Preview AFL Round 3 - North Melbourne v Geelong, Etihad Stadium, 4:40PM Sunday 15 April

Predict the winner and margin

• North Melbourne by 49+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Melbourne by 25-48

• North Melbourne by 1-24

• Draw

• Geelong by 1-24

• Geelong by 25-48

• Geelong by 49+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL Premiership Round 3
North Melbourne V Geelong
picture.php
--------- V ---------
picture.php

Preview by Pure_Ownage:
The formline
Contrasting formlines, with the Cats beating the Hawks by 2 points in the most meaningful of contests, while North Melbourne thrashed GWS by 129 points in the most meaningless of contests.

For the Cats Jimmy Bartel had 20 disposals 7 marks 8 tackles and 2 goals, including a crucial goal in the last quarter, as well as getting back to help the defence in the last few minutes. Captain Joel Selwood had 24 disposals and 8 tackles and was an inspiration by coming back on and playing a crucial role after being heavily hit in the head in the last quarter. Ruckman Trent West had to ruck the whole game by himself with the late withdrawal of Orren Stephenson, and finished with 32 hitouts, while Taylor Hunt was sent to a rampant Sam Mitchell who had 21 disposals at half time and kept him to just 9 for the rest of the game. Tom Hawkins had one of the best games of his career with 22 disposals 12 marks and 3.2, while James Podsiadly made the difference with three final quarter goals, including the goal that won the game for the Cats, he finished with 15 disposals 6 marks and 5 goals.

For the Kangaroos it was a stat padding day against the kids; Ryan Bastinac had 44 disposals (16 kicks 28 handballs) and 2 goals, Liam Anthony had 38 and 2 goals while Leigh Adams had 37 disposals and a goal. Veteran Brent Harvey had 32 disposals and a goal, while forward Aaron Edwards kicked 5 goals. Ruck duo Todd Goldstein and Hamish McIntosh had 38 hitouts between them.

Ins and outs
For the Cats Orren Stephenson is a certain inclusion having recovered from his rain virus last week. He will be needed to help Trent West against one of the best ruck combinations in the competition. Small forwards Shannon Byrnes and Mathew Stokes were both poor and one is likely to make way for the big man. This is most probably Byrnes given that he was a late inclusion, although Chris Scott did mention in yesterday's press conference that Stokes had a bad corky during the game which gives the coaches an out to 'rest' him if they so wish. At the other end of the ground premiership defender Josh Hunt is likely to return from a calf strain, replacing either Billie Smedts who may have a shoulder injury, or young forward Mitch Brown. Young midfielder George Horlin Smith has had 2 great weeks in the vfl and is a chance to make his debut if we have any further changes.

For North, the only injury concern is a knee injury to Lindsay Thomas from the GWS game, but he may be right to play. Most of their selection focus will be on picking good tall defenders to try and contain Hawk and Pods who are in super form. Young defender Cam Delaney might make way for his brother Luke who has more bulk for the task, or Lachie Hansen or Cameron Pederson could be recalled. Key midfielder Jack Ziebell returns from suspension and someone like rookie Aaron Mullett might make way for him.

Possible lineups:
Cats

B: Enright Lonergan JHunt
HB: Mackie Taylor Corey
C: Kelly Bartel Thunt
HF: SJ Hawkins Chapman
F: Motlop Pods Duncan
R: West Selwood Christensen
Int: Stephenson Guthrie Stokes Brown
Emg: Byrnes Horlin Smith Hogan

North:
B: McMahon Thompson Firrito
HB: Atley Hansen Anthony
C: Wright Wells Bastinac
HF: Thomas Petrie Harper
F: Edwards McIntosh Harvey
R: Goldstein Swallow Ziebell
Int: Adams Cunnington McMillan Campbell
Emg: Mullet Pederson C Delaney

Players in focus
Geelong
Trent West

The young ruckman is beginning to come of age. Going from being stuck behind Ottens Mumford Blake etc and playing almost 100 vfl games, to playing in a premiership in his 6th year on the list, and now in the 7th due to retirements and injuries he is our clear no1 ruckman. While he made a few disposal errors last week his ruckwork was very good and it will need to be again against Goldstein and McIntosh. He will need to win that battle to give our midfielders first use, in conjunction with Orren Stepheson. Also can push forward and take marks when the opportunity is there.

Jimmy Bartel
Gun, just a gun. Mr everywhere, plays everywhere and makes an impact no matter where he plays. Even did a bit of third man up in the ruck last week. Will be interesting to see where he plays this week, will it be in the midfield with a licence to float back and help the defence, or as a forward to use his classy overhead marking. No doubt North will try and curb his impact, but Jimmy is very hard to curb.

The HawkPod
Couldn't come up with a better nickname but our tall forward duo is really starting to click. Hawkins has found his confidence, he is leaping at the ball and taking marks, his workrate is far better around the ground and he is imposing himself on contests. Imagine how good he could be if he learnt to not try and mark everything on his chest! Meanwhile Jpod has had a great start to the year, some worried if off season shoulder surgery would sap his confidence and by extension his power marking, but it definitely hasn't. Took some super marks against Hawthorn inlcuding a one hander on the goal line at a crucial stage in the last quarter. If we can win the midfield battle and get the ball into them quickly they can definitely do a heap of damage.

North
Hamish McIntosh

After an achilles injury ruined his year last year, the ruckman is back and starting to find form again. Played very well on the weekend and offers good service to his midfielders and is a dangerous target when forward. Despite missing the goal after the siren in round 1, he is a threat in the air and with Petrie could help stretch a Geelong defence missing Scarlo. In the ruck he and Todd Goldstein will seek to get on top of West and Orren, and will need to for North to win the game.

Daniel Wells
Just class, if they had a stat for making time stand still when you have the ball and dance around others, this bloke would be right up there. After missing much of the pre season with blood clots, he's had a great start to the year. It's often said North have a lot of ball winners but lack good ball use, which is why Wells is so crucial, he's the best ball user in their side. I'd be giving him close attention with someone like Taylor Hunt to try and curb his influence.

Brent Harvey
In week where Dustin Fletcher notches up 350, here's another bloke who keeps on keeping on. Boomer might not be North's captain anymore but he's still a crucial leader for a young group and is one of it's best players. He hasn't lost any of his pace and can kick goals. Will need to be given close attention.

Where it will be won and lost
It all starts in the midfield. Possibly the one clear advantage North has over Geelong is it's rucks, and so they must win the ruck battle. North has some good ball winners including Swallow and Ziebell and Bastinac, so it will most certainly be a competitive battle. But you suspect the class and depth of Geelong's midfield rotation may have sway. The key will be whether our midfielders can win the ball and get it in long and quick before numbers get back. If they can do that, and we can isolate Pods and Hawkins, you struggle to see Thompson Firrito and Hansen holding them. Up the other end though Drew Petrie poses a great threat if North's midfielders can get the ball in quickly. It will be a big job for Tom Lonergan but he's more than up to the task.

Verdict
This game will be competitive, particular if North's rucks hold sway. We are coming off a very bruising encounter too which means tiredness could be a factor if the game is close in the last quarter. That said, North have a lot of young bodies and they may tire as well as the game goes on. I expect they will be competitive for a long way, but the class of Geelong's midfield and the stength of our key forwards will prevail in the end.

Cats by 20 points.
Sunday 15 April Etihad Stadium 4:40PM (Local Time)
Melbourne Forecast Melbourne Radar

Would like to see (assuming Johnson and Selwood are OK)

OUT: Smedts Brown Stokes
IN: Hunt Stephenson Schroder

Toss up between the Hyphenator and Schroder for that spot, give Schroder the nod as he's a better like for like replacement for Stokes.

This will be the first time Geelong has worn a clash guernsey in a premiership season match since 2008.

It's also the first time the two clubs have met at Docklands since 2008, after continual trips down to Kardinia Park.

I have doubts that our current high possession game will hold up against the Cats experienced bigger bodies.

Any reason why the AFL didn't make this game a Geelong home at Kardinia? Keeping the premiers away from home till round 4 is rude. :D

I really hope the boys will be on for this game. North Melbourne is a good (not great) team and is very likely to play finals. If we want to be top four, we've got to win these games, but we can not afford to take this team lightly.

Stephenson (assuming he wasn't genuinely crook last week) will be back in, for sure and I wouldn't be surprised if Scotty chose to sub West in the last quarter, considering his workload yesterday. Harvey still has the reputation of struggling against good, hard taggers, so I wonder if they'll send Poodle to him, or if he'll get one of their other midfielders (Bastinac had a huge game against the Giants, but you've got to be more worried about Swallow or Wells cutting you up than him). Lonergan will go to Petrie and Taylor will be matched up on Edwards, while Thompson will go to Hawkins and Firrito or McMahon will get the job on Pods.

I'm wary, but it's really not a game we should lose.

Will be interesting to see how we pull up after such a tough game, especially the kids. Although I would only say Smedts and Motlop would be the only ones who might struggle. Christensen had a shortened preseason so he might be a bit sore, especially after he was so involved yesterday.
Changes will be interesting.

Would like to see (assuming Johnson and Selwood are OK)

OUT: Smedts Brown Stokes
IN: Hunt Stephenson Schroder

Toss up between the Hyphenator and Schroder for that spot, give Schroder the nod as he's a better like for like replacement for Stokes.

Fair calls. Byrnes would be another in the gun this week (probably prefer Smedts to stay in than Byrnes), assuming we haven't started the weekly general soreness rotations yet. Brown could be a weapon against an undersized North Melbourne defence, especially considering the focus they will put on Pods and Hawkins, so I'd be happy to see him stay in the side.

Bring in the Hyphen, he is gunning it and his preseason has been impressive. Would like to see Smedts retain his place, but given limitations with body at such young age, maybe wise to rest him. Give Byrnes another run but Stokes maybe unlucky....the big O should also get a guernsey. Not sure who will maie way for Josh Hunt.

In: Stephensen

Out: Stokes

We will need the extra ruck against North
. Stokes is the very obvious out. Was woeful yesterday.

Not necessarily.
Let's bear in mind the Hawks had McCauley, Hale and Roughead all in yesterday.

In regards to our tough game, look at it on the flip side at the walk in the park the Roos had. I really don't think walkovers like they had are a good preparation for the next week, especially against a very good team like Geelong.

It will be interesting to see how Scott balances 'reward for playing well' and resting the younger guys. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rookies rested despite a decent game the week before. He seems to favour rotating and body management type stuff. For that reason I'm guessing that Stokes will stay in while maybe Smetts earned a rest.

Would be good to see the Hyphen in action soon. Haven't watched Orren play yet either; would be a big test against Norths tall timber which is very solid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....... Thompson will go to Hawkins and Firrito or McMahon will get the job on Pods.

I'll be very surprised if Hansen doesn't come back in this week to take Hawkins. He seems to be over his hamstring niggle after pulling down 10 marks for Werribee on the weekend.

Hansen to Hawkins and Thompson to Pods appears more likely to me.

McMahon and Firrito will get Johnson and Chapman.

Fair calls. Byrnes would be another in the gun this week (probably prefer Smedts to stay in than Byrnes), assuming we haven't started the weekly general soreness rotations yet. Brown could be a weapon against an undersized North Melbourne defence, especially considering the focus they will put on Pods and Hawkins, so I'd be happy to see him stay in the side.

Bring in the Hyphen, he is gunning it and his preseason has been impressive. Would like to see Smedts retain his place, but given limitations with body at such young age, maybe wise to rest him. Give Byrnes another run but Stokes maybe unlucky....the big O should also get a guernsey. Not sure who will maie way for Josh Hunt.
Smedts was injured, that's why he was subbed - suggestion was it was reasonably serious as well. Otherwise I'd keep in, has earned a spot the last two weeks.

This will be a very tight game and North will trouble us. I think they will have more run in their legs seeing as we're coming off a 6-day break and a brutal game against the Hawks, not to mention the Freo game where our guys were out on their feet also.

Cats by 16, could go either way though but we shouldn't lose this one.

Regards to GHS, has he a nickname? The Hun?

The Hyphen.

I'm a Byrnes fan but he was very poor yesterday - seemed slow both in speed and decision making. I'd like to see him build up some form in the VFL before he gets another game. Stokes was also disappointing but he was OK in round 1 and has the runs on the board.

IN: Stephenson
OUT: Byrnes

Smedts moves to the sub and Brown gets a full game.

I wasn't disappointed with Byrnes it was he's first game back in a while. It's always tough to pick up the pace of the game after a long lay off not including the fact that our games against Hawthorn are also like mini finals. He still seems to have his pace and his body is better conditioned to handle the weekly grind of AFL than a lot of our promising kids, he will definitely be a required player for us this year. Stokes didn't have a great game but I can excuse it so long as it doesn't become a habit, he'll also have a role to cushion our younger players when their bodies tire.

Really wasn't the day for small forwards was it? Unexpectedly so tbh.

I'd think it'd be a certainty that Smedts will miss with a shoulder for safety's sake.
OS back in for Smedts for mine and give Stokes and Byrnes another shot.
Not the Geelong Way to dump players on one poor performance, and they weren't exactly abysmal.

Mind you if J. Hunt is ready, who do you drop?

Stokes was woeful yesterday, but he's more secure in the side than Byrnes at the moment, based on the fact that the latter was a late inclusion. Therefore since they were both poor, Shagga will probably go out for Orren, though I'd keep him in as I think he needs gametime. Don't think they'll drop Stokes yet and I doubt they'll drop both in the same week.

The other change will be Josh in for Brown, or for Smedts (I noted shoulder injury in the match listing).

Horlin-Smith probably the other one in if anyone is sore off a six day break, but I'd probably debut him at home next week.

Byrnes has to play at some level this week - can't have him missing a match again like last week.

Agree, he either stays in (which probably means Stokes goes out) or he goes out of the 25 altogether, I thought Shannon worked really hard defensively yesterday but he looked like a player who was incredibly rusty, and he needs gametime somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back