Society/Culture The whole Sydney Mardi-Gra issue.....

Remove this Banner Ad

KevinCat07

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Does anyone find it strange that propagandists preach homosexuality as not a choice, yet they preach "Gay Pride?". If it wasn't a born thing it seems a bit hypocritical to say they have Pride in it. Seems more logical that they would be proud if they had made a choice they perceive as positive.

So if it is Biological, why do we condemn people for saying they are proud of being White/Black etc? Or of being heterosexual? Can you imagine the uproar?

Double standards I think.

:spade::spade::spade:

People are born gay and have pride marches because of the s**t they get from conservative christians etc that they're doing something wrong.

Oh dear. Kevin is back to have another crack at those evil pooooooftaaars!!:rolleyes:
Just go to the Mardi Gras Kev and enjoy the spectacle. I promise that they won't try and convert you.

Edit: Was it on last night? Damn!

Does anyone find it strange that propagandists preach homosexuality as not a choice, yet they preach "Gay Pride?"

Not really. To me, it's all about taking pride and being accepting of the person that you are, rather than denying it and (potentially) causing harm to yourself and the ones around you.

I didn't choose to be born in Australia, it just happened. Can I not take pride in my country?

If it wasn't a born thing it seems a bit hypocritical to say they have Pride in it. Seems more logical that they would be proud if they had made a choice they perceive as positive.

Why would anyone choose to be gay, what with all the stigma that comes attached with it? Why can't gay people feel pride in something that, for many people, is out of their control? What is wrong with taking pride in who you are as a person?

So if it is Biological, why do we condemn people for saying they are proud of being White/Black etc? Or of being heterosexual? Can you imagine the uproar?

I think a lot of that depends on context. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm proud to be an Australian. Harmless statement here on a forum. However, if I made that statement at the Cronulla riots, I would ,most likely, be condemned as a racist.

EDIT: Can't believe I actually took the time to write out a response to that.

Does anyone find it strange that propagandists preach homosexuality as not a choice, yet they preach "Gay Pride?". If it wasn't a born thing it seems a bit hypocritical to say they have Pride in it. Seems more logical that they would be proud if they had made a choice they perceive as positive.

Had a good night last night? What float were you on?

Why would anyone choose to be gay, what with all the stigma that comes attached with it? Why can't gay people feel pride in something that, for many people, is out of their control? What is wrong with taking pride in who you are as a person?

Absolutely. Attitudes like Kevin07's always alert my gaydar, for the reason that if they believe homosexuality is a choice then they must CHOOSE to be straight.

Don't fight it kev, there's nothing wrong with homosexuality but always use a condom.

• Banned
Absolutely. Attitudes like Kevin07's always alert my gaydar, for the reason that if they believe homosexuality is a choice then they must CHOOSE to be straight.

Don't fight it kev, there's nothing wrong with homosexuality but always use a condom.

*Yawn* Another tired old cliche.

We must all be paedophiles too if we critic them? Nazis, too yeah?

*Yawn* Another tired old cliche.

We must all be paedophiles too if we critic them? Nazis, too yeah?

I didn't say you were gay for critiquing them.

Simple really, if you believe that people choose to be gay then choosing to be gay is something you could do if you wanted to. Do you choose to be straight? or are you straight?

Besides, we all know each other's views regarding choice or not. I just find it strange how you can be "Poud" of your sexuality. Would have thought it would be reserved more for what you actually acheive.

I didn't say you were gay for critiquing them.

Simple really, if you believe that people choose to be gay then choosing to be gay is something you could do if you wanted to. Do you choose to be straight? or are you straight?

I don't believe people choose to be straight. I believe we are naturally Straight and some people are abused as Children or want attention so they make some questionable choices.

Besides, we all know each other's views regarding choice or not. I just find it strange how you can be "Poud" of your sexuality. Would have thought it would be reserved more for what you actually acheive.

meh, people feel pride sitting on their couch watching someone win a gold medal for their country.

Pride is hardly reserved for personal achievements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meh, people feel pride sitting on their couch watching someone win a gold medal for their country.

Pride is hardly reserved for personal achievements.

Well, I'm not sure I believe that they are proud of how far they have come as a minority, but moreso pride of the sexuality itself.

Some of them are fine because they don't behave like those people in the parade do, but I have had friends attacked by them and I disagree with that lifestyle.

LOL.
I"d love to see the comparitive statistics showing the amount of times Christianity attacks Homosexuality and vice versa.

I'm damn sure that The Christian attacks would win by the length of the Flemington straight.

I don't believe people choose to be straight. I believe we are naturally Straight and some people are abused as Children or want attention so they make some questionable choices.

:eek: Well aren't you one big cliché?

How noble of them.

That good old Christian ethic of "Live and let live" shines through again.:thumbsu:

Christians take pride in their faith through services at church...maybe we should protest outside Kevs church?

But KC, I have also come across gays who say that their sexuality is a choice and find it demeaning to them to suggest that they are the victims of some sort of biological determinism. For them it is a choice.

As to the charge of hypocrisy, I would suggest that within the Gay community there are a variety of opinions. I suspect that the Gay community is no more monolithic in it's ideas than any other community (i.e the Christian Church).

On the same logic, would you make Australia Day only for migrants? It would be hypocritical for the rest of us to say we're proud to be Australian- it's not like we made a choice to be born here.

But KC, I have also come across gays who say that their sexuality is a choice and find it demeaning to them to suggest that they are the victims of some sort of biological determinism. For them it is a choice.

As to the charge of hypocrisy, I would suggest that within the Gay community there are a variety of opinions. I suspect that the Gay community is no more monolithic in it's ideas than any other community (i.e the Christian Church).

Meh, kc thinks everyone is really straight, just gay people are gay because they want to be controversial or because they're abused or some irrelevant fluff.

I'd wonder how well kc would react if I and my fellow males had a "man pride day" where we ate snags, drunk beer, talked about footy and celebrated our male culture and all the great things males have done. On his logic, he'd be in a big stink for someone celebrating something they couldn't choose. I'm guessing kc wouldn't, because this is just an excuse to whine about gays, but he should, considering he has a big thing about people celebrating things they had no choice about (which would include me not being able to celebrate me being a male, white and amongst other things as fhh said - Australian!)

He's unoystrayan he is!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back