Preview Gold Coast vs Essendon (14/04/2012) - Team announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my preview, I'm trying to be as impartial as possible, Suns fans, please highlight my main mistakes on your list, as I don't know the list fantastically unfortunately.

Gold Coast vs Essendon (14/04/2012):

Observations:

Gold Coast: Talented youngsters lead by arguably the best player in the AFL in Ablett. Round 1 showed their lack of defensive discipline against Adelaide, and they should be trying to add a defensive side to their game, many considering that Greater Western Sydney’s defence in their first game being better than the Sun’s defence in year 2. The Suns can only improve with talented youngsters like Swallow, Bennell, Day, Toy and McKenzie getting better and better

Essendon: Had a first up fantastic effort against North Melbourne, dominating through the midfield despite media hype about North's apparently "better" midfield, winning by a couple of points. Essendon followed up by beating Port Adelaide less than convincingly, with kicking for goal and general skills being a problem in both games. They will be looking forward to this game; especially considering the margin they defeated the Suns by in their only encounter.

Head-to-Head:Gold Coast 0 - Essendon 1

Form (Pre-Season inc):

Essendon: W-W-W-W-L

Gold Coast: ?-L-L-L-L

Odds Gold Coast - $9.00 Essendon - $1.05 (source: http://www.tab.com.au/Sports/Bettin...ContestDate=2012-04-14T00:00:00&MeetingType=1)

Possible Teams:

Gold Coast:
B: Harbrow-Warnock-Taylor
HB: Weller-May-Brennan
C: Swallow-Caddy-McKenzie
HF: Prestia-Bock-Hall
F: Brown-Lynch-Matera
R: Smith-Ablett-Rischitelli
I: Hunt-Shaw-Fraser
S: Bennell

Essendon:
B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Carlisle-Hibberd
C: Melksham-Watson-Heppell
HF: Monfries-Hurley-Zaharakis
F: Crameri-Ryder-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocking-Stanton
I: Howlett-Dell’Olio-Dyson
S: McVeigh

Key Match-Ups:

Michael Hurley vs Steven May: May a good defender, Hurley a solid forward so far with the potential to be a monster forward. Hurley has been down for 2 games in a row, even though he got a few touches last game his kicking let him down- 1 goal, 3 behinds and one out on the full. I’ve said Hurley will win one of his contests in the past few weeks, and have been wrong on both occasions. I’ll say it one more time, because he’ll be desperate to run into some form before the big clash against Carlton. Hurley to kick 7

Jobe Watson vs David Swallow: I think Guy McKenna will give his best draftee from last year a chance to go head-to-head with the player the Suns will hope he’ll emulate. There’s no doubt Swallow will be a first-class clearance player, and should try to learn from arguably the best clearance player in the competition in Watson to see the next few step ups in the future to the player he should become. Watson to get 30 touches and 2 goals

Dyson Heppell vs Josh Caddy: Heppell, the player that the Suns could’ve gotten if they didn’t choose Caddy and the Rising Star winner for 2011. Caddy, the player Essendon were desperately trying to lure back to Melbourne to add to their midfield. These two highly talented youngsters will be an interesting battle to behold. Heppell has runs on the board, and has sublime skills. Caddy a much tougher nut to crack. Will say Heppell will win

Keys for each team:

Essendon:
• Dominate the midfield- Essendon have bigger bodies in there, and are expected to be stronger around the ball. Should beat the young midfield that the Suns have
• Kick accurately- Essendon wasted good chances in the forward line both weeks. Will want to improve heavily in that regard
• Hit your targets. Skills have been average first two weeks. Need better skills to compete with the best- coming soon against Carlton and Collingwood

Gold Coast
• Don't rely on Ablett. He's a superstar, but he won't be around forever (he's not Dustin Fletcher :p). Spread the load, Caddy, Swallow, Bennell should all be trying to release pressure
• Try to curb Bellchambers and Ryder’s influence. Smith is a promising ruck, if he can do this, he’ll be able to know that he can compete with the best
• Pressure- the defensive pressure has been terrible by the Suns. Will want to improve on that

Summary:

Essendon are in a good spot being 2-0 going into a team they beat by 130-odd points the only time they’ve ever played. The Bombers have had a strong pre-season and are even stronger than before, and they’ll want to really impress the coaches and fans after a poor effort against Port Adelaide, where they were expected to win comfortably. Essendon have better players across the board, even if Gold Coast is an extremely talented side. Essendon will want to win in nearly every position on the ground against a side that’s nowhere near as mature as them

Gold Coast will be worried about their lack of defensive pressure, and will want to create a lot more pressure going forward. They need to try to break even in as many contests as they can and maybe even try to win a couple head-to-head clashes with the bombers.

Tip: Essendon are better. Simply got more mature bodies across the board, better forwards, better defenders, but don’t have the best player on the ground. It should be another domination for the dons. Essendon by 99

Re: Gold Coast vs Essendon (14/04/2012)

B: Fletcher-Pears-Hardingham
HB: Dempsey-Carlisle-Hibberd
C: Melksham-Watson-Heppell
HF: Monfries-Hurley-Zaharakis
F: Crameri-Ryder-Jetta
R: Bellchambers-Hocker-Stanton
I: Howlett-hocking-McVeigh
S: Sam

that how i see the team this week

all guys hurt today are out for 3 weeks

Essendon to win this one convincingly but would think the players would want to put in an intelligent performance to show us what they can do against the Blues and Pies in the coming weeks.

Strong bodies should make this a win for us but hopefully not getting too cocky. Looking forward to seeing Jetta/Crameri/Hurley dominate. Go Dons!

Out Hille

In: Easy enough, Bellchambers

Out Hocking

in: Easy enough, Lonergan, he came in for Hocking, who is now fit, and Lonergan did **** all. laters sam

Out Myers

In: Hooker, although this could mean we go in too tall.

Out NLM

??????
Dyson?

And guys, they don't have official odds yet, and that's the only site I've found that forecast the odds, they're terrible, but I'll update the OP once we have official odds (probably monday)

FWIW, I don't think bringing Hooker in for Myers will work. I think the changes need to be:

Out: NLM, Myers, Hille, Lonergan
In: Dyson, Dell'Olio, Bellchambers, Hocking

I think if we bring in Hooker for Myers we lose too much run through the middle, and outside work is where we need more polish, not less.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A real pity that Myers was injured - I would have considered playing Carlisle as the second ruck - No choice now - Bellchambers will come into the side.

Anyone think Fletcher may sit this one out? Probably not really 'needed' against our mob, and probably a good chance to get some game time into a younger player?

Would be great to get Fletcher his big 350 at the G against Carltank :thumbsu:

Dyson?

And guys, they don't have official odds yet, and that's the only site I've found that forecast the odds, they're terrible, but I'll update the OP once we have official odds (probably monday)

Yeah that is terrible forecasting. Better off having a stab yourself?

I'll go with GC $9.00, ESS $1.08

This is not taking into account tomorrow's game. If GC lose by 100 plus we should shorten. If they play well you might get $1.10 for us.

Anyone think Fletcher may sit this one out? Probably not really 'needed' against our mob, and probably a good chance to get some game time into a younger player?

Would be great to get Fletcher his big 350 at the G against Carltank :thumbsu:

Thought it was a real chance to happen before our rash of injuries today.

Ideally, Fletch would miss GC so that he could back up for the games against Carlton and Collingwood.

Our travel record still concerns me, although we did win in Queensland last year. Like the last two weeks would just be happy with the 4 points here and hopefully no more injuries.

IN: Bellchambers , Hocking , Reimers (kicked 8 against GC last time)
OUT: Hille , Lovett-Murray , Myers

I expect the Gold Coast to put in a much better performance this time around. We cannot take them lightly.

I really would have liked the Suns to have won at least one game at Carrara before we went up there.

With Hocking, Bellchambers, and hopefully Hooker in to, we should be able to do this quite comfortably. Perhaps we could even have the luxury of using the sub in, say, the second quarter or some time after that. That'd be nice.

Perhaps we could even have the luxury of using the sub in, say, the second quarter or some time after that. That'd be nice.

One day...

I really would have liked the Suns to have won at least one game at Carrara before we went up there.

So would I...

It has "momentous Gold Coast win" written all over it next week against one of the big Melbourne teams.

In saying that though the Gold Coast did lose to GWS over the pre-season. I'd be amazed to think we could go up there and lose - but stranger things have happened.

In saying that though the Gold Coast did lose to GWS over the pre-season.

Means nought. Especially considering that there was no Ablett.

Shall watch the Suns with great interest today. Either way I hope they actually are competitive when we play them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back