Traded #1: Michael Hibberd - Premiership Player!! Onya Piggy šŸ½

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the way he powered through opposition tags and still managed to have a positive influence in our games. Extremely important player for us.

I fully expect him to make the AA team in 2015, and perhaps a top 3 finish in our B&F.

We have unearthed an absolute gem in the pig, but... it drives me ******* nuts every time he goes for the spoil as third man up, doesn't get the spoil and the opposition he was on gathers the ball and scores the goal. It has happened far too often and he needs to smarten up. Remove that and some other lapses in his game and he could be the best flanker in the comp.

Is he ever a chance to play more midfield?
He probably could, but personally, I'd rather he stay on a flank. I think he's too valuable as a defensive player to move, since he's incredibly good at reading the flight, chopping off the opposition's entries, and he's very capable in a contest. I'd rather a Dempsey move onto a wing than Pig.

We have unearthed an absolute gem in the pig, but... it drives me ******* nuts every time he goes for the spoil as third man up, doesn't get the spoil and the opposition he was on gathers the ball and scores the goal. It has happened far too often and he needs to smarten up. Remove that and some other lapses in his game and he could be the best flanker in the comp.

You are spot on - Had mainly got this out of his game in 2012 and 2013, but it came back to the fore in 2014 - The biggest issue is that you only go third man occasionally when running back with the ball.Third man up should when coming from the back or the side.

B and F's are strange - Hibberd had a better year in 2013 and finished 4th and an inferior year in 2014 and still finished 4th.

Might as well kick off some reviews for the year. Starting with our old fashioned small 'tall' Michael Hibberd.

AFL:
Games: 19/23
Kicks: 286 @ 15.0
Handballs: 179 @ 9.4
Disposals: 465 @ 24.5
Marks: 121 @ 6.4
Tackles: 29 @ 1.5
Frees For: 19 @ 1.0
Free Against: 11 @ 0.6
Inside 50s: 38 @ 2.0
Rebound 50s: 91 @ 4.7
Goals 2
Supercoach Points:
- total 1,646 (32nd defender overall points)
- ave. 91.4 (13th overall)

Another brilliant year by Hibberd. Not quite as high production as 2013 but still solid enough for him to rank among the games elite defenders.

With his combination of power and strength coupled with his ability to read the play, Pig picked up where he left off in 2013.

With another big pre season, Hibberd will again form part of the 3rd strongest defence in the league and push himself further to full fill the undoubted talent and potential that could see him garner an All Australian squad selection in 2015.

What were your high's for Hibberd?
What do you expect from him in 2015?

• Probably the first player I'll pick for my DT Defense next year.
  • Upside on this year is reaching AA form again (but getting selected!).
  • Worried about missing game time due to injuries - a full season without tweaks in the Hammys would be great.
  • Do not want to see him heading towards the midfield, his role shouldn't change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else notice how he always goes up for unrealistic pack marks that he has no hope of marking?
Going up for those pack grabs while his man gets front and center cost us several goals last season, including Motlop's winner against Geelong.
Don't get me wrong, he is a gun for us - But i really think this is hurting his game.

he also makes some howling errors when under pressure. plus the unrealistic marking/spoiling attempts.

there was the kick out from defence that went straight to hawthorn. (on that though - why the * was he called to play on??!!)

he's a good player. but i fear when the heat is really on, he can't execute his skills well.

I think he's had a bit of a slow start to the season to be honest (whilst still being serviceable). He's definitely got another gear. Defensively he's been fine but hasn't quite been on with his kicking and rebound (by his usual high standards). Its also clear that teams put a lot of attention in to him, whereas I feel like Gleeson/other flanker gets given a lot more latitude.

At his best - he's in our top 5 players. Give him a few weeks and I reckon we will see that again.

Anyone else notice how he always goes up for unrealistic pack marks that he has no hope of marking?
Going up for those pack grabs while his man gets front and center cost us several goals last season, including Motlop's winner against Geelong.
Don't get me wrong, he is a gun for us - But i really think this is hurting his game.

Yep, and I actually don't think his defensive game has been great generally.

With Hooker and Hurley at the contest it's unnecessary that he flies as often as he does especially as he is not a big spoiler.

Good player. Needs to get a better balance of attack and defence and I think he has been tighter this year.

Anyone want to see the pig with three eyes?

Hiiibberd
red_main_1689473a.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back