Über

Remove this Banner Ad

When you finish your ride, you get sent an email receipt outlining your trip, the cost, and who your driver was with a photo. However most people's concerns with it, or the taxi industry's concern with it, is that theres less regulation in terms of the drivers and their qualifications.

Having said that, I've never had any issues with it. It's always been clean cars, with very friendly drivers (not that cabbies aren't friendly), and its cheaper than the cabs in Melbourne especially at night. You are also able to get out as soon as your arrive and you don't have to worry about paying with cash or card as it is all done through the app.

I was going home one night with a few mates from a club with Uber and one of my friends ended up leaving his wallet in the car. The driver realised about 10 minutes later and came back straight away to give it back.
That's good of him. My mate left his wallet in a cab and was stuck without any ID. Took 2 hours of waiting and a lie about medication being in there to get it back. Without the lie they wanted him to do all this follow up stuff the next day with some lost property number.

There would've been a huge chance of that wallet getting lost I reckon.

Uber should give the industry a wake up call.

The best one was when I was living in Sydney and needed to get a lift with mates to South's Leagues club in Redfern from the CBD (had a woman with a walking stick so needed a taxi as opposed to walking). The dickhead claimed he didn't know where it was despite having a freaking operating GPS system in his taxi.

I've also seen patrons having the door shut on them in Sydney's CBD after saying they needed to go to somewhere like Glebe or Pyrmont.

Welcome to the wonderful world of competition government owned taxi services.

The best one was when I was living in Sydney and needed to get a lift with mates to South's Leagues club in Redfern from the CBD (had a woman with a walking stick so needed a taxi as opposed to walking). The dickhead claimed he didn't know where it was despite having a freaking operating GPS system in his taxi.

I've also seen patrons having the door shut on them in Sydney's CBD after saying they needed to go to somewhere like Glebe or Pyrmont.

Welcome to the wonderful world of competition government owned taxi services.
I have to tell them some location closer to where we are or get a female friend to hail and talk to the cab just to get home sometimes.

And yes there are some creeps.

The health and safety card is always played by unions losing power.

It's not like taxi drivers aren't dodgy, anyway.

If the union look at the taxi industry I think they'll find a lot more concerns than what Uber presents with. s**t drivers, filthy taxis, leaving people waiting for taxis that never come....

My cabbie on Friday night was an Indian dude from Haryana, birthplace of Kapil Dev, we talked cricket, and weed. I'm surprised how many Indian stoners I'm meeting, maybe that's why so many are settling here.
God, you seem to love talking about weed.

Is it really that important that you have to mention it every second post?

Tried it the first time last week actually. Had work drinks in the city and being the tightass that I am, didn't wanna shell out for a $35 cab fare home. Ended up costing me $22, and because it was my first trip with Uber ended up getting it for free.

Apart from the price incentive, I really like the App design. Can live track the Uber, gives you the info on your driver and the numberplate (eased my initial concerns of accidentally getting in the wrong car lol), gives you a fare estimate and overall pretty simple to use.

Tried it the first time last week actually. Had work drinks in the city and being the tightass that I am, didn't wanna shell out for a $35 cab fare home. Ended up costing me $22, and because it was my first trip with Uber ended up getting it for free.

Apart from the price incentive, I really like the App design. Can live track the Uber, gives you the info on your driver and the numberplate (eased my initial concerns of accidentally getting in the wrong car lol), gives you a fare estimate and overall pretty simple to use.

Did that once, coming home from the city and I knew the car was a white holden. One pulls up in the meeting spot so I go to hop in it, turns out its not the car. Identical car bar the numberplate immediately pulls up behind it and quickly apologised to the confused guy and then left.

Took 2 ubers on Friday night. First driver only did weekends and reckoned he did pretty well maybe $500 for a few days work which I guess is realistic if you are driving to/from the city. He also said he'd just finished a job around the corner so was here in about 5 minutes.

2nd driver said he did uber full time like 50 hours a week. Probably an ex cabbie or something.

So much better than shitty taxi. Clean car, isn't on the phone the entire trip, doesn't stink and usually they have lollies, water etc. the 92% minimum rating really promotes good service as if you decline jobs as they come up it reduces your rating. Can't see myself using a taxi ever again

So they're better off than taxi drivers.

For those working as Uber drivers though, might want to check out your insurance. If your insurance is listed on the policy for private use only, that means that the insurance company is perfectly entitled to decline any claim made if the accident occurred whilst working for Uber.

They're not better off than taxi drivers, as I understand it they're famously poorly paid in comparison

While they might get a higher %, the fares are smaller and few and far between and they need to supply their own fuel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took Uber...took longer and cost more than regular taxi.

And the Taxi will go the way I want easily.

You're doing it wrong.
I can only do what I can do.

I called the guy, he came...followed GPS that took wayyyy to long. Ended up costing me heaps.

Taxi took me the way i wanted and it was cheaper. I can only comment on my scenario

I can only do what I can do.

I called the guy, he came...followed GPS that took wayyyy to long. Ended up costing me heaps.

Taxi took me the way i wanted and it was cheaper. I can only comment on my scenario
Was just having a joke. I hope you left him a poor review, they'll pull him up on it and after a few they lose their ability to take jobs.

Was just having a joke. I hope you left him a poor review, they'll pull him up on it and after a few they lose their ability to take jobs.

The thing is, he was new and really friendly and did a great job, so i wasn't really angry with him...its the bloody GPS they had to use that made things go bad.

Can you tell them which way you want to go? Or are they bound by the Uber GPS?

I have to tell them some location closer to where we are or get a female friend to hail and talk to the cab just to get home sometimes.

And yes there are some creeps.

I'm the opposite after a night out. Have to initially lie about my suburb to make it sound like a longer trip. And it's not like I live that close to the city either.

The thing is, he was new and really friendly and did a great job, so i wasn't really angry with him...its the bloody GPS they had to use that made things go bad.

Can you tell them which way you want to go? Or are they bound by the Uber GPS?
Im not sure actually. As far as I'm aware if you don't put a destination in you can direct them.

I use Uber. Cleaner, quieter cars and generally cheaper fares. Can ask them to change the radio station or turn it off without feeling like a bad guy. Really good o es hsve water and lollies.

Had one driver make me sit in the back seat which was annoying as I don't do my raping at 2.30 in the afternoon.

The government wants to tax it now too. Interesting that they are taxing something that is potentially illegal in the first place.
It is a service so as such should be taxed. As payment goes through Uber then they should be held responsible for collecting the GST.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back