Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Essendon are in a real slump right now, and have proven they cannot keep up the form they showed during the preseason and in the early rounds. There is no doubt in my mind they are a team on the rise, and have alot of talented youngsters. We come into the game as favourites but I am seriously concerned. With no Gilham, Stratton, Bateman, Young, Franklin and Roughead, we are missing our spine this year and our two starting wingers.

I believe if we didnt play Gold coast on the weekend the pressure by the media would be placed on us. Instead Essendon are the team looking for a rebound and Hawthorn are being backed as favourites regardless of our injuries and the Franklin suspension.

I hope my fears do not come to fruition, but we are surely starting firmly behind the eight ball this week.

Suprisingly not that worried. yes we are down a number of key players, but we still have some big guns that Essendon cannot match and if we can win the battle in the middle we should be OK. With Max up and about and the ripping form of Mitchell, Sewell, Shiels and Savage we should dominate the centre clearances. This year has also shown we have plenty more goal kicking options than just Buddy, and if Bruest, Rioli, Savage, Osborne and Smith can bag 2-3 each we can kick a winning score.:thumbsu:

The lack of spine worries me. (Anyone know where Schoey is at?)

That said, if we can get a cameo from Lisle and all the others do what they are paid to do(Cyril in particular) we should be ok.

Youd reckon they would bring Hille back in and exploit our lack of height.

They will be desperate. Really desperate.

Worried, Essendon will have a big chance this week with so many Hawks out. need a good start cause they havent been to flash lately

Last year when the Scums were under the pump by the media the whole week, they came out and belted us by 6 goals, i hope we have learnt by that night and not take these Scums lightly..

Surprisingly not worried. Essendon have their own issues to deal with, and Hardingham being suspending is a blow for them as well. We're playing good footy, and Franklin wasn't a huge contributor on the weekend. Will be good for the team to be looking for other options.

Not worried at all.

Franko hasn't dominated for a few games, and we seem to be going okay without him doing that. They have quite a few outs as well, and are out of form.

Confident we can get the job done.

Maybe you should watch saturday's game again.

Buddy kicked 3.4 but at least 6 goals were scored off his lead up contests that he didn't win but created chances for the smalls.

Not sure who's doing that job on Friday night.

Very worried.

Maybe you should watch saturday's game again.

Buddy kicked 3.4 but at least 6 goals were scored off his lead up contests that he didn't win but created chances for the smalls.

Not sure who's doing that job on Friday night.

Very worried.

I was watching your game on Foxtel and noticed the same thing. He really does create opportunities for your smaller forwards.

I heard after the game that Hurley had calf problems. Havent heard anything since but if he was missing that would almost offset the Franklin loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprisingly not worried. Essendon have their own issues to deal with, and Hardingham being suspending is a blow for them as well. We're playing good footy, and Franklin wasn't a huge contributor on the weekend. Will be good for the team to be looking for other options.

Pretty sure they have a few key players out with Hurley (Calf) and Hooker (Hamstring) so that will work to our favour. Hurley may play and Ryder looks in terrible form.

I'm confident our forward line will stand up with Lilse and Rioli/Breust, but if Shoenmakers doesn't come up we could be in real strife in the back half.

I wonder if Williams will get a game with Hardingham out. Named in the best in the VFL on the weekend.

Am a bit worried tbh, but at the same time still confident.
It is going to take a pretty special effort by a few to get us over the line.
Having said that, there are still many in the side capable of putting in and getting us across the line.
Might be time a few seniors players put in a big one.

I'd be worried even if we had a full list to choose from.

THey get up for us. And Hirdy will be on them for this one, make no mistake.

Essendon have everything to play for.

the last game i was confident about winning was the '07 final against the kangaroo's. That's no word of a lie either. And, generally in life i'm fairly optimistic. Something about footy though, that makes me go a little crazy :p

Definately worried this weekend. Should get 55k?

For those who are saying Buddy hasn't had much of an influence of late so therefore we won't miss him much vs Essendon, take a look at this stat.

In Buddy's last 7 games vs Essendon, he's kicked 40.18 including two bags of 9. That's an average of 5.71 goals per game. And we can't forget those two brillant running goals last year.

I don't know what it is, but Buddy usually has a field day vs Essendon regardless of how well he is travelling. To say we won't miss him because he hasn't been setting the football world on fire of late is underestimating his impact on the game.

He's a big loss, and with no Roughead to back up, question marks on Shoey's fitness which may force Lisle down back again. Or if Lisle does play forward, will he get over his kicking yips and actually kick one for a change? Now's the time to stand up! To many keys missing and too many question marks for my liking.

So yes I am worried about the game. The mounting injury toll after it seems were finally getting back on track after 2 wasted years concerns me a lot.

For those who are saying Buddy hasn't had much of an influence of late so therefore we won't miss him much vs Essendon, take a look at this stat.

In Buddy's last 7 games vs Essendon, he's kicked 40.18 including two bags of 9. That's an average of 5.71 goals per game. And we can't forget those two brillant running goals last year.

I don't know what it is, but Buddy usually has a field day vs Essendon regardless of how well he is travelling. To say we won't miss him because he hasn't been setting the football world on fire of late is underestimating his impact on the game.

He's a big loss, and with no Roughead to back up, question marks on Shoey's fitness which may force Lisle down back again. Or if Lisle does play forward, will he get over his kicking yips and actually kick one for a change? Now's the time to stand up! To many keys missing and too many question marks for my liking.

So yes I am worried about the game. The mounting injury toll after it seems were finally getting back on track after 2 wasted years concerns me a lot.

Buddy would of had a field day this Friday night, but because of his stupidity he can sit back and prey his mistake wont cost his team a very important game..

the setup in the forward line is going to be very intriguing imo, depending on schoey playing, if he does it will be lisle and hale/bailey, if he doesnt i think we will go with the 1 tall (hale) and surround him with a bevy of mobile smalls with a mobile semi tall like a murphy, this could get under their guard. There is no way murphy will play key position in the backline and i think clarko will send him forward for this game, is a good mark and reads to game pretty well. Guerra is going to have to take crameri imo (which murphy would have been perfectly suited to in normal circumstances) has the big body to compete on the ground and is solid enough in the air, gibbo and lisle to take ryder and hurley (if he plays). We can still minimise the damage there talls could do as long as we dominate the midfield which i think we will.

No, we can't :(

You guys should be right. Having so many bigs out for you is no doubt a blessing in disguise for mine. Whilst very few, if any, of them are big, slow cumbersome types, this will likely force you to go small, and we have absolutely no chance against that. Unfortunately, even though he plays BP, Hardingham is one of our most explosive type players, and he's out. We are the slowest of slow sides, and yet still try to implement the forward press which involves sprinting and laying constant pressure. The side we keeping picking simply cannot do that, teams kick it over our press and stroll in to open goal after open goal.

To go along with this, our forward line is as dysfunction as it gets. Nobody leads, and even if they did, nobody actually can hit someone on the lead. With no crumbers in the team except for Jetta, that's a pretty bad combination. Williams has to be in the side for mine, no matter what his attitude, these are the 2 things that he's actually good at and does (You would know more about this than I).

Three of the last four weeks our opponent has got a beat-up in the media (eg: Melbourne soft) and come out and dominated. It'd be nice to actually be on the delivering end of that for a change. Expect a fired up Essendon, but no change in the gameplan or structure will see the hawks by plenty :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back