Rnd 3 Vs Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
With the Bullies beaten another win goes on the board
and the sights can now be set on the hawks...

Dougie surely will be out?.... Symes, Wright, Knights or time to uncage the Lyons...will be interesting to see who they go with?

Sam Shaw keeps putting up his hand too...

How do we keep the budwood quiet? (pray for wet massie maybe?)

Massive assignment this one...hopefully the cats soften them up for us on monday!

what are the keys to winning this one?

I think we'll have an advantage in the ruck. And Buddy aside, I reckon our forward line is functioning better.

We need to treat the Hawks like any other opponent. No need to be overawed.

Douglas a likely out, Hendo and Otten will probably be monitered through the week with both probably going to be a bit sore today. Shaw, Jaensch, Lyons, Knights, Kerridge will all be considered next week you'd think.

I actually am pleased we were challenged yesterday, up until now we haven't been given a real scare and Sando knows we can't dish up another 3rd quarter next week or we'll get butchered, so he'll be addressing that this week.

The big question will be who stands on Buddy. Do we try to keep him deep in the forwardline and trust we can stop their mids from giving him too many chances? Or do we try to push him up the ground away from the goals as much as possible?

Hendo listed as a shoulder on some 7 breakfast show. Cause for concern?

Would love to see Jarryd Lyons and Sam Shaw get a game, they have that extra year and pre season on Kerridge. Also would like Jaensch challenged by playing on Rioli when in their forward line.

Dougie surely will be out?.... Symes, Wright, Knights or time to uncage the Lyons...will be interesting to see who they go with?

Shaw, Jaensch, Lyons, Knights, Kerridge will all be considered next week you'd think.

The big question will be who stands on Buddy.

What about Brodie Martin? Two "level above" performances in the SANFL not enough for you? If there's a replacement needed for Douglas then it has to come from Martin, Jaensch and Lyons (in that order) for me.

Another big question is where will Buddy play, he played midfield (partly) against Collingwood and looked very poor at it (in the first half - did better later when the game opened up). Hawks should not do this against us, we dont have a good match up so they'd be better keeping him in the forward line if you ask me. Our matchup will depend where he plays, Truck if he's close to goals, Talia, if hes out at the 50 and VB if he's in midfield.

IMO selection this week will be a balance of rewarding good form and selecting like for like players

With this in mind yes Martin is in good form however the likely debate will be do you reward the strong form or do you go with a like for like change

IMO Shaw will come in for Otten and Matty Wright may get the nod to replace Douglas as he can play that midfield push forward role

With that said Martin, Matty J, Lyons and even Symes are starting to build strong cases, however I will like to see a little more from Knights before he comes under consideration.

I'm really looking forward to the Hawks game just to see how we equip ourselves against a genuine top 4 side away from home when Premiership points are on the line

However with that said I am hoping that the Hawks / Cats game is a bruising affair

Douglas will be out for 3 weeks with a hammy.

I think bringing Martin in while he's in form would be a great idea. However we've got so many in form in the SANFL at the moment that it's going to be a tough pick.
We need to fit 28 players into our best 22.

Hendo played well enough to be kept if he's fit. His first quarter was tremendous with good decision making and a distinct lack of the squib. Faded in and out through the rest of the game though.

Otten is in trouble this week. He had a shocker and got completely towelled up by Gia. I can only imagine the damage that rioli would do. I am seeing less and less reason for him to be in our back 6. He's certainly not providing enough run to be in there over our in form HBFers and not enough defensive effort to stay in as a defender. Reilly is doing a great job in his loose man in defence role.

Otten has to come out this week probably for Shaw, but Thompson has been playing alright too.

Martin in for Douglas is a given, I can't believe that we wouldn't reward his form.

The sad fact of the matter is that we don't have an answer to Franklin. Talia/Rutten too slow, Hendo/Otten lack the required physicality. I'm tempted to say that we just throw Talia on him as a learning experience, but he won't be able to go with him all the time.

That leaves Hale/McCauley, Roughead and Gunston as the other talls to match up on in defense, so if Hendo doesn't come up then Shaw would have to be the one to go with. Can't see us dropping Otten yet, but wouldn't be opposed to it.

Pace in the back half is a massive concern this week. Really think Petrenko has to go back there with one of Doughty/Reilly coming out onto a wing.

This game will let you know what sort of a season to expect.

Agreed SP. They are another side comprised of 22 human beings, with strengths and weaknesses, like any other.

They are one of the less complete sides to be premiership favourites for a long time. Their defence is weak, and there exists a window for a competitive game there, should our midfield lift.

They historically struggle with Walker and Porplyzia, while Jacobs and Tippett should give us an advantage in the ruck. Buddy, Roughy and Cyril loom as the monster advantage for them, with our defence looking suspect. Rutten has always struggled with Roughy and is not a good match up for Buddy on the move; but I fear more for Talia should he have to contend with the number 23. I think we have to start Rutten on Buddy. Clog the forward line, stifle his leading space and force as many body-on-body contests with truck as we can. Roughy knows how to handle Rutten, and he is a long time out of the game. The slightly more nimble Talia could be effective on the lead, and there exists potential for him to zone off and link up a bit. Shaw to Gunston. Controversial also, but Hendo to Buddy when he pushes into the middle. Burns opposition defenders with pace when he's in there, and I'll be labelled mad but I think Hendo would make a good fist of it through there. Just a feeling, looks exceptionally competitive this season and has Franklin for pace.

Again, it'll be won and lost in the midfield. Buddy, end of the day, is only one man. A big game from Dangerfield will be needed; a lift from Sloane as well. Take advantage of what Jacobs hopefully affords us and put the heat on Gibson/Schoey. Gibbo struggled with Walker in round 1 last year and Tippett, with enough isolated contests, will absolutely murder Schoey. Both forward lines will be dynamic in this game. Porps showed signs late in last night's match and has a history of destructive bursts against the hawks.

A 50 point loss is what I'm anticipating on exposed form, but you just never know. It is a side that operates on ethereal top-end talent, with patchwork in other areas. We're one of the few sides in the comp with particularly good players lining up in those areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but it might also be a bit early to tell either way. They're clearly the best looking opponent to date on paper, but they might also be incredibly overrate for all we know.

I'm eyeing off rounds 7-9 for the true indication of where season 2012 is heading - Geelong, Carlton, Collingwood is a massive test.

I reckon you would say that Franklin would kick 5 goals. He doesn't take contested marks, most of his goals come from leads or us ability to get goals from general field play. Shaw would be an option and Otten is still struggling with his form.

Jacobs should win the ruck and I reckon Taylor and Tippett will create issues for their backline. We have to control the volume of supply to their forwards.

Symes should only be considered when we only have no more players to choose from. End of story.

Looking forward to seeing the game live and also seeing the Carlton vs Collingwood on Friday night. Hopefully a good weekend in Melbourne.

Shaw in and on Buddy. All of our other defenders are too slow. I know that's a huge ask for your first game, so he needs to be told that he won't be dropped after it. Otten just isn't up to it at the moment (whether he's out with an injury or not).

There's a lot of players putting their hand up to take Douglas' spot, which is great.

As Pete said, the Hawks are just 21 other men. And Gunston.

If you know anything about football, you will know this is so far from the truth it's not funny.

Next week, win or lose will be just one game. If we win, the coaching department and supporter will get a warm feeling and then look forward to the GWS game the week after. If we lose, the coaching department will do the same thing by looking forward to the GWS and will allow some flogs from bay 13 and others boards to say the Crows over overrated, over hyped and basically s**t and then given them that nice warm feeling.

Never week is ONE game. It's one step on the journey towards regaining the respect the club wants and hopes to achieve. It's one step towards putting the pieces in place to create a winning game plan.

If you expect next week to be a defining moment in the crows season, your nuts as we are still a few years away from being a long term successful team.

Also: Petrenko to take Rioli.

Agree we need some pace in defence. Hendo and Pets would be the way to go. Drop Otten. Bring in Wright to take Petrenko's spot up forward. Martin to take Dougy's spot.

In Martin, Wright
Out Otten, Douglas

If Hendo misses with injury Shaw would be the replacement. Cant wait to see the boys get stuck into Gunston. Im heading over and confident we will put up a good show.

Agree we need some pace in defence. Hendo and Pets would be the way to go. Drop Otten. Bring in Wright to take Petrenko's spot up forward. Martin to take Dougy's spot.

In Martin, Wright
Out Otten, Douglas

If Hendo misses with injury Shaw would be the replacement. Cant wait to see the boys get stuck into Gunston. Im heading over and confident we will put up a good show.
Agree with all this.

Dropping Otten would require bringing in another tall, unless we want to use Lynch in defense - do we really want to do that?

Franklin - Hale - Gunston - Roughead
Talia - Rutten - Henderson - ???

Dropping Otten would require bringing in another tall, unless we want to use Lynch in defense - do we really want to do that?

Franklin - Hale - Gunston - Roughead
Talia - Rutten - Henderson - ???

Doubt they will play all four at once. If they do yeah Lynch could go back. I think run and pace out of defence is a much bigger problem than a 4th tall. Doughty could take Gunston i reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back