Delisted 38. Jackson Sheringham (2012-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 2011 Rookie Draft selection no. 36

Sheringham. Got one from our VFL team again.

He's had a very good year so well deserved, although I wish Raidme could have got a shot too.

Interesting we've added another 2 small forward/mids in this rookie draft, Wells must not have rated the talls because we've certainly got a fair few of that type already.

Re: 2011 Rookie Draft selection no. 36 - Jackson Sheringham

I told you we'd go mids !! :D

Height 179cm
Weight 75kg
DOB 27-11-1990

After 17 matches at the Werribee Tigers, Sheringham crossed from Chirnside Park to the Cats with favourite son James Podsiadly in 2009. Despite a number of soft tissue injuries, Sheringham impressed in the 8 matches he played with the Cats in that season. Unfortunately due to his university commitments in Melbourne, Sheringham was unable to play VFL in 2010. A favourable uni timetable and a burning desire to play at the highest level possible, have lead Sheringham back to Skilled Stadium in 2011. Sheringham looks set to line up for Cats from Round 1 and will play mainly as a small forward rotating through the midfield. Jackson is the brother of former Geelong rookie listed player Tim Sheringham

From Tim's VFL profile

Height 179cm
Weight 75kg
DOB 27-11-1990

After 17 matches at the Werribee Tigers, Sheringham crossed from Chirnside Park to the Cats with favourite son James Podsiadly in 2009. Despite a number of soft tissue injuries, Sheringham impressed in the 8 matches he played with the Cats in that season. Unfortunately due to his university commitments in Melbourne, Sheringham was unable to play VFL in 2010. A favourable uni timetable and a burning desire to play at the highest level possible, have lead Sheringham back to Skilled Stadium in 2011. Sheringham looks set to line up for Cats from Round 1 and will play mainly as a small forward rotating through the midfield. Jackson is the brother of former Geelong rookie listed player Tim Sheringham

From Tim's VFL profile

Anyone got any info about his 2011 season in the VFL?

I went hunting for the VFL review out of interest and this what raptor roj said about his season. fwiw

58) Jackson Sheringham - as the season went on, he found his feet at the VFL level. Not a particularly flashy player, just does all the 1%'s. Very unconventional lookin footballer (heard him likened to Stevie J), but gets the job done.

Had a look back and when he was up for the 06 draft found this write up on him by mojo31

Jackson Sheringham

Wing/midfiield
178cms and 73 kgs.

Geelong Falcons player and brother of Ted who was rookied by Geelong in the 2004 draft.
Very pacy and skilled player. Capable of carrying the ball and breaking the lines. Very good disposal and is a classy winger who given space and time is damaging.

Had a good year in the TAC and finished 3rd in the best and fairest for the Falcons Played mainly wing but also some runs on the ball and down back. Versatile and has had a good grounding with 18 games in the TAC last year. Best suited to the wing at the moment.
Would like to see him grow some more and fill out and develop the inside part of his game and become an onballer. Work on his contested ball winning ability to go with his running power.
Good tackler who has a good workrate and stays involved in the game and is prepared to work both ways. Very good prospect who is very clean with his use of the ball and is clever and quick. When he adds some more weight to break tackles he will be even better.

The type of player Carlton should be targeting with there second round pick.

Predicted : 10 to 20.

The thing I took out of it is it is now 4 years later on and he has only put on 3-4kgs not sure if he is going to be able to build up a body that will be able to take the crash and bash of AFL football against the bigger bodies at the next level

Had a look back and when he was up for the 06 draft found this write up on him by mojo31

The thing I took out of it is it is now 4 years later on and he has only put on 3-4kgs not sure if he is going to be able to build up a body that will be able to take the crash and bash of AFL football against the bigger bodies at the next level

Fair point, although I had the exact same concern about Simpkin when we took him (especially given he'd been on a list before) and he's clearly bulked up this year and you could see it in his play (not sure if he's put on kgs, but he's definitely stronger) so the conditioning team can probably do the same with him.

Wells on this pick:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/127120/default.aspx

Pick 36: Jackson Sheringham (Geelong VFL/Bell Park)
DOB: 27/6/1988
Height: 178cm
Weight: 73kg
Wells says: "Jackson was a very good player with the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup a number of years ago. Since then he's continued to improve his football at both VFL-level and with Bell Park in the local Geelong league. Jackson played a number of very good games for our VFL team in 2011, and we think he's ready to take his opportunity."

(Think the DOB is wrong though, he's 1990 born I think).

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/127120/default.aspx

Quote from Jackson in today's addy confirms that he was born in 1988;

"I think now at 23 if I'm not ready, then I won't ever be ready, so I'm more than happy to start my chance now."

Quote from Jackson in today's addy confirms that he was born in 1988;

"I think now at 23 if I'm not ready, then I won't ever be ready, so I'm more than happy to start my chance now."

My mistake.

Fair point, although I had the exact same concern about Simpkin when we took him (especially given he'd been on a list before) and he's clearly bulked up this year and you could see it in his play (not sure if he's put on kgs, but he's definitely stronger) so the conditioning team can probably do the same with him.

Absolutely PO. Besides, he has put on 3-4kgs since he was a kid. Isn't that equivalent to a KKP putting on 6-8kgs?

He will add a few more in the gym over the next 2 years as well. He'll end up being 85 kilo playing weight - perfect for his size.

We all also know how much stronger we were when we were 23 compared to 17-18, don't we?

Strength won't be a problem I wouldn't think. They would have been all over that issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back