Phantom Draft Snoop Dog 2011 Mock Draft (Edited for final selections)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
SNOOPS ANNUAL MOCK DRAFT​

Have just done a re-edit to line up with the final draft selections. Major changes just revolve around testing which in a few of their cases makes a fair bit of difference I think.

May make another couple of changes as really still cant get comfortable with the list of Key talls after Patton, Longer and Tomlinson. The order of them from then on is really difficult.

Equally there are players like Sam Gordon, Danny Butcher, Will Farrer, Ross Tungatalum, Cameron Shenton, Rhys Waters, Matt Jacquier, Alex Brown, Jack Frost, Courtney Hylton, Jordan Kelly, Brayden O’Hara, Jake Hammond who any given time I look at it I have back in or out.

I have tended to stear clear of mature age players in the national draft and think that a few more will go in the Rookie but look guys like Mirra, Sundberg, Dwyer, Batsanis, Lynch, Baguley, Duscher, Frost, Wheeler etc could all very well go in the National Draft but more interesting to talk about the kids for mine.

Anyway here it is;

GWS Zone Selections

Harry Cunningham – This kid has a massive amount of x factor and is a genuine wingmen / midfielder. Extremely quick and has terrific hands in close and then can finish nicely. Did some nice things through the Champs.

David Coward – Hard running midfielder who has good pace and probably plays more an inside sort of role. On the smaller side but has ball winning ability and he also has pace and reasonable skills. I would have had him down as a possible rookie.

James Bruest – Probably didn’t feature at champs as much as I hoped for but gee he did some good things when he had it. Seen a bit of him but the game vs Metro was a ripper. Can play the lad and suited to a medium fwd role.

Louis Eggar – HB flanker from NT who I would have had around the 60 mark in the Draft. Think of a young Byron Pickett and you are about right. Runs hard and uses it well but its his work in and around the contest that shines

Gibson Turner – Small fwd from NT who is a terrific type and reminds very much of a young Leon Davis. Good 1:1 and even better when the ball hits the ground. Another who I would have as a mid range pick in the draft.

Kevin Williams – Giants have been keen on him for a while and he played well in a couple of games at BO through the year. Tall HB flank type who is really agile but waifer thin.

Re: Snoops 2011 Mock Draft

National Draft Selections

# 1 GWS - Stephen Coniglio

# 2 GWS - John Patton

# 3 GWS - Dominic Tyson (Oakleigh / 186 / 82 / 93)

Tyson is a lovely player and have seen a lot of him throughout the year and not once have I been disappointed. Ultimately the reason a lot of players go early is because they seem to have a touch more time and hence their execution is so much better. Tyson is no different. Watched him very closely in a couple of games and I reckon every one of his first ten disposals in one of those game were elite. He just picked the right option every time and that stands out for recruiters. He is a beaut size to boot. Tested very well.
AFL Comparison – Nick Dal Santo

# 4 GWS - Will Hoskin-Elliott (Western Jets / 182 / 73 / 93)

This kid is a class act who is that traditional wingman. Has blistering pace and along with his huge motor will run aggressively into the fwd half and kick goals. In fact he reminds of Thomas and Matera of years gone in that regard but just lacks the vertical leap Daisy has. Would think the Giants will want in their 5 selections a kid who offers them something different to what their list has to this point as opposed to going for Tyson who is a bit more of what they already have. Pace isn’t something the Giants have in abundance out at the Brekkie Point Academy and hence expect them to snap up Sumner or WHE here who will give them x factor in the middle.
AFL Comparison – Peter Matera

# 5 GWS - Chad Wingard (Sturt / 181 / 70 / 93)

This is where it gets a little interesting for the Giants. I suspect many wouldn’t agree with Wingard being placed ahead of some others but for me its a ‘no brainer’. This guy is all class. Was a stand out at all levels for Sturt and he carried SA in the champs in some of the games this year and that was on top of some really special performances as an underager last year. Can play anywhere on the field but I think he will settle as a mid because of his ability to extract stoppage ball and get to advantage. In saying that, have seen enough of him fwd to suggest he can be part of a rotation and be really effective in attack. Seen a lot of his senior SANFL footy and he has been a great contributor. He moves with ease, he has time and creates himself space. His foot skills are real good and he always weights them to the advantage of the fwd.
AFL Comparison – Always see a little of Bryce Gibbs in him.
Roughie – Matt Buntine would be a genuine chance in top 5 I would think with Wingard most likely to fall out albeit I think Wingard is the 4th best player in the pool.

# 6 Port Adelaide – Matt Buntine (Dandenong / 188 / 85 / 93)

Buntine shapes as this year’s Dyson Heppell for me. Just a very classy player who will have no problems stepping up to AFL grade. Best available and is a very composed footballer who tends to make the right decision every time. Will start at HB and could walk in Rd 1 for the Power to the extent it matters. Wonderful composure and reads the ball very well as it is coming in. Rarely loses a contest and uses the pill very efficiently. Good leader as well and as Power rebuild will be perfect for them
AFL Comparison – Jed Adcock / Chris Newman
Roughie – Would love Wingard to fall but if he didn’t then either Buntine or maybe Sumner would be a chance.

# 7 GWS – Adam Tomlinson (Oakleigh / 194 / 90 / 93)

I think he is a genuine talent. Every time I have seen him he has been very good and the development potential in the kid is pretty significant I think. Will also admit this is a little ‘needs’ based and really tossed up a defender such as Talia or a fwd such as Paine. Ultimately went with this kid because he is equally good at either end and offers a heap to work with. Terrific player who is an exceptional athlete and offers the Giants a genuine KP player who can be groomed for fwd or back. Moves well and I actually like him as a fwd where his ability to provide quick repeatable leads is as good as anyone. Couple this with his hands..... it’s almost Cloke like grip when he gets his mits on it so you would think he might be more likely to be groomed fwd than back. Lovely kick to. Might be a bit high for him in others minds but I think he is a ripper.
AFL Comparison – Luke McPharlin
GWS Roughies: Maybe Longer will go here but I would roll the dice on Longer not going to Brisbane.

# 8 Brisbane – Liam Sumner (Sandy Dragons / 178 / 69 / 93)

Its 50:50 here. Tall or short? I originally had Grigg going here but very similar to Rich, Rockliff etc and I think these blokes could do with some more quicker, classy types. Sumner is a jet and for mine probably has the most x factor of all players in the draft bar probably Manson and Crozier. A couple of his efforts in that 2nd half of the GF proved that. Has terrific vision and lateral movement and his first step is exceptional. I think he has a lot of Dale Thomas about him insomuch as he is equally as good in and out of the contest (interesting to read post writing this that he modelled his game on him). Has a better kick than Thomas IMO and it’s for that reason I think he ends up going earlier than people think.
AFL Comparison – Dale Thomas
Roughie - Given more consideration would think they probably go Tomlinson here and take a mid at # 12. For me though Sumner is such a wonderful talent you cant pass him up.

# 9 GWS – Taylor Adams (Falcons / 181 / 80 / 93)

Just a lovely player is Taylor Adams and apparently has many admirers in club land. AIS kid and he is a class act because he ticks nearly every box there is. Seen him so many times in traffic and yet he always seems to evade capture and execute to advantage. His hands in close are an absolute treat and he just strikes me as a kid who will get better and better in a club development programme. Can also play out of the contest and uses the ball at an elite level by foot as well. Is a natural leader from what have been told and is a kid you would want in your football environment for sure.
AFL Comparison – Trent Cotchin or Jim Bartel
Roughie - Would they take Kavanagh this high

# 10 GWS – Toby Greene (Oakleigh / 180 / 78 / 93)

Really debated this pick because I rate Crozier very highly on potential but look Greene is a player you build a club around. Has a lot of the Voss / Selwoods for me and whilst he has a baby face his intent at the contest is incredible....his mother would genuinely fear for his life I suspect (touch wood)!But he has many more things going for him than courage.... he is a huge ball winner because of a terrific motor (15+ beep) and has the ability to run fwd of the contest and hurt the scoreboard. I wouldn’t say his kicking is elite in the same way you wouldn’t say Selwood or Voss were elite but he is certainly very efficient and doesn’t try to do things he isn’t capable of. Suspect I have him a bit higher than others but again this is a bloke who you want running out in finals footy because you know he wont die wondering.
AFL Comparison – Michael Voss & Joel Selwood
Roughie - Maybe looking for some speed and if Sumner was available they would take him. Might be reaching for Docherty.

# 11 GWS – Bill Longer (Northern Knights / 202 / 95 / 93)

Giants don’t have any ‘A’ class ruck prospects on their list and this kid is a natural. For mine he is also a player they could throw in for a dozen games next year quite easily and I think his progress will be similar to Vardy’s. He gets around the park well, can be a link man, gives 2nd effort when required but most importantly takes contested marks which means he can be thrown forward and that is crucial in the modern game. The only knock I have on him is at times his skills aren’t as good as you would hope for a top pick. In fact I think there is a chance if they can be convinced Lions won’t take him then maybe they leave him to the next batch but if Brisbane and Port had any brains they would show all the signs of being into him to shake loose the best mid prospects they can.
AFL Comparison – Dean Cox..’ish
Roughie – Jackson Paine or Shane Kersten

#12 Brisbane – Nick Haynes (Dandenong Stingrays / 191 / 76 / 92)

Skinny 19yo who is relatively new to footy and is a nice type who has just kept on developing consistently all year. He plays wing / HF and would be a hard matchup given his height and ability to take a contested mark. Also pretty quick and agile and runs hard to create pressure and cause turnovers but the thing that always stands out for me when I see him is that is he one touch. Had a super year for the Rays and might be a bit of a Tom Lynch story having ‘come from the clouds’. Has a terrific engine and is very quick so can see him being a really influential player for them if he can fill out that body. Other than that he is good’en.
AFL Comparison – Young Andrew Embley
Roughie - Maybe McInness would come into calcs if by chance Kersten was gone but he just fits their needs so well I wouldnt be baulking at him albeit I can see the risks with him this high.

# 13 GWS - Devon Smith (Geelong / 175 / 73 / 93)

I have him sliding a bit compared to others I suspect and to be fair I am not sure why. He is just a ripping young player who gives everything and the resemblence to Harvey in terms of playing style is incredible. Quick, agile and terrific engine which will enable him to move into the middle. Terrific through traffic and given his drive you don’t have much doubt he will make it. Kicked 7 at a champ game and that gives you a sense of the x factor. Will be super for the Dogs as he has that nice mix of pace and ball winning ability.
AFL Comparison – Brent Harvey
Roughie - Sam Docherty

# 14 GWS – Elliott Kavanagh (Western Jets / 187 / 78 / 93)

Many wouldn’t have seen Kavanagh this year because he was injured through champs but if you had seen him last year you would have been impressed. If he lived up to last year’s form he would probably be a top 6 or 7 selection. He is a natural footballer and just seems to read the game so well. Terrific height, very good speed, one touch and also uses it very well. Sounds perfect doesn’t he and could well be a steal here. I did look at a few others here but ultimately decided on this kid because he probably shouldn’t be this low.
AFL Comparison – Bryce Gibbs
Roughie – Manson would be one they could legitimately look at. Nick Haynes?

# 15 Richmond – Sam Docherty (Gippsland / 183 / 80 / 93)

They need class for mine and hence look no further than one of our local boys who has been a big riser this year. Was rated at the start of the year at GP but not really anywhere else. Took off mid year and had a good few weeks leading into the carnival before getting a game during Champs off the back of some injuries. Certainly impressed and as a result being thought of as a RD 1. Super quick and very composed down back. Arguably the best user of the ball in this draft by foot and will appeal because of his decision making and pace out of defence. These HB flankers are pretty important these days and hence why I am tending to think he might go around here. I just wonder whether come draft day he isn’t in the top 12...in fact i wonder whether and Greene shouldn’t be switched!
AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw ...ish
Roughie – Nick Haynes or i would think they would just love a Greene, Adams or Kavanagh to fall here.

# 16 Fremantle – Brandon Ellis (Calder Cannons / 181 / 83 / 93)

Suspect they are lying in wait for Zyrus. Ellis is one of my favourites and followed closely all year. Love watching this kid because I think he just oozes class and will step up into an AFL environment and make a really seamless transition. He just looks like a footballer and I suspect recruiters love his poise, strength on his feet, safe hands, kicking and decision making. He just doesn’t seem to make mistakes. Could well go into the middle as well in later years as he tested really well in sprint (albeit I never seem to think he looks quick), agility and endurance. In fact his endurance suggests he could play midfield so that may have him rising into mid first round. Lovely pick because he is that Chris Newman type who sits behind the footy and just controls the back half.
AFL Comparison – Chris Newman
Roughie – Nick Haynes or Sam Docherty would ideal if he got to here.

# 17 Western Bulldogs – Jordan Murdoch (Glenelg / 190 / 85 / 92)

Gone very unheralded this year and one of my real favourites for this draft. I think he drops off a bit because he is over age (19yo). Kicked 25 goals in 6 U18 games and as a result got to see some Reserves and Senior action as well. Just looks a natural footballer and has terrific height and blistering speed (2.76s 20m) and is a one toucher which makes him a standout. Has played closer to goal than he will at AFL level where he is likely to be a HF type but could conceivably push up to a wing as well. Lovely kick and has really good kick penetration. He could well go a lot higher than this because he has genuine speed and a ripping left boot.
AFL Comparison – Like a HF flank version of Leon Cameron
Roughie – Clay Smith or Hayden Crozier

# 18 North Melbourne – Hayden Crozier (Eastern Ranges / 184 / 68 / 93)

People talk about draft depth and the lack of it yet at #18 we have the human highlight reel. With a wonderful array of inside mids like Bastinac, Swallow, Greenwood, Cunnington, Ziebell etc it’s time to add to the x factor pool that really only Wells and Harper sit in for mine at Kanga land (not to say others aren’t but amongst the kids its my observation). Tested terrificly well and has pace, lateral movement, leap and elite finishing. Some of his passages of play are just incredible and he reminds me very much of a young Daisy. Whilst he has been up and down this year he has shown that his best is as good as anybody’s in this draft and he could prove to be one of the best players from this pool in 7 or 8 years time. He is also one that could embarrass but well worth the risk.
AFL Comparison – Dale Thomas
Roughie – Thought about Brad McKenzie here. I really believe a touch of outside class is required and he is the next best I rate. Ellis could be a go here as well.

# 19 Essendon – Brad McKenzie (Sturt / 188 / 75 / 93)

Have stated will go with best available and whilst am sure that is true they arent exactly desperate for more rucks or KP players. Dons are in the market for classy midfielders and will feel that they got one in Heppell who should be able to push up to the middle next year. Interestingly McKenzie is very similar to him and suspect will go down the same path insomuch as starting HB and pushing into the middle in years to come. Has played more back this year but I have seen him play middle and fwd as well at SANFL level and he has a heap of potential. His hands at stoppages are as good as Pendlebury’s and in fact his foot skills aren’t far off his as well. Has great agility and seems to be a really clever footy player from what I am told....huge improvement left in him. I rate him high and ultimately dropped him in ahead of Nelson and Markworth.
AFL Comparison – Leon Cameron
Roughie – Apparently quite taken with Dan Markworth. Could see Nick Haynes here as well.

# 20 Fremantle - Shane Kersten (South Fremantle / 191 / 90 / 93)

Was unlucky not to be taken by GWS last year I thought and whilst he had an injury riddled year he certainly finished off really well. Strong bodied kid who is a very smart fwd type player who I could see playing senior level footy next year. Is reasonably mobile but it’s his smartness as a fwd and his marking ability that are his standouts. He is a terrific kick but have seen days where it goes astray but the technique looks efficient enough. Its a huge expectation but he plays FF a little like Dunstall did insomuch as he isn’t tall enough to be your traditional FF but his leading, use of body and contested marking well and truly make up for it.
AFL Comparison – He reminds me a little of a young Jason Dunstall.
Roughie – Sam Frost, Todd Elton or Andrew Boseley for reasons. Do they jump on Manson before WCE can?

# 21 Sydney – Tom Mitchell (Father / Son)

A ripper – I would have him #1 in this draft and would have had him in top 3 if you were to include the GWS kids.

# 22 Carlton – Daniel Markworth (Calder Cannons / 189 / 76 / 92)

Was keen to slot Markworth a touch earlier than this. Is a class act and will appeal to recruiters because he ticks a lot of boxes. He is a gifted athlete who tested very well and he combines it with a lot of the ingredients you would want. Quick, good in traffic, efficient by hand and foot and can play fwd or middle. He hasn’t played a heap of footy compared tot the other draftees and he just showed amazing improvement all year. I saw a few of his games and he was real good at the end of the season and would have to go pretty high I would think. Will play as a wing / HF I suspect at VFL level before being given a taste of senior footy at some stage but he needs to add some more muscle to the frame.
AFL Comparison – Nat Fyfe but I wouldn’t say he is quite at his level at the same age.
Roughie – Sam Frost or Todd Elton would be a nice fit but my quick look at the Blues list suggests still a lot of talls on the list and that they are better served by a younger mid / fwd. I think Shane Kersten might also be a player who could feature here if Fremantle haven’t swooped. Mitch Grigg wouldn’t be a bad fit here either and would enable Murphy to play more outside so I could see that happening as well.

# 23 West Coast – Thomas Sheridan ( Calder / 185 / 76 / 93)

He is very highly rated by the folk at Calder and with good reason given the quality and consistency of his performances. Spent a lot more time in the midfield this year and earnt a Metro jumper where he caught the eye on a couple of occasions. Can play inside and outside type roles but would think he will be a winger type given he has good endurance (15+ beep) and his speed whilst not elite is certainly within the band that makes him attractive. Has terrific ball skills and would be a nice fit at the Eagles.
AFL Comparison – Taller Leigh Montagna
Roughie – Devon SMith may slip and I think they would be keen on him.

# 24 Gold Coast – Alex Forster (Norwood / 189 / 81 / 93)

Seen a fair bit of this kid’s senior footy at Norwood and he is very good. In fact of all the 18yo’s guys I saw play state league level he was as good as anyone and in fact I probably rated him in the end as highly as I do Luke Brown who I thought was the best of the kids in SA or WA who played senior state league footy. Reads the play really well and was a super contributor for the senior side late in the season as they drove into finals. He reads the play well and he just seems to pick good options when he drives it back. Rarely makes a mistake by foot and I would rate him ahead of some of the other medium defenders in the pool. Could go higher than this but aren’t convinced where else they may use him as he is just such a good HB flank type.
AFL Comparison – Taller version of Chris Newman
Roughie – Like the kids that have it all......who knows!

# 25 St Kilda – Todd Elton (Dandenong / 197 / 92 / 93)

IVery close to going to GWS last year but didn’t quite work out and given his year I think he may slide a little albeit if GWS miss Tomlinson or McInness I can still see him being selected by them. I am told McConnell is a fan. Elton is a key fwd who can drift into the ruck. Is pretty mobile, has a terrific leap and has good strong hands and is a pretty good user for a big boy. His testing at the Combine was very good and would give the Crows some insurance against losing Tippett at the end of the year. If they don’t lose him then they potentially have a couple of tall fwd types who in 2-3 years should be very formidable. Problem with him is he just didn’t do enough at TAC or Champs and thats not ideal.
AFL Comparison – Kurt Tippett’ish
Roughie – Originally had Smith here but with Milera and Saad coming in thought best to change.

# 26 Richmond – Sam Frost ( Sandy Dragons / 194 / 87 / 93)

One of my favourite players in the draft. He is a super athlete and he just shows a real want to take on the competition with his run and carry. Very rare do you see a kid who runs as fast has he does and can play CHB. He could be a real weapon for whichever club he goes to. We saw it a few times at Champs and i will never forget at one of the games all the recruiters around me just went ‘WOW’. Backed that up late in the TAC season during the finals and moreover the TAC final when whilst only 194cm he was able to go into the ruck and get Sandy going in that 2nd half at the centre bounce where he used that vertical leap to his (and his teams) advantage. His kicking can be a bit hit and miss but the Suns can work with it easily enough...they fixed Charlie Dixon FGS. He is infectious this kid and ticks all the boxes to be a key defender.
AFL Comparison – Quicker Dustin Fletcher
Roughie – Elton / Boseley or Dobosz

# 27 Adelaide - Michael Talia (Calder / 194 / 90 / 93)

No question he polarises people the boy Talia. To be honest i really tossed up Elton, Talia, Frost and Boseley but went with Talia because I just think he probably marshalls the defenders a bit better from what I have seen and just looks so assured down there as a natural defender. He also looks to me to have shown genuine development all year. Also having taken Manson for the other end this builds the spine for the future. I think Talia’s biggest advantage is a bit like Reid and Taylor in that they read the play well. He also tested really well at the combine with a 3s 20m and a near 15 beep.....quick and can go all day and should be able to therefore keep up with the likes of Franklin, Cloke and Roo which is just so important. Had my doubts about his kicking and offensive run but from what I saw he improved that at and post champs so he has been a bit of a riser in my view.
AFL Comparison – Michael Jamieson
Roughie –Sam Frost or Jordan Lockyer would be attractive to them.

# 28 West Coast - Zyrus (Waylen) Manson (Claremont / 195 / 80 / 93)

Granted the risks around this kid seem real from what those who are in the know tell me but in these things you can only go on potential and talent......and this kid has a full house! Freakish talent who I have seen a fair bit of now and whilst there are huge issues with elements of his game (he just hasnt been exposed to a proper training programme) the positives are very good. He is his own highlight reel and just seems to read the ball so well. Couples that with a desire to play in front and his huge leap and you have a kid who if he can build a motor and add some weight will be nigh impossible to stop. He could bloody anything this kid. In his 2 Colts games he had 30 touches and 21 of them were scores (12g 9). He has then gone up to play for the Waratahs in the NT and absolutely dominated smashed them with regular hauls of 8 or more. He has great hands, he gets in front so the umps look after him and he finishes pretty well albeit can look a bit lazy at times. He needs a lot of work but risk reward could be massive. I don’t have much doubt he can step up. Strong chance Dockers or Dees may have already taken him but I kind of hope more than anything that WCE get him bc I think they are Fremantle will have the best chance at optimising him.
AFL Comparison – you know who I am talking about......#23!

# 29 Fremantle – Murray Newman (Swan Districts / 179 / 67 / 93)

Massive fan of this kid and cant believe isn’t more highly rated…. I actually think this kid could be a real bolter. He is a bloody ripper and whilst he spent most of the year in the Swan District seniors he is probably 2 years off having an AFL body he will be well worth the wait. Very classy mover who can middle and fwd albeit think he will be a small fwd in his earlier years. Just never seems to lose his feet and uses it well either side and is almost cat like in his ability to move across the field. Played most of the year in the WAFL senior side after kicking 6 in his first and only Colts game. Didn’t put a foot wrong in the seniors and his last game was very good.
AFL Comparison – Actually reminds me a bit of Aker in some ways. Has that cat like ability to just stay on his feet and go from either side of the body. Also can play up and down the ground.
Roughie – Jackson Paine

# 30 Brisbane – Jordan Lockyer ( West Perth / 191 / 85 / 93)

Gosh he reminds me of Nick Maxwell and Matty Scarlett...probably more the latter. Whilst a little undersized for a KPD he is just so footy smart and he has a good leap (6th for vertical leap at DC) and he is also pretty agile so he could go tall or small. The bit that reminds more of Maxwell is he runs straight and throws himself into a contest where he can take contested grabs or just punch the ball away. In fact his ability to take a contested grab means he could also end up playing fwd in a MacAffer type role. Beautiful kick (3rd in the DC kick assessment) as well and also like his ability to tackle be a presence. He is a bargain here.
AFL Comparison – Nick Maxwell / Matt Scarlett
Roughie – Andrew Boseley

# 31 Essendon – Myles Bolger (South Frem / 201 / 90 / 93)

Saw a lot of him last year and was super impressed with him. He is a terrific type and whilst we didn’t get to see much of him this year he certainly finished the season really well for South Fremantle. I like my ruckmen to be clever at the clearances with hit outs to advantage and to be able to compete around the ground and potentially push fwd. Bolger ticks all those boxes albeit probably doesn’t push fwd as much as he could and that might be the worry. Still he is very athletic and has strong hands and good skills so no reason that couldn’t come in time. Originally had him going to GWS but think they may settle on the 4 rucks on the senior list.
AFL Comparison – Matt Luenberg
Roughie – Have made it known they are keen on a ruckmen so suspect maybe Downie or Brown??

# 32 Geelong – Jackson Paine (Sandy Dragons / 192 / 86 / 93)

Another of my real favourites in the draft. Have seen quite a bit of him this year and what stands out for me is a number of things. Firstly I think he is a genuinely strong and smart KP Fwd. He leads well, leads to the right spot and will then use his body for optimal position. He also has that habit of being able to mark the pill at the highest point (akin to Trav Cloke). He ain’t afraid to hit a pack in fact he looks like he relishes it. In addition his finishing is elite and I think he would be exactly what the Lions need. May not go this high but I like what I see and think he goes a bit unheralded. His testing results suggest he has a great motor as well. When you see him play junior footy he reminds me of guys like Pavlich and Cloke at the same stage. Whether he has the tank to do what they do is unknown but he certainly has some great attributes. Also capable of being groomed as a back if doesn’t end up quite tall enough to play fwd.
AFL Comparison – Very similar to Pavlich at TAC level but a touch shorter.
Roughie – Julian Dobosz or Andrew Boseley

# 33 Hawthorn – Andrew Boseley (Geelong Falcons / 194 / 90 / 92)

Over age player who I might have a bit high at this selection but he possesses an attribute that I think is much required in key defenders….closing speed…..and he is also a player who the Hawks are looking to replenish given departure of Lisle. Did some super jobs through the year and will surely have caught the eye of clubs looking to building their defence. He probably doesn’t get enough of the ball offensively for me but he did seem to improve that late. What you get with this kid is just someone who could go with the best fwds and whose pace and reach will make him really formidable.
AFL Comparison – Dustin Fletcher
Roughie – Joel Hamling may appeal as he could be developed a few different ways.

# 34 Geelong – Mitch Grigg (Norwood / 181 / 85 / 93)

Recent drafts tell me his sprint time at the DC (3.19s for 20m) will drop him down a bit but remember Luke Parker went at #40 in a stronger draft and his first year would suggest he slipped to far so let’s not get to crazy. Seen a lot of Grigg and I think he is just a class act. Everyone probably saw his champ game in Melbourne but it’s his footy for Norwood post that at senior (and reserves) that got me really excited. He just wasn’t out of place at all and displayed that ability to read the play better than others and position himself really well. Testing is important but I would rather take real game sense and footy smarts every day. I look at last year and see Polec and Conca go at in first 6 or so and think this bloke is potentially better. Always has an ability to just always make the right decisions and execute at an elite level. Will be one of the more interesting to watch and will be a barometer between footy ability and testing. Would be a bargain here
AFL Comparison – Simon Black
Roughie – Would they go after Tom Downie here or wait til the rookie for a ruck prospect?

# 35 St Kilda – Clay Smith (Gippsland Power / 180 / 82 / 93)

Suspect his mother worries about his ferocious attack on the footy! Debated where to drop this kid in and frankly this feels a little late. When thinking of this kid just think Joel Selwood and Luke Ball. Very team orientated player who is perfect for the modern game in that he will play a role as contested ball winner who tackles really well. He is a huge contested possession winner and just throws himself into everthing. Keeps his feet very well and is really adept at using his hands in close to advantage. Has nice foot skills as well. Finished with 9 bests in his 12 appearances.
AFL Comparison – Luke Ball
Roughie – Shane Nelson

# 36 Melbourne – Sebastian Ross (North Ballarat / 187 / 82 / 93)

Really surprised he doesn’t get discussed a bit more but a terrific prospect who just loves his footy and I think he could be a steal this late in the draft. Probably best suited to a HB or wing where he can use his run and his foot skills. Works hard across the ground and is capable of winning his own ball or being a link up player. I think the importance of spread and repeat running works well in his favour because when you watch him he runs both ways and can work deep into the fwd line. Terrific size for a midfielder to and could see him being given a run in the NAB Cup for sure. For me there is just a slight query on his disposal efficiency.
AFL Comparison – Nick Suban
Roughie – Tom Curran or Joel Hamling

# 37 St Kilda – Joel Hamling (Claremont / 193 / 80 / 93)

Didnt originally have Hamling in as he just reminded me to much of Tony Notte and to me it was just how long before he could get an AFL body. But that all changed after I saw his test results. Outside of a couple of the guys I have going much earlier he has been a stand out at the DC whereas a lot of the other guys who I quite liked either didn’t test or didn’t go terribly well. Agile kid who can play fwd and back and who I think might actually start in the defensive half at state league level. Has lots of footy smarts and gets to the right spots and can follow up with secondary efforts when the ball is in dispute. May end up a bit like Ben Reid actually and fill out and that is probably the hope with him. To be fair Ben was a skinny runt when he arrived at Collingwood.
AFL Comparison – Ben Reid
Roughie – Brad Hill

# 38 Hawthorn – Shane Nelson (West Perth / 179 / 73 / 93)

Nelson is a class act in my opinion and I liken him a fair bit to the kid Fasolo Collingwood took last year. Many peg him as simply an outside mid who is a huge accumulator (ave 22 poss at Nationals and 32 poss at Colts level) but that is selling him very short. He has that mix of endurance, agility (8.13 = seriously good) which rates as well as say a Prestia etc, speed (2.83 which again is seriously good) and efficiency of disposal (29/30 at kicking test which is fantastic). His tackle pressure was also good in the games I saw and he showed a real willingness to put his head over the footy when he had to take his turn. Notwithstanding he can play inside the stoppage where he is pretty creative with his hands, I think his go is for a team mate to get the ball out of the stoppage to him and let him use his pace, decision making and elite footskills to hit up a target. That’s his thing and he is darn good at it. Somebody compared him to Gaff but I think he is much quicker than Gaff and thats why I liken him more to Fasolo. He has speed and he also has an ability to play fwd of the ball. In fact I think he will start as a small fwd and then be pushed into the middle when the body is ready.
AFL Comparison – Alex Fasolo
Roughie – Josh Tynan

# 39 Western Bulldogs – Josh Tynan (Gippsland Power/ 185 / 76 / 93)

Natural footballer who has had a terrific year at Gippy and then for Country at the Champs. He can play on talls and smalls so his versatililty will appeal to clubs and he also has that ability to set up pretty well by hand or foot. He is very courageous and thinks nothing of backing back into a mark. Very cool in traffic and his decision making has been elite when I have seen him. Finished off the year with some super performances and think he will be a chance to go higher than here. Could be a bit of a Heppell as well and just take off next year. Scope to play midfield as well.
AFL Comparison – Heath Shaw
Roughie – Julian Dobosz could fall to here. Also have shown they don’t mind developing skinny talls in Grant and Jones so Hamling a chance. Murray newman would be a good fit.

# 40 North Melbourne – Henry Schade (North Hobart / 194 / 81 / 93)

Has played fwd and back but I think will settle in CHB where he is the modern type. Plays a bit like a Sam Fisher insomuch as he is pretty aggressive at the ball and can be in the play at all times. Very mobile and a really neat left foot kick and would border on elite for his size I would think. Seen him play some lovely footy and just always looks composed and knowing exactly what he wants to do. Really good decision maker for mine but he needs to add weight.
AFL Comparison – Sam Fisher
Roughie – Ben Brown or Fletcher Roberts

# 41 Adelaide – Sam Kerridge (Bendigo / 188 / 83 / 93)

Was very highly rated at start of year and despite some solid form for Bendigo got stuff all of a go at Champs. Had a really good end to the season and was rewarded with a couple of senior games where he performed really well for Bendigo at VFL level. Caught a couple of those games and he was really impressive. Tall athletic sort of player who accumulates the footy and has a fair bit of class. Certainly looks like he could develop into a quality midfielder as has ball winning capability and a burst of speed. Was in Bendigo’s best 14 out of 16 games!
AFL Comparison – Michael Barlow
Roughie – Brad Hill, Murray Newman and Jordan Murdoch might be players that could fit here pretty well. They could do with a ruck prospect and wonder if Hannath could be an option or Downie.

# 42 St Kilda – Marley Williams (Claremont / 181 / 85 / 93)

Again potentially a bit of a reach at this selection but I rate this kid. He oozes class and there aren’t many of those types left who have a bit of x factor and can play middle and fwd. Had a terrific championships where he highlighted his running and foot skills. Can see him playing on a wing and would think the WA clubs would be keen on him as looks good 1:1 and is a 70m type player. Finished off the season very well at Colts and Senior level. In fact in one of his Colt finals he had 20+ touches and 8 inside 50’s. Has a dip to. Clubs like these blokes. Will take some time to develop but well worth it.
AFL Comparison – Sharrod Wellingham
Roughie – Jordan Murdoch

# 43 Swans –Julian Dobosz (North Hobart / 192 / 83 / 92)

Another who I have sliding a bit as he didn’t test as well as would have liked at DC but to be fair he has never done a pre-season so it is understandable its just a question of how high a pick a club will spend. Whilst he is a fair way away from having an AFL ready body he has undoubted talent and may be the kid from Tassie who ends up being the best of this draft. There is a fair bit of Jack Riewoldt about him, he plays enthusiastically, jumps around, is good on the ground and just has a knack for kicking goals.
AFL Comparison – Jack Riewoldt
Roughie – Michael Bussey

# 44 Carlton – Alex Woodward (Sandringham Dragons / 175 / 79 / 93)

Gee I am a fan of this kid. Have seen him a number of times and got caned for suggesting early in season this kid could Round 2 but I am going to stick with it. He is a player whose leadership and onfield commitment should really appeal to Port given the number of kids they have down there. Some of his 1% efforts are incredible and he along with Frost were significant in turning the Dragons fortunes around in the 2nd half of the TAC GF. Wonderful inside player who is quick out of the contest and seems to make really good decisions when executing from a stoppage. For me that is his stand out attribute along with the competitiveness he brings to a game. Elite stoppage player and you blokes should get ‘Diesel’ down to mentor him because he is cut from the same cloth.
AFL Comparison – Jaryd Blair / Andrew Swallow
Roughie –Josh Waldhunter fit the bill

# 45 Port Adelaide – Josh Waldhunter (Central Districts / 183 / 83 / 93)

Terrific player who has played Champ football the last 2 years and been a really good performer. Tough uncompromising type of player who will be ready for senior footy pretty quickly. Is a midfielder who will probably start more as a HB and has some similarities to Aidan Riley actually. Probably not a type who has heaps of x factor but he is very good at the clearances and his ball use by hand in traffic is a real feature. Also has a pretty penetrating kick as well and can kick through the lines. He is certainly a good addition. Will play seniors fairly quickly and is a nice addition to a midfield group of Boak, Hartlett and Tyson amongst others.
AFL Comparison – Luke Ball
Roughie – Murray Newman would be a touch of class for the Power.

# 46 Adelaide – Jackson Merrett (Geelong Falcons / 187 / 70 / 93)

Real skinny midfielder who is a terrific athlete and a terrific kid. Greatest strength is that he just runs all day and provides great spread and run. Can win his own ball but probably more an outside midfielder (given weight) who is quick and uses the ball really efficiently.
AFL Comparison – Quicker version of a Joel Corey style player
Roughie – Cameron Ellis-Yolman

# 47 Brisbane - Tom Downie (North Ballarat / 205 / 95 / 93)

I remember in a mock draft a few years ago I suggested the little played Todd Goldstein would go earlier than many thought and have the same view with Downie. Like Goldstein he comes from a basketball background and is a huge unit. I have now seen some vision of him and whilst raw he is a super prospect. For 205cm guy he is really agile and seems to do all things well bar probably getting enough of it in general play. Gets around the ground well, has good skills and given the departure of Charman and Clark makes sense. Only played 2 games for NBR but was in the bests both times.
AFL Comparison – Todd Goldstein
Roughie – Ben Brown – real roughie might be the boy Brewer

# 48 Geelong – Brad Hill (West Perth / 178 / 72 / 93)

Personally, have had Brad pretty high all year actually as have followed closely. If you have seen him play he just looks the business. Has all the attributes of his brother but probably just hasn’t shown the same results albeit he did have a good Champs and then backed it up with a great DC. Has all the athletic credentials you could want as evidenced at DC – is quick, powerful and seems to have pretty good endurance. His ball use is good and there looks to be a fair bit to work with. Just needs to be taught to get more involved – particularly defensively.
AFL Comparison – Stephen Hill
Roughie – Marley Williams or Jack Crisp

# 49 Western Bulldogs – Lachlan Dalgleish (North Ballarat / 181 / 77 / 93)

Quick wingman from the Rebels who will offer the Dogs genuine leg speed and a bit of class. Reminds me a bit of someone like Rohan Smith who has real pace and has good kick penetration. Nothing wrong with him as an inside type but the ability to run and carry is what is going to appeal to prospective clubs. The knock on him is that whilst there is a heap of potential there am not sure the results have been to date but he certainly has the tools to be a successful player.
AFL Comparison – Rohan Smith
Roughie – Murray Newman or Elliott Yeo

# 50 Collingwood – Elliott Yeo (East Fremantle / 188 / 73 / 93)

Terrific size midfielder type who is a smooth mover who looks classy and has real development potential. Tested quite well at champs and suspect he will find his feet as a HB / Wing type player. Sometimes these kids get left in the state league because he needs to eat a few meals but given he is quick, is a great height and uses the ball well I think he may go to a club that can take some time with him. Also could see them preferring a mature age version of him such as Horsley, O'Hara or Mirra.
Roughie – Horsley, O'Hara or a tall like Tom Curran, Nick Murphy or Sam Gordon. Really need some KPF’s and may look here or in the rookie. Really wanted to take Sam Gordon and have done a bit of homework on his Geelong Grammer form. Apparently been very good and the perception there are pace issues may well be off the mark. Certainly a strong FF prospect who should become a big unit will combine that with a thumping kick which is pretty accurate. Problem is he only came in at 192cm at champs and hence the question mark is he big enough?

# 51 Port Adelaide – Fraser McInness (Perth / 197 / 90 / 93)

I slide this guy up and down the order and think this is probably the top of a range that could be all the way back to #30. The Giants will be looking for a tall here and whilst I dont think he is probably the 13th best player in the pool I think they will go tall for 'balance'. Also, I think Elton might fit the needs a bit more I have gone with the boy McInness because he has probably shown the potential to play in a number of positions which will work well with Jeremy Cameron. I liken McInness to Fraser Gehrig and think he may start back but I could definitely see him fwd. Has already played senior WAFL footy and acquitted himself well enough to suggest he will see seniors at some stage next year. He is terrific mover and a big boy. That will really appeal to clubs and his draft rankings have been on the rise it would appear because of it but the fit here is superb and probably has him edging out Elton I suspect. Would have liked to see him tested and as a result am a bit unsure whether he is closer to 10 or 30.
AFL Comparison –Fraser Gehrig
Roughie – If Sam Kerridge was here would be perfect for Port. Might look at a Ben Brown around here as well or a Tom Downie.

# 52 Melbourne – Ben Brown (Glenorchy / 198 / 89 / 92)

Been tracking him for 2 years and whilst he has been injury riddled he seems to have gotten the body right and his best has been really good. Big boy who looks a natural fwd / ruck prospect much like Kurt Tippett did at the same stage. Got a great leap and his palming is first class. Can take a strong mark and his kicking is terrific for a big boy. Most pleasing thing about him is he aint averse to the 2nd efforts. I think there are some questions as to whether he goes or not because the body has shown signs of breaking down.
AFL Comparison – Kurt Tippett
Roughie – Fletcher Roberts or Dylan Orval could land here. Was a terrific junior but he had an ACL so difficult to predict. Still remember his Dad playing his first game for Collingwood......Essendon and kicked 3 I think?

# 53 Hawthorn – Haidan Schloithe (South Fremantle / 179 / 72)

Not much to young Haidan but don’t let that fool you. Gee he has a go and when you watch him you just want him at your club. Will start out as a small fwd who will use his pace to create opportunities around the key fwds. Will also be able to be the modern type small fwd who will offer the defense pressure fwds must provide these days. Tested well at DC but lacks a real motor but I think that will come. Played some really good Colts footy and got a crack late in season and went well. At the end of the day he is tough and will put his head over the ball, chase and tackle, is quick and knows where the goals are.
AFL Comparison – Matt Stokes / Shannon Byrnes
Roughie – Mark Hutchings or David Mirra

# 54 Melbourne – Steve Verrier ( South Fremantle / 188 / 83 / 93)

Really impressed me at champs and then later in the season at Reserves and Senior level and is certainly the style of player Dees might like. Just looks like a footballer to me and is probably going to be your attacking defender type who will be able to push up further into his development. Ticks a lot of boxes; composed in traffic, one touch, does the little things, gives a second effort, tackles, quick and a really good ball user and decision maker. Note – has a brother who is very very good!
AFL Comparison – Quicker version of Jed Adcock
Roughie – Matt Suckling, Cam Shenton or Brayden OHara would give them a mature body that would add to them

# 55 Richmond – Adam Marric or John McCarthy will go here but for fun.... Mark Hutchings (West Perth / 180 / 82)

Had my doubts about his ability to come back onto an AFL list after his time with the Saints. I think he probably got dropped off their list for a couple of reasons. Firstly I think he lacked leg speed and secondly I think his field kicking under pressure was found wanting. Both of those things seem to have been remedied, particularly his leg speed given the #’s he clocked at WA State Screen. I think he might just get another chance and provide some inside assistance for Martin and Cotchin so they can get on the end of it a bit more.
AFL Comparison – Brad Sewell
Roughie – Malcolm Lynch would be perfect for Tigers. Great leg speed and skill out of back half. Cam Shenton is another who I think given departure of Morton would be a super fit at Richmond and would be ready to go. Lee Spurr another.

# 56 GWS – Setanta O’Hailpin (Carlton)

I think these blokes desperately need some taller fwd types and this bloke fits the bill. May want to get in before Saints.
Roughie – Beau Wilkes

# 57 Western Bulldogs – Justin Clarke (SA / 194 / 86 / 93)

Tall defender who is this years SA smokey. Likely to go anywhere from 30- 60.
AFL COmparison - Dustin Fletcher
Roughie - Tom Curran

# 58 Fremantle – Josh Bootsma (South Fremantle / 190 / 81 / 93)

Son of Brad for those that remember him. Played some Colts footy with SF this year and I whilst I havent seen him those I know who have weren’t overly taken with him. Certainly when I looked at his numbers he wasnt doing anything that suggested he was a Rd 1. HBF’er who has good pace and good skills. Has been talked up as a Rd 1 prospect but isn’t someone that I would have thought had shown enough to get ahead of those there. Anyway he seems a certain to go to them so might as well slot him in.
AFL Comparison – Cant say as haven’t seen.
Roughie – I reckon the boy Tunbridge is a chance here.

# 59 Essendon – Jimmy Webster (Glenorchy / 187 / 72 / 93)

Love watching Jimmy play and think he might go a bit higher than this. Ex AIS kid who is a one touch hands and then becomes one of those 70m types who then just finishes it off really well. They are good attributes to have and whilst I think he is probably a couple of years away and will start off HB he will work his way into the midfield group with a bit extra weight. The knock is he probably just needs to influence games more and for the Div 2 kids this is where the champs are important and unfortunately he didn’t have a great one. But look he is an exceptional athlete and a beautiful kick who has shown he could be an A grader.
AFL Comparison – Clint Young sort of player
Roughie – Ross Tungatalum would be terrific for the Dons and given them some speed up front.

# 60 St Kilda – Kyal Horsley (Subiaco WAFL)

Coach Watters and this bloke have some pretty good history together and Horsley’s form has been outstanding this year. 24 yo and tough midfielder type who is good inside and out and would be a handy addition to their midfield – particularly given Watters has suggested there is no reason for a rebuild. Really improved his endurance over previous years and getting better all the time.
AFL Comparison – James Kelly....but not quite as good.
Roughie – Could be looking for a tall around here like Nick Murphy or Sam Gordon or the mature ones like Setanta or Beau Wilkes.

# 61 Swans – Michael Bussey (Eastern Ranges / 196 / 81 / 93)

Gee he reminds me of Ben Reid as a junior. Like Reid at the same stage (and Elton this year), has his knockers due to his inconsistent form, lack of physical presence and his apparent disinterest at times but he is one who when you see him at his best you would have him a lot higher than this. Ex AIS kid who has played all over the ground and went to DC as a tall fwd. His best footy when I have watched him has been as a back where he reads the play really well and is prepared to put his body back into a contest – also has v good closing speed. Seems to be a natural reader of the game from there and that’s no different to Reid. Uses it pretty well and just presents as a kid you could play in a number of different roles. An AFL environment will round out his athletic gifts and as I mentioned he has that uncoachable quality of being able to read the game quite well. The other stuff can come with good development coaches etc.
AFL Comparison – Ben Reid
Roughie – Nick Murphy / Sam Gordon / Fletcher Roberts / Dylan Orval / Jake Hammond are all types I could see landing around here who fill that tall need they have.

# 62 Carlton – Dylan Buckley (Rookie Upgrade)

# 63 West Coast Eagles – Ashton Hams (Rookie Upgrade)

# 64 Adelaide – Cameron Ellis-Yolman (Woodville WT / 191 / 88 / 93)

Classy young midfielder here for the Crows and Ellis-Yolman fits this bill. Started off the season super well and was then promoted to the reserves for the rest of the season. Terrific size for a midfielder and he excels at the stoppages with his clearances and burst of pace. Moves well and he would definitely be a kid that whilst he may not be ready to go Rd 1 next year he wont be far off. Would have liked to have seen him get a senior game but was pretty hard in that outfit towards the end of the year.
AFL Comparison –
Roughie - Elliott Yeo would be a good fit if he fell to here.

# 65 Collingwood – Tom Curran (Oakleigh / 195 / 86 / 93)

Staggered the kid wasn’t father / son but that obviously had more to do with Hawks preferring to give up #24 for Gunston which is understandable. Really rate this kid and he is a super size for a key position player. Would have liked to have seen him at DC bc the only question I have is his agility (he has tested ok for this in the past). Certainly has the physical want to hit a contest, strong hands, lovely kick and moves well particularly up forward. For a club that is looking for a key position prospect in the middle of the draft then you would be rapt to get him. Lots of potential and will be keen to see where he lands given many good watchers had him as a plausible first round father / son for the Hawks.
AFL Comparison – David Schwarz
Roughie – Sam Gordon or Nick Murphy

# 66 Geelong – Jack Newnes (Northern Knights / 184 / 73 / 93)

Bit of a favourite of mine and watched for a while. Hopefully I haven’t shown any bias but I think he is well worthy here and would love to see him picked up. Has been an impressive performer at both TAC and Champs this year and has shown an ability to keep on improving. I think his best footy is probably going to be a HB where he will play a bit like maybe a Wojo (slightly slower) when he is fully developed. Whilst he has played a fair bit on the wing I think he will settle as a HB where he can use his run and carry. His work rate is terrific and he will take his chances to push fwd. Has good kick penetration and uses it very well by foot. His skills are top notch. The only knock on him is I sometimes wonder if he just hits the first option as opposed to waiting but to be fair when I have seen him do that its more coming out of stoppages.
AFL Comparison – Lindsay Gilbee
Roughie – Jack Charleston

# 67 Collingwood – Jarrod Witts (NSW Scholar)

# 68 St Kilda – Tom Lee (Claremont / 192 / 90 / 91)

Very hard to pick here because I think they will aim up at some stage for a mature age key defender. For mine the candidates are Blee, Lee and Frost. I think Blee is probably the better option but he didn’t test and in the absence of that would look at Lee and Frost. Lee is probably the more ready to go and that gets him the spot but again there is stuff all between them. Tom Lee is a 20 yo who was previously with Adelaide but ended up back at Claremont after a year. Struggled a bit in 2010 but had an outstanding season this year where he played fwd and back and in the last couple of games I saw he even played on the ball. Terrific agility and pace (Sub 3s over 20m) and his endurance will allow him to push into a ruck type role not dissimilar to maybe a Zac Clarke if that is what the Saints wanted. Might not be a bad option as would enable Kosi to play KPF. For mine I think he will probably settle as a KPD for the Saints but a lot of clubs will be keen on him because of his ability to adapt to different roles. He is a type that could do a role on someone like Franklin almost straight away. Given how much he developed this year I can see him continuing to improve.
AFL Comparison – Zac Clarke but shorter.
Roughie – Nathan Blee or Jack Frost

# 69 Brisbane – Mitch Golby (Rookie Upgrade)

# 70 Western Bulldogs – Matthew Panos (Rookie Upgrade)

# 71 Fremantle - Jack Crisp (Murray Bushrangers / 189 / 81 / 93)

Has terrific size and athletic credentials strikes me as a player who could potentially play a few different roles but probably best suited to a wing. Knows how to position himself and accumulates a fair bit of it. Is quick and will run offensively and defensively. Would be a difficult match up and can certainly hurt on the scoreboard. I think he was one of the highest tacklers in the TAC comp so got a penchant for the 1% ‘ers as well. Not dissimilar to Haynes in many ways and shows the evenness of the draft and could well see him selected. Massive chance to go as early as 40 would think.
AFL Comparison – Chris Mayne
Roughie – Leon Davis or Paul Medhurst

# 72 Fremantle – Lee Spurr (Central Districts) / Zac Dawson (St Kilda)

Ex Qld’er who has played in a couple of SANFL premierships and who whilst pegged as a fwd is also a bit of utility insomuch as he can fwd or back and play a few different roles. Very composed and strong over the footy but best used as a bit of link up player or medium fwd for mine.

# 73 Western Bulldogs - Luke Dahlaus (Rookie upgrade)

#74 North Melbourne – Luke Delaney (Rookie upgrade)

# 75 Essendon - Stewart Crameri (Rookie Upgrade)

# 76 St Kilda – Zac Dawson (St Kilda)

# 77 Hawthorn - Luke Bruest (Rookie Upgrade)

# 78 Geelong – Nick O’Brien (North Ballarat / 189 / 89 / 93)

Been pidgeoned as a fwd but I think he has terrific endurance and that was borne out at the DC where he had a 15+ beep. Tells me he could move to the middle and if that is the case then I can see him going a bit higher than here because he is a beautiful kick and has really good hands. Will appeal because he can certainly play as a third tall lead up type such as MacAffer but he has the endurance to run in the middle so shapes as a Pendlebury sized midfielder. In the bests 7 out of 10 games for NBR and shows plenty of development for me. In saying that I could see him sent to state league for a year or two as well and then coming up later.
AFL Comparison – Andrew Embley
Roughie – Brayden O’Hara might make sense as a mature age player to help the transition they will inevitably encounter

# 79 GWS – Brody Mihocek (Burnie / 191 / 86 / 93)

Shapes as one of the more interesting prospects for me. Originally had him higher than this off the back of what was a very good championships and some fine senior performances for Burnie late in the season including the GF in which I thought he was a standout. Having said that he didn’t impress at DC with some of his testing and that will have created some doubt (assuming he didn’t have anything wrong with him but maybe he did). To be fair the question marks were around his speed and I would never have picked it so maybe there was an issue. I still think he will be drafted but I don’t think it will be as high if those numbers are to be believed. Certainly when I have seen him at junior level he has impressed as a one touch player, who is strong overhead and a really good user of the ball. He always looked to have reasonable speed but maybe it was more his decision making because that is a feature of his play for mine. In the TSL GF he played off a HB flank and he contributed really well. Coped well with the pressure (and there was a lot of it) and was just clean with the footy when it was in hand. Was composed and used the ball pretty well and just strikes as a bloke who is capable of playing a variety of roles. Speed issue aside he is a ripper prospect. Shapes as a very interesting player on draft night......something just doesn’t seem right for mine.
AFL Comparison – Nick Maxwell
Roughie – Jordan Kelly is a kid who I have left out who I have a huge range on so he could fall here.

# 80 Gold Coast – Alik Mangin (Rookie Upgrade) Alex Sexton (Zone selection)

# 81 Port Adelaide – Corey Gault (Swan Districts / 198 / 87 / 92)

Will take a tall for Port here and think Gault here makes great sense. Saw a little bit of him at champs and whilst not dominant did enough to suggest he might be a handy tall type in a draft which is pretty thin on genuine talls). He is a 19yo so that may count against him because frankly there is an argument to say he should have been more dominant but the coach has been quoted that he had massive improvement and upside left in him. Genuine tall fwd option (so many 192cm in this draft which I tend to shy away from) who with his height and agility would be able to have a crack in the ruck at times. My understanding is he tested very well and got some senior action late in the year and was influential.
Roughie – Given interest in Davis maybe the are after a running back and someone like Lynch, OHara, Florio could make sense for them. JOhn McCarthy also been linnked.

# 82 Adelaide – Aidan Riley (Rookie Upgrade)

# 83 Fremantle – Nick Lower (Rookie Upgrade)

# 84 North Melbourne – Cameron Pederson (Rookie Upgrade)

# 85 Sydney Swans – Nathan Gordon (Rookie Upgrade)

# 86 Geelong – Jed Bews (F/S)

# 87 GWS - Nick Murphy (Oakleigh / 194 / 87 / 93)

Frankly there are a heap of potential talls around here and its arguably a bit of guess work as all of them have some question marks for mine. Not sure exactly where Nick Murphy goes because without knowing which screening he went to I would have thought he was pretty high (ie I expected him at DC). The fact he only went State makes me think I am over rating him and hence why I have dropped him back. But I put that against the fact GWS very nearly took him last year. Very mobile key position player who was well performed last year and who kicked a bag of goals this year including 5 in the GF. Very mobile forward who probably relies more on this than his ability to take contested marks. Is a beautiful kick and with his basketball background there is a lot to work with. Would probably like to see a touch more aggression in his game.
AFL Comparison – Jarrad Waite
Roughie – Fletcher Roberts tested really well but I just liked Murphy’s form better all year.

# 88 Gold Coast – Jackson Allen (Zone Selection)

# 89 Adelaide - Matt Wright (Rookie Upgrade)

# 90 GWS – Brett O’Hanlon (Dandenong / 189 / 82 / 93)

Really wanted to take a medium fwd as don’t think that is something they have a heap of and landed on this bloke over Hammond, Jacquier and Duffy. Seemed to just keep on improving through the year and just loves to get involved. Lead up HF type and was a strong goal kicker for them this year. Has nice hands and hard to beat him 1:1 and then finishes nicely with his elite foot. Shows the ability to push up and be a midfield rotation as well and would be one I would be pretty keen on.
AFL Comparison – Tom Lynch
Roughie – Jake Hammond

#91 Gold Coast –Alex Sexton (Zone selection)

Bit confused by the AFL website as thought these were the zone selections for the GWS but maybe I have that wrong. Anyway just dropped some names in for fun.

# 92 GWS – Nathan Blee (East Perth / 192 / 80 / 90)

Saw a lot of Nathan this year and he is a really good footballer. He came from the clouds insomuch as hadn’t played senior WAFL and ended up finishing 3rd in their B&F so its reasonable to conclude he probably has some scope for development. I saw a fair few of his games and I thought he just got better and better. Did a lot of good jobs on some pretty decent players and showed he could play on small and tall forwards. He didn’t test at champs bc he was ill but I saw enough to suggest I don’t think his athletic #’s would let him down. It will come down to a club wanting to top up in a particular area and for mine Giants could find him very handy.
AFL Comparison – Matt Scarlett
Roughie – Trent Shinners

# 93 GWS – Jai Sheehan (Geelong Falcons / 194 / 85 / 93)

AIS grad from the Falcons who is one of the more impressive KP players in this draft in terms of height and agility but he really struggled at times to get around the park and ultimately didnt play any Champs which is a bit of a surprise given the development put into him. IN our early BF draft I took him around 50 or so but I think a few went passed him after that and hence his range would be pretty wide I would think. I still expect him to be taken and its just a function whether its from 40 onwards in the ND or he slides into Rookie. He will get a chance though bc he could be groomed for either end, has a good leap, reasonable speed but what sets him apart is his skill level either side of his body as well as his marking, kicking and his decision making. To his credit was the highest goal scorer for Falcons this year and featured in the bests in 10 out of his 17 appearances.

# 94 GWS – Michael Florio (Perth / 188 / 78 / 91)

Been watching him for a while and like David Mirra had him going in a Phantom a few years ago. I couldn’t decide between the two of them but have gone with Florio on the basis of his testing which saw him clock a 2.82 for 20s and a 15 beep which is absolutely elite. Last year he played much more off the HB line (muck like Mirra) and was very adept at sitting off the play and being that linkup player out of defence. This year they have pushed him up more and his performances have been very good. His kicking is absolutely elite albeit sometimes I wonder the open game style they play in the west and the better conditions they cop make their blokes look a little more attractive (eg I often prefer to watch the WAFL than VFL). For mine its just that blast of speed and his outstanding endurance which get him ahead of Mirra.
Roughie – David Mirra

# 95 GWS – Max Duffy (East Fremantle / 185 / 82 / 93)

Ex AIS kid who is a mercurial HF type who is arguably one of the best users of the footy in the pool. Well documented he has had some issues but to his credit he has put them behind him and gone on to play some good footy this year. Has genuine talent and would think he has to go without knowing enough of how he went in interviews.
AFL Comparison – Nat Fyfe / SJ
Roughie – Matt Jacquier is a player I ended up leaving out who I just think you could bracket with so many of his type in this draft.

# 96 GWS - Darren Mitchington (Dandenong / 181 / 76 / 93)

Came onto the scene late in the year for the Rays after having performed well at the local level. In fact he ended up playing 8 games for them and was named in the bests 5 times when he was predominantly used as a small fwd. He is absolutely electric to watch and has a knack for doing things that have a touch of class about them. Will start out as a small fwd I would think and will take some time as hasn’t really ever done a proper preseason and it might be this that gets him landed on a rookie list instead but for mine he is showing that he has huge scope for improvement. If he doesn’t go I suspect Rays will have him back as the development is huge and he didn’t do the preseason with them.
Roughie – Would have had Ross Tungatalum here but always worried about the kids who have gone home once.....best sit him on a rookie list first. Also keen to get a spot for Mal Lynch or Alroy Gilligan.

Rookie Draft
I had the names so thought I would at least aim to get them up and attempt to order them but there are a lot i need to switch around like Sam Dwyer - shoudl be higher. Will update through the weekend and next week as have time.

ROUND 1

# 1 GWS - Cameron Shenton (Norwood – med fwd)

21yo medium fwd who really wanted to drop into the National Draft to a club looking for a medium fwd ready to go. Teams like the GWS, Swans, Tigers and Melbourne along with Port came to mind. Aggressive type who has express pace, very good hands above and below knees and is very creative around goals. Saw a lot of him and would say he would be a strong chance to get drafted. Good fit for GWS.

# 2 Gold Coast Suns - Tom Sundberg (Collingwood VFL)

Ball magnet who absolutely dominated the VFL this year and I think was named in the bests in all bar one game. Tough and aggressive type who will give you 110%. On the smaller side and probably not overly quick but if you thought of Paul Licuria but slightly quicker and a better ball user you would be on the money. Might not be exactly what Pies are after given need for talls but if he was here they may just grab him.

# 3 Port - Brayden Ohara (Central Districts – HB & Wing)

Personally am staggered he doesnt rate higher. Had O’Hara as high as #50 odd in previous version and think he could be a super fit for a club looking for a mature age player who is ready to go and possesses, line breaking ability, a high level of skill and genuine pace.

# 4 Lions - Jordan Kelly (Dandenong – med back)

Just couldn’t slot him in but could go from 50 onwards and will appeal to a club looking for a 3rd tall defender who is aggressive at the ball. Reminds me a bit of a Matt Scarlett type. Plays taller than his listed height and makes up for it by reading the play pretty well. Skills are fine and they wont hold him back – I probably just saw a bit more from others but I am against the grain on this one. Memories of Joe Dare and Dylan Grimes maybe!

# 5 Adelaide - Lachie Neale (Glenelg - midfielder)

If this kid was 5cm taller (he is 177) he would be pushing into the first round and its for that reason you ask yourself have i got him far to low......and the answer is i think i do! Prolific ball winner, who is one touch and very clean at every level he played this year and some of his senior performances late in the season were outstanding - he had something like 20 odd touches and 5 or 6 clearances in one of the ones I saw. Runs hard and is very adept at running offensively to be damaging on the scoreboard. Tested very well and its staggering he didnt get a DC invite so that makes you wonder.

# 6 Melbourne - Rhys Waters (Subiaco – Mid / Utility)

I have probably been talked out of him a bit as he was one player I was really keen on at the start of the year but didn’t perform well at champs and whilst he had some really good form at Subiaco which resulted in some senior action I just couldn’t squeeze him in. In saying that the debut for Subi was good. Played middle and HF and kicked 2 goals from memory and collected 20 possessions. Then backed it up again next week and took some good form into Colts final.

# 7 Richmond - Jake Hammond (Oakleigh – med fwd)

Another of the medium fwds who I was keen to slot higher than this and frankly have a pretty wide range on (like a lot of players this year). Unfortunately though he just didn’t measure as tall as would like and testing was a bit mixed. In saying that not sure he was at peak fitness at any stage of year so could go higher given a club may have done the complete check on him. Can kick a bag and averaged 2.5 goals a game this year at TAC level as a HF which is pretty impressive.

# 8 Fremantle - Matthew Jacquier (WWT – medium fwd)

I think there is a bit of a view around that he has fallen off a bit this year but am not so sure. SA had a really good group of mids and medium fwds at champ time and I am not writing him off because of his non appearance and I think from memory he might have been battling some injuries anyway. Certainly in one of the trials leading into the Champs he kicked 4 or 5 from memory. At U18 level he has been a really consistent performer all year and has regularly hit the scoreboard as a leadup marking fwd. Is your genuine 3rd tall who shares some similarity with guys like Chris Mayne. His movement at ground level is pretty good laterally and is a lovely kick for goal. Massive chance for mine.

# 9 Bulldogs - Jack Frost (Williamstown – Tall defender)

Was a kid I had in my mock last year and was desperately keen for Pies to select but didn’t even land a rookie spot. Went onto play for Williamstown in the VFL Reserves and performed really well and then ultimately pushed up into the seniors and was sensational for them and did some really good jobs on some decent players. Will certainly have caught the eye and was as impressive as any young key back that was taken last year so is deserving. Needs to add some weight but like his younger brother Sam he is quick and agile and that are two pretty good attributes for a key back at AFL level. Huge chance to go late I would think.

# 10 North - Xavier Richards (Sandy Dragons - Key Fwd)

Interesting player who at times impressed me a fair bit and then at other times I thought he struggled. I think what you get here is a kid who is an athlete who is still learning his footy craft. Certainly has a red hot go and clearly gives it everything. Moves well and shows more than glimpes of what he might be but at times his impact and decision making are found a bit wanting. Am also not sure his kick penetration is as could as you would like but look I dont want to overstate the negatives bc he is a kid like Sam Reid who could just develop and put it all together in a year or two. He could land a ND spot but without knowing intimately I would think its more likely a rookie spot.

# 11 Essendon - Lewis Hender (Glenelg - Medium Fwd)

I may yet move this kid a lot higher up bc am just staggered he is till left. At the start of the year I would have had him in the 15 - 30 range given his bottom age performances last year where he really turned it on in a couple of games. Probably didnt come along as would have liked this year but he still dominated at u18 level and in fact he got a bit of senior action late and was impressive with 3 goals. Have him sliding bc not sure if the body is as sharp as could be. Certainly has all the talent and if a club was confident they could improve the engine he could be a pick from 50 onwards.

# 12 Saints - Frazer Dale (Calder - Midfielder / Fwd)

Really wanted to slot in but couldn’t because I probably just didn’t see him at his best and dropped in guys like Crisp instead. Admittedly not much splits and think he could fall late but will definitely go rookie. Very quick and clean and comes with big wraps from those close after showing genuine improvement through the year.

# 13 Swans - Cameron Eardley (East Frem – midfielder)

Midfielder from WA who would have to be a late selection to an early rookie. Plays more inside and always performs well when I have seen but just maybe lacks a standout feature. Tough, clean hands and uses it well. Can take a mark as well.

# 14 Carlton - Courtney Hylton (Western Jets – HB / Wing)

Not sure if Suns will use this pick but wanted to throw this kid in. 19yo who had some injury issues through the year but at his best showed enough tricks for someone to take a punt on him. He is not dissimilar to a Dempsey or a Harbrow insomuch as his best footy is off HB where he gets to use his pace and he can break lines. He is very clean with the ball and whilst his decision making can be a bit off at times he tends to use it pretty well.

# 15 WCE - Simon Tunbridge (GWS)

Medium fwd from WA who was with GWS but got 'homesick'...me thinks might have a little more to do with one of the WA clubs have a spot for him! Saw him play some decent footy for them and if you caught the second half of their Foxtel Cup game you would be pretty keen on him.

# 16 Hawks - Damien Mascitti (Oakleigh - medium fwd)

Kicked 37 goals for Oakleigh this year and got a State Screen but always wary of taking kids like him to high. Plenty of examples where his type have fallen to the rookie draft and think it might be the same for this kid. Pretty sure he will be drafted and would be a chance late ND I guess. Good speed, agililty and skill and ability to kick some bags so worth watching.

# 17 Collingwood - Sam Gordon (Geelong / Tall Fwd)

Ex AIS kid who is a super height for a KPF but has been up and down this year. Plays APS so we havent seen much of him but he went reasonably well at the champs vs Tas and SA and was missed in their final game after injuring his ankle. Came back in last couple of weeks for Falcons and has been good. In fact he has done well in all his TAC games this year averaging over 3 goals per game. Is reasonably good aerobically and sound over the first few yards to create space and distance but he is an absolute competitor and in the vision I have seen just looks like he will become a player. In saying all that he is a bit unknown because he didn’t test other than for height which was a bit shorter than what would have been ideal.

# 18 Geelong - Michael Mascoulis (Northern Knights - midfielder)

Was injured for much of the year and really seemed to struggle when he did get on the paddock. Haven’t seen a lot of this year but saw enough last year to suggest has some tricks and hence he is very draftable. Is very good 1:1 and he is a terrific size for a midfielder as well. Lovely foot skills and has good speed and endurance as well. Could play wing or either of the flanks but suspect he will start at HB at an AFL club and go from there. Chance he will go rookie simply because of the injuries but in a draft that is pretty even from here he has tricks that make him a huge chance.

# 19 GWS - Daniel Pearce (Oakleigh - midfielder)

Medium Midfielder from Chargers who went to State Screening and had a really good second half to the year (including finals) and would have to be in the batch of kids who will get taken from there. Just where I am not certain and could see him a lot higher than this but its such a lottery. Good mover and is a very good ball user. They have a terrific programme and wouldnt surprise to see him get a chance. Havent seen some of his testing for a bit but I think its fair to say the motor needed a bit of tuning this year

# 20 Gold Coast - Alex Brown (Oakleigh - medium back)

Genuine modern day HB flanker in the Alex Johnstone mould. Lot of his kids taken over last few years and just had a couple ahead of him this year but is an excellent reader of the play, courageous and uses it very well coming out. WOuld think he would be a rookie as debated taking him in the ND.

# 21 Port - Thomas Schwarz (WWT - utility

Young kid from WWT who is an excellent HB and who I thought Port may have tried to take as a F/S. Have seen a bit of him and reads the play really well and can play tall or small or even loose. Late chance for mine but probably more a rookie unless Port hit him.

# 22 Brisbane - Jack Charleston (Western Jets / 177 / 83 / 93)

Was surprised that he didn’t get an invite to DC and can only think the issue is height because he seems to tick most other boxes. He has had a super year for the Jets where he has predominantly played off HB. Tough and aggressive type who can win his own ball and sort of player who runs the lines pretty well - reminds me a bit of Jason Tutt. His ball use is very good and he has the athletics background which should allow him to get into the midfield in later years but he will definitely start as a BP / HBF type. Huge chance for mine.

# 23 Adelaide - Fletcher Roberts (Sandringham Dragons - Key Fwd)

Who knows where to rank this kid. Split his time between ruck and fwd through the year and was handy without being a standout until the finals campaign. Had a good game vs our blokes and then sprung to notoriety with his 4 goal qtr to help drag Sandy over the line in the GF and it was a great performance. Smart player who uses the body well and has a good pair of hands. Nothing wrong with the kicking and in fact its one of his real strengths. I just dont have him going as high bc not sure if over the year there was enough output.

# 24 Melbourne - Jackson Coleman (Sandy Dragons - Key Fwd)

Over age tall from Sandy who just got better and better as year went on and showed he can go fwd and back. Could have easily had him in but I probably just expected a bit more from a guy who was an over age player in the TAC system. The thing that is going for him is that he is a genuine fwd who can pinch hit in the ruck and really came on late in the season. Would definately expect him to be rookied and may be a late chance in the ND.

# 25 Richmond - John McCarthy (Collingwood)

Appears he will go in the PSD for them.

# 26 Fremantle - Chad Sandilands (East Fremantle - Ruck)

Kid is a beanpole and is a long way off being ready to play AFL. Played a few Colts games this year and whilst at 204cm he dominated the hit outs as you would expect he struggled around the ground. Thats not surprising and given I remember when Aaron started it wont scare clubs as its not disimilar to his story. Fremantle are making noises they will rookie him but I wonder if someone might not get in first and just tuck him away for 3 years.

# 27 Western Bulldogs - John McKenzie (TAS - inside mid)

Capt Tas and I probably should have this kid a lot higher bc he was very good at champs and his performances got him an AA jumper and TAS MVP. Tough inside ball winner who is one touch and uses it well without being elite. Can push fwd and kick a goal but I wouldnt say it was necessaruily his go. Circa 178cm which should be fine and just wonder if its a lack of pace that got resulted in him not getting a DC invite. Footballers footballer if you know what I mean and reminds a little of guys like Licuria. Should be a definate rookie and from there I think he will go pretty well.

# 28 North Melbourne - Malcolm Lynch (Port Melb – HB / Wing)

If they framed a market for potential draftees he would have been pretty short at the start of the year but I felt he drifted bit albeit he had set a blistering pace. Came back and played a pretty good finals series. Has genuine speed and an elite foot. Can he win his own footy though? Can definitely see him going and Collingwood might be the club as he plays the Leon role pretty well. Only takes one club. Has the pace and skill level for AFL. I think he is a big chance to go to a club like Port or Richmond who might be looking for more pace out of defence.

# 29 Essendon - Ross Tungatalum (NT Thunder - small fwd)

Ex Saint who headed back up to Thunder and absolutely 'smoked' 'em this year and would have him under serious consideration for Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond. Has real speed and is a genuine crumber who doesnt mind going into heat of battle to win his ball. Kicked a lot of goals this year and performed very well in big games. WOuldnt be surprised to see him go from 50 onwards.

# 30 St Kilda - Beau Dowler (Hawthorn - Key Fwd)

Looks a chance to be drafted by the Saints which is great bc he certainly showed a lot at underage level and it sometimes takes a bit with the bigger kids - especially if had a few injuries.

# 31 Sydney Swans - Will Farrer (NT Thunder – Med fwd)

One of my favourite footballers of the year. Could be the next Mick OLoughlin. 21 yo who played for NT Thunder off HF where his leap and agility made him a difficult matchup. Played well against good opposition in the Foxtel Cup and had a ripping GF where he booted 5 I think vs Morningside from memory. Lots to work with and may go late but probably more likely a rookie as suspect will need a lot of work on the body / fitness. Gee he has a leap though! I suspect he will definitely go as he has a truckload of untapped talent.

# 32 Carlton - Beau Wilkes (Claremont - Tall Fwd)

Ex Eagle who was played back more than fwd during AFL career but was thrown up front for Claremont and he was a key driver in their premiership win. Just got better and better as year went on kicked some bags for them. Very aggressive and hits pack hard. Probably better on lead but 2nd efforts are v good.

# 33 WCE - Ryan Cook (South Fremantle - midfielder)

Ex Collingwood midfielder is a chance to turn up at the Coasters IMO. He had a standout year and performed really well in some big games. Very fit guy who was a good ball winner but at times he just seemed to struggle a bit with his decision making and execution. There were some v good games in there though - remember Essendon at the G and vs Adelaide in the final over there a few years ago he was really really good. His endurance suits Subi and plays the coaches style.

# 34 Hawthorn - Allroy Gilligan (Claremont - Small fwd)

Ex Tiger who didnt adjust to Melbourne well and reportedly had some off field issues to deal with. Not sure if Melbourne is back on his agenda but he has matured in all facets and his footy is electric. Terrific crumber and I probably rate him 3rd in the pool for mature age small fwds. Skills are good and can play up the ground as well. The only knock is a bit of consistency.

# 35 Collingwood - Danny Butcher (Gippsland - midfielder)

Had a sensational year for Gippy (finished in the bests 14 out of 19 games!) and is a really nice midfielder who is probably a little more inside but also capable outside. Should be talked about much more because he has the tools. Has surprisingly good pace (2.8s for 20m) and runs close to a 15 beep test. Has some work to do on his agility but overall a very handy player. Unfortunately just a lot of his type so could easily see him in the ND. Could see him landing at Collingwood quite easily as he reminds me a bit of Tom Hunter and Tristan Francis.

# 36 Geelong - David Mirra (Box Hill – med defender)

Box Hill Hawk who was in the frame to be drafted a few years ago and has excelled at Box Hill. Plays HB and reads the play incredibly well. Foot skills are sensational and any team looking for a Quarter Back will do well.

# 37 GWS - Rick Ladson (Hawthorn - utility)

Excellent buying for GWS. Will be promoted quickly would think and be able to play in a lot of spots.

# 38 Gold Coast - Michael Coad (Suns - redrafted)

Expecting this guy to get another shot.

# 39 Port - Aseri Raikiwasa (Port Magpies - Tall Defender)

Cant help but be impressed by him. Athletic tall HB type who has great endeavour and just couldn’t squeeze him in. Had a super carnival and played great footy for Port through the year albeit maybe tapered a little as year went on. Looks like he could develop well though. Watched his Champ tapes again the other night. He was unlucky not to get ND spot in my Mock albeit that probably means he is more of a chance!

# 40 Brisbane Lions - Jack Hannath (Central Districts - Ruck)

Centrals ruckmen who is on the Lions radar and who the Crows are also a chance to look at. Came on really well this year and is still only 20. Might develop a bit like Darren Jolly actually albeit still needs to get around the ground a bit better but enough tools to work with.

# 41 Adelaide - Piva Wright (Dandenony - Tall defender)

Might be a real bargain for these blokes to get a kid like this so late. Reminds of Mal Michael in every way. Quick, agile and reasonably good kid but when you watch him closely he is very good in traffic at making good decisions which as a back is so important bc the right one can put you into good transition spots. Also has an ability to push fwd albeit I would have him as a key back prospect. Will probably take Will Young here though?

# 42 Melbourne - Brett Eddy (Collingwood VFL - Tall Fwd)

Not sure how the knee has come up but the 20yo showed enough to suggest that at his listed 194cm he has the potential to develop into a key fwd which is an obvious area for the Pies they need to work on. Moves well and is very athletic. Will rely on movement rather than contested marking. Skill level is as good as you will see for a tall and only knock would be at times looks laconic.

# 43 Richmond - Jay Lever (Geelong Falcons - Tall Fwd)

Highly rated at the start of the year but I think the coaches he was under all year struggled where to put him. He is 200cm and so is naturally a ruck sort of size so that is where he played at champs with varying degrees of success whereas at club level he is played more up fwd. If you look past that he has some great tools. Moves well, quite a good contested mark and a reasonably penetrating kick. Another who when I watched the tapes again I just thought geez there are a few tricks and a bit to work with. Bit like JOhn Ceglar in many ways.

# 44 Fremantle - Brad Dick (Collingwood)

If he gets fit this is a massive loss to Collingwood.

# 45 Western Bulldogs - Callum Sinclair (Port Melb – Tall Fwd / ruck)

Be interesting to see what happens with him because he has been around the mark for a few years but I didn’t think he showed the development some might have hoped for. Still in a ‘shallow’ pool he is worth a rookie spot for a club searching for some depth.

# 46 North Melbourne - Brendan Ah Chee (South Fremantle - Utility)

Young colt from South Fremantle who has plenty of the tools required but probably just hasnt shown enough yet. Get him into a development squad and a couple of years and see would be my view. Reminds of Shannon Cox the ex Pie as he could play a heap of roles and at 190cm with good pace and skill there is a few spots you could groom him.

# 47 Essendon - Ben Ross (North Melbourne)

Not entirely sure he will get redrafted but he should. Small fwd / midfielder who has real good speed and hits the ball hard. Dominated the best state league when he was fit and showed plenty in a few senior runs around the middle and up fwd. All the skills are there and to be honest when he first hit the scene I thought North had a beauty. So much would come down to having had the medics look at him but if he got a clean bill you would rookie him for sure.

# 48 St Kilda - Rory Taggart (North Ballarat - midfielder / fwd)

Terrific sized midfielder who can play a few different roles and has the ability to push fwd and kick goals. Got a guernsey for VC but not sure he ran out (certainly not the games i saw). Has reasonable pace but terrific agility and endurance. Skills are very good.

# 49 Swans - Cameron Valentine - (Bendigo - Tall fwd)

Interesting player who I just dont know where to peg. Started slowly for Bendigo and came into the Country side late vs Metro and did one or two nice things. Took off after champs though and along with Kerridge really dominated for Bendigo playing in a few different roles and ended getting a run in the VFL. Has reasonable pace but for me its his marking and kicking that stand out.

# 50 Carlton - Tom Derham (Port Magpies - medium fwd / midfielder)

Would not be at all surprised to see this kid get taken in the National Draft. Very late to footy having focussed on cricket and loads of potential. Only played the 12 games for Port u18s but kicked 39 goals and that was when he had spent a fair bit of time in the middle as well. Moves well, good overhead and is an excellent kick and decision maker. Can play middle or fwd and a bit to work with. Would be a bolter and most likely a rookie. I am thinking he could go late though...

# 51 West Coast Eagles - Paul Medhurst

Geez this will hurt me..........

# 52 Hawthorn - Lachlan Edwards (Geelong Falcons - Utility)

Third tall fwd type who seems to read the game really well and knows how to get to the right spots. Very strong in contest, good hands and then uses it well by hand and foot on either side of him. Genuinely has ticks a lot of boxes. I think the interesting thing about this kid is he can also play back and have seen him run across HB and do it really well. Not sure whether it was done to build his work rate but gee he looked composed down there. Good judges i know rate though so may and told he is a chance to go higher. IN fact i saw his tapes again the other night and I should have higher than here.

# 53 Collingwood - Ben Darrou (Sandy Dragons - Tall Defender)

Tall HB type who didn’t really rate early in year because I just didnt think he moved well enough but saw some of his games later in the season and thought I was watching a different player. Attacks the ball really well and makes good decisions when he gets it. Kicking is good so the only thing I was worried about was would he test well enough and he did so you would think he is a definate chance. Certainly has all the footy smarts and skills.

# 54 Geelong - Daniel Kulikowski ( Port Magpies – midfielder)

18yo mid who have seen him a few times and I really like him. Terrific decision maker in traffic and has sensational hands. More inside than outside but huge engine and work rate and can push fwd and kick a goal. Played a lot of senior footy this year and wasnt out of place at all. Bit surprised not more highly spoken of.

# 55 GWS - Jordan King-Wilson (NT / North Adelaide - small back)

Good fun to watch this kid bc their aint much of him but someone forgot to tell him. Plays small back and is probably a bit like Harbrow in that he has genuine speed and a real desire to attack from defence. IN the games I have seen he sometimes overplays it a bit but if you could curb it a bit then you have a real player. All the skills, pace and desire are there. Decision making is the only thing for me. Chance to go a lot earlier actually if he wasnt already taken by GWS. I would have thought he may have been behind Williams.

# 56 Gold Coast Suns - Michael Coad (Suns)

# 57 Port Adelaide - Jimmi Savage (Norwood - Tall Fwd)

Super player last year for Norwood and went to GWS. In fact kicked their first ever goal but things didn’t work out and he ended up being sent home early. Hasn’t shone since being back but an SA club may have seen enough to give him another go.

# 58 Brisbane Lions - Dylan Orval (Oakliegh - medium fwd)

Kid who I originally had a lot higher but he didnt quite measure up to the height for a KP that I thought might rocket him up a bit. Had a serious knee injury and came back to play a handful of games without dominating. Got a DC invite and so there is genuine interest in bc he showed a fair bit as a bottom age medium fwd as well. Injuries have cruelled him and expect to see him in the rookie. Tested ok but 20m sprint could be better but thats probably a function of the knee.

# 59 Adelaide - Jarrad Harding (GWS - medium fwd)

Drifted off peoples radars and you have to remember how good he was before he went to Sydney. He was electric and if I remember correctly kicked 60 odd goals from 15 games or something. Quick and clever and uses it very well. Am sure he will be picked up but may have to improve the work rate a bit.

# 60 Melbourne - Luke Blackwell (Claremont - midfielder)

Mature age WA kid who has improved his kicking and offensive run this year a lot. Club looking for a mature age midfielder who can run all day should look no further. Absolutely dominated over in the WAFL and was v v good in their state game.

# 61 Richmond - Lin Jong (Oakliegh - utility)

Debuted for Oaklegh this year and really impressed with this kid and should have him a lot higher. Infectious little bugger who I think could be groomed to play a variety of roles and showed that with Oakliegh this year with stints all over the ground including the ruck which at 188cm says something for his vertical leap. Tested very well from what I understand and you just need to watch him to see the speed and agility he possesses. Skills are good and i think woudl probably suit a range of spots so very draftable. Did some nice things in the TAC GF to. In the bests 8 out of his 14 games and huge scope for improvement.

# 62 Fremantle - Alex Howard (Swan Districts - tall defender)

Tall defender from WA who was good at the champs but didnt stand out for me. I know a few very good posters rate highly. In saying that he never did anything wrong and looked safe when he had the ball. Always used it well but probably just didnt influence it for mine. Got half a dozen senior games late in the year and went all right. Caught one of those games and was good without being a standout.

# 63 Western Bulldogs - Corey Dell'olio (South Fremantle - small fwd)

22 yo who has come along really well and who I caught a few times this year. Ended up with something like 50+ goals and has been largely unheralded. Maybe a bit like Patrick Rose in that he isnt your classic crumber he is more your power small fwd like Mark WIlliams or Paul Medhurst was. Still he brings something and would be a chance in the rookie on what I saw.

# 64 North Melbourne - Gavin Urquhart (North Melbourne)

Not sure whose going to come up wiht the better part of $300k so suspect its back to North. Hope he turns it around bc he has plenty of good attributes.

# 65 Essendon - Luke Rander (Norwood - Tall Fwd)

196cm FF / CHF who can pinch hit in the ruck but who we didnt get to see much of at champs and who only got a SS. Notwithstanding, actually think he is a genuine smokey to go in the National Draft bc there are flaws in a lot of the kids we have seen a bit more of but having seen this kid am pretty excited. Has been exposed to u18 and reserves over last couple of years and performed well but it was a couple of late season games where he bagged 6's and 7's which will have caught attention. Moves really well on the lead and is a nice mark and kick. Very keen to drop in as think he has a lot of potential.

# 66 St Kilda - Daniel Joseph (Glenorchy - midfielder)

I probably should have this kid a lot higher because there isnt many flaws in his game.....he ticks most boxes and he is another that having watched the tapes again am regretting dont have higher. Predominantly an inside midfielder who had a good champs without being outstanding (ave 13 touches) and its probably that as to why I have dropped him down a bit bc I would have thought as a mid he should be a bit higher than that. In saying that he is a beaut left foot kick of the footy and tends to weight them quite well, his ball use in close is sharp, does the little things you want from a stoppage player (eg tackles) and has reasonable pace and tested well enough. He actually strikes me as a Collingwood type they like to recruit and reminds me a little of Dayne Beams

# 67 Swans - Mitch Brewer (Morningside - Ruck)

Left fielder but have him train with Shane Mumford for a couple of years and you might be surprised bc he appears to have all the tools except for the body shape which just needs to be AFL tuned. Late starter and well worth a go I would think at Swans or Lions.

# 68 Carlton - PASS

# 69 West Coast Eagles - PASS

# 70 Hawthorn - Coleman Schache (North Ballarat - midfielder)

Handy midfielder who was excellent for Rebels this year playing 12 games and finishing in the bests 9 times. Represented Vic Country and was good for them as well but the issue with Coleman I think is what is the standout feature. He is just a really good solid footballer who does a lot of things well but just lacks that one thing that makes you stand up. Other than that I cannot fault him and I really hope he gets a chance but if he doesnt then he should get into a VFL unit and wait his turn as it will come. I think the range on him is pretty big actually.

# 71 Collingwood - Daniel Farmer (Collingwood)

Redraft him as there is a fair bit of talent there and whilst only showed glimpes he might just take a bit of time. In a weaker pool he certainly should go.

# 72 Geelong - Shaun Wyatt (Gippsland - midfielder / utility)

Capt of the Power this year and was a really good contributor in the games I got to see them. Had one game where he got the ball 48 times but has gone very unheralded on here. He is quick but he doesnt use it and hence he doesnt stand out - he is more an accumulator who gets it, moves it on efficienty by hand or foot and generally makes good decisions. there is a bit to work with. I have seen some of his test results and he has recorded #'s like 2.8s over 20m, an 8.7 agility and 15 beep. Dont be surprised if he goes a lot higher than I have him.

# 73 GWS - Simon Deery (Gippsland Power - Tall utility)

He is another that I rate pretty highly and not sure if thats because he is one of our locals. Got a DC invite so genuine interest in him and been part of the VC outfit for 2 years. He could / should go higher than this but will depend on his testing. Has played back and fwd and is a little like Goldsack for mine. I probably prefer him across HB where he can read the play and intercept. Takes a lovely mark and he is a good ball user. The knock on him is he needs to continue to work on the engine as his testing has been mixed at times albeit it improved this year.

# 74 Suns - Hal Hunter (Calder - medium back)

Highly rated by the coaching group and has played in the middle and back and represented Metro. Good decision maker who is very calm under pressure and makes good decisions coming out of the back half and then distributes really well. He is a bit unassuming and doesnt do a lot to catch the eye but you have to watch what he is not doing....and thats making mistakes. Very clean and if hadnt had some injury issues woudl be right into the calcs.

# 75 Port - Jason Williams (Calder - medium back)

One of the highly rated ones at the start of the year (inside and outside the Cannons) who had an up and down year in '11 unfortunately (his best performances were when the champs were on and a few were out so not sure how you read that) and whose prospects have probably slid a bit. Still he went to DC and his testing will be important bc it was an area for development with him. In terms of footy skill he does it all; marks well, good kick, does the 1% 'ers and has good speed - he just needs to get more of it and influence the game a bit more and i suspect thats an issue more about the 'engine' than anything else.

# 76 Brisbane Lions - Lincoln McCarthy (Gleleng - midfield / fwd)

Attracted a bit of interesting the lad from Glenelg and had a very good second half to the year. He is a midfield / fwd type who is a really good user of the ball and am sure would be on a few radars albeit my history with guys like Rankine suggest I shouldnt get to excited.

# 77 Adelaide - Nick Dinham (Norwood - Key Fwd)

SA key position fwd who didn’t get a SA spot. Very hard working fwd with a good motor and terrific hands. Played u18 and reserves footy and would be on a few radars.

# 78 Melbourne - Luke Wilson (Port Magpies - small fwd)

DC invitee so genuine interest in and is one I really hope gets a go because gee has some x factor. Had a very good year for Port where he showcased his genuine speed, skill and agility but moreover he showed he can turn games of footy and that is exactly the type you look in the rookie draft. Can drift into the middle and has no problem picking up the tempo but think the engine needs a couple of AFL preseasons before he will be ready for seniors. Will need a couple of good steak dinners though.

# 79 Richmond - Doug Morris (Northern Knights - midfielder) / John Heslin (Ireland)

Not sure whether Doug goes or not to be perfectly honest. If you assessed on desire, footy skill and leadership you would take for sure but just not convinced he has the pace that clubs may be looking for. His kicking is ok without being outstanding so dont think that will hold him back but I just cant see a standout with the kid. In saying that I really enjoy watching him bc he has a red hot go, leads from the front and has no problem finding the footy.

# 80 Fremantle - Sam Dwyer (Port Melb - midfielder)

Classy mid who shone for them and would have to be on the radars for clubs looking for a smooth moving mid who can play inside and outside who has good speed from the stoppage and just uses it really well. Can run offensively and is not a player opposition teams want the ball in the hands of coming into 50. He could have an immediate impact and i forgot a bit about him and should have him a lot higher as I had him from 60 onwards in the draft proper. He is up there with Sundberg, Cook, OHara, Shenton, Blackwell, Florio as mature agers to go and his scope for improvement is still there.

# 81 Western Bulldogs - Anthony Tipungwuti (NT - small fwd)

Electric small fwd who can change a game in moments. His is exceptionally quick and is very composed in traffic and has an ability to make others look a little silly. His skills would be at the elite end but the issue for this kid is he really needs to work on the engine.

# 82 North Melbourne - Ozgur Uysal (Calder Cannons - Mid / Fwd)

I thought he was a pretty strong chance to go last year and would be surprised if he wasnt a late pick or a rookie this year. Came back as an 19yo this year and he probably went under the radar a bit bc he didnt start the year terribly well but he certainly finished it off well and got 2nd in their B&F. I think he is more a fwd than a mid at AFL level as he is a silky mover and knows where to get to. Lovely skills and looks a bit effortless. Also had some VFL experience and went ok. Classy type and have him to low here.

# 83 Essendon - Damian Volta (Eastern Ranges - midfielder)

Had a super year for the Ranges and finished off the year extremely well after starting slowly to finish in their best 10 out of 17 times. Good height but he is going to need to hit the Carbs and get some size about him. Got good speed and his use of the ball is pretty good but its his hands that I think are his better feature. One of those kids who might surprise on draft day bc there is a bit to work with. He can win his own footy to.

# 84 St Kilda - Alex Greenwood ( Eastern Ranges - Midfielder)

Sometimes there are players like Greenwood you just know probably wont get a shot because their are so many of them but I really hope he gets a go bc there are few that put in more. If he doesnt watch out for him in the VFL next year bc he will be picked and he will be good. Tough inside mid who excels around the contest and who was outstanding for the Ranges. Very physical and adept at winning his own ball and is extremely calm in the contest and uses it well be it by hand or foot. Interestingly in the few games I saw him play he also wasnt bad at receiving around the contest and hitting a target up so may have an extra trick there. Probably just lacks the standout factor a bit like John McKenzie and a couple of others.

# 85 Sydney Swans - Max Warren (Eastern Ranges - midfielder)

Eastern Ranges kid who was probably one i didnt see the best of. Very proficient midfielder but just not sure where he will go and am probably not the one to ask. Know a few people rate him highly bc of ball use and speed but I havent really seen it.

# 86 Carlton - PASS

# 87 West Coast - PASS

# 88 Hawthorn - Lachlan Smith (Murray Bushrangers - Med Fwd)

Another 190cm medium fwd who looks to have good hands and is a lovely kick.

# 89 Collingwood - PASS

# 90 Geelong - Tim Totevski (northern Knights - small fwd)

Just an angry little small fwd in the mould of Milne. Dahlaus success gives him and guys like Gotch and Rioli a real shot.

# 91 GWS - Ryan Monaghan (Geelong - Midfielder)

At the start of the year I was told to keep an eye on him bc he was one of those types that is a natural footballer. I think he got injured and he didnt play there for a bit but he finished in their bests 7 times and they had some handy types down there this year so a good effort. He plays in the middle and have only seen him a couple of times but looks a good mover and is a good user of the ball. He is one I could see going a bit higher.

# 92 Gold Coast - Michael Musicka (South Launceston - Wing)

Very quick wing and he is a terrific user. Surprised me at champs as wasnt looking for him but took notice in the end.

# 93 Port - Kyle Hartigan (Werribee - Tall defender)

Tall defender who was a chance a few years ago and has been knocking on the door for a while. Still showing improvement and this might be his year.

# 94 Brisbane Lions - Richard Newell

# 95 Adelaide - PASS

# 96 Melbourne - Dylan Riley (South Launceston - Midfielder)

If this kid could be a bit cleaner by foot I think he would probably go a bit higher. He was one of the Tassie kids I was really looking fwd to watching this year. He has good height, speed and endurance. Good in traffic and makes good decisions but you just have to be a very good user by the foot and in some of the games I saw him I just didnt think he used it as well as he could have.

# 97 Richmond - PASS

# 98 Fremantle - Steve Rusca (Central Districts - medium defender)

I dont think we saw the best of Rusca at carnival time but from what I saw of his work at SANFL level he was very good and he would be one many may have under rated. Most SA players are skillful and he is no different. Very good ball user and quite strong in traffic. Seems to make good decisions and would be a handy rookie if around.

# 99 North Melb - Mark Baguley (Frankston - med back)

Well built HB type who is tough at the footy and a good user.

# 100 Western Bulldogs - PASS

# 101 Essendon - Jack JOhnstone (Gippsland Power - Medium Defender)

Quick HB flanker from Gippy who got some interest and was sent to DC for testing. Has good speed and is creative off HB but at times just seems to do over do it a bit for me.

# 102 Saints - Toby Stribling (Sth Adel - midfielder)

# 103 Swans - Sam Dobson (North Ballarat Rebels - Med Fwd)

Wasnt sure where to drop this kid and pretty sure he woudl be looked at before here. HF type who had a good year kicking 31 goals from a HF which was a pretty good effort. Got some time for VC and looked handy there as well. Reminds a bit of MacAffer type player. Good strong sort of player who is a good mark and solid kick. Could probably play other roles.

# 104 Carlton - PASS

# 105 West Coast Eagles - PASS

# 106 Hawthorn - Lachlan Boyd (Sandringham Dragons - Med Fwd)

Little bit to like about Lachlan and not the least are his terrific foot skills. He has a weapon there and has a good degree of athleticism to go with and would be well worth a shot in the rookie draft. Just appears a bit laconic to me at times and can be a bit frustrating.

# 107 Collingwood - PASS

# 108 Geelong - Sean Tighe (Werribee - Tall Utility)

In a draft where the geniune talls have a lot of question marks against them would not surprise to see Tighe go. Missed out a few years ago and has proved a lot of recruiters wrong with his development over last couple of seasons. He played fwd and back in the VFL and did some excellent jobs for them. Club looking for a key position swing man woudl do well to look at him.

Remaining rookie shots

Frankly to many to mention as could have thrown a blanket over 100 players from 50-60 onwards but here are a few (will finish the profiles over the next week or so for these);

Scott Burnett – midfielder / fwd for Port who was their B&F last year I think (?). Had some terrific games and got better as the year wore on. Can rack up possessions and excels in close. Also can run fwd and hurt. Only 166cm though.

Ben Gazzola - SA

Hayden Hector – GP

Tom Langford – Havent seen enough but I know a few blokes who have seen him who rate him very highly. Terrific mark and huge work rate CHF type.

Nathan Batsanis – Port midfielder who has been on Ports list. Was an excellent junior and has developed the pace and running capacity to be considered a genuine prospect again. Had a very good year.

Kory Beard – Port CHB who is very good and had a super finish to the year. Bit of your old fashioned bull type CHB.

Jake Beech – Doesnt get much mention but a genuine ruck prospect with good height and who is fairly agile and good below the knees. Seen him play some good games but seem like I am the only one.

Lachlan Boyd – Tall kid with excellent skills and athletic ability from Sandy who just oozes class and looks like a footballer. Results haven’t been as good as others but lots of potential.

Jacob Carger - SA

Aaron Hall – Seen a bit of him this year and he has some genuinely good traits as a small fwd (quick, good goal sense, neat kick) but I think he is much more likely to be rookied given he is largely untested having been in the TSL.

Justin Joyce – 19yo midfielder from WA who just racks up getting the footy and is a natural footballer but just not sure he has a standout feature to get a ND selection. If he doesn’t get rookied he will go on to dominate WAFL and be picked up later.

Jon Gianinni – Norwood mid and going well. Inside type.

Brayden Grenfell - Calder. Was close last year and whilst a slow start this year really started to shine later in year. With not a lot of depth and him being a multi-position tall he could get in.

Joel Leeson – over age WA midfielder / fwd who I saw a couple of times and really liked. Very thin for 19 but possesses some tricks. More likely to watch for in WAFL next year though.

Patrick Levicki – ruck key position type who saw a lot of footy at SANFL reserves level and didn’t disappoint.

Brad Mangan – Werribee mature age player who had a super season and has a body ready to go. Good endurance and a genuinely elite kick.

Shaun Marusic – Over ager who played TAC again this year and was good. Also saw some time at VFL level. Good player and nice size and good athletic capability will enable him to be developed in a few roles.

Kieran McGuinness – Norwood mature ager who could fill a role at Crows for a year or two.

Luke Morabito – Brother of Anthony who doesn’t get many plaudits and probably haven’t seen enough of to be sure where he might go.

John Nysokus – SA inside midfielder who was in the SA squad but we didn’t see much of. Certainly played well at SANFL level and was pretty prominent for them at times.

Peter Persinos - SA

Matt Suckling – Ex Sandy / Port and now Norwood inside mid who I think was the leading stoppage winner in the SANFL. Not a bad trick in the modern game.

Sean Tighe – Tall KP utility type who missed out a few years ago but has bounced back and come from the VFL reserves this year to have some really dominant games in key fwd and back posts. Still needs to fill out but plenty going for him.

Sam Tonkes – SA utility who I liked the look of but seems more a rookie prospect given no real standout feature

Patrick Weardon – Bushy lad who Pies seem to be into. Haven’t seen him at his best but a typical Hine type player. Tall, athletic, good hands and good skills.

Mitch Woofindin – Got some time for Port I think late in the year. Excellent at the stoppages but bit under sized historically and more likely to be in rookie. Very Jarryd Blair like at same age. Wouldn’t surprise at all.

Great stuff Snoop :thumbsu:

It's going to be interesting to see where Grigg goes. As i've said in other threads, the fellas i've spoken to at Norwood don't rate him all that highly.

They rated Tom Langford highly though.

You actually picked for us two of the guys I've pumped up on the Geelong board - Lockyer and Ben Brown.

Here's a point of difference on Lockyer though - I said he reminded me a bit of Joel Corey.

Just another question.... I actually was reading this from the bottom up, and I noticed you have Murray Newman going below 3 of our picks, and I thought, he's a bloke I wouldn't mind getting, has the sort of skills we like.

Then I saw you mentioned him as an option with our 2nd pick, but then didn't have us taking him with our 3rd pick either. Any reasoning behind that?

good to see the eagles getting manson,really hope this happens.
for our other pick would be happy with nelson,murray,devon smith or lockyer

Great effort Snoop. Great read as always. Think you have nailed allot of the rankings.

Murray Newman would be a great find, have a feeling he might go in a little earlier.

The two I find interesting who you couldn't fit in are Jordan Kelly and Cameron Valentine. Would be interested where you rate both in relation to the draft.

Nick Vlastuin is draft eligable next year. Will go early. You had him somewhere under unlucky.

Also good to see I'm not the only one who rates Seb Ross. On quality rate in my top 20. Agree he should get more hype on here than he has received. Thought I was the only one on his bandwagon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

# 50 Collingwood – Murray Newman (Swan Districts / 179 / 67 / 93)
Massive fan of this kid and cant believe isn’t more highly rated…. I actually think this kid could be a real bolter. He is a bloody ripper and whilst he spent most of the year in the Swan District seniors he is probably 2 years off having an AFL body he will be well worth the wait. Very classy mover who can middle and fwd albeit think he will be a small fwd in his earlier years. Just never seems to lose his feet and uses it well either side and is almost cat like in his ability to move across the field. Played most of the year in the WAFL senior side after kicking 6 in his first and only Colts game. Didn’t put a foot wrong in the seniors and his last game was very good.
AFL Comparison – Actually reminds me a bit of Aker in some ways. Has that cat like ability to just stay on his feet and go from either side of the body. Also can play up and down the ground.
Roughie – I think the Pies would be keen on a tall forward and so wouldn’t surprise to see one of Gordon , Sheahan, Hammond, Orval, Brown, or Murphy here. Steve Verrier is a kid who strikes me as a ‘Hine” type.

Sounds Like a Ripper but we already brought in 2 Simmlar Size Players in Elliot and Yagmoor. Good Player not the Correct Type I would Think. I still think it be more of a KPP like Sam Gordon

# 65 Collingwood – Nick Murphy (Oakleigh / 194 / 87 / 93)
Not sure exactly where Nick Murphy goes because without knowing which screening he went to I would have thought he was pretty high (ie I expected him at DC). The fact he only went State makes me think I am over rating him and hence why I have dropped him back. Very mobile key position player who was well performed last year and who kicked a bag of goals this year including 5 in the GF. Very mobile forward who probably relies more on this than his ability to take contested marks. Is a beautiful kick and with his basketball background there is a lot to work with. Would probably like to see a touch more aggression in his game.
AFL Comparison – Jarrad Waite
Roughie – Love Sam Gordon to drop to here. Jordan Murdouch is one I think may drop and who would appeal if they didn’t rate any more talls. Jackson Merrett another.

Sounds like more of the Type we need. 5 Goals in the Granny will sure make us Aware of him.

# 67 Collingwood – Jordan Murdoch (Glenelg / 188 / 85 / 92)
Gone very unheralded this year and one of my real favourites for this draft. I think he drops off a bit because he is over age (19yo). Kicked 25 goals in 6 U18 games and as a result got to see some Reserves and Senior action as well. Just looks a natural footballer and has terrific height and speed and is a one toucher which makes him a standout. Has played closer to goal than he will at AFL level where he is likely to be a HF type but could conceivably push up to a wing as well. Lovely kick and has really good kick penetration. He could well go a lot higher than this.
AFL Comparison – Like a HF flank version of Leon Cameron
Roughie – Steve Verrier

Not a Bad Final Pick

Good effort Snoop. The mocks this year are going to be all over the shop you would think but you have gone by the book pretty much for the first 30 or so.

For the Lions I don't mind Grigg at 8 and I still have him at 13 or so despite all the talk of him dropping like a stone. I don't really see the comparison to Black though. The guy he reminds me of Hurn when he was a junior and I have him going about the same stage as where Hurn went way back when. I am not a fan of Tomlinson but he is getting a lot of good press. I agree with you that Downie will probably go around where you have him and Bussey would fit our needs where you gave him to us.

Elton was the guy I was most surprised with in the top 10. He has shown me nothing this year to make me want to pick him at 30 even.

As per normal I like my Taswegians a lot more than you. I think you are underselling a few of them pretty fiercely.

Markworth sounds like a typical WH selection. Tall mid-flanker, good all-round athlete, very talented.

With Woodward how would you rate his accumulation capabilities and disposal, because he sounds like a David Ellard (short, tenacious, team-centric) and those are his main knocks

Would be happy if Geelong got Lockyer, looks like he could be great for us.

Surprised to see Lachie Neale not even mentioned given he was arguably the most dominant player in the SANFL U18 competition this year. Played very well for the league side too when given the chance.

Happy to take questions etc but have to say up front I think the first 20 are excellent prospects and aren’t surprised GWS were keen to get further to the front than they already were. The next 30 I would think are very good and some really good players will emerge from there. The next group (ie 50+) are good but the quality does taper off and you could throw a blanket over the next 100. From about pick 50 Clubs will be speculative and needs based.

Think you're being a little kind to this years draft. I have no doubt a pick in the late rounds will prove people wrong, but the depth is a little shallow.

I think the top 10-12 look rather nice on paper. Then the next 20-25 are shots at making it at AFL level. After these picks, I would not be shocked if you're either picking mature players or taking a punt here and there.

I do love your optimism and ability to have faith in 200 or so players as showing potential.

Think you're being a little kind to this years draft. I have no doubt a pick in the late rounds will prove people wrong, but the depth is a little shallow.

I think the top 10-12 look rather nice on paper. Then the next 20-25 are shots at making it at AFL level. After these picks, I would not be shocked if you're either picking mature players or taking a punt here and there.

I do love your optimism and ability to have faith in 200 or so players as showing potential.

Gotta have some faith. Admittedly I tend to over rate players a bit but thats bc I tend to accentuate the better qualities in them. Do agree a lot of mature age players will probably go after 40 or so.

Would be happy if Geelong got Lockyer, looks like he could be great for us.

Surprised to see Lachie Neale not even mentioned given he was arguably the most dominant player in the SANFL U18 competition this year. Played very well for the league side too when given the chance.

Good pick up and he should be on the unlucky list. Caught his best game at Champs and whilst he tapered for the rest of Champs but yeah SANFL form post was excellent. More rookie for mine.

Markworth sounds like a typical WH selection. Tall mid-flanker, good all-round athlete, very talented.

With Woodward how would you rate his accumulation capabilities and disposal, because he sounds like a David Ellard (short, tenacious, team-centric) and those are his main knocks

ellard at u18 level was actually more fwd with little bit of mid from memory. woodward is a natural centremen in the Greg Williams mould. His first movements though are much quicker

nice work. Mitchell is a given and quite happy about that. About time we had a F/S. If we were to get Gordon that deep i would be giddy. Fingers crossed.

Very nice read snoop, really hope we get Manson from what I've heard of him.

Thanks muchly. Sincerely appreciated:thumbsu:

Your comments on Kavanagh seem to assume him being taken by the Bulldogs, not Richmond. I'm sure you didn't type this in one sitting! Could you revisit incl alternatives/ roughies?

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back