Will Hawthorn suddenly be interested in coach discussions?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pinpoint Pass

Team Captain
Apr 13, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
With Neil Craig gone and you would imagine Bailey a big chance as well will Hawthorn be spooked into coach discussions with Clarkson, even though they have maintained all year they won't until years end?

I don't think Adelaide are going to just appoint a Bickley or Goodwin but will be pretty thorough in their search.

Will be interesting....

With Neil Craig gone and you would imagine Bailey a big chance as well will Hawthorn be spooked into coach discussions with Clarkson, even though they have maintained all year they won't until years end?

I don't think Adelaide are going to just appoint a Bickley or Goodwin but will be pretty thorough in their search.

Will be interesting....

Its his decision not to sign yet.
He wont be going anywhere, hes a hawk

I doubt it. The Hawks are doing very well (taking injuries into account) and he seems like he's become a Hawk man. He won't be going anywhere ...

Clarkson is focused on one thing in 2011, and that's bringing home a Premiership, so the answer is definitely NO!!!

He will sign a new deal at years end, so let's stop talking about it and worry about the footy.

I find it amusing that there is a suggestion if Adelaide or the Power want Clarko, all they have to do is make an offer. I would doubt very much he'd be interested in coaching either at this point in time. I think the new Adelaide Coach will be someone currently in an Assistant Coaching role at another club .. and someone who hasn't played for the club.

Camrys will have to go for Goodwin you would think. Spoken of very highly by everyone that has had contact with him at Essendon.

Most assistants have a release clause if a senior job comes up and he has business interests back in RADelaide so you know it makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it amusing that there is a suggestion if Adelaide or the Power want Clarko, all they have to do is make an offer. I would doubt very much he'd be interested in coaching either at this point in time. I think the new Adelaide Coach will be someone currently in an Assistant Coaching role at another club .. and someone who hasn't played for the club.

Totally agree with your line of thinking, and TBH they really need to explore that option. The Club needs a massive cleanout and someone with the BALL's to make it happen. Don't think that can happen within.

Why would the Hawks be 'spooked' into starting discussions? It's not like Clarko, a coach of a top 4 team, is going to step down mid-season to go coach Adelaide, a bottom 4 club.

Same thing for Melbourne. Why would he consider stepping down now in hope that Bailey is sacked/resigns and he can be 1st in line for the Melbourne job.

Both clubs' coaching positions won't be decided to after the season (including finals as they know there is a possibility they could snag Clarko so they'll wait), so why would Hawthorn go and sign him now? Makes no sense :confused:

Coach hawthorn who are in premiership contention, next contract will be good $$$ for his decision to wait at seasons ends to discuss, Spent years drilling his gameplan in the hard works done, all he has to do is hold the reigns and maybe in 3 years time if nothing else comes about it he could switch jobs

What he wont do is go to Adelaide who are bottom of the ladder and are going to spend another 2 years down the bottom for roughly the same amount of $$$ hawthorn will offer at best, or fo back to port adelaide for less money and more dire situations

Start of the year he was under a bit of pressure and might of been put under undue pressure with both parties deciding about a new contract, right now with the injuries he's done very well and should be rewarded

Unless he's dying to go back to adelaide, it;'s not going to happen

I doubt it. The Hawks are doing very well (taking injuries into account) and he seems like he's become a Hawk man. He won't be going anywhere ...

Injuries or no injuries Hawks have to be considered to be doing very well (but I understand what you mean).

I think the only people who think that this will put pressure on the Hawks is the media and as the Hawks and Clarko are ignoring them, where would this pressure come from?

I was interested on the Weekend that Damien "Where's Wally" Barrett acknowledged that the Hawks/Clarko had the great strategy and were doing it very well with the way they were handling it and he couldn't see them cracking.

JMTC

Exactly. Why would Clarkson even consider going there, after he's gotten Hawthorn back to playing good footy again? Makes zero sense.

He's not going anywhere.

Contrary to what Clarkson has said publicly, he knows that there are large question marks hanging over him unless he performs this year.

If Hawthorn were sold on him they would have signed him already so let's see if he magically ends up signing a deal prior to the season end or not.

Contrary to what Clarkson has said publicly, he knows that there are large question marks hanging over him unless he performs this year.

If Hawthorn were sold on him they would have signed him already so let's see if he magically ends up signing a deal prior to the season end or not.

It's not Harry Potter - there won't be any magic involved.

Clarkson and the HFC reached a mutual agreement to withold contract negotiations until the end of season. Why can't that agreement be fulfilled?

There are two reason Clarkson will/would not walk away from Hawthorn.

profilepic24652_5.gif

Question marks? Hardly (unless you count the ones that Gary Lyon put up about him zeroing in on being the best coach in the League)! As I said elsewhere, one of the main reasons that the Hawks and Clarko should stay with their end of season renew is that it mutes the media or at least means that the Hawks themselves don't have to be part of the decisions! If they signed the contract early, it ends the Hawks ability to batter away speculation in the same way in the next contract talks!

JMTC

Question marks? Hardly (unless you count the ones that Gary Lyon put up about him zeroing in on being the best coach in the League)! As I said elsewhere, one of the main reasons that the Hawks and Clarko should stay with their end of season renew is that it mutes the media or at least means that the Hawks themselves don't have to be part of the decisions! If they signed the contract early, it ends the Hawks ability to batter away speculation in the same way in the next contract talks!

JMTC
Clarkson was under no illusions as to the pressure that would be applied should we have had a poor opening stanza.

There were definitely question marks, but they've almost all been blown away as the season has progressed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back