The White-Ant Files #25 - Ian Collins Confesses?

Remove this Banner Ad

This was all a little before my time, but was it obvious at the time that Fitzroy was the target of a concerted bid by the AFL to get rid of it, or has this all fliteresd out slowly since then?

Also, was there any sympathy at all from other clubs? Anyone who tried to unite against the evil empire?

To be honest I believe this is one of only two of the 25 points which has some reliance in hearsay. But I don't know what source this was to have come from so I'll await the input of others.

Reference to this comment was made by a lions fan, who was actually with that complete and utter moron when the fax was received.

The comment was made on the radio interview on Fitzroy's demise, which featured on ABC radio. It may be available on their website, but I know it was posted on one of the threads on the lions board

The comment was made by Jan Wright a prominent Fitzroy supporter at the Fitzroy Club Hotel. According to her Ian Collins was at the Fitzroy Club Hotel and received the fax that the deed of arrangement between the Bears and the Fitzroy administrator had been completed. His reaction was to yell was "Yes!!!!"

Not unexpected. It had been AFL policy to try and merge the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy for a couple of years before it was actually done.

I remember Jan she was a great Fitzroy Person. Ins and Outs night at the club hotel was fantastic. I wrote on superboots thread about how many people they jammed in the dinning area that night. I won a few of the quiz's and won a footy that I got Jarrod Molloy to get the team to autograph, (Jarrod was a msate of my brother and I knew him at school.) I wonder whatever happended to Jan does she follow the redroys now?

This was all a little before my time, but was it obvious at the time that Fitzroy was the target of a concerted bid by the AFL to get rid of it, or has this all fliteresd out slowly since then?

Also, was there any sympathy at all from other clubs? Anyone who tried to unite against the evil empire?

There was probably sympathy, but some of the clubs didn't exactly help Fitzroy's cause. I speak especially of Carlton, who were at best a 'reluctant' host at Princes Park and at worst, seemed to be quite adept at denying Fitzroy the money that was rightfully theirs from the takings from their home games there. Others here might be able to expand on that much more than I can, however.

Apparently Hawthorn suffered similar problems in terms of 'getting their money' from their Princes Park tenancy. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that they, too, came precariously close to folding around the mid 1990s, but then maybe it isn't either.

As I understand it, Footscray gave Fitzroy quite a decent deal financially at the Western Oval from 1994-96, and indirectly at least tried to give the Roys a leg up, but by then it was probably too late.

Fitzroy also had an unsuccessful experiment playing home games at Victoria Park in 1985-86, but I'm not clear on whether the failure of that venture was because of any obstructiveness from Collingwood, or just that they couldn't draw enough of a crowd, or other factors.

As for other clubs, Richmond's (specifically, Leon Daphne's) role in stymying the North- Fitzroy merger in 1996 is fairly well documented..

Quoting part of your post :

There was probably sympathy, but some of the clubs didn't exactly help Fitzroy's cause. I speak especially of Carlton, who were at best a 'reluctant' host at Princes Park and at worst, seemed to be quite adept at denying Fitzroy the money that was rightfully theirs from the takings from their home games there. Others here might be able to expand on that much more than I can, however.

Apparently Hawthorn suffered similar problems in terms of 'getting their money' from their Princes Park tenancy. Perhaps it's just a coincidence that they, too, came precariously close to folding around the mid 1990s, but then maybe it isn't either.

Yes, this is another point. Point 6 takes up the story of Princes Park revenues : http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860543

I'll quote this over there, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back