Review #1: Chris Newman Observatory - Will Retire End of Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Im not questioning his answer at a media crence. Its nithing to do with that. Id question our footy dept if we did indeed offer him another contract come end of year. His time is done imo. Thats all.

This was a contentious subject last year. Pretty sure not many if any even considered he woud go on end of this year. Many were surprised last year

Gordon has been good since he has been re-called to the senior side. Not sure what point you are trying to make.
Has he really been good. IMO his last two games while reasonable , are probably about all we will get out of him. Personally i couldnt give him a pass mark for either game. I hope to god we are aiming for so much better.

I suppose it begs the question about what is acceptable and what is not.
Clearly Gordon is a bit player and should only be played when other options run out.
Imo the club is at a stage where bit players dont get games unless there is no other option. It is better to put games into some juniors who we are pretty sure will become something more than fill ins.

Why so many of us lose sight of this very important aspect of list regeneration is beyond me.
I am going to say if we dont have a better junior 19 to 22 yr old option than Nathan Gordon then the long term future is up the creek. Yet i hear many tiger supporters talking premierships.

It is as clear as the nose on your face we will never win a premiership with the likes of Gordon, Lloyd, Batchelor, Newman and too many others who get regular games.

6 yrs ago we could have cut 30 players in one go and actually improved significantly on 95% of them with out trying too hard. Thats how bad the list was.

Today it is more about value adding. We dont have out right duds, well not many, but we do have a lot of borderline okay types and we need to upgrade on them.
We need to make harder calls because the calls have become harder. The key is we actually continue to make those calls. The thing we need to do most is to actually value add. By this i mean and i will use Jake Batchelor as an example.

He is half decent, but he cant take us any further, we need to value add on Jake if we want to win a premiership. We need to do this right across the board. It is not longer about cut and slash. It has become about fine tuning and raising the bar to where a premiership is possible. Fine tuning still means we need to continue to prune hard. There are plenty of Batchelors on our list.

Before the leg injury he was our best kick , no doubting that . His half the player he use to be . Blind Freddy can see that . It's not like this decline just happened either that's the part that's irritating . If he plays a role in a final and helps us win fantastic but it's not likely . I wonder how many other clubs he would be getting a game at ?

Which leg injury? He broke his leg against the Pies in 2006 and got back just fine after that....

Just let him be.... pick on the match committee, not Newman. He's not going to get selected and then tell them to get ****ed is he? Just ridiculously mis-directed crap in here. He clearly does his job most weeks or he'd be dropped. It hasn't occurred to many in here, so I'll state it. Nobody knows what his actual role and instructions are each week, except those at the club.... so if they keep playing him it's because a) he's doing his job or b) there is no-one doing it in the VFL to the standard the MC think will stand up in the AFL or c) every other option is injured. Someone was talking about him being loose and getting cheap kicks against GWS at stages.... nobody thinks that might be under instruction? C'mon, how can we be so close-minded?

So can we please just get off his back and actually support our players.... makes me sick listening to this crap from so called supporters.

Oh and incidentally, I think he should retire and I think if the RFC want him to retire they should tell him/drop him. Up until that point, I'm happy knowing that he'll be scrapping and fighting to keep his spot in the team. I can't and won't blame him for wanting an AFL career and for trying to prolong it....If any of you are, perhaps think about if there are people out there that could do your job better than you.... I'm tipping each and every one of you are replaceable. However, i wouldn't expect you to stand down from your jobs for someone else, younger and keener and perhaps more skilled..... so pipe down. /rant

Which leg injury? He broke his leg against the Pies in 2006 and got back just fine after that....

Just let him be.... pick on the match committee, not Newman. He's not going to get selected and then tell them to get stuffed is he? Just ridiculously mis-directed crap in here. He clearly does his job most weeks or he'd be dropped. It hasn't occurred to many in here, so I'll state it. Nobody knows what his actual role and instructions are each week, except those at the club.... so if they keep playing him it's because a) he's doing his job or b) there is no-one doing it in the VFL to the standard the MC think will stand up in the AFL or c) every other option is injured. Someone was talking about him being loose and getting cheap kicks against GWS at stages.... nobody thinks that might be under instruction? C'mon, how can we be so close-minded?

So can we please just get off his back and actually support our players.... makes me sick listening to this crap from so called supporters.

Oh and incidentally, I think he should retire and I think if the RFC want him to retire they should tell him/drop him. Up until that point, I'm happy knowing that he'll be scrapping and fighting to keep his spot in the team. I can't and won't blame him for wanting an AFL career and for trying to prolong it....If any of you are, perhaps think about if there are people out there that could do your job better than you.... I'm tipping each and every one of you are replaceable. However, i wouldn't expect you to stand down from your jobs for someone else, younger and keener and perhaps more skilled..... so pipe down. /rant
You know over the yrs there have been many tiger players i have despised and just wanted gone. Yet on game day i would rock up to the game and defend them to the hilt. Even watching telly you back them in.
Every player at the club gets my unequivocal loyalty on game day. For the rest of the week as far as im concerned it is open slather. It really is simple play well and avoid the inevitable criticim that comes if you dont.

You know Newy deserves criticism and he should retire, in fact he should have retired two seasons ago. Thats how long he has been ordinary.
It is pretty clear he is not playing up to the required standard. What is of great concern is the mc doesnt seem to think we have other players who can provide as much if not more than him.
I dont need the mc to tell me hes playing well or poorly i can see it for myself. To be honest i dont give a stuff what the MC think about him, their record is nothing to write home about.

It is time to make him retire, do it and do it with respect.

Has he really been good. IMO his last two games while reasonable , are probably about all we will get out of him. Personally i couldnt give him a pass mark for either game. I hope to god we are aiming for so much better.

Clearly Gordon is a bit player and should only be played when other options run out.
Imo the club is at a stage where bit players dont get games unless there is no other option. It is better to put games into some juniors who we are pretty sure will become something more than fill ins.

Why so many of us lose sight of this very important aspect of list regeneration is beyond me.
I am going to say if we dont have a better junior 19 to 22 yr old option than Nathan Gordon then the long term future is up the creek. Yet i hear many tiger supporters talking premierships.

It is as clear as the nose on your face we will never win a premiership with the likes of Gordon, Lloyd, Batchelor, Newman and too many others who get regular games.

6 yrs ago we could have cut 30 players in one go and actually improved significantly on 95% of them with out trying too hard. Thats how bad the list was.

Today it is more about value adding. We dont have out right duds, well not many, but we do have a lot of borderline okay types and we need to upgrade on them.
We need to make harder calls because the calls have become harder. The key is we actually continue to make those calls. The thing we need to do most is to actually value add. By this i mean and i will use Jake Batchelor as an example.

He is half decent, but he cant take us any further, we need to value add on Jake if we want to win a premiership. We need to do this right across the board. It is not longer about cut and slash. It has become about fine tuning and raising the bar to where a premiership is possible. Fine tuning still means we need to continue to prune hard. There are plenty of Batchelors on our list.
I agree with most of what you say except not sure Batchelor is the right example to use. He's been very good at performing his role. Doesn't get beaten very often. Hopefully this season isn't a one off though.

I'd say guys like Newman, Petterd, Thomas, Gordon, Lloyd, Morris fit this criteria the best. Hampson too but we need him as we only have 2 ruckman lol

I agree with most of what you say except not sure Batchelor is the right example to use. He's been very good at performing his role. Doesn't get beaten very often. Hopefully this season isn't a one off though.

I'd say guys like Newman, Petterd, Thomas, Gordon, Lloyd, Morris fit this criteria the best. Hampson too but we need him as we only have 2 ruckman lol
I thought you would have added Grigg in both of your examples for Batchelor and Hampson:)

I thought you would have added Grigg in both of your examples for Batchelor and Hampson:)
I used to really dislike Grigg. I've warmed to him as a tagger. If he ever gets played on a wing again he will be on that list within minutes of the opening bounce. :p

I think Batch can get better by having more confidence from continuity. I think Chaplin is the one that can be upgraded.

You know over the yrs there have been many tiger players i have despised and just wanted gone. Yet on game day i would rock up to the game and defend them to the hilt. Even watching telly you back them in.
Every player at the club gets my unequivocal loyalty on game day. For the rest of the week as far as im concerned it is open slather. It really is simple play well and avoid the inevitable criticim that comes if you dont.

You know Newy deserves criticism and he should retire, in fact he should have retired two seasons ago. Thats how long he has been ordinary.
It is pretty clear he is not playing up to the required standard. What is of great concern is the mc doesnt seem to think we have other players who can provide as much if not more than him.
I dont need the mc to tell me hes playing well or poorly i can see it for myself. To be honest i dont give a stuff what the MC think about him, their record is nothing to write home about.

Listening to SEN today and the news clip from the press conference said Newman has been "pivotal". FFS?

I used to really dislike Grigg. I've warmed to him as a tagger. If he ever gets played on a wing again he will be on that list within minutes of the opening bounce. :p
Mate I was joking on that , but I really agree with you on him
he really has come of age out of all the fringe players on our list I was really surprised with his strong inside work on the weekend and his quick clever accurate releases to an outside target
At one stage I had to check the record to see if Grigg was really number 6
His defensive work is also heavy duty
I'm becoming sold that he's a genuine top ten to fifteen on our list, but I still wouldn't give him more than a two year deal Let him stay hungry and desperate for survival as it benefits us and him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really believe we are playing top 4 footy.
I see nothing different to last year and to be honest im waiting for the wheels to fall off. Maybe im scarred from all the yrs of ineptitude. Some will argue good sides find a way to win when not at their best, my trouble with that argument is we rarely play top 4 footy and every week it seems play horrid footy at stages. We may be getting away with it for now but you can bet your bottom dollar come the business end of the year we will pay a huge price for any lapses. Imo there is still way too much left to too few.
We are winning with small contributions from hunt Newman griff and with inexperienced players like Gordon lambert and mcintosh doing enough but with room for improvement. It means that , when fit Knights conca Ellis and Lennon McBean etc can step up and actually improve our list. This year we are pacing ourselves better, and if not playing 4 quarters then playing the important quarters.

You should turn up and support them on game day - each and every week. The moment you won't support them, you should piss off and not go to games. You don't get a medal for that, it's called supporting, which is what a 'supporter' is by definition.

I don't have a problem with criticism of Newy's performance, I have a problem with people criticising his decision not to retire or allow himself to picked in teams. That's just ludicrous. He is making a living. While someone is prepared to pay him to do that, he should continue to do it. The moment they are not willing, then it's game over. It certainly isn't up to him, so people criticising for that are just hypocritical I suspect. There are plenty of people out there better skilled and qualified to do pretty much all the jobs that people on football forums do (assumption but I'd say it's a pretty good guess) yet I wouldn't expect anyone to stand aside from their job. I'd expect them to keep their job until they get fired or move on (which is unlikely for those doing what they love). So asking Newy to do the same is hypocritical.

As I previously suggested, people should be having a crack at the MC, NOT Newy. Anyone who can't see that is well.... deluded. Now the MC have things to answer for.... but they are there because they are getting paid to do it. If I could get paid to do a better job than them.... well believe me, I'd be there getting paid.

You should turn up and support them on game day - each and every week. The moment you won't support them, you should piss off and not go to games. You don't get a medal for that, it's called supporting, which is what a 'supporter' is by definition.

I don't have a problem with criticism of Newy's performance, I have a problem with people criticising his decision not to retire or allow himself to picked in teams. That's just ludicrous. He is making a living. While someone is prepared to pay him to do that, he should continue to do it. The moment they are not willing, then it's game over. It certainly isn't up to him, so people criticising for that are just hypocritical I suspect. There are plenty of people out there better skilled and qualified to do pretty much all the jobs that people on football forums do (assumption but I'd say it's a pretty good guess) yet I wouldn't expect anyone to stand aside from their job. I'd expect them to keep their job until they get fired or move on (which is unlikely for those doing what they love). So asking Newy to do the same is hypocritical.

As I previously suggested, people should be having a crack at the MC, NOT Newy. Anyone who can't see that is well.... deluded. Now the MC have things to answer for.... but they are there because they are getting paid to do it. If I could get paid to do a better job than them.... well believe me, I'd be there getting paid.

I think MOST people arent having a go a Chris personally TBH, I for one think he should never be picked in the 1s again...
Does that automatically mean I dont like, disrespect him, realise hes not picking himself.... Of course not...

Most of the argument on here is one of people not believing he should be in the ones.... Then the people that do, AUTOMATICALLY make the assumption that anyone who doesn't want him there has all this NEWY HATE.... There is no hate for the man himself, but people dont have to sit back and be happy to accept the FACT that his is picked on a different set of rules to others. I think we all realise that Newy doesn't make those rules, so the hate is not there for him as an Individual, but mere the decision thats made to play him.

I don't think he could've answered those questions any differently at the presser to be honest so I have no issue there.

I don't agree with the notion though that it should be his decision to make, the club have to make the call at the end of the year... This isn't suburban footy anymore, its one of the biggest industries in this country

Even if you can live by his stats (which I can't)...

There were just too many examples where he just didn't do the small things...
There was one point where he was standing next to a giants player (maybe Griffen but not 100%) they were behind a Giants taking a mark or free kick, Newy too easily let his opponent run past the player with the ball to create the carry and overlap that helped them get past our defensive set-up. What was worse he didn't even try to chase, infact he actually ran on the opposite side the bloke who had the ball originally (maybe in the hope he wouldn't get recognised as the bloke who didn't chase).

Its these GLARING issues that have me more concerned than a kid trying to develop and improve in these areas. If Newy isn't doing them (when at his age he knows exactly what the expectation is, isn't this the leadership everyone goes on about??), let a kid come in and try / learn, and yes they will make mistakes, but if they develop and learn from them thats better than an old player simply just not doing it!

I think MOST people arent having a go a Chris personally TBH, I for one think he should never be picked in the 1s again...
Does that automatically mean I dont like, disrespect him, realise hes not picking himself.... Of course not...

Most of the argument on here is one of people not believing he should be in the ones.... Then the people that do, AUTOMATICALLY make the assumption that anyone who doesn't want him there has all this NEWY HATE.... There is no hate for the man himself, but people dont have to sit back and be happy to accept the FACT that his is picked on a different set of rules to others. I think we all realise that Newy doesn't make those rules, so the hate is not there for him as an Individual, but mere the decision thats made to play him.

I don't think he could've answered those questions any differently at the presser to be honest so I have no issue there.

I don't agree with the notion though that it should be his decision to make, the club have to make the call at the end of the year... This isn't suburban footy anymore, its one of the biggest industries in this country

Correct. There are a few people blaming Newy directly in here which is just wrong and that's why I have addressed it. Personally I'm stunned that he still gets selected.... but I'm not blaming him.

It was hard watching him play against the Giants. Just totally gassed a lot of the time.

I actually said to Dad, "that's the last game Newman will play in the 1's for the year" (barring injury).
this is the truth.If people could spend a quarter on Newman cam they would be amazed of how far backwards his body and game mind have gone

this is the truth.If people could spend a quarter on Newman cam they would be amazed of how far backwards his body and game mind have gone

It's amazing what you can see at the game ;)

I honestly find it really hard watching us on tv..... you just get virtually no idea of what is happening in terms of workrate, defensive/offensive structures, spread.... basically the only thing you get on tv is the score and things that happen with 20 metres of the ball.... so frustrating. Oh and depending on who the 'expert' commentators are, you might even be misled about game events and trends....

I honestly find it really hard watching us on tv..... you just get virtually no idea of what is happening in terms of workrate, defensive/offensive structures, spread.... basically the only thing you get on tv is the score and things that happen with 20 metres of the ball.... so frustrating. Oh and depending on who the 'expert' commentators are, you might even be misled about game events and trends....
agree and i love going to the vfl for this reason.i find the afl too stressful with the kids as they have no room to move
i did enjoy the game on Sat. bc it was a really good arm wrestle with lots of defensive tactics

Big time. It cut both ways on Saturday though as to impressions that you can only get when you're actually at the game... Where Newman looked slow and bloody hopeless, Jack looked absolutely unstoppable.

I lost my s**t when that happened.

agree and i love going to the vfl for this reason.i find the afl too stressful with the kids as they have no room to move
i did enjoy the game on Sat. bc it was a really good arm wrestle with lots of defensive tactics

How well were GWS setting up behind the footy? We seemed to kick it to them (their spare) an awful lot.... I was at a bucks day so couldn't make the game (watching it on your phone is even worse than on a tv screen!). I've watched the replay a couple of times but it's hard to see the setup...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back