Round 3 v Western Bulldogs, Saturday Night @ Etihad Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

thomas_m18

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
Melbourne, Aus
AFL Club
St Kilda
May as well start the review thread. Not really going to write up a preview for it. Thinking we'll just make the one change this week.

IN: Polo
OUT: Cripps

Watters seems to like Polo (contested footy!) and Crippa wasn't that flash against the Suns. Can't see who else we'd drop for him. Feel Wilkes would come in if our three forwards didn't dominate, and that he's unlucky, but he's just out (even though some of Kosi's efforts didn't exactly impress me).

Ledger sub again, unfortunately for my SC. If it ain't broke...

Watters may like Polo but I think he's far from someone who's an automatic in. I'd be worried if he was. I think it's important that we give whichever young guy comes in at least 4-5 games to see what they've got because it just puts too much pressure on them too perform if they're only going to be given 1 or 2 games.

I'd like to see us get a bit smaller overall because I can see the Dogs rebounding the ball like madmen after we drop marks. The Suns couldn't take advantage of this but better sides will carve us up IMO.

Move Cripps to HB which is his best spot rather than the midfield role he seems to be playing and I think he'll play better. Newnes will be better with the nerves of his first game out of the way. Would be nice if Ledger played a full game as well.

Yeah it's a shame for Wilkes that even though he's been playing really well in the VFL by all reports, he can't get in the side unless someone isn't doing enough. I know I was harsh on Kosi but he did enough to keep his spot.

I guess it's actually a good thing that we have a capable back up just in case one of the big men go down or have a drop of form.

Was just about to post same thread!!

After solid 92 point win against well what basically would struggle to win against fair few VFL teams, we face the Doggies on Saturday Night. Whilst the Doggies are in same situation as us, and had more shocking 2011 they have been impressive in their two losses so far this year. By impressive i mean they werent disgraced and will put up decent contest.

Dean Polo will be back from suspension and think way Watters has talked about him he'll be straight back in. Cripps on surface is obvious one to go out but i hope we stick with him for another week. Think unlucky guy might be Newnes as think part reason he played was cos it was against the smaller bodied team and to just give him taste of what it takes to make it at top level.

Will be interesting to see how Kosi & Stanley go against quality defenders this week. They really need to standup for us to win.

So my changes at moment would be

OUT: Newnes
IN: Polo

But wouldnt be surprised to see us go in unchanged or Cripps to go out instead Newnes.

Polo should come in for newnes. If we show that kind of desperation for the ball again should be a comfortable 20-30 point win.

Clint Jones will play his 100th game this week :thumbsu:

I think Newnes will come out of the side

Not necessarily for performance reasons, but now he knows what it's like to play AFL (albeit against second rate opposition) so go back and smash it up in the VFL to force his way back in

I guess Polo is the only real option coming back in? Haven't checked Sandi reports so not sure how Peake performed

I think Ledger or Cripps will be sub. I don't mind Ledger being there, as I think he can have some impact coming on later, and I think Cripps could too

Wouldn't exactly be shocked if Cripps was dropped as well though (don't know who would come in for him though)

Unfortunately you guys have had our measure over the last couple of years and I dont see that changing. The only thing I am sure of is that it will be hard fought and a close game! Cant wait for this 1 should be a prelim all over again! My concern is Goddard always tears us up and we have nobody to match up on Milne. Think may be saints by 12 points

Good luck either way should be a great game

Watters implied on SEN that Newnes selection was specifically because of the opposition. I wouldn't mind him going back to the Zebs now. He's not a kid who DESERVES an extended run. He's a kid who was shown a little bit of grace, and undeservedly played, just to get a taster. Polo in.

Cripps may well come out too, although I think his run is invaluable. If he does come in, wouldn't be astonished if Watters uses this game for another kid to get a taster, maybe as sub: Ross, Saad, etc.

I don't see Wilkes squeezing in. He's got to wait for an injury/rest to one of our three talls. But don't worry, he'll have been told his time will definitely come this season. And when he does get in, if he kicks a bag of 5-6, then it's going to make it very, very hard for Scotty to drop him.

Players shouldn't be gifted games. Cripps is a talent, but could do with some stat-padding and confidence building at Sandy.

If there is a week to leave out Koschitzke, surely it is this week. Brian Lake eats him for breakfast. Rather than have Kosi as the sacrificial lamb, maybe it would be better to go smaller and more mobile in the forward line? In Round 17, 2009, Kosi was injured and suspended. Lake went to Riewoldt and Roo ran him around a merry old dance. This was when Lake (and admittedly Roo) was at the height of his powers.

I think Polo comes back in. Would like to see a different forward line structure to negate Lake's strengths this week, as it is a bloody important game.

Unfortunately you guys have had our measure over the last couple of years and I dont see that changing. The only thing I am sure of is that it will be hard fought and a close game! Cant wait for this 1 should be a prelim all over again! My concern is Goddard always tears us up and we have nobody to match up on Milne. Think may be saints by 12 points

Good luck either way should be a great game
Thanks mate. Always hate having to play the Doggies - in the bigger scheme of things, we're allies against the rich-fat-clubs. Hope you guys have a great game, and even if you lose, you can see some spark in your pups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing to keep in mind is that Sandringham have the BYE this week (seniors not development squad), so dropping a player to find form isnt really going to happen!!

Players shouldn't be gifted games. Cripps is a talent, but could do with some stat-padding and confidence building at Sandy.

If there is a week to leave out Koschitzke, surely it is this week. Brian Lake eats him for breakfast. Rather than have Kosi as the sacrificial lamb, maybe it would be better to go smaller and more mobile in the forward line? In Round 17, 2009, Kosi was injured and suspended. Lake went to Riewoldt and Roo ran him around a merry old dance. This was when Lake (and admittedly Roo) was at the height of his powers.

I think Polo comes back in. Would like to see a different forward line structure to negate Lake's strengths this week, as it is a bloody important game.
Love the idea of resting Kosi for a more mobile forward line but then again I'm in favour of "resting" Kosi every week for a more mobile/less predicable forward line. Lake is going to eat him alive.

Don't get me started on VFL byes. Sandy should play every week St Kilda play, and have their bye when St Kilda does. Starting the VFL season a week earlier this season just adds more weeks when we do not have the opportunity to give a bloke a run at Sandy to find some form.

Unless young players were diabolical, can't see value in giving them one game then back to Sandy they go. This is shades of Lyin in 2011.

Give them a minimum of two and up to four matches if possible. Don't believe in gifting players games, but if they do get there, give them a decent chance to appreciate the change of tempo and the pace that they will need to operate at.

It is unrealistic to expect that giving a young player one game, gives them much more than a blurred experience.

Ideally would like to see an unchanged line up against the Bulldogs this week.

Very much looking forward to Saturday night already.

Roo is finally starting to show signs of taking a game by the scruff of the neck.

Yet some want Kosi dropped in the knowledge that he will command the full attention of Lake?

I'm not being sarcastic, but could that be explained to me please?

I reckon the only change would be giving the sub vest to Cripps, Ledger in the 18.

Can't see the need for many changes this week, would be happy to see an unchanged team unless Schneider is ready to return which I doubt he will be.

Neither Cripps or Newnes contributed a great deal against Gold Coast but I would rather us stick with our younger players than bring back the likes of Polo

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't tend to watch the other AFL games, but Lake's a different player these days? (both with injuries and form)

Is he as quick as he used to be? (he was always tall and stong enough to compete effectively with Kosi, but it was that 20m burst speed that enabled him to get better position and take marks).

Kosi's straight line speed seems pretty decent at the moment.

And Channel 7 is showing the Clash of the Titans that is Suns vs Essendon that night... :rolleyes:

Annoying isn't it, we still haven't had a match televised on free to air this season and you would think that St Kilda v Bulldogs will be a much better game than Essendon v Gold Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back