual words.

Funny. Because, with the minor exception of one boorish North administrator, that's a contention that is completely at odds with my mother-in-law's take on it.

Before you scoff, I guess I should just point out that my mother-in-law was the vice chair of the Fitzroy Football Club at the time of their demise. She was privy to all negotiations with the North Melbourne Football Club, and I know for a fact that she would call "bullshit" on your line of thinking.

I also know for a fact that Dyson et al share her views on this subject.

Simply put, you couldn't be further off the mark.

So ?

Obviously, that is neither here nor there, and has little bearing on actual events.

Fact - since Fitzroy's demise, we have gained a sizeable number of supporters/members in the fallout. And we probably continue to do so. (In fact, I recall that a bloke who posts on the Fitzroy board joined up as a North member this season.) As a club who desperately needs all the support it can get, this has been a nice bonus for us.

Acknowledging that fact, and likewise acknowledging where these people came from, is important. Moreover, it shows a lot more class than anything you've had to say here.

You're a Mod now ?

Might I just echo the words of a few previous posters in saying that as a loyal supporter of a club who recently went perilously close to being relocated (read: killed off), I find that type of attitude to be pretty ordinary. Few footy fans can sympathise/empathise better with the absolute heartache they went through in losing their club.

Words fail me.

Thankfully, the wrongness in that pretty much speaks for itself.

And that.

Wow. Kinda surprised your post hasn't collapsed in on itself, Captain. There's more holes in there than actual words.

Funny. Because, with the minor exception of one boorish North administrator, that's a contention that is completely at odds with my mother-in-law's take on it.

Before you scoff, I guess I should just point out that my mother-in-law was the vice chair of the Fitzroy Football Club at the time of their demise. She was privy to all negotiations with the North Melbourne Football Club, and I know for a fact that she would call "bullshit" on your line of thinking.

I also know for a fact that Dyson et al share her views on this subject.

Simply put, you couldn't be further off the mark.

So ?

Obviously, that is neither here nor there, and has little bearing on actual events.

Fact - since Fitzroy's demise, we have gained a sizeable number of supporters/members in the fallout. And we probably continue to do so. (In fact, I recall that a bloke who posts on the Fitzroy board joined up as a North member this season.) As a club who desperately needs all the support it can get, this has been a nice bonus for us.

Acknowledging that fact, and likewise acknowledging where these people came from, is important. Moreover, it shows a lot more class than anything you've had to say here.

You're a Mod now ?

Might I just echo the words of a few previous posters in saying that as a loyal supporter of a club who recently went perilously close to being relocated (read: killed off), I find that type of attitude to be pretty ordinary. Few footy fans can sympathise/empathise better with the absolute heartache they went through in losing their club.

Words fail me.

Thankfully, the wrongness in that pretty much speaks for itself.

And that.
Great, classy post TOD.

It is I think fair to say that it is a reflection of how your mother-in-law conducted herself during those desperate years at Fitzroy.

I am not sure if I have said this before but TOD's mother-in-law is the true First Lady of Football , not that other witch from the Age, who seems more easily related to Captain Bucket and his attitudes.

Easy decision to make Horace.........every year I try to find reasons to follow Brisbane and every year I find more reasons not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back