AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
2015RecruitsProfile-MSuckling-(FullSize)-WEBv2.png
MATTHEW SUCKLING

DOB: 25/7/1988
HEIGHT: 187cm
WEIGHT: 86kg
POSITION: Utility
RECRUITED FROM: Hawthorn FC (F/A), Originally recruited from Wagga Tigers (Pick 22, 2007 rookie draft)
ACHIEVEMENTS: 2014 & 2015 Premiership Player (Hawthorn)
DEBUT: Round 1, 2009 (Hawthorn).
Yet to debut for the Western Bulldogs

http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-01/one-up-for-suckling

A Brownlow medallist, a premiership player and a Bulldogs Hall of Famer.

They’re all achievements that adorn the No.1 locker at Whitten Oval, and for Matt Suckling, it symbolises the achievements of the men that now bestow him the honour of the prized Bulldogs guernsey.

As the Western Bulldogs announce playing numbers for 2016 this week, the classy midfield acquisition from the Hawks is the first to have his new number revealed.

Arriving at the Club in October via free agency, Suckling said it was nice to kick off the pre-season and get through his first official week as a Bulldog.

“It’s been a bit of a whirlwind week but to get my locker and my number is pretty special and it’s starting to sink in now.”

Suckling joins Brownlow medallist and Hall of Fame inductee Alan Hopkins and 1954 premiership star John Kerr as those that have worn the illustrious number, and the 27-year-old said he was honoured.

“I suppose seeing the names on the locker, a premiership player and a Hall of Fame attached to the number one, hopefully I can work hard over the pre-season and debut in it next year.”

While only one week into pre-season training, Suckling said he’s had no issues settling in.

“(I’m) settling in really well, it’s a great group down here and the whole vibe around the whole place is really special and they’re making it very easy to fit in.”

Moving across to the Dogs from Hawthorn, Suckling was a member of the Hawks’ 2014 and 2015 premiership sides.

He says that experience will hold him in good stead, and hopes to bring that leadership to the Bulldogs’ young group.

“We do have a young list and I’ve been lucky enough to play in big games and finals over the last few years so if I can bring any of that experience across then I’m happy to do that.”

Has anyone seen his wikipedia page recently. Someone with too much time on their hands?

I quote:

"Hailing from Wagga Wagga, Suckling played football with Isaac Smith in the Wagga Hawks for several years before both moved to the Wagga Tigers where they won two premierships. Known as the "Black Prince of the Western Suburbs", Suckling excercised his right as a free agent to join the Western Bulldogs. Success clearly follows the Devilish Anti-Hero, as the Western Bulldogs won their first flag in 62 years, shortly after the menacing play-maker joined the side in 2016

In 2017, he began his Brownlow Medal charge with four goals in the JLT pre-season match against the Gold Coast Suns, three of which were outside fifty, equalling the record for most Super-Goals in a pre-season match. This was later considered as one of the greatest individual performances in a game of Football"

Funny stuff I must say, Rompingwins 2.0?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back