AFL Round 3: Carlton v Collingwood, MCG @ 7:50pm (PLUS Live Blog @ 7PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies test Carlton credentials

BigFootyNews.com Preview

Death or Glory awaits Carlton on Friday Night.

This is without doubt, the club’s biggest game in over a decade.

Finals aside, Carlton have never proved or consolidated they are a top tier side or premiership threat, and a win over Collingwood would have Geelong, Hawthorn and the Eagles looking in their rear-view mirrors.

On the other side of the coin, everyone is half-wittingly writing off Collingwood due to their slow start and the absence of the likes of Chris Tarrant in defence.

Despite playing lacklustre football in their game against the Tigers and being knocked off by the superior Hawks in their first run for 2012, they are still serious premiership contenders.

With a full house on Friday Night and likely perfect weather, this is shaping up to not only be the match of the round, but quite possibly contender for Game of the Year if it plays out as predicted.

More ->

Carlton Board Preview

Collingwood Board: Preview / Matchday

Live Blog - Starts @ around 7

Take part on your mobile:

http://mobile.coveritlive.com/ -> Live Now -> search for 'bigfooty'

[live]69b09af704[/live]

For anyone who wants to post in the thread and the live chat at the same time without having to constantly refresh, here's the URL of the live chat so you can have it open in another tab -

http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.php/option=com_altcaster/task=viewaltcast/altcast_code=69b09af704

I'm amazed at the odds for this game. Three weeks ago everyone was writing off Carlton after a winless preseason. Two rounds later, they beat Richmond and Brisbane, and now they are up there with flag favourites and expected to beat Collingwood...

Carlton never had any problems beating teams like Richmond and Brisbane last year, but still were never able to beat a top 4 team. What exactly has changed?

If Carlton win tonight, then they deserve some of the hype they're getting as a premiership contender. Lose, and a lot of questions will be asked if they have really improved since 2011 and whether they have what it takes to battle it with the big guns.

Big Friday night game by any means, and look forward to what should be a good game!

The Blues hype and odds are ridiculous. That being said, it'll be a cracker of a game, but I think the Pies are still the better team and will win a close one. Carlton making ground quickly though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok I’d just like to point something out that i have been noticing since last year, and that is people continually saying that Carlton have not beaten a top 4 side over the years. now while this is true for last year(even though we lost to hawthorn by 2 goals Geelong by less than a goal and took west coast in Perth to the brink without Waite, Gibbs, Kreuzer and an underdone Jamison), saying we have not beaten a top 4 team over the years is a lie. In 2009 we beat Geelong, Collingwood and the western bulldogs; we also took the saints to 9 points. In 2010 we beat the cats and the dogs and saints.
So whilst I agree that before we can be considered legit contenders we need to defeat the pies tonight, please stop pushing the notion that Carlton have been flat track bullies over the last few years because it is not true and just shows that you only pick the facts that suit you.

Not sure why we have all the hype, we have to start beating last years top 4 teams first.
Collingwood can still lift when needed, and are proven big game players thus I think they should be favorites for tonight.
Only time will tell if the blues are legitimate and tonight will tell us a bit.

Over the last few years you would say Cwood to win.
One huge change in circumstances though...Malthouse.

Seems to be a lot more question marks over cwood than previously.

Still think the Pies have an advantage in players, but it's fitness at this stage of the year/desperation/injuries/game plan that Carlton have an advantage in. Things like players including Swan, Shaw and Maxwell who haven't set the world on fire/played, experience in not throwing everything at early games, Johnson/Tarrant/Didak/Krakouer out and a modified game plan under Buckley. They also have to get used to life without Leigh Brown and Leon Davis, very important to their structures.

Meanwhile, Carlton look fit and strong-easily accounting for younger opponents, publicly saying they want to win every game, only Walker out injured, and a few seasons under Ratten. Almost the opposite to Collingwood really.

Some great match ups:
Jolly vs Kreuzer
Cloke vs Henderson
Reid vs Waite
Pendlebury/Swan/Ball vs Judd/Murphy/Robinson?
Toovey/O'Brien vs Garlett/Betts

Reckon the Pies have an edge in those matchups. Will win by however much I predicted in the predictions thread. Think it was 8 points. Hoping for a 95k ish crowd

Cant wait for the game tonight! Just hope it's a nail biter with the Blues getting up. Pies are always gonna be tough!

Wish I was the the G tonight....the atmosphere will be electric!!

Blues by 7 points.....hopefully!

I think Blues will win, but that doesn't prove they are contenders. you will have to wait until the end of the year to see who the contenders are. its only round 3. Last year, the Pies started strong and Geelong had a slow start to the season, but by the end of the year, geelong were unstoppable and Collingwood had no chance. Pies will be doing the same this year as Geelong last year and time their run so that they will peak during the finals. West Coast were not contenders in round 3 either so things can change as the season progresses.

Going by form, Blues by 16 points in front of 91K
Should be a good match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back