Help Question regarding links/promotion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just curious on the rules on posting links to another site (The Big Tip). It's basically a site where you write articles and, with enough views, make some money. The money comes from betting agencies who sponsor the site - nothing illegal or anything.

I've been red carded twice for posting a link to the site, so I get that it's not allowed.

I still see links to the site however, (DaVe86's Brock McLean topic on the main board is the first to come to mind) so is this just a 'wrong thread, wrong time' occurrence for me, or do different mods seem to carry different opinions on rules such as this?

Just seeking some clarification here.

I posted a few links to articles written by my mates a couple of times, we don't even have advertising on our site so make no money. However I was warned and I understand the rules so I haven't done anything untoward since.

I love BF too much and I'm happy to pay my membership.

I posted a few links to articles written by my mates a couple of times, we don't even have advertising on our site so make no money. However I was warned and I understand the rules so I haven't done anything untoward since.

I love BF too much and I'm happy to pay my membership.

Hmm...I've never been warned. First time round was a red card on the spot.

Second time my thread got deleted, which I assumed was me posting the thread and closing my laptop, causing the thread not to be processed, so I posted it again.

Yet I still see threads which really frustrates me.

The *************** filter thing is annoying and weird, not sure why it is filtered at all.

We are careful to ensure BigFooty isn't spammed with links. We've even blocked accounts of paying advertisers when they posted too many links across the boards.

It is difficult to respond to an individual post about this as I don't know the background. Often people will post multiple messages linking to a site they are affiliated with, not to share valuable information but to promote their own site. Other times they will PM people, who report it to me as spam.

In these cases we block the URL.

Best method: Let people find your content, and if they like it enough to share it with friends that's fine.

You can also put a link in your sig and take part in threads as normal. Putting a link in your sig and posting "yeah, I agree with your post" in twenty different threads isn't helping anyone.

Start a blog on BF and post some of your content, with a link to your web site.

If nobody ever talks about your site on BigFooty, try harder. Make better content. Do more SEO and AdWords advertising. Build a following and people will share. Trying to build a following by "sharing" your links in BigFooty threads is putting the cart before the horse.

So Chief, it basically just depends on whether it's spammed?

For example, if I started a topic with my article saying 'Check my article out. Thanks.' and contributing next to nothing, it's spam, but if I posted an article saying 'What do you guys think? Should blah blah blah blah blah?' and using that to create a discussion, it's fine?

You seem unsure how to discuss an issue or idea like a normal human being instead of someone trying to game the rules.

Post your ideas, thoughts and arguments and put your site link in your sig.

If people think you're worth following they'll see you have more material on your site and follow the link.

Posting a scrap of discussion with a suggestion that people follow a link to get the full picture is not necessary - this isn't Twitter.

You've got a lot of space in a BigFooty post to make your point, so trying to force people to go elsewhere to interact with you is not a generous way to promote your site. And in the end it doesn't work - people only have so much time and often ignore links from partial content unless they're really interested in it.

Look at the number of times people respond to a post with only an extract from a news story without ever clicking through and reading the news story. I wonder what a search for the phrase "if you'd bothered to read the article" would produce? Here it is.

The only way to really build a following is to be generous with your thoughts and then provide a link for people to explore more of your output once you've hooked them. If you're not getting clicks, you're obviously not interesting enough for people to spend their precious time clicking. Try harder. Be more original and insightful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your input Chief, will take it all on board. :thumbsu:
Sites looking to build a following are competing with tens of thousands of other users on BF who don't ask people to click a link to read more. You've got to stand out to get noticed, not just stick a link in your posts.

Starting a blog with some of your articles is a good way to get a regular following of people who will eventually click your link. Or, if your blog is interesting and regular enough, you might be invited to appear on the home page.

Hi all, I've seen the odd post from people that have no access to watching AFL games because of living overseas etc.

I know of a good sports streaming site that I use myself cause I don't have FOX.

Can someone please let me know if I can or cannot post the link or just give the name to the site?

The site streams everything from soccer, AFL, cricket, racing, MMA (UFC 189 was awesome!), boxing and everything in between (all Sky channels).

Hi all, I've seen the odd post from people that have no access to watching AFL games because of living overseas etc.

I know of a good sports streaming site that I use myself cause I don't have FOX.

Can someone please let me know if I can or cannot post the link or just give the name to the site?

The site streams everything from soccer, AFL, cricket, racing, MMA (UFC 189 was awesome!), boxing and everything in between (all Sky channels).
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/help/terms

No illegal content; respect copyright owners.
  • No hacks, torrents, file swapping, or requesting of same from us or other users.
  • No illegal match video or audio streams, or requesting of same from us or other users.
  • Articles from other sites should be limited to a relevant paragraph or two and a link to the source.
  • No drug use talk or similar. You might get away with contextual mentions or relevant discussion but otherwise leave it out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back