“Bonza” Mate- New Aussie Low Cost Airline

Remove this Banner Ad

News is breaking that Australia is set to have a new low cost airline in 2022. Come on down, “Bonza.”

Pretty gutsy given the history of airlines in Aus but hope they do well.

Quite possibly the greatest time to start a new airline with Qantas and Virgin taking heavy profit hits during the pandemic and an Australian public itching to travel (especially in VIC & NSW).

Cheap aircraft available for lease or purchase. Airports that want to do business.

Not competing directly against Qantas or Virgin but more of a regional carrier.

Last edited:

I d0n't think I'll ever fly on a budget airline again, flying is painful enough without increased risk of delays and being far away from the main terminal.
I think we would be more likely to see services like Melbourne Avalon to Bundaberg or Avalon to Hamilton Island where there is demand for leisure travellers and where airport costs are lower. Possibly Tamworth or Kalgoorlie.

Doubt they will be using aero bridges much which could disadvantage some less mobile travellers.

Flying to smaller airports though, it’s generally a very short walk to the terminal (not much More than a tin shed in some cases).

I was surprised to hear recently that Sydney to Melbourne is the second busiest route in the world. Strange theres not more competition than two carriers.
I think Bonza are looking to differentiate from Qantas and Virgin. Airport fees at the major airports are also very high.

I think we would be more likely to see services like Melbourne Avalon to Bundaberg or Avalon to Hamilton Island where there is demand for leisure travellers and where airport costs are lower. Possibly Tamworth or Kalgoorlie.

Doubt they will be using aero bridges much which could disadvantage some less mobile travellers.

Flying to smaller airports though, it’s generally a very short walk to the terminal (not much More than a tin shed in some cases).
Some of those would work
Currently if you live in regional Qld you catch a plane to Brizzy and then somewhere else or the reverse....adds about 4 hours and $500 to your travel
Its only Hervey Bay, Mackay, Townsville and Cairns that fly to non Brizzy places
Air tiger used to do Rocky to Melb,now its just to Syd with Virgin.or Brizzy with Qantas

If you want to fly Hervey Bay,Bundy or Gladstone to Cairns you have to go South change plane and then go North

Air Asia is pretty good
Ive flown the Thai version too not bad,the Viet version was horrible

In Australia I avoid Virgin it seems the seats are closer

my wife's family owns a large stake of Air Asia's parent being Tune. The name Tune comes from the the Warner Brothers and Virgin Music connections and even Sony, BMG and Time

Have to have a good look at possibilities but if they are flying 737-800 aircraft then you are looking at airports with surfaced runways at least 1.8km long. Airports would also need existing facilities (or to build) capable of handling 160 odd passengers at a time.
Exciting prospect though.

HO potentially in Coffs Harbour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to have a good look at possibilities but if they are flying 737-800 aircraft then you are looking at airports with surfaced runways at least 1.8km long. Airports would also need existing facilities (or to build) capable of handling 160 odd passengers at a time.
Exciting prospect though.

HO potentially in Coffs Harbour?
Bundy and Gladdy have already extended their runways a few years back

"budget" airlines give me the shits. By the time you pay for your seat (!!!), a bag, a drink etc it's the same as flying Qantas half the time
If you were 2 seconds late for a Tiger flight they sold your ticket and then you had to pay for a Qantas flight too

Great for qlders but I'm not if I trust boarders to stay open for Victoria or nsw early next year if they open at all. Would hate to fly into Bundy to get told to quarantine on arrival.
Im sure they would tell you before you bought a ticket
Lets hope its open by Easter for the turtle season

"budget" airlines give me the shits. By the time you pay for your seat (!!!), a bag, a drink etc it's the same as flying Qantas half the time
Depends. A quick overnight or weekend trip with carry on only could be very affordable.

Eat on the way to the airport and on arrival at your destination and save on the plane food. Or pack some sangas.

Probably don’t need to pay for entertainment on most flights- BYO book.

Probably don’t need to fork out to choose your seat too.

I’m sure there will be plenty of options. Just up to the passenger to make an individual decision on whether it is worth the cost.

I've had good and bad experiences with budget airlines, with Air Asia and SouthWest (US) being the better ones.
Wouldn't fly Tiger but I have used Jetstar (or bought Qantas tickets which have put me onto JetStar flights) without much problem.

I really like what Rex is doing and wonder if Bonza will cannibalise some of their market share.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back