Game Day Round 4: Hawthorn vs West Coast, Saturday 21st April **Including Live Chat in OP from 7.30pm**

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 3

Hawthorn v West Coast Eagles

Subiaco, Saturday, 21st April, 7.30 P.M (EDT)

Haeks_logo(lge).jpg
West-coast-eagles-logo.jpg

Last Time

Hawthorn Hawks 2.0 5.4 6.8 10.12 72
West Coast Eagles 3.4 4.9 6.10 9.11 65

Squads

Hawthorn

B: Benjamin Stratton, Josh Gibson, Brent Guerra
HB: Grant Birchall, Ryan Schoenmakers, Matt Suckling
C: Brendan Whitecross, Sam Mitchell, Shane Savage
HF: Shaun Burgoyne, Lance Franklin, Michael Osborne
F: Cyril Rioli, Jarryd Roughead, Jack Gunston
Foll: David Hale, Brad Sewell, Jordan Lewis
I/C: Clinton Young, Liam Shiels, Kyle Cheney, Bradley Hill
Emg: Cameron Bruce, Jarrad Boumann, Broc McCauley

In: Bradley Hill
Out: Luke Breust (Concussion)
New: Bradley Hill (West Perth)

West Coast Eagles

B: Eric Mackenzie, Darren Glass, Adam Selwood
HB: Beau Waters, Will Schofield, Shannon Hurn
C: Andrew Gaff, Matthew Priddis, Matthew Rosa
HF: Josh Hill, Quinten Lynch, Chris Masten
F: Dean Cox, Josh Kennedy, Ashton Hams
Foll: Nic Naitanui, Scott Selwood, Daniel Kerr
I/C: Luke Shuey, Ashley Smith, Patrick McGinnity, Jack Darling
Emg: Mitch Brown, Koby Stevens, Ryan Neates

In: Darren Glass, Matthew Priddis, Matthew Rosa
Out: Mitch Brown, Bradd Dalziell (Knee), Koby Stevens

Preview courtesy of Leather Poisoning ...and 'tis a good 'un!

Formline – the year so far.
Here we are, four weeks into the season and the hawks are packing our suitcases for the first time and heading out west, where life is peaceful. This is going to prove to be the most difficult road trip of all in 2012 so any side that wants to head across to Perth needs to bring their best players, their best performance and maybe even a little dash of luck if they’re going to include 4 points in their luggage allocation for the way home.

The home side has played well this season. Really well when you look at the fact they’ve won all games by significant margins and that they’re sitting on top of the ladder. It starts to look a lot less impressive when you examine their opponents. Melbourne are awful, the Dogs are trying to rebuild a side and are currently looking for someone – anyone- to take a decent mark in their forward line, and then there’s GWS who are the worst side to ever grace a cow a paddock. But you can only beat the sides they put against you and WCE have done as expected, and probably treated the last three weeks as an extended preseason.

The hawks could not have had a greater contrast. We’ve already played the two grand finalists from last year as well as a previously undefeated Adelaide side that had delusions of launching into the top half of the ladder before we scrunched them up into a ball and threw them in the bin. The hawks have played one bad (well, downright awful) quarter out of 12 and that was enough to gift a win to the enemy. A bad quarter this weekend would almost guarantee an eagles win.

Some statistics
Hawthorn are the leading tackling side in the competition. That’s right, the side famous for the chip-chip, keepings off style (according to lazy journalists) are currently putting more pressure on their opposition than any other club in the league. Interestingly, WCE are the least tackled side in the league.

Despite the Hawks apparent weakness in the ruck we have managed to win the hit outs in every game so far. Not yet have we come up against a ruck division of the might of NicNat/Cox, but I think we’ll do better than most would assume. NicNat is a joy to watch, regardless of who you support. The man is majestic. Cox, probably more effective, less flair. Both are concerns.

I heard a statistic, but can’t find info to verify, that West Coast has struggled to win the clearance stats in the games they’ve played, despite dominating. This can often happen when a clearly superior side drops off the intensity a bit and takes advantage of skill errors from the other side – possibly a misleading stat.

Let’s analyse the coming game in a little more detail:
The West Coast forward line
The main board is already posing the question of whether the hawks defence will be shot to pieces by the tall options of West Coast. Kennedy is leading the goal kicking and Lynch, Darling, NicNat and Cox are also extremely capable in the overhead marking area. All eyes will be on the young fella Ryan Schoenmakers – a guy who has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. He cops it from commentators, from supporters and from the opposition by the guy has a champion attitude. Unfortunately that doesn’t make up for a clear lack of strength which means the whole Hawthorn game style will have to shield him from being isolated.

It’s not just the talls that are the problem however. Despite losing LeCras and Nicoski to long term injuries the eagles have found other avenues to goal. Hams and Hill are proving to be nimble little opportunists that are worthy of some close checking.
If this doesn’t sound daunting enough – West Coast are also very good at applying forward pressure. Jack Darling is a champion of this: gentle by name, nasty by nature.

The hawks no-frills defence is gaining reputation for its skill in rebounding. Gibson, Birchall, Guerra, Suckling, Schoenmakers, Burgoyne are all highly skilled – and it has been a treat to watch them slice through defensive set ups like a samurai sword through a herd of rabbits. It would be interesting to see the stats for which sides have gone coast-to-coast the most this season. Gibson, Stratton and Schoenmakers, and in all likelihood Jarrod Roughead will share the load in trying to kill the high ball. Expect a congested West Coast forward line for most of the game.

The Hawthorn forward line
It seems to be Hawthorn’s mission to be less Franklin-conscious in 2012. Clarkson has spoken about it for years but now Buddy is getting some serious game time through the middle. The hawks have subsequently spread the load. Cyril, Hale, Lewis, Whitecross, Shiels, Gunston, Savage are all capable of kicking 3 on their day – although against quality opposition we tend to revert to old habits.
A big problem with reverting to old habits for the hawks is Darren Glass. Far too strong and clever for Buddy in contests, Buddy will need to work extremely hard for his goals. He let us down a bit last week, the big bud, he only kicked 3, had two goal assists, 4 clearances and 25 disposals. If he can play a decent game this week we might have a chance. Beyond Glass the eagles have a number of tall options, but considering the hawks have been making such good use of smaller statured goal kickers it will be about application and collective defensive efforts from WCE to quell the scoring. Hawks might have the edge in this half of the ground if we can deliver intelligently into the forward 50.

In the Guts
The midfield battle is extremely hard to pick. Roughead and Shiels returned to the hawk midfield last week and laid 17 tackles between them – that’s a LOT of additional midfield pressure at the contest, which is exactly what is needed to take on West Coast as their ruckmen have the running and clearance capacity to contribute.

Both sides bat deep in terms of the quality that can be rotated through. The hawks A team is probably Hale, Shiels, Mitchell and Sewell – with the ability to rotate Buddy, Roughead (can’t believe those two are playing midfield!) Cyril, Lewis, Burgoyne trough there with great effect. West Coast have an A team that consists of Cox, Priddis, Kerr and Shuey – which is mighty impressive. Add to that Selwood, Masten and a few others that can rotate through and it’s difficult to select the superior midfield.

Kerr must be a bit of a worry for the eagles. He’s in a lean patch of form, and Priddis is uncertain to play. Matt Rosa is another one that was out last week and is trying to get up for this match. This may tip the midfield ascendency back towards the hawks, but until the sides come out it’s going to be very tough to call.

Other considerations
Playing in Perth is a huge advantage. If this game were in Melbourne I’d confidently tip Hawthorn by 3-4 goals, but since it’s on the other side of the country puts it back in question mark territory. The hawks are coming off a second consecutive six-day break and the eagles are most likely going to bring in Glass and Priddis as high quality, well-rested additions to the team. Hairdos are also significant – and with NicNat, Priddis and Masten all looking like idiots I think the hawks side may be distracted at times. The hawks have to bring in someone for the concussed Breust. It may be the captain Hodge, who would be a great addition, but with Brad Hill’s debut already being announced the hawks might be going in with just one change.

The verdict
Everyone except West Coast supporters seem to be confident of a West Coast win this week. If I was an impartial, unbiased observer I would probably tip them too – especially with the advantage help in the eagles’ front half.

Eagles by 24 points.

[live]ce26c34443[/live]

Re: Rnd4, Hawthorn vs West Coast, Saturday 21st April

Clarkson confident Hawthorn's best can match West Coast

Most footy fans believe Hawthorn is a certainty for a top four spot this year. And Alastair Clarkson is quietly confident that this week's clash against top team West Coast will remove doubts about the club's potential after the round two narrow loss to Geelong.

Link

Fantastic preview - I like the dig at the media regarding our game plan. I can only count on one hand the number of times we have used the chip it around tactic, and that was only to slow the game up and keep possession. Huddo still queries how our chip style will hold up this year.

If Bruce plays we are not serious about winning this game IMO. Birch is a massive loss for us! Can't wait to get to the game and cheer on the boys, Carn Hawks :)

Birchall, Hodge, Puopolo, Smith, Bailey, Breust, Gilham

5 or 6 of our best 18, and probably 7 of our best 22.

If we win over there against West Coast team that has set themselves for this game since the start of the season it will be probably one our best wins under Alastair Clarkson.

Birchall, Hodge, Puopolo, Smith, Bailey, Breust, Gilham

5 or 6 of our best 18, and probably 7 of our best 22.

If we win over there against West Coast team that has set themselves for this game since the start of the season it will be probably one our best wins under Alastair Clarkson.

Even a better win than our Grand Final win over Geelong?

I don't believe that it will be one of our best wins under Clarko by a long mile.
The weagles have beaten 3 of the seller dwellers for 2012, sure they have thrashed them, but what does that say actualy about thier form?

Hawthorn should be favorite for this game regardless where it is played at, Hawthorn are a real contender and a genuine flag threat.
I be disappointed if we do lose.
Weagles have a lot players playing injured and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them running on empty legs by the fourth term.

Re: Round 4: Hawthorn vs West Coast, Saturday 21st April

Hawthorn are the leading tackling side in the competition. That’s right, the side famous for the chip-chip, keepings off style (according to lazy journalists) are currently putting more pressure on their opposition than any other club in the league. Interestingly, WCE are the least tackled side in the league.

Nice writeup, LP. I think you may have hit on an important aspect of the game. The weaker teams don't apply great tackling pressure and WCE may not be ready for the type of footy that is going to be applied to them. We may just pressure them into turnovers and pressure kicking, which may just decide the game.

We had a nice 'keepings off' game last week against Adelaide, which is what we needed and what went a long way to an easy win, but this week we have to apply the screws like we would try with Geelong or Collingwood. We do this effectively enough, and we'll walk away with 4 points.

Weagles have a relatively young midfield & the older guys they do have aren't overly strong tacklers (Priddis & Kerr). This is the one team I would expect Buddy's size & power to actually work against in the middle, but with Sewell, Mitch, Burgoyne, Shiels, WX & Lewis for inside grunt (& Roughy playing ruck) I just don't see the point in further depleting the forwardline by getting him into the Centre Bounces. And even if he did win it out of the middle, he'd have nobody to kick it to...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very poor form by a few posters so far today, reckon even Bruce would get a gig over them the way their travelling :rolleyes:

FWIW, Bruce has played well the last few weeks at Box Hill and this is exactly the reason we got him - as depth to cover for injury.

Good luck to him should he play, and go Hawks.

Nothing personal against Bruce, but I doubt he's ever played in a win at Patersons stadium.

Boumann would be a good 3rd tall

Very interested to see how the team lines up. I think selection and how the team lines up is going to be the key and a good win in Perth today can set the season up. I am hoping McCauley is right to go and is in the starting line up. I would rather McCauley in the ruck and Rough getting a stint in the backline or in front of goals.

Looking at last week's game I like the idea of Cyril playing the hit up forward because he creates so much space which frees Buddy up to play midfield and "roam".

For all the talk of West Coast's height and our lack of it in defence I think the game will be won in the midfield as long as our midfielders can stay switched on for 4 quarters. Getting dominated for long periods of time (esp. centre breaks) against Geelong cost us the game and could have cost us the game against Collingwood. Has been an ongoing problem for a few years with the most telling example in last years preliminary final. With West Coasts injuries, pound for pound we have a much stronger midfield and I don't think they have a player that can go with Buddy if he lines up in the mid whereas their backline is much stronger.

Looking forward to a tough game but a good win.

Poor disposal going forward will kill us once we run and spread on a ground of this size.

I don't think Bruce is the answer, but then again I'm not on the match committee.

I can't see anyone handling the resting rucks without another tall in, and we have a rebounding tall in b-man who can theoretically cover for part of the loss of Birch, and fill that need.

The live chat will be living in the OP tonight. Hope you can join us.

Weagles have a relatively young midfield & the older guys they do have aren't overly strong tacklers (Priddis & Kerr). This is the one team I would expect Buddy's size & power to actually work against in the middle, but with Sewell, Mitch, Burgoyne, Shiels, WX & Lewis for inside grunt (& Roughy playing ruck) I just don't see the point in further depleting the forwardline by getting him into the Centre Bounces. And even if he did win it out of the middle, he'd have nobody to kick it to...

IMO, there's a lot of "long term gain for short term pain" about the way Clarko coaches.

I think it appears much more evident this year because Clarko knows he now has the depth, experience and talent required on the list to be able to pull out wins and make the top 4 this year while also making us a stronger and more well-rounded team by doing things a lot of us wouldn't think of doing at such a crucial stage of the Hawks premiership window.

Things like not playing Roughead down back (too often anyway, and not normally against the best key forward) in order to get Schoey the experience he needs and also to keep the bigger picture in mind in terms of game plans, rather than going with make-shift setups and structures that are aimed at short term gain. I think we want Rough to eventually be our second ruck who plays forward and who can go back when needed at times, so hence we use him in that role as often as possible. Same applies for Schoey at CHB, who while we could shift him elsewhere at certain stages of a game for short term gain, again the bigger picture is kept in mind by Clarko.

Buddy in the center too, to get our guys to find other avenues to goal, is another example of having the bigger picture in mind while possibly running the risk of getting hurt in the short term. The idea being IMO, that Buddy is released back into the forward line for 80%+ of games eventually down the track, and our guys will have learned not to look for him as much as they used to when he played forward full time back a couple of years ago.

I also think the same rule applies if you think back a few years to the early stages of our game plan pre-08 and the number of supporters who were tearing out their hair at some of the structures and tactics we were implementing. As we now know, it sure was only short term pain.

This sort of commitment requires a lot of confidence in the team by the coach, and likewise a lot of trust in the coach by the team.

Re: Round 4: Hawthorn vs West Coast, Saturday 21st April **Including Live Chat in OP**

Don't have time to read a short essay but absolutely love your work LP!

On a side note, did anyone find today's article in the HUN slightly out of Clarko's character - not that it was wrong in any way, he's just usually a little more complementary of the opposition.

IMO, there's a lot of "long term gain for short term pain" about the way Clarko coaches.

I think it appears much more evident this year because Clarko knows he now has the depth, experience and talent required on the list to be able to pull out wins and make the top 4 this year while also making us a stronger and more well-rounded team by doing things a lot of us wouldn't think of doing at such a crucial stage of the Hawks premiership window.

Things like not playing Roughead down back (too often anyway, and not normally against the best key forward) in order to get Schoey the experience he needs and also to keep the bigger picture in mind in terms of game plans, rather than going with make-shift setups and structures that are aimed at short term gain. I think we want Rough to eventually be our second ruck who plays forward and who can go back when needed at times, so hence we use him in that role as often as possible. Same applies for Schoey at CHB, who while we could shift him elsewhere at certain stages of a game for short term gain, again the bigger picture is kept in mind by Clarko.

Buddy in the center too, to get our guys to find other avenues to goal, is another example of having the bigger picture in mind while possibly running the risk of getting hurt in the short term. The idea being IMO, that Buddy is released back into the forward line for 80%+ of games eventually down the track, and our guys will have learned not to look for him as much as they used to when he played forward full time back a couple of years ago.

I also think the same rule applies if you think back a few years to the early stages of our game plan pre-08 and the number of supporters who were tearing out their hair at some of the structures and tactics we were implementing. As we now know, it sure was only short term pain.

This sort of commitment requires a lot of confidence in the team by the coach, and likewise a lot of trust in the coach by the team.

Well said. :thumbsu:

Good post, and should be noted by many.

Even a better win than our Grand Final win over Geelong?

I don't believe that it will be one of our best wins under Clarko by a long mile.
The weagles have beaten 3 of the seller dwellers for 2012, sure they have thrashed them, but what does that say actualy about thier form?

Hawthorn should be favorite for this game regardless where it is played at, Hawthorn are a real contender and a genuine flag threat.
I be disappointed if we do lose.
Weagles have a lot players playing injured and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them running on empty legs by the fourth term.
No, not better than the grand final win over Geelong.

But, as I said, would be one the best wins under Clarkson if we manage to pull it off and one of the biggest statements our team has made in the last few years if we managed to get up.

I rate West Coast extremely highly, and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't lose to any interstate teams all year at home.

For us to go over there using as much depth as we are would be a massive result for us. I'm not for a second saying we can't, just would find a win extremely significant if managed to be pulled off.

Very poor form by a few posters so far today, reckon even Bruce would get a gig over them the way their travelling :rolleyes:

FWIW, Bruce has played well the last few weeks at Box Hill and this is exactly the reason we got him - as depth to cover for injury.

Good luck to him should he play, and go Hawks.

Surely we have enough depth in our youth that we don't have to play a soft old grandad like Bruce.
He is depth for our depth at best.

Surely we have enough depth in our youth that we don't have to play a soft old grandad like Bruce.
He is depth for our depth at best.
We have Bruce or Bateman us our running depth currently. Who else is there?

Do people actually stop to think who is out, and why we are playing certain players?

Just as when Bruce played last year, Young, Bateman, Ellis were all hit with injuries. This didn't stop people from declaring war on the selection panel.

Same this year, we've had some injuries this year and people were calling for heads of some senior players, but I was/am not sure who these players are to magically come in to the side. We are playing our depth players because of injuries. We have about 6-7 of our best 22 out, plus injuries to a depth player or two. That is going to cause us to start using our last few depth players for cover, which is exactly what we are doing with Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back