Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray-logo-1999.gif
VS
StKilda-logo-1995.gif

7.40pm, Saturday April 14, 2011, Etihad Stadium

Last time we met: Western Bulldogs 8.9.57 def by St Kilda 12.9.81, round 12, 2011 at Etihad Stadium

Line-up:
B Murphy Lake Addison
HB Hargrave Markovic Wood
C Cross Boyd Griffen
HF Dahlhaus Jones Cooney
F Giansiracusa Minson Higgins
Foll Roughead Liberatore Picken
Inter Grant Djerrkura Smith Cordy

Bulldogs Preview: The Bulldogs come up against the Saints this week, a team we haven't beaten since midway through 2008. This year however the Saints are expected by many to drop further down the ladder and start a transactional rebuilding phase, similar to the Bulldog's 2011 season. The Bulldogs are desperate for their first win under McCartney and it would be great to break the 6 match losing streak to St Kilda on Saturday night.

At the Selector's Table: Not a lot to be expected this week selection wise. The only injury concern from the Adelaide match was a knock to Ryan Hargrave's leg late in the game, however reports are that he is fine. Clay Smith had a quiet game before being subbed off, but should keep his spot. Once again, Cordy may be looked at to provide another tall option up forward next to Jones, but this appears unlikely given the route selectors have taken in the first two weeks. Prediction: No change.

The Game: Whilst the Saints will not be as feared this year as in previous seasons, they still retain their big list of top-line talent in Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard, Fisher, Hayes, Milne and Montagna who cannot be underestimated. The Saints are full of confidence having smashed the Suns, but were very poor in round 1 against Port. Yet again, we are up against some twin towers in Riewoldt and Koschitzke who will be given to Lake and Markovic. I'm not sure who will go to Milne, perhaps Wood for pace, although Addison is the right size. Our midfield will be tested as the Saints still have a lot of class, with exceptional deliverers in Goddard and Dal Santo. A point to note in their loss to Port Adelaide first up was the contested possession count which the Power won 152-127. Given this has been a strong focus for the Bulldogs, we should really be looking to have a solid advantage in this which will give us a great chance to get on top around the ground. Jones was easily accounted for last week by the Adelaide defenders as they double teamed him, so it’s important that support is provided for him, as Minson and Roughead have barely been sighted up forward in the opening two games. Things should be starting to click now with the new game style, and at Etihad we should be confident of getting the job done.

Players to Watch:
Matthew Boyd: Stood up last week in the 3rd quarter with two brilliant captain’s goals. Has admitted that his disposal thus far has been poor, hopefully he can turn it around this week.
Adam Cooney: Hampered by his knee injury, has shown signs of brilliance in his first two matches without putting together game-long performances. If he can fire then the Dogs may be close to matching the Saint’s midfield class.
Jordan Roughead: Has been quiet in the opening two rounds, needs to provide another marking option up forward and do more around the ground. Has shown last year that he has the ability, and with Cordy pushing hard for selection he has to make an impact.

Prediction: Important game for both sides. The Dogs last week showed that they won’t go away if they fall behind, so this one should be a cracker. It’s about time we got on top of them, and we’re every chance. Bulldogs by 7 points.

Saints perspective from : Richter

Line-up:
B Geary Simpkin Blake
HB Gilbert Fisher Dempster
C Montagna Dal Santo Goddard
HF Milera Riewoldt Steven
F Milne Koschitzke Stanley
Foll McEvoy Hayes Armitage
Inter Jones Newnes Ledger Cripps

Saints Preview:
In all likelihood St Kilda are going through a rebuilding phase as we try to unearth and develop some young talent over the next couple of years in order to have another crack whilst the likes of Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher and Goddard are still around as veterans. (Assuming we keep hold of them all of course.) Question is how low will the team fall whilst doing this? We're hoping we can do it Sydney style and continue to scrape in to the 8 whilst blooding the new guys. Against Port the Saints were disappointing in contested possession, whilst last week we stepped it up big time against the easybeat Suns.

At the Selector's Table:
No change. Though expect Cripps to drop to the bench and Tom Ledger, an up and coming clearance machine, to start.

The Game:
Which St Kilda midfield will turn up? Ball in hand we have guns like Dal Santo and Goddard who can and have cut up many teams. Our clearance work is reliant on the likes of Hayes, who traditionally does well against the Dogs, Montagna, who has been relatively quiet so far this season, and the younger brigade of Steven and Armitage. There's a lot expected of these latter two, and they have given inconsistent performances in the 2 games so far.

Down back we lack a genuine key tall, and prefer not to have to play Sam Fisher in a purely negating role. Compared to last year we are missing Dawson, Ray, Baker, and in particular the excellent Gwilt, who is back in full training but probably still 6 weeks or so away from a return from an ACL reco sustained last year. However, I don't see any real menace in the Dogs forward line, so the team defence is likely to be able to hold the Dogs from getting any real dominance in that area.

Up forward, whisper it quietly, but the Saints are no longer so much of a "kick it to Roo" team. Last week he played much better compared to round 1, but the real story is that all of Roo, Kosi, Stanley, Milne and Milera are contributing. It's only two rounds in, but already we're seeing the nucleus of a new attacking approach.

Players to Watch:
Nick Riewoldt - A faded star or is there life in the champ left yet? Unlikely to rip up a team on his own any more, but with the Saints changing multi-pronged attack he could profit without needing to be the only forward Tall target for the Saints.

Lenny Hayes - Had a great game in the engine room last week, expect more of the same as the Dogs onballers battle it out with him and his young lieutenants for midfield superiority

Terry Milera - silky skills. Slight but deceptively strong, we're rapt with this guy in his first two games of AFL. Won't be the difference between the teams, but I hope you guys enjoy seeing his talent in action. Glides over the turf. Check out his goal of the round contender from last week for a taster (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/16412/default.aspx)

Prediction:
Important game for both sides. Lose this one and whilst it is early in the season Saints fans can realistically expect that finals footy is unlikely this year as Port and the Bulldogs are 2 games that we would expect to win if the top 8 is to be a prospect. However, I expect the team to rise to the challenge, especially at Etihad on a Saturday night. Saints by 25 points.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Great write-up Sentinel.

As you mentioned, the contested possession count will be a crucial factor with this game.

Hope Smith keeps his spot.

Cordy to get a game this week I think, possibly at the expense of Dickson or Roughead.

Was really happy with Djerkurra's game on the wkend, thought he provided some good run and carry, hoping he keeps his spot as well.

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Was really happy with Djerkurra's game on the wkend, thought he provided some good run and carry, hoping he keeps his spot as well.

Agreed, he looked good and I can't see why he won't be able to establish a spot in the 22 if he keeps it up. Showed glimpses of it last year, coming off a solid preseason I think he is in for a big year. He will have pressure coming from guys like Tutt and Sherman, but that is only a good thing for the side.

Excellent preview Sentinel.
My take on our chances is fairly simple:
If we go in with the existing structure we are about a 45/55 chance of winning.
If we can fix the forward structure to give another marking target other than Jones throughout the match not just for 5 minutes here and there, then I think we are a 60/40 chance of winning.

I don't care how we fix that structure (Cordy or Hill or Campbell could come in, Panos as a lead-up target, Roughy or Minson to somehow become 100% more potent up forward) just as long as we TRY SOMETHING.

Ricky_Lake

Team Captain
Mar 19, 2008
western suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
i agree Dogwatch, i have been really impressed with our attack on the ball in the first 2 games and even forwardline pressure but we just need to convert and we are in good shape. Markovic impressed me sat night and i beleive if Gilbee is on the long term injury list (hope he isnt) then cambell should be promoted. i went to ballarat and seen him play, what a massive unit he is bring him on and get the members salivating

DragzLS1

Team Captain
Nov 16, 2011
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Great preview and I think we are definatley in with a chance, but once again it will require our forward 50 entries to hit the target and wasted chances to be taken.

Should be a cracking game can not WAIT!!

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Disappointing to see that the game will only be televised on Foxtel, as Channel 7 are taking the Gold Coast-Essendon game. It won't worry me as I will be going along, but this sucks for a lot of people who can't get to the game. Surely two Melbourne sides head to head should take preference over a one sided contest featuring the Suns. We're only getting 2 games on Channel 7 over the first 9 games, the first not being until round 6. The club really needs exposure and you'd think that this would be a good chance for it.

Disappointing to see that the game will only be televised on Foxtel, as Channel 7 are taking the Gold Coast-Essendon game. It won't worry me as I will be going along, but this sucks for a lot of people who can't get to the game. Surely two Melbourne sides head to head should take preference over a one sided contest featuring the Suns. We're only getting 2 games on Channel 7 over the first 9 games, the first not being until round 6. The club really needs exposure and you'd think that this would be a good chance for it.

Probably because of the "Saints footy" game plan that resulted in horrible viewing. I'd rather watch golf then Ross Lyon's gameplan at St Kilda and I ****ing hate golf

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Probably because of the "Saints footy" game plan that resulted in horrible viewing.

As opposed to "Gold Coast footy" of who can pick how big the margin will be? Hopefully they've turned the corner under Watters.

It is a shame, in previous years there have been some abosulute crackers between these 2 sides (which we always end up losing). I get that the AFL likes to put the big teams on show, but surely Essendon will be on FTA enough without needing this week to be shown. If I were a neutral observer, I know which game I'd rather be watching.

mysainters

Cancelled
St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger Sponsor 2013
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I could take the liberty from a Saints perspective.

Players to Watch:

David Armitage: Something appeared to click v the Suns, and Saints fans would like to see him back it up this week against a quality midfield. He won his fair share of contested possessions, an area where Saints needed to improve, and where Lenny needs some support.
Rhys Stanley: Nice signs from the big guy, with both his positioning and marking showing rapid improvement. Playing as a third tall in the forward line, he is providing support to Roo and Kosi, yet with the mobility of a smaller forward. Looking forward to seeing him doing stints in the ruck v a fellow young emerging player in Roughead.
Brendon Goddard: Showing signs of hitting some form, after a delayed start to his preseason. Collecting a heap of disposals, hitting targets, and even attempting to soar for marks again, you can't help but feel he is about ready to take a game by the scruff of the neck

As opposed to "Gold Coast footy" of who can pick how big the margin will be? Hopefully they've turned the corner under Watters.

It is a shame, in previous years there have been some abosulute crackers between these 2 sides (which we always end up losing). I get that the AFL likes to put the big teams on show, but surely Essendon will be on FTA enough without needing this week to be shown. If I were a neutral observer, I know which game I'd rather be watching.

A mix of promoting the interstate team and those previous sludge fest games of the past couple of years meant our game didn't appeal most likely?

mysainters

Cancelled
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cheers mate, what margin are you predicting?

Saints by 21

I'm just not sure your defence will be able to withstand all three talls, if Lake goes to Kosi, who then to Nick and Rhys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A mix of promoting the interstate team and those previous sludge fest games of the past couple of years meant our game didn't appeal most likely?

Yeah I'm sure that's the rationale the AFL would be using. It's just surprising, I would have expected at least one out of this week and next week against Melbourne to be shown, regardless of how high quality the match is expected to be. I'm not one to complain about us getting a rough run from the AFL, and it doesn't matter to me given I go along to all Melbourne games and otherwise have Foxtel, but it would have been nice for some supporters without that sort of access to get to watch us before May.

Saints by 21

I'm just not sure your defence will be able to withstand all three talls, if Lake goes to Kosi, who then to Nick and Rhys?

Would expect Markovic to be given a chance on Riewoldt, and perhaps Hargrave on Stanley, who will also peel off and try to give Markovic some help. Wood may also be a contender for Stanley. To be honest I'm not too worried about the St Kilda talls, particularly if Markovic can play well on Riewoldt, its the smalls in Milne, Steven and Milera who might trouble as they are difficult matchups for us.

It matters to those who don't live in Melbourne.
For my 2012 membership I expect to see 1 game this year (at Manuka where I usually end up paying close to Joe Public prices anyway) or maybe two, if I can make the trip down to Melbourne some time.
So the FTA coverage is important to people like me.

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Saints by 21

Lake will never go to Kosi. Markovic is more than capable of taking Kosi since he's not athletic enough to hurt us like Kennedy did.

Are you aware that you can pay to watch each game for as little as $5 on your mobile/tablet etc, if you're with Telstra?
I was aware of a live video deal on mobiles but I don't have an Android or iPhone. Is it also available for iPad (with Telstra)? I haven't been able to find anything on it. Can you provide a link?
And does "as little as" $5 mean that about 0.1% of consumers pay $5, while the rest have to pay $20-$30? (Because that's what the phrase "as little as" usually means.)

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
As far as I'm aware it's just $5 a game, but I haven't really looked into it as we already have Foxtel and I don't have an Android phone or ipad or anything (and I know very little about apps), but I did hear about some of it the other day.
Here is a link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130383/default.aspx
"AFL Live Game Pass: $5 per game for LIVE streaming of an AFL match on mobile and tablet devices. $10 for a month (all games and first month free). $50 for the whole season"
So unless there's a joining fee or whatever, it really is just $5 a game, or less, if you get the monthly or season pass.
And they say that an iPad app is also available. :thumbsu:

Here is another link that will prolly help you more: http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/afllive/?ti=TR:TR:Mar12:afl:lo:afllive&red=/afllive/

and here is a link to the thread on it all here on BF: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910452&page=23

mysainters

Cancelled
May 22, 2009
Melb
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lake will never go to Kosi. Markovic is more than capable of taking Kosi since he's not athletic enough to hurt us like Kennedy did.

Ok thanks, just going off previous games.

How do you think they will line up?

Testekill

Don't look at me like that
Dec 3, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray Bulldogs, Williamstown
Ok thanks, just going off previous games.

How do you think they will line up?
Markovic to Kosi. Markovic simply doesn't have the aerobic capacity to go with Riewoldt but Kosi is the type of forward that Lukas can match up with.

Lake to Riewoldt when Riewoldt is playing in the forward 50 and having Hargrave run with him further up the ground to negate him somewhat

Murphy to Milne (Murphy has beaten Betts in the past and Milne is every bit as good as Betts and is a stronger bodied player that needs an intelligent player against him)

Wood to Stanley (not sure how much this will hurt us but he can play tall and hopefully provide some chop off and rebound)

Not too sure about other players. Someone like Saad could be very dangerous because of how creative a forward he was for the Bullants last year and we would need some real pace to combat him.

Things would be much easier if Williams and Morris weren't injured. Williams would take Riewoldt and Morris would play against Milne or Stanley.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Dogs run all over us. Not from a margin perspective (though it wouldn't surprise me) but just all over the ground because we've got a very tall team in which worries me. If we don't mark the ball I think we're in big trouble.

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Murphy to Milne (Murphy has beaten Betts in the past and Milne is every bit as good as Betts and is a stronger bodied player that needs an intelligent player against him)

I would go with Addison to Milne. Murphy needs to be able to create and he won't be able to do that if he is too occupied with Milne. Only have to look at what Betts did in the NAB cup when Murphy was playing on him. As soon as Addison took over Betts had very little influence on the game and Murphy was able to run and create play.

As far as I'm aware it's just $5 a game, but I haven't really looked into it as we already have Foxtel and I don't have an Android phone or ipad or anything (and I know very little about apps), but I did hear about some of it the other day.
Here is a link: http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/130383/default.aspx
"AFL Live Game Pass: $5 per game for LIVE streaming of an AFL match on mobile and tablet devices. $10 for a month (all games and first month free). $50 for the whole season"
So unless there's a joining fee or whatever, it really is just $5 a game, or less, if you get the monthly or season pass.
And they say that an iPad app is also available. :thumbsu:

Here is another link that will prolly help you more: http://www.telstra.com.au/latest_offers/afllive/?ti=TR:TR:Mar12:afl:lo:afllive&red=/afllive/

and here is a link to the thread on it all here on BF: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=910452&page=23
Thanks aussierr, I've downloaded the free app and it says video is unmetered on the iPad (as long as I use the Telstra network direct and not via wifi ... no probs there).

However no joy trying to view match highlights or replays which ought to be easier than live streaming. Various errors. The BF thread has a fair bit of discussion on this but it's predominantly negative, as are many of the apps reviews.

I'd gladly pay $50 for an AFL LIVE season pass ... but not without the ability to see the game live! All the other stuff is window dressing and easily obtained from other sources.

Verdict: Bummer so far. Not hopeful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back