Phantom Draft Snoops Annual Mock Draft..

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Snoops Annual Mock Draft

You will have to excuse me it's a bit long but I actually really enjoyed this years because it is so open.

Few observations;

• I have tended to pick on needs / best available (if no obvious need then best available).
• Its a very even draft after #30. Deliberately haven’t looked at other mocks so will be keen to see how similar mine is or more likely isn’t.
• Rookie Draft will have plenty of talent as the 30 odd unlucky players have listed could easily be in the National Draft.
• Not a huge amount of ‘x factor’ players which stand out as ‘pick me I could be anything'.
• Calder, Oakleigh are the dominant sources along with the WAFL and VFL.
• Pool out of SA is as good as any year I can remember. Arguably have 5 of the top 12-14
• I am worried about Prestia - think he may go as high as #8, and Lycett. Mate of mine who is a Demon fan convinced me they will go tall fwd......I think Lycett then a tall fwd......he won.

Enjoy!

NATIONAL DRAFT

GOLD COAST NT ZONE SELECTIONS:
1. Steven May
2. Liam Patrick
3. Zephi Skinner

GOLD COAST QLD ZONE SELECTIONS1. Joel Wilkinson
2. Tom Hickey
3. Zac Smith
4. Rory Thompson
5. Rex Liddy

# Note: If Hickey does not get preselected by the Suns then he will go top 40. Outside of Day and Lycett he is the best ruck in the draft. Late season results were awesome and tested wonderfully. Nice hands, beaut hand balling skill, nice enough kick and very mobile.

Selection # 1 (GOLD COAST)
David Swallow – Gold Coast VFL / 186cm / 83kg

Selection # 2 (GOLD COAST)
Sam Day – Sturt /196cm / 90kg

Selection # 3 (GOLD COAST)
Harley Bennell – Peel / 184cm / 70kg

Selection # 4 (WEST COAST)
Jared Polec – Woodville / 188cm / 77kg

Profile : I didn’t initially rate this bloke that highly but as the year has gone on I have just become increasingly impressed with this kid. Was All Australian after a super Champs where his balance (great ability to stay on his feet in a contest) and penetrating left foot really stood out. Nice size and a bit like a few others in that he seems to have a bit more time than most. Adept at winning his own footy and spreading from the contest pretty quickly into space with his pace. Definitely someone you want the ball to be in the hands of when entering the fwd 50 as he excels at hitting targets. Finished off the year playing some really good senior SANFL footy.
Why Eagles: Suspect most if not all others (purposefully haven’t read any of the others yet) have Gaff here and he is the favourite. Eagles have inside mids and Polec is the best outside mid in the Draft who delivers them skill and pace. Polec is underrated on BF and and offers all that the Eagles need and is ready to go.
Similar to: Scott Pendlebury / Clinton Young
Roughie: Andrew Gaff odds on for this selection but I like Polec more. A real left fielder might be Scott Lycett insomuch as they see him working well with Nat and feeding an already impressive bunch of young mids.....and they can take a good mid later as you could argue there is not that much that seperates the mids in the top 30.
Draft Range: 4-7.

Selection # 5 (BRISBANE LIONS)
Dyson Heppell – Gippsland/ 187cm / 79kg

Profile : What Rolls Royce was to car manufacturing this kid is to a HBF. He is all class and has an enormous amount of upside in him. Dominated TAC this year and had a fantastic championship (MVP and AA selection) to boot. Played mostly off a HBF during the year but has been pushed up to the midfield more recently. Has really nice hands as evidenced by Lloydy’s test at DC, carriers the ball through traffic well and has good pace. Usually finishes with his left foot which has got missile like precision on it. Will compete well overhead and whilst he looks a HB’er to start a wing or midfield role isn’t out of the question in a few years time. For those looking for a comparison I would suggest he is a left foot version of Heath Shaw. Just has that ability to read the play that split second quicker and then really hurt on the offensive.......arrrgghhhh please land at Lexus!
Why Lions: Really debated Gaff or Heppell and I landed on Heppell because I think they have Rich who plays that Gaff role. Heppell gives them a bit more class and midfield rotation. Watch out for Lynch.
Similar to: Bryce Gibbs
Roughie: Tom Lynch is in the frame of the Lions recruiters for sure. If Polec was passed at #4 they should hit him
Draft Range: 4-8

Selection # 6 (RICHMOND)
Andrew Gaff – Oakleigh / 183cm / 78kg

Profile : Wonderful player who played champs the last 2 years and performed exceptionally well as he did at the DC where his results were amongst the best in many categories. Racks up the possessions and tend to use it very well (champs efficiency was a whopping 79%) particularly off HB where he likes to set the play up. Also very adept at centre clearances and reminds of Power & Dal Santo in how he can hurt without a heap of touches. Super in traffic, great first step and happy knack of finding himself in space which allows him to use his left foot with good precision. Also good at the little things – chases / tackles etc so cant fault him on that and has obvious leadership qualities as well. If there is a knock on Gaff it is that there is a view he doesn’t hurt offensively. In saying that he shown in a number of games he is capable so maybe it’s just the role he plays and what he is asked to do.
Why Richmond: Yes he is very smilar to Cotchin but who cares. Super talent and will ensure a quality midfield for Richmond in 2-3 years time. Between Martin, Cotchin and Gaff Richmond’s ability to win ball from stoppages is going to be awesome. They only issue is that maybe an outside mid would be better or a ruckmen to ensure they get fed the ball as much as they deserve.
Similar to: Luke Power / Nick Dal Santo
Roughie: Highly likely Polec is here so he may be the one. Daniel Gorringe or Tom Lynch
Draft Range: 4 – 10

Selection # 7 (GOLD COAST SUNS)
Sean Atley – Murray Bushies / 187cm / 82kg

Profile : Very highly rated junior for some time now and will be in the top ten. Has super endurance and had a very good year at the Bushies. Hard running HBF type who often plays in the midfield rotation as well. Very clean hands and more than adept at winning his own footy and departing the contest at pace. Good by hand and foot but it is his penetrating kick which I think is his big standout feature. No knocks on this kid.....none at all!
Why Richmond: I just think he is McKenna’s style of player. Can play in and out and carry the footy when required.
Similar to: Heath Shaw / Damian Hardwick
Roughie: Should hit Tom Lynch as they can afford the punt on this kid whereas others may be cannot.
Draft Range: 5 - 12

Selection # 8 (ESSENDON)
Josh Caddy – Northern Knights/ 186cm / 81kg

Profile : Just love this bloke. Saw a bit of him this year and every time just impressed me with the way he goes about his footy – tough, fearless and effective! Doesnt present immediately as a great athlete but his testing results were bloody awesome.....particularly his pace, agility and endurance results. Has a terrific sense of reading a contest and winning and clearing the ball. Can also be thrown around the ground a bit and think he will probably start more as a HBF who will push up into the midfield group. Terrific height for a midfielder and in addition to his clearance work his skills are very good, he can take a contested mark and is a goal kicking mid which always provides that bit extra attraction. This kid will go high. Performances and his testingbhave been terrific.
Why Essendon: Screaming out for some quality mids and frankly would be happy if any of the above fell through. Been rumours they love Caddy and he is a great fit. Nice fit with Melksham in years to come!
Similar to: Michael Voss
Roughie: Have good mail Prestia could go here. Lynch could be the one.
Draft Range: Great season, Great Champs, Great DC....cannot see him lasting long

Selection # 9 (GOLD COAST SUNS)
Daniel Gorringe – Norwood / 199cm / 86kg

Profile : I think most people know enought about Gorringe. Super talent, terrific year and was very impressive through the champs. Definately someone that will go top 10 and could go as high as 5 for mine. Been a part of the AIS squad so a lot of development has gone into him and you can tell that he does a lot of things you want out of your ruckmen. Got a nice leap and will give him mids in years to come first use of the footy. Your modern day ruck needs to be a link player and there is no doubt Gorringe could be that as he has good good hands for a big fella and nice hand and foot skills. Can go fwd as well and take a grab so offers a few different choices. Not sure how long before he is AFL ready but shouldn’t take long for him to grab his chance.
Why Gold Coast: Best available
Similar to: Dean Cox
Draft Range: 5-15

Selection # 10 (GOLD COAST SUNS)
Tom Lynch – Dandenong Stingrays / 196cm / 86kg

Profile : Tall forward prospect who doesn’t get here on results but rather on potential. Didn’t play with the Stingrays last year and was coaxed down to play by Hallahan earlier this year. Played 3 games pre Champs and was selected for the Country Side. It was the first time I had seen him play and I was really taken in with how he moves and the potential he offers. Terrificly athletic (albeit some of his test results were mixed) and comes from a basketball background. The upside in the kid is enormous because he shows that he can do most of the things you would want in a tall fwd given the way the game is played today. He moves very well for a kid his size allowing him to play a few different roles and hence will be hard to match up, he will chase and tackle and seemingly has a terrific motor - his beep was almost midfield like. Skills are good and has a capacity to rack up a number of touches (i think Hyde said he could play in the middle if they needed him to). Had a terrific game against QLD in the champs where he took some really strong marks and kicked a few goals in the second half. Notwithstanding people might say it was just QLD, from memory he kicked them on Crawford which was no mean feat as he had a really good champs and took a few very good scalps. Has come back from champs and been pretty consistent albeit yet to really dominate a game although reportedly had a terrific game in Wk 1 finals vs Oakleigh on Gordon and Otten. Notwithstanding, there is a bit of x factor in this kid and he is well worth a first rounder.
Why Gold Coast: Suns will take best available but he also suits as a potetial KPF
Similar to: Jarrad Waite / Scott Lucas
Draft Range: 7 - 15

Selection # 11 (GOLD COAST SUNS)
Patrick McCarthy – Glenelg / 194cm / 84kg

Profile : Was in the mix to go north as a Suns player but didn’t make the cut i don’t think (he may have knocked them back – cant remember). Played more HB at the champs where he was AA but will develop into a terrific CHB for mine. Outstanding athlete who moves really smoothly and can run off his man at will to pick a possession and hurt offensively. Also has a good leap on him and is exactly the sort of a player who in a few years could go with a Riewoldt or a Franklin who so many clubs struggle to get a match up for.
Why Gold Coast: I probably have him a bit higher than others but I look at where guys like Frawley / Reid etc went and think he has that capability as well. Also the Suns haven’t got a heap of young key defenders so it’s a logical choice.
Similar to: James Frawley / Jarrad Waite
Draft Range: 10 – 20

Selection # 12 (MELBOURNE)
Jack Darling – West Perth /190cm / 86kg

Profile : Kid is an exceptional talent and has dominated junior footy ranks for a long time...but he has some issues and it will come down to a club believing they can manage him. Many will remember he was a dominant bottom age player at last year’s champs where he was named AA and even then was regarded as a top 5 pick this year. Big question is whether a KPF or not. For me probably more in the Aaron Hamill mould as he isn’t quite tall enough to play key position (did grown last year though so may still finish at a 193cm tall in the Chris Dawes mould. Either way he is going to cause some serious headaches for the. Great contested mark who is very agile (spent time in midfield at champs), nice skills, gives you 2nd and 3rd efforts, skills are good and leads by example on the field......in short the kid is a super talent but I suspect his interviews will be fairly critical to where he lands as he has had some issues. I will bet he will become very John Brown like as the years go on.
Why Melbourne: Probably the hardest pick so far because I really rate Scott Lycett and Dees could use him. They missed on Nat but this guy (in my view only)is probably better. However, I just think Melbourne needs a strong and physically imposing presence in that fwd line to work with Watts (and hopefully Fitzpatrick) in years to come. Cook, Mitchell and Barden were also considerations and they would probably be there at the next selection if Melbourne wanted to go Lycett now, tall fwd at next pick and then get some mids – probably a very sensible approach as they have some good mids in Tapscott, Gysberts, Strauss and Blease to come into that side.
Similar to: Aaron Hamill / John Brown/ Chris Dawes
Draft Range: 4-15.
Roughie: Geez I wanted to pick Scott Lycett here.

Selection # 13 (GOLD COAST)
Billie Smedts – Geelong Falcons / 188cm / 78kg

Profile : Amazingly someone who hasn’t been talked about that much but a kid I have pretty high on the list. Is one of those players who is the ideal height for a mid and who pretty much ticks every box. Mostly plays HB but can go into the middle and fwd as well. Very athletic and I think was the best or at least one of the best in the agility stakes. Also has good pace, clean hands, able to take a contested mark, kicks nicely off both sides and just presents as someone who could play all over the park. Some of his footy at the champs was really impressive (particularly some of his defensive pressure and attack on the footy) and he was definitely one who caught my eye with some of his ball use off HBF.
Why Gold Coast: Was going to go Lycett as he is next best but they have a heap of talls and need someone like Billie a bit more.
Similar to: Heath Shaw.
Draft Range: 10-20

Selection # 14 (ADELAIDE)
Brodie Smith – Woodville / 189cm / 80kg

Profile : Another one of those mids who is likely to go pretty early because he has that wonderful height, running capacity and skill level you are looking for in your midfielders. Played in the mids at Champs but has been playing defence in the SANFL. Was close to best player at champs but missed game vs NT. Powerful kick which is pretty highly rated these days and in a game where is trending back to kicking skills it gives him great currency. Also able to repeatedly win his own ball and generate clearances to his side’s advantage. Only knock is his pace but he makes up for it in endurance.
Why Crows: Crows have indicated they would prefer a gun onballer and Smith is exactly that
Similar to: Jack Trengove
Roughie: Would they pass up Scott Lycett though?

Selection # 15 (GEELONG)
Kieran Harper – Eastern Ranges / 187cm /80 kg

Profile : Other than Bennell nobody in this draft has more x factor. He is a huge talent. Many will have only seen his game on BF where he kicked 3 or 4 pretty impressive goals and to be fair that was his best game all year. He is a bit like Dale Thomas or more recently someone like Sam Blease (who I was also a big fan of) insomuch as he comes in with good potential but extremely patchy form which can be put down to a couple of injuries which have curtailed his fitness base. He is a super size (6ft) and has a great leap (4th at the DC) so going to be hard for the opposition in a 1:1. Also blessed with terrific pace (his first few steps are like lightning) and really clean hands. Makes that quick transition from hand to foot which so many clever fwds have as a signature. Also has a really good ability to read the play and make smart decisions. Executes well both sides and if can get consistent and injury free will be a really exciting prospect either up fwd or in the middle. The knock on him is consistency and his injuries. Also needs to develop his body a bit but and staybaway from the injuries.
Why Geelong: Require an injection of pace and class. Have a terrific list and can probably take a punt on this kid who has a lot of potential but formline is up and down. Probably not the next best player but again just think this is a bloke who the Cats could fall in love with.
Similar to: Dale Thomas
Draft Range: 12 - 25
Roughie: could very easily take either Watson or McCarthy if still available as want big backs. Dion Prestia a strong chance, Billie Smedts would be a chance and Jayden Pitt could be as well.

Selection # 16 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Jayden Pitt – Oakleigh / 187cm / 70kg

Profile : I hate these blokes........results to date good but potential massive. Where do you place them? Personally I think you have to place Pitt pretty high. Pitt wasn’t really on the radar at the start of the year but his champs were terrific. One of those kids a bit like Pendlebury who just seems to read the play so well and have more time than anyone else around him. Very light and his aerobic capacity allows him the ability to find space and select the right options with his beautiful skills. Also has the ability to push fwd and kick goals, so is going to be someone that attracts a heap of interest. All class! What is the knock? Body seems to get a few injuries so could slide a bit further!
Why Port: I thought about an inside mid here but preferred to take a quality ball user and then go for an inside mid later. I also think between Rodan, Salopek, Boak and Banner they have players who can win the footy in the middle. Getting some more quality outside players to help Pearce, Pittard etc made more sense to me.
Similar to: Scott Pendlebury
Draft Range: 10 - 30
Roughie: Dion Prestia....ala Rodan!

Selection # 17 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Lucas Cook – North Ballarat /194cm / 82kg

Profile : AIS graduate who has been on the radar all year but it was the performance vs Metro in the Champs which will have scouts salivating. Kicked 5 goals and showed that he can be a potential match turner and has a bit of x factor. Also shown an ability to play behind the ball as well so offers some versatility for prospective clubs. Seems to read the play pretty well and leads to good spots, importantly he loves to play in front and lead at the ball which I always like in fwds. Gives an effort when the ball hits the ground and is pretty good for a bloke his height when the ball is on the ground. Finishes it all off by executing pretty well (one of the best performed at DC kicking test) and ultimately that is what he is going to be paid to do so a pretty good package for clubs to work with. Body will need some filling out and you would be well advised to leave him to it for a couple of years and judge then.
Why North Melbourne: I think the prevailing view amongst North fans is a quality key fwd albeit Hansen starting to show some form and Petrie as well potentially gives them a bit of height and ammo up front. Cook is a great fit because he can play fwd and back and so gives North a heap of flexibility as their young list evolves.
Similar to: Jack Watts
Roughie: Kieran Harper

Selection # 18 (CARLTON)
Matthew Watson – Calder / 193cm / 91kg

Profile : Terrific player who isn’t dissimilar to Hurley but probably doesn’t have the pace and acceleration Hurley does. Plays as a KPB and reads the game really well. Has a weapon in that left boot and setting play up from the back half. Was waiting to see his results because I thought he might slide as his pace and closing speed sometimes don’t look great but his results were better than expected.
Why Carlton: These blokes definitely need a key back and the beauty of Watson is that he can potentially go in sooner than later. Real skill is reading the play and setting the counter attack up. Hawks will be hoping he falls I suspect!
Similar to: Taller Shane Morwood for those that remember him.....bit of class, effortless and nice kick but just not quick.
Draft Range: 15 - 40
Roughie: Wonder if they would take Darling if still here if he was available.

Selection # 19 (HAWTHORN)
Jed Lamb – Gippsland Power / 181cm / 78kg

Profile : Will appeal to many draft watchers and I suspect recruiters because offers that precious uncoachable commodity.....x factor! Had a super year and presented himself really well at the Champs where his best was on display. Played mostly forward and has that ability like Stevie J to do the mercurial things. Can also go into the middle and hurt as he showed for Gippy later in the year. Terrific core strength and is difficult to beat 1:1. He is a one touch player and a super kick(circa 90% efficiency in the Buckley kicking test) ... particularly lethal in front of goals (I haven’t checked but I think he finished with 40 odd goals this year and 45-50 last year). Other than that he has really good hands, shows a good lashing of dash and tends to make really good decisions in how sets up play, where he leads to etc.
Why Hawks: Cut Peterson, Stokes and Hooper, couldn’t get Hill done but alas Lamb is better and should go straight in given the quality around him.
Similar to:
Draft Range: 15 - 30
Roughie: Would suspect they are keen on Watson but if he ain't there then Pitt would be a chance here and has probably slipped more than he should. Dion Prestia would be another around this range. Also if Harper fell (and he could well do) would be a near lock.

Selection # 20 (FREMANTLE)
Reece Conca – Perth /184cm / 76kg

Profile : Really like this kid but a bit unsure where he lands principally because he doesn’t have a heap of standout features. Notwithstanding, you have a kid that has had a super Colts year and has played some really good state league footy (5 games incl a BOG vs Claremont). Backed that all up with a series of good performances at the Champs where he averaged 18-20 touches at a whopping 80% efficiency and hence I think will go higher than most think. Would describe him just as a very smart footy player who can play anywhere over the park. Good overhead, skills better than what you probably think but it’s how he finds space, the second efforts, chasing and tackling which mark him as a determined young footballer who will definitely go pretty well with his AFL career. The knock I think is these blokes often go a bit later because there is no obvious x factor but plenty of his type have proven recruiters wrong over last few years .FWIW – this kid is no dill either as he is doing a double degree (phys and commerce)!
Why Fremantle: Was thinking of Mitchell but just thought an inside mid of quality is a real need and I suspect they are keen on one of the three WA talls later anyway.
Similar to: I see a bit of Jim Kelly
Draft Range: 12 - 30
Roughie: Luke Mitchell

Selection # 21 (SYDNEY SWANS)
Mitch Hallahan – Dandenong / 182cm /77 kg

Profile : One of my most favoured players in this draft and they tend to be the blokes I over rate the most to be honest. Mitch is just your outstanding inside midfielder who will play taller than he looks. Courage in spades and just an unwavering willingness to do everything he can to win the footy. Wonderfully clean hands and skills are good but probably not in the elite class. In saying that he has a very penetrating right foot and also has that ability to weight and position his kicks to advantage. Very good tackler and has terrific endurance which should shine through at testing. The downside to Mitch is a lack of pace.
Why Swans: Again traded really cleverly and with Everitt filling a key back role, plenty of good young fwds and some nice outside mids from last years draft then a midfield ball winner seems the right way to go.
Similar to: Matt Boyd
Draft Range: 10 - 35
Roughie: Reece Conca is someone they have been into so would not surprise.

Selection # 22 (WESTERN BULLDOGS)
Mitch Wallis – Calder Cannons F/S

Selection # 23 (GEELONG)
Luke Parker – Dandenong Stingrays / 182cm / 82kg

Profile : Part of the outstanding Rays midfield group this year and a player a lot of clubs will want having seen the type of footy required for modern day finals footy. Very much like Lenny Hayes or Scotty Burns for mine. Hard runner, excels at clearances, tough, uncompromising, wins his own footy and just a bloke I suspect just wills himself and his teammates to victory. Has the bonus of being a midfielder who can also go fwd and kick a goal but am not convinced he has the tricks to do this at AFL level so probably very much a midfielder who can run fwd and attack as opposed to a HF flanker. Only issue I have is pace.
Why Geelong: It will be interesting because we don’t know what path the new coach will want go down. For me it is either an inside or an outside mid. Parker suits because he is a bit like Bartel. Can play middle and fwd and can be relied upon to win the footy when it counts.
Similar to: Lenny Hayes
Draft Range: 17-30
Roughie: Jayden Pitt would be a good fit if he landed here.

Selection # 24 (ST KILDA)
Scott Lycett – Port Magpies / 202cm / 94kg

Profile : Fabulous prospect and if I did the drafting on best available he would be top 12.....someone is getting a bargain if he goes beyond that but I have drafted for needs and then best available. Very agile and athletic ruck prospect who has a terrific leap and in many ways plays as an additional midfielder. Body is already reasonably developed and I could see him getting game time sooner than later. Has the ability to go fwd and kick goals or be planted at FF and be relied upon to take some contested marks. When I think that we got Cam Wood for #14 a few years ago I shudder at how good a player Saints are getting here. Is a beauty!
Why Saints: Terrific player who has fallen way to far (see comments above). Saints have a good batch of mids, backs and fwds but I think they need to look at another young ruck prospect. King & Patto gone, Gardiner going , not sure if Kosi is up to it and Lycett will be better ruck than Stanley. This blokes is a sure thing! Would have traded our original #25 for him in a heart beat.....
Similar to: Lot of similar attributes to Rhys Stanley.
Draft Range: 10-25
Roughie: Dion Prestia

Selection # 25 (LIONS)
Dion Prestia – Calder Cannons / 175cm / 82kg

Profile : I just love this bloke. Hasnt been talked about as favourably as I would have thought and that is probably because of the height. Hopefully blokes like Mitchell and more recently Blair have proven that these size blokes can be very effective. The thing with Dion is that at the same age he is better than both those blokes and has more ‘tricks’. Averaged nearly 30 possies each week in the TAC and is terrific at winning his own ball as much as he is adept at playing outside. He is good in traffic with his decision making and executes well off both either foot. Pace is explosive and could play in the midfield or fwd – probably fwd is where he will start. Oh and testing....was v good.
Why Lions: Already got Polec and Prestia just offers another player for them with pace, skill and x factor. With Rich, Polec, Rockliff, Prestia and the Redden kid from SA there are some good kids in that midfield group coming up . Wouldn’t be far off making a debut either.
Similar to: David Rodan
Draft Range: 10-30.
Roughie: Could easily see them going tall but with Fev and Brown for a few years yet and Cornelius highly rated I think they will wait. If they don’t then Luke Mitchell is the one.

Selection #26 (WEST COAST PRIORITY)
Luke Mitchell – Calder Cannons / 197cm / 87kg

Profile : Tends to polarise junior footy watchers. Will be interested to see where Foj1 plants him because he probably sees more of him than most. I have been watching him for 2 years and frankly I rate him pretty high. Had a super GF last year and had some testing with GCS but got knocked back - testing this year was good bar his endurance. Has backed up last year’s final series with another set of really impressive performances having spent much of the year injured. Tall, agile CHF / FF type who works really hard and is a terrific mark. He also is pretty good below his knees and is very clean with his foot skills so he is going to be very hard to match up if he can realise all his potential and become a really hard match up for opposition sides.
Why West Coast: Need a tall fwd and with one of their last two picks I think they will hit one. Mitchell perfect for them as he suits the Subi ground and will use the space really well.
Similar to: Ben Griffiths
Draft Range: 20-50.
Roughie: If not him then I would think maybe a local tall like Hamp. Will Darling still be here?

ROUND 1 COMPENSATION SELECTIONS

GOLD COAST SUNS
PASS

BRISBANE LIONS
Patrick Karnezis – Oakleigh / 191cm / 77kg

Profile : Patrick is one of those guys that everyone rates a little higher than me and subsequently I have become a bit worried I don’t have him as high as I should. Only been playing a couple of years and plays fwd. Terrific size and stands well over 6ft so he presents as someone that is going to be difficult to match up on when his body fills out and he gets more core strength. Prospective coaches will be drawn to him because he is a very likeable kid and is very coachable. Add to that his ability to play a few different roles then you have someone who could go anywhere because of his potential. Mobility and smarts are his big strengths whilst his kicking and marking are good. Reminds me of Scott Simpson from the ’07 Draft. Only issue for me is his acceleration – doesn’t test as a speedster.
Why Brisbane: Any club would be interested in him as he offers a lot of potential and if he was able to get himself stronger without losing any pace then he could be a very damaging third tall.
Similar to: Jarrad Grant
Draft Range: 25 – 40
Roughie: Ben Jacobs

RICHMOND
PASS

NORTH MELBOURNE
Isaac Smith – North Ballarat/ 189cm / 80kg

Profile : Great story Isaac. Came down to Roosters mid season as a 21 yo (I think) and made an immediate impression and I was lucky to see him fairly early. Was my smoky this year but I think plenty saw what he had to offer on VFL GF Day where he literally burnt up the wing / HF flank. Has terrific pace, great vertical leap and skills aren’t for off the elite category either – especially when aiming at the sticks. Kid just stands out as someone who could go in the 2nd or 3rd round and walk straight onto a HF Flank next year.
Why North: I think North have done a great job getting ball winners in Ziebell, Cunnington, Greenwood who is coming on, Adams who is underrated IMO. Bastinac good but they desperately need some class ( Wells, Thomas and Campbell just doesn’t do enough). This kid could walk in the side and have a big impact. I know Fitzgerald has been into them about him so am thinking if Smith makes it this far he gets picked up.
Similar to: Tests very similar to Dale Thomas...but is taller
Draft Range: 20-40
Roughie: Ben Newton

BRISBANE LIONS
PASS

GOLD COAST SUNS
PASS

ROUND 2

# 27 (BRISBANE LIONS)
Ben Jacobs – Sandringham / 186cm / 82kg

Profile : I have a heap of time for a kid like Jacobs. Was Capt of the u16 metro side, i think he is Capt of his school and seemingly in the elite class for his age group. Followed that up with champs last year where he acquitted himself really well. Was probably someone that the Suns thought about taking but ultimately was made to realise he needed to work a lot harder to ‘achieve the dream’. Essentially his biggest problem was he was a bit one paced and needed to be more agile / mobile for AFL level. Over summer he got his body into top shape and has had a terrific season. Again played champs and from a possession perspective dominated (he got 36 possessions and 47 in another). Typically used to drift across HB and set play up with his terrific left foot which is both accurate and penetrating. He is also strong overhead and could probably play a role in the midfield but I see him more as a Simon Goodwin / David Myers type for those looking for a comparison. Like Myers, Jacobs just shows the poise, vision and decision making that potentially make him a very valuable player off HB. The knock on him will still be his pace....but he has improved significantly and a definite to get taken fairly high.
Why Brisbane: Smart player and with Heppell, Prestia and Jacobs coming in as midfielders you are getting a great blend and what could well be a ‘super draft’ for them.
Similar to: David Myers
Draft Range: 10-30
Roughie: Like many clubs I would be thinking they would be hoping Mitchell might be here. Seb Tape would be another for them that would fit well.

# 28 (WEST COAST EAGLES)
Ben Newton – South Fremantle / 182cm / 78kg

Profile : Ben is an AIS graduate, Colts team of year member in 09 and is a capt of his Colts side from memory. Many won’t have seen him because he played very little Champs football due to injury (appendicitis?) earlier in the year. I think he will need a year or two to develop but there is certainly a lot of development left in him. Not afraid to run and carry and his left foot is a weapon. Gets great penetration with it so becomes one of those 70m players which are incredibly important in breaking down zones in the modern game. Also ticks a few other boxes insomuch as he can take a contested mark, will collect his own footy and can use it very well by hands in traffic. If I had one knock on the kid it would be that he can get caught. Am unsure whether he is just trying to get to his left side or whether he lacks awareness / vision. In some ways kind of reminds me of Nick Suban or Heath Black for those a bit older so certainly a very exciting prospect. From all reports a lovely kid and will present really well to clubs.
Why West Coast: Any club would be pretty chuffed to get him but sides like Essendon, West Coast, Brisbane, Port, Geelong come to mind as sides who either have a liking for or need that 70m player who can play in and out.
Similar to: Reminds me of Heath Black
Draft Range: 17 – 35 could well go higher than here.
Roughie: Jamie Cripps speed and skill might be to good to pass

Selection # 29 (RICHMOND)
Jamie Cripps – East Frem /182cm / 78kg

Profile : Quality Colts player for some time now and on the radar I suspect of many clubs. Have seen the kid a number of times and I think he might surprise a few because he is very much what you want your HBF’er to be in the modern game. You want someone with good core strength that can hold their feet, someone who can take a contested mark and have good balanced and acceleration in getting away from the contest. Most importantly in the game ‘of zones’ you want a HB’er who can execute.......Jamie Cripps does all these things. I wouldn’t say he is a huge possession getter and am not sure he goes this high but he is smart footballer who seems to have terrific determination and would be very surprised if he wasn’t selected. Not exactly sure where he lands at AFL level but suspect maybe HBF with potential for midfield in years to come.
Why Richmond: If WCE pass then expect Richmond to hit him as this guy fills a big need for mine. Cripps gives them run and drive off HB which I think they need unless they are going to send Jackson back there.
Similar to: Lindsay Gilbee
Roughie: Luke Mitchell if available or possibly a ruckmen ....if Hickey was available should jump on him but otherwise maybe Phillips or Cope?

Selection # 30 (ESSENDON)
Josh Green – Clarence / 179cm / 76kg

Profile : Aaarrrggghhh Tassie mids. Been a real unhappy ground for me. Love their in and under style and ball winning capability but over the years I have over rated guys like Crichton, Robinson, Hislop, Joseph etc. Not to say they are bad footballers but never quite as high as maybe i expected. However, Green could well be the exception because he has one thing all the above lacked.....pace! He is very polished midfielder who uses the ball very well but can also be an effective ball carrier given his pace and agility. Was an AA selection and was well worthy average over 25 possies with a good efficiency. What’s more I thought he was very well performed against the better sides. Ticks all the boxes as a mid insomuch as he can play in and out (better inside though), carry the ball, run fwd and kick goals. Tackling and chasing is also a feature so there is plenty to like in the kid. Suspect will start his career on either a HF or HB flank as still a bit light for the hustle and bustle of a state league or AFL stoppage. Will be the one to prove me wrong!
Why Essendon: Caddy and now Green are two different types of midfielders which will give Dons the midfield injection they need to complement Melksham, Colyer etc
Similar to: Ryan Harwood but quicker
Roughie: Cameron Guthrie might be a kid they feel has slipped to far and would suit their needs

Selection # 31 (BRISBANE LIONS)
Sebastian Tape – Glenelg / 191cm / 85kg

Profile : I really rate this kid - grown a few cm since start of year and is getting to that key position height which increases his value significantly. Also has a good leap and closing speed so will be in the mix post end of Rd 1 for me. His job on Darling at the champs will have been noted (albeit wet from memory). Good when the ball hits the ground and has terrific clean hands as well as the other attribute you need as a modern day defender....closing speed.
Why Brisbane: Probably about the right time to take a defensive tall. No huge rush to bring one in bc MacGuire, Merrett, Drummond and Patfull can all handle the big blokes down back. Hopefully Cornelius is pushed fwd and Retzlaff given some time to so the fwds should be ok for now.
Similar to: Maybe a slightly taller version of Nick Maxwell if you go back to when he started
Draft Range: 20-50
Roughie: Wouldnt surprise to see a Tall fwd like Darcey Barden...imagine being taught by the Great Man!

Selection # 32 (MELBOURNE)
Cameron Guthrie – Calder Cannons / 186cm /79 kg

Profile : Kid off the Calder production line who is regarded as a very disciplined player and expected to go as high as the first round. I am probably not as keen on him as some others simply because I just don’t really see a standout feature with him. In saying that he does all things pretty well – got clean hands, uses the ball pretty well, plays to coaches structures and can play a variety of roles. Represented Metro and played pretty well as a mid / defender so will certainly be on the radar of a few clubs. Tested very well to.
Why Melbourne: Best available and slipped to far.
Similar to: Mitch Duncan
Draft Range: 15-35
Roughie: Originally had Ninnyette here as i thought he could add some pace and flair through the middle and moreso fwd. If they went Lycett herebthen maybe avtall fwd here.

Selection # 33 (CARLTON)
Darcey Barden – Northern Knights / 192cm / 92kg

Profile : I think the poor bugger is a bit maligned on BF.....I really like him but in saying that I love the big fwds and hope he isn’t afflicted with Snoops ‘TemelPanos’ virus...albeit convinced Panos will prove me right! Had a terrific year for Knights and was solid without being outstanding at Champs. Smart footballer, has really strong hands so able to take contested marks but at the same time a good work rate so he can get to a number of uncontested marks as well. Foot skills are good and clubs can feel assured they aint getting a kid who suffers from errant kicking. The knock on Barden is going to be that he just didn’t test as well as clubs might be wanting and they feel his capacity to deliver at the next level is limited. Could slide.
Why Carlton: Desperate for a tall fwd and it is either he or Hamp for mine. Hamp tested much better but prepared to back Barden ‘smarts’ and Blues ability to get him fitter and faster.
Similar to: Be interested to see how he tested vs Chris Dawes
Draft Range: 30 - Rookie
Roughie: If it's key fwd then maybe Hamp or Solly or one of the WA boys but if they got a tall fwd first then maybe a key defender like Tape or Fitzgerald or Gordon.

Selection # 34 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Alex Fasolo – East Fremantle / 182cm / 80kg

Profile : Member of the WA squad and was one who showed a bit through the carnivals. Can win his own ball but also a very nice ball carrier and uses it pretty well finishing (high disposal efficiency at Champs from memory). One of the things I did like about him was that when he got his touches he didn’t just get them by getting cheap kicks in the back half, they were usually somewhere in the corridor and resulted in him kicking to advantage. Seems to have a good motor as always in the thick of the play and also seems to be able to run defensively if required so wouldn’t be surprised to see him start more as a defender than a mid.
Why Port: Have Fasolo bracketed with a bunch of mids around this level like Crocker, Farmer, Mullett, Lester & Andreoli so not sure who they take but this kid is my preferred. Love his attack on the footy and willingness to run.
Similar to: Heath Black
Draft Range: 30-60
Roughie: Viv Michie

COMPENSATION SELECTION (GOLD COAST SUNS)
PASS

Selection # 35 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Aaron Young – Eastern Ranges / 188cm / 76kg

Profile : Interesting type to figure out where he goes because I think he probably falls into a category where there are plenty to choose from but few taken.....medium defenders / fwds. I kind of liken him to Max Rooke insomuch as is pretty aggressive and I just love the way he hits the contest. Can play both back and fwd and probably has the motor to have a run on the wing. I think he played fwd in some of trials and then back for a fair bit of the champs so suspect that hasn’t gone unnoticed but didn’t do a heap in the champs to force him into the first couple of rounds. Can also take a contested mark and so I just think other than his scratchy kicking he has some very draftable attributes.
Similar to: Andrew Moore but more aggressive and worse skills
Why Port: I thought Port drafted well last year with some nice types like Moore and Pittard. Young would be a good add to that midfield group, particularly with his aggression and willingness to win the footy around the midfield.
Roughie: Myles Sewell

Selection # 36 (GEELONG)
Cameron O’Shea – / 190cm / 82kg

Profile : Listed as a tall defender by that crap system the AFL have come up with. More a midfield / defender type that can play a variety of roles. I think he will start off as a HBF but if he can get fit enough will become an inside midfielder.
Why Cats: Nice running HB type who I think will just get better and better and seems a perfect replacement for Milburn.
Similar to: i think he could become a David Mundy type
Draft Range: 35 - Rookie
Roughie: A young small fwd prospect seems natural or another key tall to come up with Brown like Hamp etc.

Selection # 37 (HAWTHORN)
Alex Browne – Oakleigh / 188cm / 86kg

Profile : Son of Murray for those that can remember. I think #46 was his first number before going to #14? One of my favourites and was rapt he got a DC and when you think about it he is an AFL scouts dream because he just offers a lot of upside. Terrific height and has very good agility which I think was subsequently borne out with some of his DC results. Tends to play HBF / Wing but will probably start more as the former. The one thing I love about this kid is his attack on the footy and his exceptionally cleans hands when ball is on the ground and there is referred pressure. Can also take a contested mark. Knock on him is sometimes the kicking isn’t great. Could move into the wing later on but presents very much as a player who a club could mould into a range of positions. Got to work on kicking though.
Why Hawks: I think with Brown gone they need a bit of aggression into the side. He also ticks a lot of boxes the hawks look for; 6ft, agile and good at contested footy.
Similar to: More aggressive Andy Otten
Roughie: Seb Tape

Selection # 38 (GOLD COAST SUNS)
Max Otten – Oakleigh / 190cm / 75kg

Profile : Brother of Andy and a very similar player. Tall, rebounding defender who is athletic and can potentially play on a range of talls, mediums and smalls. Certainly his brother’s development will bode well for him and give clubs some insight into how he can fit into their plans. Has a nice left foot which he puts to good use as he comes out of traffic. Maybe the one knock on Max is the amount of contested footy he wins. Not saying he is soft or anything just maybe something he doesn’t show as much as recruiters would like to see.
Why the Suns: Best available here and also a type they don’t have a heap of.
Similar to: Andy
Draft Range: 35-55
Roughie: Tim Milera or Luke Dahlaus...they don’t have many small crumbing fwds.

Selection # 39 (SYDNEY SWANS)
Warwick Andreoli – South Frem / 182cm / 70kg

Profile : I am a little unsure where Warwick goes because I think a case can be made for him in the 15-25 range. Presents as someone who will play at AFL level on a wing but could equally play any of the flanks.Wing suits him because he has super pace and is prepared to take the game on. Also has great agility and just gets across the park at ease so is a nice player to watch. Skills are good and can go fwd and kick a goal.
Why Swans: Classy act who would be a nice get here.
Similar to: Clint Young
Draft Range: 25-50
Roughie: Originally had Ninnyette here as i thought he could add some pace and flair through the middle and moreso fwd..

Selection # 40 (WESTERN BULLDOGS)
Tom Liberatore– Calder Cannons

Selection # 41 (CARLTON)
Myles Sewell – North Ballarat / 185cm / 78kg

Profile : Got a great ‘put option’ with GWS if not picked up in this draft but surely will get drafted this year given his consistency, Barlow factor etc. Don’t need to write much as we all know he is a wonderful mid for the Roosters and had a couple of ripping years.
Similar to: Brent Prismall but wins more of his own ball
Draft Range: 40-70
Why Carlton: With Hadley possibly gone and Blues believing (with some justification) they are in reach of a premiership in Judd’s last few years this guy makes perfect sense. Sewell is coming into his best footy and very much a chance to emulate Barlow. Won’t get tagged at all so will be left to roam free and will suit him perfectly.
Roughie: Viv Michie

Selection # 42 (ST KILDA)
Viv Michie – Oakleigh / 185cm / 77kg

Profile : Another member of the Oakleigh squad likely to get drafted this year. Has good pace and is a terrific reader of the footy which allows him to play a variety of roles. He is well balanced in contested situations. Foot skills are good and could well prove to be a neat selection. Tested very well from what I heard.
Why Saints: Safe selection at this stage. You know he will play footy but issue is how good will he be and what will be his standout.
Similar to: Shorter than Barlow but moves the same way.
Roughie: Ryan Lester or someone like Ninnyette who I dropped out. He gives them a mature age HF weapon.

Selection # 43 (FREMANTLE)
Anton Hamp – Claremont / 193cm / 83kg

Profile : Tall and mobile key position fwd who will appreciate the space of Subiaco. Got a good engine for a tall kid and will be able to do the “Riewoldt repeat leads’ without much fuss. Also seems to have good pace so going to be hard to beat if he is in front and in space. Good hands and takes a strong contested mark and finishes his work really well in front of goal. Would need to put some bulk on but a very good prospect.
Why Freo: Desperate for key fwds to round out an excellent list
Similar to: Oddly reminds me a bit of Earl Spalding
Draft Range: 40 - Rookie
Roughie: Sam Menagola

Selection # 44 (COLLINGWOOD)
Daniel Farmer – Sandringham / 187cm / 80kg

Profile : Another who hasn’t been talked about terribly much who could feature quite high up the order come draft day. Has had a terrific year for the Dragons where he played a variety of roles through the middle and up fwd. I think it is probably a wing / HF where he will settle so his team can exploit his pace and goal kicking capability. He is an exceptional user of the footy, has a very penetrating boot, is a good contested mark and seems to have very good core strength meaning he should win more one on ones than he loses. It is all this combined with his pace that I think will have him potentially going quite highly. Might get howled down for this but not dissimilar to one recent Rising Star winner at about the same stage. Super impressive at DC for speed and agility from memory which tends to be a reasonable test for players that get picked and go onto good things.
Why Collingwood: Pies were very keen to hold onto a couple of picks at this point so as per usual they appear to have already marked their target. Pies have lost a heap of midfield capability and Farmer is the best left.
Similar to: Dan Hanneberry
Draft Range: 30 - 50
Roughie: mail is that Chalwell might be taken here

Selection # 45 (COLLINGWOOD)
George Horlin-Smith – Sturt / 186cm / 70kg

Profile : This years Mackie/Rusling Award winner appears to be George Horlin-Smith. Only seen some limited footage of him as he has only played a couple of u18 games for Sturt. Has literally been plucked from nowhere and whilst it was rumoured a kid was being tucked away in SA (why is it always SA?) it obviously wasn’t that great a secret because 5 clubs listed him for a National Draft Combine invitation (albeit some of his results may not have been what they are hoping for). A talented cricketer and footballer who has predominantly being playing College footy with Pembroke where he is capt. Plays mid / HF and his kicking and vision are elite I would think. His kicking actually reminds of a Nathan Buckley. One to watch come draft day.....
Why Collingwood: Remember Sean Rusling......smells like Hine to me!
Similar to: To be honest he reminds of a very young and skinny Nathan Buckley, kicking style is quite similar
Draft Range: 40- Rookie
Roughie: Jack Frost or Angus Litherland would be good defensive tall options here which might be a need. Wouldn't surprise if a player we know little about.

Selection # 46 (RICHMOND)
Sam Crocker – Oakleigh /180cm / 73kg

Profile : Sam is a Carey boy so been in and out of Oakleigh side but has put in some performances that suggest he is a very exciting prospect. He was a member of the initial Metro squad but didn’t make the final cut which wasn’t surprising as he was coming from a long way back in that he only played 1 TAC match last year. Notwithstanding, he ticks a lot of boxes and has just kept on improving and with a DC invite suggests many agree there is also plenty of potential still left in him. DC will be important but I am pretty sure he will test well. Was listed in the DC as a small fwd although has played mostly in the middle so I think he is just as likely to end up as a HBF or Wing. Blessed with good pace and a great first step he will use his motor and ability to collect handball receives and then set up play with his beautifully weighted and penetrating left foot. Also has the ability to go back and take a contested mark. Don’t get me wrong he could go forward as well as he can take a grab and has reasonably clean hands along with a defensive element where he is prepared to pressure the carrier. Personally I would like to see him developed for a role around the middle where his run, decision making in traffic and foot skills allow him to set up play really well.
Why Richmond: I just think Sam is a nice fit. Lots of class and very smooth to compliment the Foley, Martin, Cotchin, Gaff midfield. If they could release him out wide then he could damage sides. Notwithstanding he is a late pick I have had him as high as #25 its just that some of his performances are a bit up and down. Potential is there in spades so hopefully the Tigers harness because if they do he could be a gem at pick 46.
Similar to: Heath Black
Roughie: Anton Hamp....still thinking about a ruckmen

Selection # 47 (ESSENDON)
Josh Walker – Geelong Falcons / 194cm / 84kg

Profile : Look I have probably been a bit harsh on this bloke through the year but have come on board late as I just think he has tremendous potential. Big enough to hold down a key spot and has terrific agility and endurance for a big fella which allows him to lead up and back much like Roo does. Knock on him is pace and his kicking skills but the times I have seen him they have been ok. Didnt see his kick test results but would make interesting reading.
Similar to: Bit like Ben Griffiths from last year but shorter.
Draft Range: 50 - rookie
Why Essendon: I think the Dons are best leaving Hooker, Pears and Hurley down back and developing some talls and hence he is a nice fit.
Roughie: Love their WA talls....take a guess

Selection # 48 (GOLD COAST)
Tim Milera – Port Adelaide / 170cm / 72kg

Profile : One of my very favourite players in this draft but am really unsure where he lands. Has come a long way this year. Missed out on being a member of the SA Squad because of fitness and turned that around in the 2nd half of the year. Went on to play some senior footy with Port and was BOG I think in his first game. Very much like Betts / Davis like in that he is a small creative fwd, can chase and tackle and has that ability to do some of the very special things. In one of his Port reserve games he had 25 touches, 7 tackles and half a dozen clearances and then went on to play seniors next wk and kick 3.3 in a losing side.....he has some talent.
Why Suns: I thought they may go some more mature players here like Stephen Clifton from the Roosters who would be good for them but settled on this kid because he just has so much x factor. BOG in his first senior game for Port.
Similar to: Eddie Betts
Draft Range: 40 - 80
Roughie: Stephen Clifton

Selection # 49 (MELBOURNE)
Justin Monaco – East Fremantle / 191cm / 86kg

Profile : Listed as a Tall Defender for combine but will be a HB flank for sure.....getting repetitive.....there are more to come! Seen Monaco a few times and I think he is a really good talent albeit I fear I am alone. Reminds me a bit of a Enright. He is not blessed with a heap of pace but is just a footballers footballer. Reads the play incredibly well and is strong on his feet which is really important for backmen. Plays the percentages and gives everything when out there. The knock on him is that he just lacks that bit of hurt factor because whilst his pace and skills are good....they aren’t elite. Still will dominate at State League and force his way in and from then on will be fine.
Why Melbourne: At #49 I think he is a steel. Will start at HB but if any good will be in the midfield group before long and at that height and build he will cause havoc.
Similar to: Mix between Joel Corey and Corey Enright
Draft Range: 45 – Rookie. I love the bloke but I think there is a chance he could be a rookie.
Roughie: May be a bit similar to O’Shea in the eyes of many but I think O’Shea can push through to be a tall mid type like Barlow or Mundy. If not Monaco then Andrew Phillips.

Selection # 50 (RICHMOND)
Ariel Steinberg – Bendigo / 191cm / 84kg

Profile : Been a bit over-hyped for me but this kid is a beauty and notwithstanding he is the awkward height for a key fwd his mobility is terrific and he could easily play as a tall third fwd. Mainly played out of the square for Pioneers and showed really good mobility, contested marking and kicking efficiency. Stocks rose significantly after DC where he was super impressive. I think I may have him a bit low here.
Similar to: Jarred Grant but not as explosive
Draft Range: 25-60
Why Richmond: Many will think he is a bargain at this selection but it is about right and its a developing tall that Richmond can work with to fit in with the long term plan of Roo Jnr & Griffiths
Roughie: Jamie Solly or Ben Brown

Selection # 51 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Jamie Solly – Port / 191cm / 86kg

Profile : Interesting player Jamie. Not that dissimilar to Temel so I am a but curious where he goes. Last year would have him bracketed with Temel as he probably could have been fitter and done a bit more at ground level. This year seems to have turned it around as he provided a terrific target and from what I saw did a lot more when 1:1 and when the ball was on the ground. FF is probably his spot and probably still needs to hit some contests a bit harder and take some more contested grabs.
Why Port: Might get slayed by Port fans for this selection but I think they could do with another tall fwd option to develop alongside Butcher and Stewart.
Similar to: Smaller Tom Hawkins
Draft Range: 50 - Rookie
Why Port: Might get slayed by Port fans for this selection but I think they could do with another tall fwd option to develop alongside Butcher and Stewart.
Roughie: Steinberg / Hamp / von Bertouch / Fitzgerald....all similar in potential.

Selection # 52 (MELBOURNE)
Zac Fitzgerald – Woodville / Torrens / 192cm / 84kg

Profile : Hasn’t generated the plaudits he deserves. Possibly because as an overage player he was overlooked last year. Played fwd last year in the champs and then played both fwd and back this year with some terrific results particularly his 4 goals vs Metro. Zac showed that he is a good contested mark, handles the ball well below the knees and has good skill execution under pressure. I think one of the other things that stood out for me was that he is a very good reader of the play and some of his efforts against Country were really exceptional. Clearly going to take some time to fill out but there is a heap to work with and I think he will probably end of filling a defensive spine role.
Why Dees: Tall kid who they can let have a go Fwd and Back to see where he settles.
Similar to: Ben Reid sort of but maybe a little less agile
Draft Range: 40-70
Roughie: Leif Cope / Andrew Phillips / Matt Jones

Selection # 53 (GEELONG)
Angus Litherland – Claremont / 192cm / 84kg

Profile : We all have favourites when watching young kids and I have to declare Litherland is one of those. He is therefore potentially afflicted with the Luff virus! Terrific tall defender who has shown enough aerobic capacity to play up the ground as well but it will be as a tall defender he gets selected. Just reminds me so much of North’s Scott Thompson insomuch as he just wills himself into the contest and wears his effort as a badge of honor. He tested really well athletically so clubs will be confident he can get to contests and play on the modern types fwds. Can also hurt the other way as has a very penetrating kick and clean below the knees. His game against Vic Country will be in the minds of a lot of recruiters. The only knock I have on him is he is a bit one dimensional and that brings back memories of Chris Luff from last year who thoroughly deserved a spot.
Why Cats: I know they have Weston coming through who seems to be going well but another makes sense. this guy plays a bit the same as Scarlett so they know what to do with hiim. Really good 1:1 and good speed and agility as well.
Similar to: Scott Thompson
Draft Range: 50+
Roughie: Cameron Delaney or Tom Gordon

Selection # 54 (HAWTHORN)
Cameron Delaney – Geelong Falcons /193cm / 74kg

Profile : Rounded out a pretty good year by being named in the TAC team as FB. I think he will definitely get drafted but probably more a rookie selection. It’s hard to say because I think you could throw a blanket over 60-70+ kids for the last 30 selections. Good size kid and tall enough for a key back role but has a lot of filling out to do. Can take a contested grab and has really nice skills below the knees. I think the other thing that stands out is the pace is pretty good for a tall third back which is what he will be and that in itself makes him reasonably draft worthy for a bloke his size.
Why Hawks: Tall defender type who they can work with.
Similar to: Inspector Gadget
Roughie: I selected Luff for them last year and he has been good enough again. Also cut loose some small Feds so wouldn't mind betting on someone like Milera or Stevens. If Skinner isn't pre-listed then Hawks perfect fit.

Selection # 55 (FREMANTLE)
Nathan Batley – Woodville / 185cm / 74kg

Profile : Must say I haven’t seen a heap of Nathan outside of a couple of champs games but what I saw i liked. Reminds very much of Simon Tregenza. Has excellent agility and pace but probably lacks a bit of endurance. Gets to a lot of contests and hits the footy pretty hard, has elite speed so has the ability to play HB and Wing in time. Kicking skills are good but am not sure how he tested in that new test. If you want a player that offers real run off HB...he is a good one to think about.
Why Fremantle: I think they could do with an attacking HB type with nice pace and clean hands. He can also play a shut down role so he offers good versatility.
Similar to: Simon Tregenza
Roughie: I think Mullett or Lester would be good for these blokes.

Selection # 56 (SYDNEY SWANS)
Ryan Lester – Oakleigh / 190cm / 83kg

Profile : Another of the Oakleigh kids who will be considered......there are oodles of them! Listed as a Tall Defender but will play HB / HF and increasingly midfield I suspect as his testing suggests he could be part of a midfield rotation. As well as athletic ability strikes as a kid who is just a natural footballer. Tends to have a bit more time and stays on his feet in contested situations , good mark for his size and skills are very good as well. I think he could be a terrific AFL footballer but and really keen to see where he goes.
Why Swans: Just a good versatile kid that could play a variety of roles and would fit the Swans really well I think.
Similar to: I liken him to Ryan Okeefe
Roughie: Aaron Mullett not dissimilar. Michael Hibberd would add pace in the back

Selection # 57 (GEELONG)
James Podsially – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 58 (GEELONG)
PASS

Selection # 59 (ST KILDA)
Aaron Mullett – Eastern Ranges / 183cm / 72kg
Profile : Am a decent fan of this kid and had him up and down the order to be honest. From all reports a team orientated kid who is easy to coach so in a modern game of ‘role players’ he fits that bill. Has good pace, good contested mark for his size and a neat left foot so could play in a variety of positions.
Why Saints: Very team orientated type who I think will play a role for Lyon. Also has good kicking skills under pressure which I suspect the Saints will some more emphasis on.
Similar to: Shorter Ryan OKeefe
Draft Range: 45 - 75
Roughie: Josh Mellington would be a neat pick. I though MacAffer did a good job in the finals and clubs will be looking for big bodied versatile types like him.

Selection # 60 (COLLINGWOOD)
Michael Hibberd – Frankston/ 186cm / 87kg

Profile : Hibberd is a 20/21yo who has been playing sensational footy in the VFL for Frankston this year after switching from Somerville where he was an excellent junior. Not sure, but I think he may have made the VFL team of the year....would be surprise if he didn’t. Played HB and midfield this year and can play both inside and out. Kid reminds of Hardwick with his attack on the ball and that is what really draws you to the bloke. Havent seen his results but has exceptional pace and has got great hands in traffic and seems to more often than not make the right calls. Great left foot and you sense the kid is just getting better and better.
Why Collingwood: Pies have lost a lot of experience. I think Hibberd would be a great choice as I think he offers pace, skill and aggression. Could easily walk into the side as well. In saying that am thinking I am the only person who rates him so maybe I am way off.
Similar to: Heath Shaw
Draft Range: 50 - 80
Roughie: Jack Frost is a tall defender from Sandy that the Pies could well be looking at if they do not rookie Carter (which I don’t think they are). Good height and tested incredibly well.

Compensation Selection – (WEST COAST EAGLES)
PASS

Selection # 61 (ADELAIDE)
Nathan Ahmat-Watkins – West Adelaide / 186cm / 75kg

Profile : Probably not one seen terribly much outside of SA but have seen him play champs the last few years. Smooth mover who has nice hands and very efficient by both hand and foot. He is pretty good in traffic and can play midfield and HF. He has good pace and sublime skills and will be a damaging player if he can get it all together....and therein lies the knock – he just struggles to put it all together.
Why Crows: Crows could do with a quick mid / HF flanker who can hurt offensively. He is a little bit of a gamble but there is enough to work with
Draft Range: 55 - Rookie
Roughie: Tim Milera would be an option as would Ugle, Yu and Stevens etc.

Selection # 62 (WEST COAST EAGLES)
Jacob Brennan – F/S

Selection # 63 (RICHMOND)
Blayne Wilson – Peel / 188cm / 86kg

Profile : Terrific player who many would think would be higher given his performances over the last few years now. Will play as a medium defender at AFL level and frankly I don’t have much doubt he will make it but probably just needs to improve some of athletic results. In saying that he is a natural footballer. Strong at the ball and holds his feet in contested situations. Tends to rack up good touches and then uses it really well. Has ok pace and is strong through the core so he is going to be difficult for opposition fwds and potentially be one that burns you the other way as he can kick pretty well either side.
Why Tiges: May be a bit similar to Rance but I think he would be a steal this late and very likely to play AFL footy.
Similar to: Nick Maxwell
Draft Range: 50 - rookie
Roughie: Jack Frost

Selection # 64 (ESSENDON)
Ben Brown – Devonport / 197cm / 84kg

Profile : Not in a dissimilar position to Chris Dawes 3-4 years ago. Had an injury that meant his first AFL year was going to be very limited in output but a club took the view he was a good long term prospect. Brown his knee vs NT at Champs but was already a hot prospect having kicked 5 goals vs QLD a week or so earlier. Nephew of Jimmy Manson and like uncle moves between KPF / Ruck. Has strong hands, good agility (outstanding basketballer) and a clean pair of hands below his knees so offers a heap to prospective clubs as a KPF and Ruck. Problem is he is very skinny and that is what makes me thinks he is later than sooner in the pecking order.
Similar to: Kurt Tippett insomuch as a tall ruck / fwd type.
Why Essendon: Kid was showing the potential to be very good pre injury. Dons should invest in him like Pies did with Dawes and just give him time. Young enough not to be to fussed about next year. Perfect for the new rule
Roughie: Brayden Grenfell another similar type

Selection # 65 (LIONS)
Alex Johnson – Oakleigh / 193cm / 82kg

Profile : Another of the kids off the Oakleigh production line. Alex is a really draftable kid because he offers an enormous of flexibility. Can play tall fwd and back and is a really good athlete. Not sure where he will play as fancy could be more a wing, lead up fwd or third tall back. That is the beauty of him he is just so versatile and I worry I should have him higher. One of the things I have really liked about his game is his ability to be so clean below his knees under pressure. Skills are good so not a bad pick up and when which you would be pretty happy with.
Why Lions: Just think Voss will love him. Very versatile.
Similar to: Clint Young but more aggressive
Draft Range: 30 - Rookie
Roughie: Hayden Yarran or Kirk Ugle have been terrific smalls late in the year who the Lions could be interested in. That would allow Banfield to push up as he matures which would be nice to have his pace and ability to hurt offensively off a wing.

Selection # 66 (HAWTHORN)
Brad Harvey – Eastern Ranges/ 184cm /82kg

Profile : Player who I only had on the cusp of being drafted as I just haven’t seen him play any ‘great games’. Notwithstanding he got an invite to DC and was one of the best performed. Broke the 20m sprint record originally held by Pearce before losing it to Wilkinson and then was one of the best in agaility and the vertical leap (usually the big blokes perform best). As a player he moves well and one of the things that I notice about him is he seems to be a capable ball winner, has good anticipation and has good hands and very assured decision making. No issues with the skills and think he will probably land more as a HBF / Wing type but frankly could see him in a few roles.
Why Hawks: Hawks tend to like these kids who can play a role and who do all the basics things well.
Similar to: I see a bit of the Ash Smith’s in him...like Ash deceptive pace.
Draft Range: 60 - Rookie
Roughie: Could see the Hawks going for a small or medium fwd here. Plenty to choose from such as Yu, Stevens, Ugle, Mellington, Sipposs etc.

Selection # 67 (CARLTON)
Cameron Johnston – Geelong Falcons / 181cm / 78kg

Profile: Neat athletic type player with super attitude who tested very well at Camp. Seems a good reader of the game and uses his pace to advantage to get into uncontested situations. Can play fwd or back but I tend to think he might be used fwd. I think the x factor with Cam is not only his pace but he has an effortless kicking action and it goes for miles!
Why Carlton: With Fisher gone and no obvious 3rd tall replacement makes sense to develop one. Issue I have is I cant split this bloke, Mellington, Sipposs or Buchan as options.
Similar to: Might be a stretch but he plays a bit like Mercuri.....very clever and a bit effortless
Roughie: Josh Mellington is someone I have been keen on all year. Medium fwd like MacAffer who had a super year and tested well enough to be in the frame.

Selection # 68 (PORT ADELAIDE)
Tom Gordon – Oakleigh / 195cm / 90kg

Profile : Interesting type who has played mostly as a fwd at TAC level but was used in defence at Champs. Shown an ability to play both roles and that makes him pretty attractive. Really good height and has pretty reasonable mobility as well. His weapon is his kicking which is both accurate and penetrating. Has some similar attributes to Lake when he first started and would do well to model his game on Lake’s as he is an attacking type player who reads the game really well. Skills are good and could obviously be thrown fwd.
Why Port: Has played fwd and back so Port can have a play with him and mould him into the type of key position player they want. From all reports very coachable and whilst not a certainty to go is as good as anyone left.
Similar to: Brian Lake but may lack the yard in closing speed Lake has.
Draft Range: 60-Rookie
Roughie: Andrew McInness or Zac Fitzgerald

Selection # 69 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Ben Casley – Western Jets/ 189cm / 82kg

Profile : Fairly unassuming player but has been very consistent for a disappointing for the Jets this season and probably one of very that will be considered. Casley will appeal as a guy with good height and run as well as good skills by hand and foot. He also has just a terrific sense for reading the ball. Would have been interesting to see how he would have gone in a better side with more support around him. Could play a variety of roles at AFL level and would have been good to see him at DC but was injured I think. Played a couple of games for Willy and went really well I think from memory and that is what has probably got him ahead of a couple of others.
Why North: Very Brad Scott
Similar to: Brad / Chris Scott
Roughie: Was a split between Casley, Mellington, Sketcher and Lyon who also played some VFL footy and went well.

Selection # 70 (CARLTON)
Josh Mellington - Murray Bushies / 184 / 77

Profile : Wanted to get this bloke into the Draft because I think his results both at TAC level and at testing are to good to ignore. Smart footballer who has kicked a truck load of goals as a medium fwd and presents similarly to MacAffer who I think has been a great story (not a player clubs use to have high on the list but increasingly do / will). I was really keen to see how he tested and the #’s were actually pretty impressive. Good pace and agility and the endurance ok without being outstanding.
Why Blues: Lost Fischer and would make sense to replenish here or maybe in the rookie.
Roughie: Arryn Sipposs could be another they look at. David Kruse who is an attacking defender from NT. Perfect height for the hawks who could play tall and short and would add some pace from down back. Batchelor as an attacking HB.

Selection # 71 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Dan Nicholson – Uni Blues / 183cm / 78kg

Profile : Rising Star winner of the Ammo's in Victoria and plays for my old nemisis Uni Blues who I havent seen play but taking on some advice of old Uni Blue pals who have. Plays HB flank and has reportedly had a number of clubs visiting him. Apparently came to prominence not only with great results at the Blues but also starred in the VAFA under 19 & 23 games before earning a State Screening where his test results were elite in nearly every category.
Why North: Possibly should have higher but I havent seen him. Unsure where this kid goes but there noise is significant and would be a nice addition with Smith as they are both electrifying off HB and HF and could make a real difference immediately for the Roos.
Draft Range: 70 - Rookie
Roughie: Ben Reid the speedy little NSW player who I displaced for Nicholson

Selection # 72 (FREMANTLE)
Sam Menagola - East Fremantle / 194cm / 83kg

Profile: Only light but a terrific young tall who has really come on late in the year with a some really good performances at Colts level – I think he also made TAC Cup Team of the Year. Went to State Combine and scored an unbelievable 15.6 beep which was just under what Hector hit. It suggests he could play midfield. Very agile, plays up front, takes a strong mark and finishes his work really well. My spies out west seem very very keen on the kid.
Why Dockers: Took best available here and someone that could turn into a gun.
Draft Range: 40 – 80
Roughie: Zac Fitzgerald

Selection # 73 (SYDNEY SWANS)
Luke Dahlhaus – Geelong Falcons /175cm / 74kg

Profile : I have been a bit up and down on Luke and that is probably because I saw more of his footy pre champs than post. To his credit he had a very good champs and has put in some terrific for the Falcons post coming back. Presents in some ways like Milne, he has good core strength and stays on his feet pretty well which helps him win his own ball. Has good pace and acceleration which is also going to be highly sort after as your fwds needs to be able to tackle and harass and his pace and agility will certainly get him a slot I would think. Kid is also creative in his ball use so coupled with his strength and pace he has the ability to be a Milne / Harvey type. Like Milne he played as a junior in the mids and fwds but ultimately settled in a pocket and I think that is his spot so when I say he has Harvey attributes I think he will be more a Milne type. The knock on him is that his foot skills are good but not great and given he only got a state screen I would think he is more likely to be drafted late or rookie.
Why Swans: Anyone looking for a small fwd to develop over a couple of years would / should be looking at this kid.
Similar to: Stephen Milne but a better one for those old enough......Brad Rowe.....but better!
Roughie: Tim Milera or Kirk Ugle.

Selection # 74 (WESTERN BULLDOGS)
Brayden Grenfell – Calder cannons / 198cm / 84kg

Profile: Leapt to prominence later in the year and is someone who offers a fair bit as a player who could play as a key fwd, back or even Ruck. Has a willingness for the physical stuff, terrific mobility and a super pair of hands so should be able to get a fair share of uncontested and contested marks.
Similar to: Potential to develop into a Kosi type if he can get the weight / muscle on.
Why Dogs: Raw but shows enormous potential.
Roughie: Isiah Stevens

Selection # 75 (GEELONG)
PASS

Selection # 76 (ST KILDA)
Ozgur Uysal – Calder / 180cm / 76kg
Profile : Top age HF for Cannons who played some really good all year and earnt a call up for a couple of VFL games from memory where he was promising. Will settle as a small fwd and has all the things you are looking for as a HF insomuch has a bit of x factor, good pace and agility around the contest, can apply defensive pressure and finishes by foot particularly well. Problem is still only light and may need some weight on him.
Similar to: Whenever I look at him I think of a slower Jarrod Harbrow when he started
Why Saints: I think the Saints could do with some more speed and goal kicking in the front half.
Roughie: Keifer Yu, Isiah Stevens or Kirk Ugle

Selection # 77 (COLLINGWOOD)
Jack Frost – Sandringham / 194cm / 83kg

Profile : One of my very favourite players and am somewhat surprised he hasn’t been talked about more. Had a terrific year for the Dragons and been really consistent. Terrific height for a KPD and also has terrific pace (tested faster than Farmer over 20m) and agility.
Why Pies: Need some replacements here. Probably should be a bit higher but after passing up Weston last year we don’t need to look any further than this kid as he is equally as good.
Similar to: Jack Weston
Roughie: Kirk Ugle

Selection # 78 (COLLINGWOOD)
Tyler Chalwell - East Fremantle / 193cm / 89kg

Profile: Only seen limited footage of the kid but he has some talent....and JB like presence. Played Colts pretty much all year save for a couple of reserves games which he went well in. Played ruck at Colts level but also spent ime up fwd. Vertical leap was the equal best of the National Draft Combine but also scored a 14.6 beep test which is good enough to play midfield. Dominates the airspace around him and is very good with his footskills as well. Notwithstanding the limited footage he also seems to show an ability to get the ball moving quickly and also enjoys then physical contact.
Similar to: Dont want to load him with expectation.....but I like what I see!
Draft Range: Late to rookie
Why Pies: We have a need for a key tall and Tyler could play a variety of roles for us fwd, back and rotating ruck.
Roughie: Ben Brown or Jimmi Savage from Norwood

Selection # 79 (WEST COAST)
Andrew Strijk– Rookie Promotion
....and a bloody terrific one as well

Selection # 80 (RICHMOND)
Bachar Houli - Essendon

Selection # 81 (ESSENDON)
Hayden Yarran – West Perth / 186cm / 75kg

Profile: Medium sized fwd who presents as someone who will be very dangerous around goal and would appreciate a faster level. Has a knack of being able to stay on his feet in traffic and make good decisions. Also has good goal sense and skills are fine. He would also offer the prospect of being able to go into the midfield but that is a way off.
Similar to: Josh Hill but smaller
Draft Range: 70 - Rookie
Why Essendon: Have taken a couple of mids, a key fwd and a ruck/fwd. Davey is great but I think they still need some smaller fwds who are dangerous when ball hits ground because he cannot be relied upon to be consistently fit.
Roughie: All the kids like Ugle, Yu, Milera, Stevens, Johnston etc would all be good choices and little splits them

Selection # 82 (LIONS)
Claye Beams– Rookie Promotion
...should have been selected in main draft last year

Selection # 83 (MELBOURNE)
Jordie McKenzie– Rookie Promotion

Selection # 84 (ADELAIDE)
Matthew Jeansch– Rookie Promotion

Selection # 85 (PORT)
Cameron Hitchcock– Rookie Promotion

Selection # 86 (WEST COAST)
Callum Wilson– Rookie Promotion
...deservedly so.....hope he gets a good run at it

Selection # 87 (CARLTON)
Simon White – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 88 (HAWTHORN)
Luke Bruest– Rookie Promotion

Selection # 89 (FREMANTLE)
Matt DeBoer– Rookie Promotion
...what a road for the young bloke

Selection # 90 (BULLDOGS)
Peter Puopola– Norwood / 175cm / 82kg
Profile : 22yo that appears to have really come on this year and is on the Dogs radar albeit unclear if it is National or Rookie Draft. Did a little hunting and found some vision and he is definitely one that should get taken. Fast and aggressive and appears to be somewhat of a ready made replacement for Harbrow.
Who is he like: Harbrow / Gilbee
Draft Range: 40 - Rookie
Roughie: Jordan Treloar

Selection # 91 (BULLDOGS)
Jackson Sketcher – Sandringham Dragons / 182cm / 82kg

Profile : Not sure whether he gets taken or not as he didn’t get invited to any testing but i like these blokes. Is a midfielder who was Capt of the Dragons and was the joint winner of the Morrish Medal with Heppell. Averaged over 25 possessions and a terrific ability to win contested footy. Cerrtainly in the sights of recruiters with his game in the Young Guns game as well. Really came on this year and was an effective midfielder.
Why Dogs: I think Jackson would be a player they could develop over a few years for their midfield extraction.
Similar to: Young Jude Bolton
Roughie: Sam Menagola

Selection # 92 (GEELONG)
Pass

Selection # 93 (ST KILDA)
Tom Walsh– Rookie Promotion

Selection # 94 (COLLINGWOOD)
Tom Young – NSW Scholar Programme
....my local boy...very happy for him. Will be terrific player

Selection # 95 (COLLINGWOOD)
Jarryd Blair – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 96 (ESSENDON)
Ben Howlett – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 97 (MELBOURNE)
Jake Spencer – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 98 (ADELAIDE)
Luke Thompson – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 99 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Kyle Hartigan – Werribee/ 194cm /93kg

Profile : 19 yo who was very unlucky not to be drafted last year from the Jets for mine and to be fair I am still a little unsure as to why....thats not surprising given I also thought Temel would get taken at least in the Rookie. Did have some injuries leading in so may have had something to do with it but it was a big fall given at the start of ’09 many thought he was top 20-25 as well as an AIS grad. Good solid CHB type who spent much of the offseason trying to get to Werribee. Finally got their and has had an injury plagued year. Has played some good footy though and should have proven to the AFL scouts he is ready to step up given some of the jobs he did this year on quality fwds. Got good agility and is strong defensively in the air. Skills aren’t elite but they are good enough IMO. May well end up as a rookie but he will be somewhere in the mix for a number of clubs.
Why North: Kid could probably walk into a CHB role next year so would think a club with that need would be interested. Collingwood might be one, Hawks another and maybe even Essendon in preparation for Fletcher’s departure and as some insuranceSimilar to: Nathan Grima
Roughie: Jake von Bertouch

Selection # 100 (CARLTON)
Jeff Gartlett – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 101 (FREMANTLE)
Alex Silvagni – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 102 (GOLD COAST)
Jake Batchelor – Dandenony Stingrays / 187cm / 82kg

Profile : Lovely player who reads the play well and is prepared to take the game on. Reminds me of Marty Mattner with his poise and composure and just has that penetrating kick Marty has as well. Originally had him higher but testing results may push him back. Very talented though and should go.
Why Suns: Will appreciate that tallish defender who can mark talls and smalls but is also attacking and will provide dash and good skills from HB.
Similar to: Martin Mattner
Roughie: Ryan Gamble

Selection # 103 (ADELAIDE)
Ricky Henderson - Rookie Promotion

Selection # 104 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Ben Speight – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 105 (CARLTON)
David Ellard – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 106 (FREMANTLE)
Jay van Berlo – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 107 (NORTH MELBOURNE)
Marcus White – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 108 – (FREMANTLE)
Michael Barlow – Rookie Promotion

Selection # 109 (GOLD COAST)
Matthew Rankine – West Adelaide/ 179cm / 70kg

Profile : Represented SA in the champs and was pretty impressive. Got a DC invite and would appeal to clubs as a quick small fwd who is willing to take the game on. One of things that I like about the bloke is his willingness to do little things like apply fwd pressure and get up in the tackle count. In a game where ‘role players’ and structure are important it might be these little things that clubs put a lot of weight on. Skills are good and probably plays a bit taller with his leap than most at his height but he desperately needs some weight on him.
Draft Range: Late to Rookie
Why Suns: Attacking small fwd who played well at champs and might give them some more fwd options

Selection # 110 (BULLDOGS)
Andrew Hooper - Rookie Promotion

A couple of mistakes on the Dogs front mate, you have Wallis at both 22 and 40 and Hooper won't be upgraded until at least pick 108 as Dalrymple has already said we will be using picks 72, 90 and 91 at add to our list(and I would put Puopolo down for one of these picks if he is still available).

Unlucky

As I said before this was as close as its ever been. It is very even after 30 so there are quite a few;

Jimmi Savage - 18yo from Norwood u18's who is a terrific key fwd prospect. Runs like the wind, can take a contested mark and seems to run to the right spots. Skills look good but its the leap and contested marking that pushes him into the frame I think.

Jordan Schroder - Calder mid who didn't get many accolades given those he was playing with. Good ball getter and racks up the touches. Little bit like Tom Hunter last year and should get rocked at least.

Keifer Yu - I missed this kid in my unlucky's. HF type from WA who was very good early in year before injuring his knee I think. Came back late in season and put some good performances together.

Ed Curnow - super start to VFL year before season ending knee. Would appear to be a better player than when originally drafted but the injury is the unknown. Otherwise would have been a certainty for me.

Aaron Sweet - I think he is 21yo now. Was highly rated in his draft year and then as a 19yo and was fancied by many. Took a year off and came back this year and dominated as a ball winning mid with good pace.

Dan Noonan - mature age player from Old Xavs who had a standout year in the VAFA as a key defender and is reportedly on the lists of a few AFL scouts.

Jandre Slabbert - North Ballarat Rebels key defender who made the Country side I think and had some pretty decent performances. Didnt get a screen so unlikely I guess but does most things pretty well and it wouldnt surprise me to see him go.

Isiah Stevens - Excitement machine from WA who has a super leap and terrific skill level. Consistency the issue. Big chance to go late though because he has massive x factor. Bit like Peterson.

Kirk Ugle - Tiny little fella who I would have liked to have gotten in. Have seen little but locals tell me very good and a very good chance to go. Tested incredibly well at SS.

Jackson Sketcher – Joint winner of the Morrish but didnt get a screening invite but had a very good year obviously and showed significant development. Very workman like player who can win own footy and collects a heap of the ball.

Jarrod Ninyette – mature age WAFL player who has terrific pace and skill. Been a fan all year and have had him on the list up to the last minute but saw his WAFL GF game and just not sure I saw enough. Does possess some x factor though and would be surprised if he went to Swans or Crows.

Kieran Butcher - Capt of WA side who plays midfield and can certainly play but more a rookie shot for me as he doesn’t have a standout feature. Much like Hutchings / Carey from last year.

Andrew Phillips - Tassie ruck who I think is more a rookie but I aint great with ruck prospects. Has reasonable mobility a but super hands. Probably doesn’t do enough around the park.

Leif Cope – Tallest player at camp I think who has huge potential as a ruck prospect and wouldn’t surprise if Saints, Melbourne, Collingwood or Richmond took him. Maybe needs to get his possession rate up a bit.

Stephen Witkowsi - Northern Knights kid who impressed every time I saw him. Utility type who could play back or middle. Few cm taller and would be right in the mix.

Jackson Coleman - Son of Glen. 6ft 5 tall fwd playing at Hailebury and hasn't played any footy at TAC level. Has contract with Cricket Vic so not sure which way he goes but if it's AFL expect him to go high.

Jordan Treloar – Not talked about much but saw him a few times in defence with the Knights. Probably 1-2cm short for key defensive post but very safe. Good mark and execution seemed pretty good. Probably very underrated and tested well.

Adam Oxley - Qld midfielder who went really well at Champs and showed an ability to go fwd and kick a goal. Had him right in the mix early but wonder what is the feature that gets him drafted.

Tom Bell – Jeremy Laidler type who plays HB and is from Qld who I think shows a lot of potential and who I had in the list originally. Aggressive, strong body, hunts the pill but skills are only average.

Sam Gray - Nippy small fwd / Mid type from SA who had a good champs and shows some ability. Lot like the SA kid that went to Freo a year or two ago. Needs some weight.

Arryn Sipposs - Clever fwd from the Stingrays who is a good mark and an opportunist around goals.
Cameron Johnston – Had him in the mix for Carlton last pick before white promotion. Medium fwd who has a monster right foot. Very Steve J like.

Charlie Riewoldt – Another HF type from Tas and kid shows a fair bit as he has an ability to do some special things the knock for me is the gulf between best and worst is pretty large. Has his fans though and is a chance for national draft but a certainly for rookie.

Liam Rutledge - Haven't seen much of him this year but was a certainty for me this time last year. Plays HF and has a good goal sense. Quigley – where is he at? ....has been retained on the Suns list.

Matt Clarke – Wont get selected i suspect but dominated at QAFL level this year. Running HB with a big tank and excellent skills. Had a breakout year but probably not enough tricks to get a spot.

Riley Heddles - HB type from Dandy who had a really good year and was someone I wanted to get in the list but just couldn’t find a spot. Hopefully will get rookie.

Devin McFarlane – Hard it it type who is a little challenged in the height stakes but is a good mover and has a super left boot. Wouldnt be surprised if I had a few WA posters take me to task on leaving him out.

Dylan Conway – Versatile type who mainly plays HF and ticks a few boxes. Good mark, kick like Fev on him and does the little things like chasing. Should be a rookie but wouldn’t be surprised a club sees something in him they like.

Chris Luff – Missed last year but has had a good year in the WAFL. Clubs needing a FB should have him on the radar and wouldn’t be surprised to see him taken.

Jarryd Lyons – Onballer for the Dragons who could be a smoky. Played vs Werribee and went well. Has good pace, runs hard and skills are fine.

Alex Ellisoeu - Haven't seen much of him but what I have seen suggests would be in the minds as a small midfielder who has pace and skill.

Ken Campbell – Few will have seen but a very exciting HB type from SA who has a heap of pace and skill. Went to SS and wouldn’t surprise if Carlton or Richmond selected him as they are 2 clubs looking for some pace off HB.

Corey Buchan – Medium fwd who burst onto scene with Rays and got fed a lot of good ball. Lots of x factor and is someone that has a lot of footy smarts and savinness. Kicked some bags but probably didn’t play well enough against the better sides for mine.

Jayden Schofield - Colts team of the year member who has plenty of aggro and showed good form late in the year. Havent seen him but another the locals like and has a bit of the Max Rooke's.

Rowan Brookes - Saw him at Champs and loved him. Lots of pace and savvy around the contest. More a rookie chance. Very Milne like.

Nathan Phillips – Had him going to the Pies on very good mail but more likely to happen in Rookie Draft. Wouldnt be unhappy if we landed him as a midfielder who hurts offensively. Really come on this year after switching clubs and ACL is repairing well so is a chance.

Darcy Armfield – Showed a bit at the champs, I think he kicked 5 in the wet vs WA and another who just missed. If a horse race, arguably better claims than Johnston, Mellington etc.

Steve Summerton – I think he is Capt at Port, midfielder who can play in and out and can hurt offensively. Terrific player but issue will be does he have enough for AFL Level. Would love to see GWS draft him for their State league side

Tom Schneider – Terrific player who won metro MVP I think. Inside mid who gets it and uses it but just thought more rookie than National but will get a spot. Can also hurt offensively.

Matt Jones – WA ruck prospect who was on show at Champs and did some nice things around the park with his left foot and good hands but I just didn’t see him win enough tap outs or get it to advantage. Would leave him develop in WAFL and look at later.

David Kruse - Attacking defender from NT who I think would be a real chance at AFL. Could see the Saints or Dogs taking him. Put some weight on him and plays a bit like Gilbert.

Joel ODriscoll – Saw him at champs a couple of times and is a winger from WA side who seems to run hard. Skills under pressure ok and no obvious weaknesses. I like him but maybe have missed something.

Kory Beard - Port CHB who I think will get a rookie spot. 21yo, takes a good mark and decent skills. Hoping Pies take him in the rookie.

Nathan Read - key defender from QLD who I know one bloke on this forum rates pretty highly.

Jake Crawford - Key defender from QLD who had some fine performances at the Champs and kept a few big names pretty quiet. has been retained on the Suns list

Callum Sinclair - Port Melb Ruck / KPF who had a pretty good seas one and in a year which lacks ruck depth along with the new sub rule this guy kind of stands out. I didnt include in the National Draft bc I am still not convinced he is physically imposing or consistent enough but it only takes one club to say we need him. Late draft / rookie shot.

Jacob Gilbee - struggled leaving him out bc his Champ results were v good. Started as a defender and finished as a HF with some excellent results. Quicker than you think and very agile. Also has the ability to finish. I think he is a rookie.

Michael Hutchison - QLD defensive tall who tested incredily well and been at the forefront of recruiters minds for a while. He could well be a late pick by someone that loves the speed and thinks they can teach him a few of the defensive aspects.

Caleb Shadbolt - was in the mix as an 18yo who is now a mature age WAFL player who had a very good season and given speed and ability to execute might find himself on an AFL list. WAFL is a happy hunting ground for mature age mids and he could be one this year.

Dean MacDonald – Gippy FF who had a good year but again that awkward height and not sure where he goes. Again has a bit of the MacAffers and is probably agile enough to play a few different roles. Very good 1:1.

A couple of mistakes on the Dogs front mate, you have Wallis at both 22 and 40 and Hooper won't be upgraded until at least pick 108 as Dalrymple has already said we will be using picks 72, 90 and 91 at add to our list(and I would put Puopolo down for one of these picks if he is still available).

thanks mate - I started a thread and was told they would only be using the three so have now altered. Was good bc I wanted those blokes and a few others in.

Brilliant read as always. One of the annual highlights of BigFooty for mine. For quibbles I reckon North will go with an outside quick mid first if possible.

Good read as always, but not sure we have that many picks. Speight is being elevated and even if Rawlings moves to the vets list we would only have 3 picks (Smith, Benjamin, Jones, Hale, Harding out, Richardson & Mckinley in) so we would use 17, compo & 69 with Speight promoted with pick 71. Of course we could delist some more but I can't see it

I also agree with SLF we need a quick mid. Can't see us drafting a KPF with our first pick, we will go with Hansen and Petrie this year with the rucks spending plenty of time up forward with the new interchance rules and we also have Black & O'Keefe developing and Tarrant. In fact don't know many, if any, north fans that would go for a KPF first up, its quite clear where our deficiencies are. We'll possibly be looking for a ruck late on or in the rookie draft. Most would be very happy with Smith at the compo pick though

Very impressive effort. Just to clear up afew errors for you ..Jacobs will go to 12,Mickie,otten will go much later, Gordon has been assessed as too slow(3.20) 20 metre sprint and will not be drafted.

Puopolo from sanfl will go top 40 and Reilly from the dragons will go top 50.

Also there is an ammo player who will go as well around mid forties.
Siposss will be gone by 40

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Snoops. I like your Brisbane selections. Well reasoned. Just a small observation for the Lions.
In your description for Prestia you have us taking Polec yet you have picked Heppel. Did you change your mind and forgot to adjust down the line?
Also, you have us taking almost exclusively Victorians (Tape the exception) and majority metro guys. Historically Brisbane does not recruit from Melbourne Metropolitan teams. (Bad history of loosing them or paying extraordinary salaries to keep the Vic clubs at bay. See Riska)

However we love our Vic country boys. So Heppell is a monty.

I suspect in the real thing our picks will be much more diversified selections and coming from all parts of Australia.

Great job.

And this is why I did mine early. There just isn't any point in trying to follow Snoop.

A bit disappointed neither von Bertouch or Sippos got a spot in your draft, I do like that you mentioned Kirk Ugle and Ken Campbell in your unlucky section though.

From a Fremantle perspective, we are overflowing with attacking half backs. I do like Batley on a wing or even playing deeper in defence, and his speed would be a more than welcome addition. If we viewed him as just a half back, then I can guarantee we wouldn't take him. But still, him or Mullet would be a good pick at this stage.

Nice looking draft for the Saints, would be rather happy with that. Not sure if St Kilda will draft three players, especially if we do promote Tommy Walsh since we've already committed to elevating Tom Simpkin, but would certainly be happy with Lycett and Michie.

A fantastic read.

While I might differ on a few of the names you've got pegged for the Lions, I think you've got the blend pretty damn close. :thumbsu:

Brilliant read Snoop, nice to see Casley gets a nod. 8 goals in two VFL games should get clubs noticing him (Dons & Port already at least).

Seeing where Puopolo goes will be interesting too. Glad we picked up a key back to try and develop in your mock.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back