Status
Not open for further replies.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Everywhere i read lately members of the public bag Clarke every chance they get. I dont understand it.

Without the stats in front of me he has been our best batsmen since taking over as captain and probably for the last calendar year.

He made the call that needed to be made by dropping a guy who was in his mid 30s and not really setting the world on fire in Katich, and frankly Ponting and Hussey were lucky to survive. You cant carry 3 guys like we are currently in your top 7 that are underperforming at that age let alone 4 if Katich was still hanging around.

My only guess as to why he is bagged is because hes the poster boy and has been groomed for the job for so long, the old tall poppy syndrome.

Please shed some light as to why this is the case, because i think that so far he has made all of the right calls and seems to be much more of an attacking captain the Ricky ever was.

not so much hate, but fair criticism.

His batting form is down. He was never a great batsman like border, waugh and punter but a good adequate one. On form he's struggling to average 40 with the bat against reasonable teams.

He's accused of selecting his mates against better players, one that seems born out by protection of hughes, smith and haddin amongst others.

His fielding is adequate despite the media saying he's outstanding, he's adequate.

His calls around the ground, well he makes changes but doesn't mean his field placings are good.

His selection as captain seems to be as much about PR and CA not wanting to admit they were wrong as selecting the best player to lead the nation.

He's an adequate batsman, an adequate captain.

Because he's not a beer drinking, beard wearing bogan. It's genuinely that simple.

Perhaps modelling in underwear and focusing on being seen socially with the bingle has more to do with it. Perhaps people are sick of wannabes like Brett Lee who are perceived as marketing tools.

I actually think he is doing a good job and definitely has changed his focus to cricket and leading oz. Takes time to undo an image like his.

He's accused of selecting his mates against better players, one that seems born out by protection of hughes, smith and haddin amongst others.

His selection as captain seems to be as much about PR and CA not wanting to admit they were wrong as selecting the best player to lead the nation.

He's an adequate batsman, an adequate captain.

He's not a selector, so the first point is crap.

He's an inspired leader, top fieldman, and good Test batsman.

Let's face it, people don't like Clarke because they are jealous. Simple as that.

Clarke selects the teams by himself? That's a new one on me.

He's not a selector, so the first point is crap.

He's an inspired leader, top fieldman, and good Test batsman.

Let's face it, people don't like Clarke because they are jealous. Simple as that.

I liked s.waugh and border because they were inspired leaders, no jealousy.

He's an adequate test batsman and an adequate fielder as for his leadership, his batsmen are weak and his bowlers are improving under mcdermott, not himself.

I liked s.waugh and border because they were inspired leaders, no jealousy.

He's an adequate test batsman and an adequate fielder as for his leadership, his batsmen are weak and his bowlers are improving under mcdermott, not himself.
It's clear that people such as yourself dislike Clarke on grounds other than cricket. It's a pity you can't at least acknowledge it.

He is better than an "adequate" test batsman and fielder. He has over 5000 test runs at better than 45. And his captaincy seems to be fine to me, in these early days.

As for your final comment, we have batting and bowling coaches. I'd be laying the blame for the all too often ****weak batting efforts squarely in Langer's lap, not Clarke's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No hate from me, i dont hate any Aussie players and want to see them all do well. He's played a few captain like knocks in the past 12 months which is what i want to see.

While he isnt the greatest batsmen we've had, we really dont have too many other options. Im comfortable atm with him as skipper.

Selection, field placing ect isnt an exact science so there will always be critics. Just people flapping their lips in the wind.

you might want to double check that
Yes, he is a selector, but one out of a number.

AH's point was that Clarke can't "select his mates" when he is only one voice on the selection panel.

Everywhere i read lately members of the public bag Clarke every chance they get. I dont understand it.

Without the stats in front of me he has been our best batsmen since taking over as captain and probably for the last calendar year.

He made the call that needed to be made by dropping a guy who was in his mid 30s and not really setting the world on fire in Katich, and frankly Ponting and Hussey were lucky to survive. You cant carry 3 guys like we are currently in your top 7 that are underperforming at that age let alone 4 if Katich was still hanging around.

My only guess as to why he is bagged is because hes the poster boy and has been groomed for the job for so long, the old tall poppy syndrome.

Please shed some light as to why this is the case, because i think that so far he has made all of the right calls and seems to be much more of an attacking captain the Ricky ever was.

Clarke had nothing to do with this.

as far as the captaincy is concerned, the problem is that he was more or less pre-ordained years ago, meaning that there is a feeling that he didn't really earn it. Yes, people say that there was a lack of other potential captains when he finally did get the nod, but I feel that is mainly because no one else was ever spoken of as captaincy material because Clarke was always going to be it. The 'captaincy conversation', as it were, never occurred, and thus there is a (fair or unfair) question mark over his legitimacy.

Plus, the whole Katich incident didn't help, made it sound as if the Australian Cricket Team didn't rate that highly in his list of priorities.

as far as the captaincy is concerned, the problem is that he was more or less pre-ordained years ago, meaning that there is a feeling that he didn't really earn it. Yes, people say that there was a lack of other potential captains when he finally did get the nod, but I feel that is mainly because no one else was ever spoken of as captaincy material because Clarke was always going to be it. The 'captaincy conversation', as it were, never occurred, and thus there is a (fair or unfair) question mark over his legitimacy.

Plus, the whole Katich incident didn't help, made it sound as if the Australian Cricket Team didn't rate that highly in his list of priorities.
Clarke may of been pre-ordained, but honestly there is no other realistic option at the moment. It became apparant that Ponting's form was becoming an issue and CA remembers that Taylor last longer than he should of in the side purely because they didn't want the embarassment of dropping the captain.

Virtually all the criticism I hear relates to things before he became captain and very little has to do with his actions since he has taken over. I actually think that he has come out of the Katich saga better for it. Katich has been shown to be a whinging little runt who couldn't handle the fact that he is now surplus to requirements. CA made the decision whilst he was injured and the decision was proved right, only problem was they recalled Hughes.

Clarke is doing well with the players at his disposal and calls saying he picks his mates are a long way off the mark. CA had the view that Hughes was a 10year opening bat for quite some time, this lead to his recall until they realised they were wrong. As for Ponting, Hussey and Haddin you only drop them when you have someone better to come in. It was apparently a very close call between Hussey & Christian for Melbourne, but as hussey scored runs he will stay for a bit longer. Ponting had a few more lives up his sleeve and two 50s will see him safe for the rest of the summer at least.

The burning question for me is what do you do with Watson once he is fully fit?

It's very obvious why but it's a point we're not allowed to bring up on this board anymore and rightfully so.

Either way, he's been a very good captain so far and a very good batsman for years.

Because he goes from making a ton to gettign a few ducks and low scores to getting anotherl ton to keep him in the side. His bowling is laughable and his fielding has gone down hill a lot. He is just the captain now because Ponting had to be removed. And he is still only in the team because he is captain.

Because he goes from making a ton to gettign a few ducks and low scores to getting anotherl ton to keep him in the side. His bowling is laughable and his fielding has gone down hill a lot. He is just the captain now because Ponting had to be removed. And he is still only in the team because he is captain.
FFS:eek: Just stop it.

He is one of our more reliable bats in our side, and wouldnt be dropped if he wasnt captain, thats just stupid to say that.

Secondly you state his bowling is laughable? Are you kidding? He's a batter, who bowls a bit, why the F*** are you making a judgement on him via his bowling. Clueless.

He was clearly the next best option for captain, and if you cant hack, go support another country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back