Past #1: Daniel Currie - officially traded to Gold Coast in exchange for a third round selection (#53)

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he gave the mids first use and we won the clearances....

Im happy to drop Goldy to give CUrrie a go, but!!! if Currie does a s**t job then Goldy might slack off even more knowing that there really is no competition for his spot... an the other Hand if Currie performs it could be beneficial...

I reckon he is the problem.

He is a leader now, OK not officially, but he would be in the top 5 earners at the club and has been around for a long time now. He needs to make his presence felt and set the tone in the middle. I want him to win the tap and then find an opposition midfielder to hurt. He needs to start playing angry. Sick of this gentle giant s**t. We lost the game last night in the middle. Every bloke who played there needs to come under the microscope, starting with Goldy.

We won the centre clearances 19-9. Goldy is doing his job, not his fault our midfielders are butchering it.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

mighty mick

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 10, 2002
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
aussie cricket team
just watching currie today against what looks like a fit maric. no reason to give him a go, ben brown was impressive

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Goldy awful around the ground - needs to step it up as we have seen what he can do.

But it's a minor issue compared to the other problems we have.

Our gameplan is......sorry, my mistake. What is our gameplan? It's changed 27 times in the last 4 years so no wonder the players have no idea what they are doing. Especially when the best part of how we played footy, which was to play and use players to our advantage, has been removed.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
We win the clearances so that means Goldy played well? Come off it. A very simplistic take on things. Teams let us play an extra man around the ball so they can have a spare man behind play. Worked a treat last night. We win the clearances, Bartel/Kelly/Enright mop up our s**t long bombs. I wonder what was more effective last night...more clearances or spare cats players hitting up Hawkins with no pressure whatsoever.

More clearances also excuses Goldy for not impacting around the ground. Jesus some of our players are beyond reproach. Sort of complacency that is stopping us from taking the competition by the horns!

Angus1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2002
At the races
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We can't drop Goldstien for Currie. That just wont happen. I think his problem is he rucks for such long periods that all his effort goes into just following the ball around at ruck contests. He is most likely too warn out to offer a lead or run to space or drop back across half back etc..
I'd like to see him go off the ground more often for a spell. Let Daw take the ruck. Daw is actually pretty good with the hit outs and often will tap to advantage.
Resting Goldstein could be what's needed to get him to start taking marks around the ground. Basically if he doesn't take marks around the ground he becomes a liability.

Like I said I'm glad Goldy can win 69 tap outs a match because it means we kick goal after goal and continue to win match after match. :stern look

Give me a ruckman like Corey McKernan in the 96 Grand Final dominating around the ground taking big grab after big grab than a tap out merchant who is by and large out of the game once a ball up or a throw in is done. :stern look

May 24, 2005
Covid Central
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos
I jumped off the Goldy train when he lost a contest across half-forward in the last quarter, losing his feet and going to ground.
Has been a fine player for us but is giving us absolutely nothing around the ground this year and it's hurting us.
He had five touches to 3-4 time...not good enough.
I'm not saying Currie will do much better, but Goldy needs to get some urgency into his game.
I'm not sure what he does after the centre bounce...he doesn't get behind the ball to be a marking presence in defence and he doesn't even pop up as a marking target when we kick out after a behind.

Goldy is significantly over-rated IMO. I've been of this opinion throuhout most of his career. Wins 40 hitouts per game of which 2-3 may result in a quality clearance and gives us zippo around the ground. His inability to impact a game is frightenng. Ive had a gutful of him to be honest. Maybe we were spoilt having Corey McKernan for 7 years or so showing us what a ruckman can do. But yeah, Goldy is another guy who could be dropped to make a statement. How long do we wait for this guy to play CONSISTENT QUALITY footy???
Is Currie the answer? Probably not. But persisting with Goldy probably isnt either.

Goldy was trash and he's paid enough that there should be a smaller gap between his best and his worst.

You could throw a blanket over the amount of people that that statement is accuate about.

We have a team full of them at the moment.

Back