Ratten: Targetting a KP Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Where was this said? If anything I think we're more than covered in the back half unless Ratten has had some brainwave after seeing Bower kick a goal this weekend.

Hopefully smoke and mirrors to attract a KPF without other clubs turning up the heat on us!

In before people blasting you for not using the rumour thread, too!

Bock will be 28 come 2011 footy season.

Isn't Austin supposed to be our next KP back?

Been injured most of the year and has only been back in the VFL for about a month. I think he will make it, has all the tools to be a successful key defender.

i heard Waite was pretty good.

as a forward you get maybe 6 good games out of him

as CHB you get 20 good games out of him.

That's your opinion. Waitey is a great forward so I'm not sure how you think he'll only play 6 good games a year.

I don't think we need another defender, especially with White to come back who I think will add alot to our defense. We have a number of options down back but are lacking in another marking goal kicker.

If we were looking for a defender I'd look at Trengove from the Power. A similar offer as the one BIB suggested would be enough to do it if he wanted to come home. Kane Lucas lives with his parents IIRC.

He can play as a back up ruckman, defender and has shown ability as a forward. I would prefer a long term option rather than someone like Bock who is ageing and struggled with injury this year.

If we were looking for a defender I'd look at Trengove from the Power. A similar offer as the one BIB suggested would be enough to do it if he wanted to come home. Kane Lucas lives with his parents IIRC.

He can play as a back up ruckman, defender and has shown ability as a forward.
Trengove would be a good pickup, but I doubt that they'll a young tall go.

Can play a KPP at either end or ruck like Leigh Brown, but might actually be a good player and not a hack who acts like an enforcer.

Trengove's versatility would be a plus with Waite, Austin and even Henderson able to be moved around.

not keen on bock at all, too old and we would make him look shit with the style of footy we play as it does not support our back line. Looks like we don't rate Austin at all. Fair enough though. We will be doing pretty well to find a decen one though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Thornton's form slump, and the injuries to Austin and Bower, plus the need to use Waite up forward, it makes sense to get another quality KP defender from somewhere. Tarrant's too old though. Bock's 28. Not sure who else. Might be best to just persist with the development of Austin, and focus on the draft/rookie selections some more.

:)

I think White will be experimented with up forward.

He was, in my opinion, soundly beaten twice in his first couple of games on Podsiadly and Burton and didn't show great form down back. I really think there's a good number of players that can play down there, between Jamison, Austin, Bower and Walker there's a decent young core to build a good rebounding defence.

Just feels like the tall forward situation needs to be rectified as soon as possible to really take 'the next step'.

Trengove would be a good pickup, but I doubt that they'll a young tall go.

Can play a KPP at either end or ruck like Leigh Brown, but might actually be a good player and not a hack who acts like an enforcer.

Trengove's versatility would be a plus with Waite, Austin and even Henderson able to be moved around.

Exactly, his versatility would be a massive plus. I would look at a Jacobs combo deal to nab him, probably adding a pick. I would still like 4 competant ruckman on our listso having Trengove who can move into the ruck if required would be massive for us.

I'd rather keep the four rucks thanks. Tarrant's way too old, and even Bock would be 28 before he could pull on a Carlton jumper. Do not want.

Think harder Ratts.
We need players like that but not over 25 please Ratten.

We hope so but basically next year is make or break for him you would think.It was pretty much a break or make this year check the Carlton Football site.

Athletic key defender who showed promising signs in 2009. Forced his way into the Blues’ line-up in round seven and competed well against some of the bigger forwards, providing solid support for Bret Thornton and Paul Bower. Out of contract at the end of this year, so 2010 shapes as a crucial season.

Has not played a game this year and that has gone backwards if that is the case. I still keep him is still young.2011 will be his last chance to make waves.

Not doubting the merits of the thread as it makes for some interesting discussion, but where exactly in the media did Ratts say that we will be targetting a key position defender?

:confused:

SEN yesterday morning. Didn't say it quite that explicitly, but it came across that a big-bodied defender is our no.1 want, and we will be well and truly after one.

I don't think we need another defender, especially with White to come back who I think will add alot to our defense. We have a number of options down back but are lacking in another marking goal kicker.

He can play as a back up ruckman, defender and has shown ability as a forward. I would prefer a long term option rather than someone like Bock who is ageing and struggled with injury this year.
We need more good tall defenders we get a hiding with good sides with our midfield type defenders.Jamison is average at best while Bower can't do it all.Thornton gone backwards for now and Austin looks more like the $6 dollar man then $6 million for now.

sounds promising, definitely one area we need to fix up. While you're at it Ratts, try for a KP forward too. :)
All can be done with trades of Carrazoo,Walker,Simpson,Russell,Ruckmen players under 27 etc.I'm just putting some names up doesn't mean i would trade them. Too late for Scotland,Wiggins etc over that age to get something descent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back