Games & Recreation GD Debating Competition: Round 2 Draw, Results and Subsequent Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumbi

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Clarence United, Spurs, The Heart
Evening Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Round 2 of the Inaugral GD Debating Competition. The First round of debates has now ended, and we can forge onto the tantelising conclusion.

Before I go on however, I would like to pay tribute to posters who are no longer with us; Invigoration and r dub 19.

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be ever at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face
and the rain fall softly on your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Goodnight Sweet Princes, you will be sorely missed.

On with the show!

I will link MelanieJ's epic post here, which has all the results of the First Round.

debatecopy.jpg

Some juicy match ups this round, as the cream slowly rises to the top.

A revisit of the rules.

- The same process as before; PM argument -> Receive Oppositions Argument -> Send Rebuttal

- Word limit for initial argument is 200-300 (180-330 words acceptable under 10% rule).

- Word limit for rebuttal is 50-200 (45-220 acceptable)

I would appreciate if you could submit a word count at the bottom of your argument and rebuttal.

-
I have noticed that some debates are now being overpowered by images. Try and keep imagery to a minimum if possible, as the strength of your debate should lie with your prose. Same goes for videos (> 30 seconds). Update: There will be a limit of 3 images for your initial argument and two images for your rebuttal.

- Judges, the voting format will stay the same for this round. A simple who and why? will be sufficient.

- Keep it clean

- Posters will remain anonymous to the judges.

Judges for Round 2:

Pool 1:
omit, Power King, c00lcat
Pool 2: Dales.Girl, Ochre, Lazarus

Emergency Judges: GrizzlyM/Messenger, Chickawah, Freakie, MattMan93

Time Limits: Now this one is a biggie. Its a very busy time of the year, and some people might find it difficult over the coming weeks to get their s**t together. If that is the case, I say fair enough. For that reason, i'm not going to put a definite time constraint on this round, however I just encourage participants to let me know if they are going to encounter difficulties.

I will send out topics tonight if people desire them.

Post if I have missed something.

Original expression of interest and draw thread here.

IndieBet Odds:

Overall Winner:

Pfft, no one cares all the posters of interest were knocked out in the first round.:eek::p

What are you disliking?

Warning: The following post may be filled with the truth. Truth breeds hatred.

I'm disliking the fact that a coherent post that argued the topic was trumped by some pictures associated with thin-legged individuals. As Dr. Phil once said 'I may not have any "qualifications," but the argument for the affirmative was better in every conceivable way.'

When debating a topic you must first debate the topic. As far as I'm concerned that should be the end of it right there. If you want to look deeper and ignore that debates actually have a topic there is still no competition. The affirmative's argument was well laid out, concise, had good use of examples that are contextually important, use of humour. If the pictures aspect is what you are looking at Pez came back nicely with some rather delicious photos in the rebuttal after seeing the negatives 4Chan dump disguised as an opening argument. The affirmatives pictures were both humerous, tactful and related to the topic.

I won't go into too much depth concerning the negative, because I'm sure people are offended enough already. The opening and closing posts of the negative did not address the topic and abused the image guidelines to a point where they were overused and impact was lost, also it just wasn't funny. The opening argument consists of:

-Dat ASS :)thumbsu: good topical reference).
-Some men have skinny legs, some men have big legs.
-Pictures relating to the aforementioned discovery.
--> Concluding paragraph saying that somewhere sandwiched between 50 gigs of visual aid his post had proven skinny jeans to be unacceptable, loose jeans are also unacceptable; wear Levis.
:confused:

In conclusion, I am a douche.

I'm disliking the fact that a coherent post that argued the topic was trumped by some pictures associated with thin-legged individuals. As Dr. Phil once said 'I may not have any "qualifications," but the argument for the affirmative was better in every conceivable way.'

When debating a topic you must first debate the topic. As far as I'm concerned that should be the end of it right there. If you want to look deeper and ignore that debates actually have a topic there is still no competition. The affirmative's argument was well laid out, concise, had good use of examples that are contextually important, use of humour. If the pictures aspect is what you are looking at Pez came back nicely with some rather delicious photos in the rebuttal after seeing the negatives 4Chan dump disguised as an opening argument. The affirmatives pictures were both humerous, tactful and related to the topic.

I won't go into too much depth concerning the negative, because I'm sure people are offended enough already. The opening and closing posts of the negative did not address the topic and abused the image guidelines to a point where they were overused and impact was lost, also it just wasn't funny. The opening argument consists of:

--> Concluding paragraph saying that somewhere sandwiched between 50 gigs of visual aid his post had proven skinny jeans to be unacceptable, loose jeans are also unacceptable; wear Levis.

12254a885fadccc3b.gif

I was hoping this might've been what you were disliking, and i'm glad someone else agrees with me. I thought the 'yes' argument was far stronger, and if anyone read my tl;dr verdict they'd probably know that too. I kind of wish we hadn't closed the last thread yet to see what the majority of people thought.

IndieBet Odds:

Overall Winner:

Pfft, no one cares all the posters of interest were knocked out in the first round.:eek::p

I guess that says a lot about you then.

Quality post!

I will declare this the winning post & appoint this the winner if the judging will be based on the any thinking related to the above comments.

Pumbi good comments also.

Don't want to sound like I'm following the herd or have anything against Damon but he got comprehensively beaten i feel

Sort of agree with the above posts, lols are important but if you haven't convinced me with the text, I can't give you my vote.

I don't get how btg got in before juddsetant?

Is that the end of the judging for me now? Good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sort of agree with the above posts, lols are important but if you haven't convinced me with the text, I can't give you my vote.

I don't get how btg got in before juddsetant?

Is that the end of the judging for me now? Good!

Without trying to sound bitter. It seems silly that Beatlesmith and BTG could verse each other again next round. BTG was disqualified and rightfully so, if anything he should be the last poster to go through to the next round (don't permaban me please). Some BattleRoyal of a sort should be put in place between the eliminated competitors. The process could be even simpler by re electing me. It's what RDub would've wanted

Still don't understand BtG getting gifted a spot in the next round*.

Thought Gus & Clive would be just as worthy 2nd chance recipients.

Anyway, looking forward to some juicy 2nd round match-ups, in particular;

GOEAGLES08 vs Mel
Hard Ball Get vs Gogriff
Caesar vs The Stinger

*Confusion may/may not be the result of fear, should I somehow manage to knock off beatlesmith, and have to face Ben in the quarters.

Thanks Ben.

Still don't understand BtG getting gifted a spot in the next round*.

Thought Gus & Clive would be just as worthy 2nd chance recipients.

Anyway, looking forward to some juicy 2nd round match-ups, in particular;

GOEAGLES08 vs Mel
Hard Ball Get vs Gogriff
Caesar vs The Stinger

*Confusion may/may not be the result of fear, should I somehow manage to knock off beatlesmith, and have to face Ben in the quarters.

Thanks Ben.

I havnt even had a debate. but you assume that my matchup will be juicy.

i will walk all over mel*

*wont walk over her as she lievs in melboune.

The judges made their decision, and I'm pleased that I won, but I'm also happy to open the voting up to everyone re: me vs. ThePezDispenser. If more posters prefer his argument (and to be honest, my first "argument" was more about having a laugh than being anything thought out, watertight or convincing), then I'll happily sacrifice my spot to him.

The judges made their decision, and I'm pleased that I won, but I'm also happy to open the voting up to everyone re: me vs. ThePezDispenser. If more posters prefer his argument (and to be honest, my first "argument" was more about having a laugh than being anything thought out, watertight or convincing), then I'll happily sacrifice my spot to him.

I wasn't meaning anything personal in my critique, Damon. Apologies if I came off too strong. Reopening the debate isn't really an option; the judges chose you as the winner fair and square. Just because a few of us are leaning towards Pez shouldn't impact on the integrity of the competition. Up to Pumbi anyways :p

Even though I personally think Pez's argument was stronger, letting the winner be decided by the public after the judges' have made a decision is not a precedent that we want set if we value the integrity of this competition at all. If we do, every debate could be questioned and the purpose of the judges would be nullified.

I wasn't meaning anything personal in my critique, Damon. Apologies if I came off too strong. Reopening the debate isn't really an option; the judges chose you as the winner fair and square. Just because a few of us are leaning towards Pez shouldn't impact on the integrity of the competition. Up to Pumbi anyways :p

Don't worry, I wasn't taking it personally :D Just saying that I was aiming moreso for teh lulz than any sort of proper thought-out argument. All good though :thumbsu:

Even though I personally think Pez's argument was stronger, letting the winner be decided by the public after the judges' have made a decision is not a precedent that we want set if we value the integrity of this competition at all. If we do, every debate could be questioned and the purpose of the judges would be nullified.

Yea fair call, just thought I'd put the offer out there.

Don't worry, I wasn't taking it personally :D Just saying that I was aiming moreso for teh lulz than any sort of proper thought-out argument. All good though :thumbsu:

Yea fair call, just thought I'd put the offer out there.

**** i sound like a w***er in my last post hahha, but nuh props to you for offering up the idea of a public vote, but as woopedazz said you won fair and square so you should go through :thumbsu:

my 2c

Pez's argument was a little like watching corny TV ads or any other kind of mainstream advertising.

"Hey everybody, look! - Russell Brand and Gene Simmons and Zac Effron wear skinny jeans, they're like, totally cool :thumbsu: you should like them too!"

No offence but we cop enough product advertising through the use of celebrities and I can't stand it. No offence Pez :p

Both guys went off topic though, I actually had to go back and check who's argument I was reading.

/armchair expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back