hamling-joel-2011.jpg

Player statistics
Former club:Claremont/Cable Beach
DOB:09/04/1993
Height:194cm
Weight:80kg
Position:Forward

Player assessment

Represented Western Australia at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging five marks. He kicked six goals during the championships and was particularly impressive against the Northern Territory and Tasmania. He tested extremely well at the NAB AFL Draft Combine, recording an impressive time of 2.90 seconds for the 20m sprint, along with a running vertical jump of 84cm, putting him in the top 10 per cent. He is a mobile forward

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 32 - Joel Hamling

Chris Scott described this lad a defender who can play forward. Things makes sense now.

Indeed. Was wondering why we picked 4 fowards, obviously this lad was picked as a defender and there's nothing to suggest one of the others couldn't be a Lonergan

Lot's of chest marks in the highlights would have liked to see more of the hands out in front

I liked that block that he put on for his team mate. He just dug the hip and buttocks into the pursuing player and blocked him from tackling the ball carrier.

Liked his energy and hunger in the clips. Moved well in the ruck. Didn't see any of him in defence though.

Don't really like the weight on him, how many players come in at 194cm - 80 kg and have the genetics/ability to build them selves up without breaking down? Will cross my fingers for him.

Don't really like the weight on him, how many players come in at 194cm - 80 kg and have the genetics/ability to build them selves up without breaking down? Will cross my fingers for him.

That was my first thought too.

Andrew Mackie II?

Similar build to Trent Westhoff, Wells probably envisaged him developing into a Lonergan though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thin. Nothing special in the above clip. No 'real' marks. Stuttering approach to goal.

He did look like he read the game well, and moved OK.

I'm not sold yet that is for sure.

Again copying from Quigley's phantom draft:

Pick 24 – Gold Coast

Originally I had Schade in here because they have a need for a FB prospect and Schade is a really solid all around tall defender option. When I moved him up and Shifter included Hamling in his top 30 I thought why the hell not move Hamling up from the 40s where I originally had him. Hamling would be a classic Clayton style KP selection – skinny, talented, very athletic without much idea of how to play the game.

Joel Hamling
DOB 9/4/93 Ht 194 Wt 80

I must say I am a bit surprised Hamling is not getting more mentions. I love the way this guy moves around the park for someone as tall as he is. He is still very thin but that will change with a bit of time, lots of steaks and time in the gym. He played all over the ground at the champs being up forward at times, down back at others and then running through the middle of the ground rucking. He won’t ruck at AFL level but I have to say I am having trouble pegging where else would suit him best. Its not that he doesn’t have the skills to play anywhere rather the opposite. With a little more weight he could play anywhere.

He has really good athleticism having a good burst of pace and an excellent leap. He is an excellent judge of the ball in the air and often takes comfortable marks where others have misjudged the flight of the ball. He is not a big leaper at the ball or hard leader but he is a reasonably good mark of the ball. If you were going to ask him to play up forward you would need to work on developing those aspects of his game. He has pretty good goal sense and will attack the ball at pace in the forward line. He has a bit of a stutter in his set shot routine and goes off only a few steps but he is pretty balanced when he kicks it and has really good penetration for such a compromised approach.

At the moment the plays the game like a midfielder no matter where he is positioned. He has excellent agility and runs to the contest to get involved in the play. He attacks the ball well and has very clean hands below his knees, in fact probably the best for a big man in this draft. He shepherds, tackles and does all the things you expect from mids in close. He reads the ball off hands very well and is an excellent crumber for a guy you usually want flying for the ball. Under pressure he is composed and will take the bit of extra time he needs to get the ball to the right option. He is nicely balanced in the contest and holds his feet well. His handball skills are what you would expect from a midfield prospect rather than a KP and he links up very well with the midfielders when going forward. For a key position sized guy he has a very high football IQ I think.

Around the ground he is a smooth mover who eats up the ground and has an extra gear that he can use when he needs to. He has a really nice work rate but I think he needs to improve his endurance base to be able to play the way he wants to. The way he plays mostly at the moment is as a tall wingman rather than a key position. I think he would be more valuable as a key position but he needs a lot of work to be done on the skills that go along with those roles. Early in his career I see him playing as a third tall with a green light to attack the ball and get involved in attacking plays. You need to get him out running and getting his hands on the ball.

At Combine he tested very well finishing in the top 10% in one of the running jumps and doing a 2.90 in the 20m which is great for a KP prospect. Somewhat unsurprisingly his endurance testing was not great and he went just over 13 in the beep test. Wherever he plays on the ground he is going to need to improve his endurance base which will be a bit of a challenge given how much time he also needs to put in in the gym.

Currently he probably doesn’t get his hands on the ball as much as he should and is more of a burst player. Those bursts are very eye catching but I would like to see more of them. Too me he is a very tantilising prospect and one I would be more than prepared to take a punt on.

those clips are interesting, quite an unorthodox player it seems.

judging by Chris Scott's comments he has been drafted to potentially play as a KD - didn't see him playing down back in those few short clips but can definitely imagine him putting that leap and long arms to good use in defense a la Dustin Fletcher.
As CatAttack08 said, Hamling doesn't seem to like taking his marks in his hands; as a forward that is essential, so perhaps defense will be his niche.

alternatively, if he can bulk right up he could be a NicNat-lite, or a skinny Leigh Brown type - someone who can provide relief in the ruck while also having other strings to his bow.
Would be interesting to have a ruckman rotating out of the backline, like way back in the day ...

Nice write up by Quigley.

From the footage he looks incredibly agile considering he's 194cm. His attack on the ball and natural poise look very encouraging and the flexibility he brings is a bonus.

Wells must really rate him considering he was taken with our first pick.

very happy with this selection, very similar to Paddy Ryder in the way he moves and he runs as fast as the midfielders for a kid 6ft 4 and still growing.

Vardy, Hawkins, West & now Hamling....very athletic big guys.
Almost seems like the modern player is now 6ft 3 and runs like the old wingman:thumbsu:

Thin. Nothing special in the above clip. No 'real' marks. Stuttering approach to goal.

He did look like he read the game well, and moved OK.

I'm not sold yet that is for sure.

Thought the same but then it struck me: Mr Wells must have been well and truly sold to pick Hamling before Kersten with just one team to pick in between.
Having had a chance to see what Kersten offers I think Wells must see plenty in this one even if his vision takes 3 or 4 years to develop.

Another smokey H. Taylor came from Geraldton 450k North of Perth, while Broome is a long way further up the coast, the same recruiting staffer(s) probably were involved. They supply the info you can't get just by watching rep games.

and has very clean hands below his knees, in fact probably the best for a big man in this draft. He shepherds, tackles and does all the things you expect from mids in close. He reads the ball off hands very well and is an excellent crumber for a guy you usually want flying for the ball. Under pressure he is composed and will take the bit of extra time he needs to get the ball to the right option. He is nicely balanced in the contest and holds his feet well. His handball skills are what you would expect from a midfield prospect rather than a KP and he links up very well with the midfielders when going forward. For a key position sized guy he has a very high football IQ I think.

ha ha.
The two key things I was praying the player we picked up would have.

by all reports Joel was a good get and was expected to be drafted sooner than our first pick. He looks like he will need a few pre-seasons though before he has a body able to compete at AFL level. But I think that suits Geelong as our current older forwards still have a few seasons left in them too. So he should be part of the next wave if all goes well for him.

Yeah there really is no rush, will get a better understanding in about 3 years time of where he is at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back