Past Andrew Walker

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Walker #1 - Player Review 2012

2012: 15 games player (7 games out injured)

It was as if in 2011 Andrew Walker felt like he had something to prove. At the end of 2010 he asked to be traded, but Carlton couldn’t broker a suitable deal. His second request - to be moved to the forward line was granted however. The first real sign that indicated the success of that move was in round 7 against St Kilda, when he kicked an after the siren goal from a difficult angle to snatch victory for Carlton. By the end of the year, Walker had played 24 games, kicked 56 goals and was a consistent and damaging player firmly establish in the best 22.

Walker’s AFL career has always been plagued with injury niggles. 2012 did not start for him until round five due to a quad injury and he missed another three games towards the end of the season. As a result of his injuries and to other carlton players, Walker was starved of the consistency that underlined his 2011 form. Too often Walker was forced to play well up the ground to cover for the loss of Carrazzo, Murphy, Simpson and Judd at different times of the year. At other times, Walker was forced to play as a key position forward due to injuries (or illness) to Waite, Hampson, Warnock, Henderson and Rowe. Although standing at 190cm, Walker relies more on his athleticism than height to create opportunities around goal. Added to these compromised roles was his game at back pocket against Steven Milne of St Kilda in the last round. Although most will probably remember this dual for the endless wrestles and niggling between the two, it was possibly one of Walker’s most damaging matches when measured as its contribution to the team. Milne was totally outclassed, out gamesmanshipped, and far from being a shutdown role Walker provided real dash and drive out of the back.

Walker’s goal output dropped dramatically (mostly for reasons mentioned above) from an average of around two per game in 2011 to around one per game in 2012. Aside from kicking less goals, what was concerning was the drop in his conversion efficiency from 67% to 59%. In 2011 Walker missed a lot more gettable goals. Given a consistent 2013 and a more structured forward line and game plan under Mick Malthouse, there is no reason why Walker couldn’t return to his 2011 form and output.

Counter to the mentality of Walker as the lock-in 3rd tall forward is Mick Malthouse’s stated game plan “defense first, defense second, defense third”. If Mick were true to his word then Walker would be playing in the back-line every game in 2013, if for no other reason than there is no-one else who has as much talent in this role in the Carlton side. Playing on the oppositions number one small, Walker would be taller, mostly likely faster and more agile and has the ability to follow them into the middle if required. The debate here is does putting Walker in the back-line take more from the side than it gives back?

Regardless of where he plays in 2013, Walker will be an integral part in Carlton’s assault on the finals. He has matured to a degree where he rightfully believes he can beat his direct opponent. His field kicking has improved to such a degree that he is now most likely in the top 5 in this area for Carlton. Like all players that are in, or near, the elite category, it is not necessarily about improvement for Andrew Walker in 2013. Rather, for Walker it is about the ability to play consistently at the highest level and the ability to rise to the occasion when the team most requires it. If he can do this then his real improvement in 2013 will be as a leader within the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tempted to start a toast thread for Walker's start to the year.

Has become one of our most important players and a real leader with the way he goes about it. When the ball is in his hands he almost always does something contructive with it and has also got us out of trouble plenty of times.

I think he is the first success story of the coaching changes. Never thought Ratts held him in high esteem. Malthouse clearly does.

Wiley, Walker wind back the clock & Ten questions to Andrew Walker
Worst moment in football?
Probably my first shoulder injury. I remember coming into to see the doc and saying ‘I think that’s it’. That was hard to take. That, and the time when I nearly had to part ways with Carlton. That was extremely tough.

Fatherhood?
Love it. It’s the thing that’s moulded me into who I am now. The beauty of it is that I’ve been able to have kids so young. I think my boy Cody is similar to what I was at his age. I take him to the games, he gets to watch and he knows all the players’ names – and I’m just grateful that I’ve got the opportunity to do it.
Wiley, Walker wind back the clock & Ten questions to Andrew Walker

I guessed fatherhood was the factor in Walker going from rangy colt to a gun player.

One of my favourites since he ran amok in his debut game.

That particular shoulder surgery has been fantastic for him. Other than the obvious positives (he's such a consistent member of our side nowadays rather than "what could have been"), it hasn't affected his flair or marking.

Any reason we can't do the same for Jamo's? o_O

If Walker continues this good form, then he'd be odds on to win his first John Nicholls Medal. Would be a great transformation after he kicked 56 goals two years ago.

Not sure he'd be atop of the polling at this stage, but he'd most certainly be close.

Either way Walks is having a fantastic year thus far and looks to be flourishing under Malthouse's guidance. I'd love to see him back in the forward line but his form down back is just too hard to ignore.

Would well and truly be in AA calculations at the moment. Having a super year.

2013 Review: Andrew Walker

LINK

ANDREW WALKER (#1)

GAMES
Season 2013: 23
Career: 165

GOALS
Season 2013: 7
Career: 116

KEY AFL STATISTICS (averages in brackets)
Disposals: 528 (23) Marks: 102 (4.4) Tackles: 48 (2.1) Rebound 50s: 130 (5.7) Bounces: 51 (2.2) Contested Possessions: 140 (6.09)

LINK

Remove this Banner Ad

Back