kersten-shane-2011.jpg

Player statistics
Former club:South Fremantle/Lakes Junior
DOB:15/03/1993
Height:191cm
Weight:92kg
Position:Forward

Player assessment

A powerful forward who is strong overhead and a long kick. He had a taste of senior WAFL football in 2010. Kersten kicked five goals against Queensland in the 2010 NAB AFL U18 Championships as a 17-year-old but missed the 2011 series with injury. At the NAB AFL Draft Combine he received an efficiency rating of 83 per cent in the Matthew Lloyd Clean Hands Test

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 34 - Shane Kersten

Thanks Gold Coast :thumbsu:.

OK. This kid is only 19 but at 92 kgs could he play an AFL game or two this year? He has a man sized body.

Really like this pick. I wanted Darling with our second pick last year so hopefully Kersten can have just as good a first year.

Really like this pick. I wanted Darling with our second pick last year so hopefully Kersten can have just as good a first year.
Me too. Highlights packages don't tell us a great deal. However, really liked the way he moves; how well he reads the game; and how clean he is by hand and foot.

Sorry guys... but we have changed our minds. We will take Kersten after all.

No hard feelings?

Sincerely

Freo

Looking at his video dare I say it looks and moves like the Pavmeister :) Very happy with this pick. Gonna be a beauty I reckon

Looks a great pick-up, was injured for most of the year with an elbow from what I hear. Good touch, good positioning and a nice size. Look forward to watching him play next year.

Copying from the very knowledgable Quigley's phantom:

Pick 12 - Brisbane

GWS overlooked Kersten last year when he was injury free and had a better year and now are stocked up on great KPF prospects. Accordingly I would be surprised if GWS took Kersten but I think he does represents really good value here for a team who is going to definitely need tall forward help in a year or two. Tomlinson seems to be the word here if not at 8. If they go tall at 8 Kersten may still be in the mix or alternatively Docherty or Adams might get a look in or Greene or Kavanagh if they fall.

Shane Kersten
DOB 15/3/93 Ht 191 Wt 91

Kersten is your classic old fashioned full forward very much in the mould of Fevola or for watchers of the NEAFL Darren Ewing. He has a brilliant set of hands and is far and away the best mark of anyone in this draft. He makes marking looking easy with superior judgment of the ball in the air and fantastic soft hands. He just plucks it out of the air and you wonder why the hell the other players aren’t doing the same thing. When the ball is on the ground he is equally good being very clean (top 10 in the clean hands test at the Combine this year) with an uncanny ability to know where the goals are and then put it through for a goal.

The big knock against him is his height. He comes in at just over 190cm which is short for a modern FF but is in fact pretty much exactly the same height as Fevola. His lack of height may cause him some issues but for me I take him every time over a guy 5 cm taller with no real idea around goal. The other issue for him this year has been that he missed 14 games (including all of the Champs) with a serious elbow injury. He returned at the end of the year and added some real spark to the South Fremantle colts team. He picked up 18 goals in the last 3 rounds of the home and away and managed a very nice haul of 5 in the colts GF. This is all whilst being on a seriously low fitness base on his return. Its worth noting that he played seniors for South Fremantle last year and acquitted himself very well. As a bottom aged player last year at the Champs he also managed 15 goals to lead the way if memory serves.

As mentioned he is carrying a bit of extra condition at the Combine and did not do any of the endurance testing. He always needed to improve his endurance to play to his potential at AFL level and the time out didn’t help him. He only managed 13.08 in the beep last year which gives you an indication that he is going to be in for a lot of pain for the first few years whilst he builds up his endurance. Last year though he did a very nice 2.88 in the 20m which is the kind of speed teams love their forwards to show and despite carrying extra kilos this year he was pretty close to that again in the 20m this year. Kersten definitely has the speed to get separation and he has the smarts to time it right and lead to dangerous spots. His repeat sprint time was also good last year in 24.39 and his agility was solid. He did the jump testing this year and was very impressive in the running jump. For me there is no question that he has the athleticism to play at AFL level. He is not much of a chaser atm and this is something which he will have to improve. If someone is close by he is a pretty reasonable tackler and he has the pace to shut them down quickly. He just needs to desire and fitness to do it more often.

Kersten is an excellent shot for goal having a balanced approach and a big leg on him. He is dangerous from outside 50 and is a dead-eye dick from tight angles. Given how good his goal kicking is you would expect his field kicking to be better but I get the impression he has not worked on it that much and he often tends to be lazy with his passes. Again this is something which I think will clean up okay with a little work in a full time environment.

Overall there are a few areas which he needs to improve on but the kid has the makings of a gun full forward. He has had things a bit easy at junior level and needs a work ethic drummed into him but the words coming from his coach seem to be okay. Its hard from the outside to determine how much of an issue the work ethic concerns are but there have been a few rumours around for a while. On the park though Kersten is one of those guys who when you see him play just seems to have that little bit more time than those around him. He reads the play better and gets to spots to influence play without really seeming to make any particular effort. He is a major talent imho and if he works at his game he could be one of the better FFs going around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still so staggered he got to 34 I barely know what to say.

I can't believe Freo passed on him three times, would have thought he was a perfect fit for them.

I am sure someone will make Panos comparisons (highly rated FF 09 ended up going late rookie) but unlike Panos he has the speed to create separation that makes being a 'short' full forward viable. And his kicking is seriously good, will be great to have a full forward who's a good shot for goal.

I still think he'll need time, but he's a great long term replacement for when Pods hangs them up in 3 or 4 years. Great get. :thumbsu:

Agree, although not necessarily next year, he missed a lot of this year with injury which means he's behind the eight ball with his fitness, I wouldn't expect to see as much of him next year as we saw with Darling, put it that way.

On Pods, we will see, but I haven't been proved wrong with him yet :D And the one thing on his side is he's a fitness freak and does everything right preparation wise, so he'll get as long out of himself as he can.

This guy, a fully fit and firing Menzel with hopefully an accurate Tommy Hawkins smashing through packs and clunking them like in the '11 GF will form the nucleus of a potent forward line in years to come I think. I really like the sound of this Shane Kersten kid.

Agree, although not necessarily next year, he missed a lot of this year with injury which means he's behind the eight ball with his fitness, I wouldn't expect to see as much of him next year as we saw with Darling, put it that way.

On Pods, we will see, but I haven't been proved wrong with him yet :D And the one thing on his side is he's a fitness freak and does everything right preparation wise, so he'll get as long out of himself as he can.

Probably not next year. But who knows. Reckon he could be special though.

Probably not next year. But who knows. Reckon he could be special though.

Agree on both the former and the latter. Really rate him.

Any chance this kid could build an engine and develop into a hard bodied big midfielder in the Ling mould?

I'm still so staggered he got to 34 I barely know what to say.

For a number of years there's been a trend to downgrade potential draftees seen as 'ready made'.
I assume it arose on the back of a few physically advanced draftees struggling to make the leap and the never ending search for 'potential'.

Hopefully that trend has seen us get a bargain.

Extreme quality pick from Wells to get Kersten so low feels like another of Wells gems excited about the impact the kid could have in the future along with Menzel Hawkins and dont forget about 2012 father son in Bourke either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back