Player Watch #1 - Jesse Hogan - traded to Freo - #fistedforever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just from a PR perspective, that's one of the most laughable articles I've seen come out of our club for a long time. We run such a tight ship, but publish a dozen articles on Hogan soundbites every fortnight. So he's glad that we don't hate him, but that doesn't mean he'll be signing any time soon. Terrific, but why is that news and why do we have to hear that he's still pretty keen on Perth again? Plenty of whispers, hopefully and probably BS, coming out of WA that Fremantle are loading up and he wouldn't say no but for the fact that he'd sort of be screwing us if he left now. Will he leave after 2017? Who the hell knows, and we desperately hope not. Am I as confident as you guys that he'll be sitting at full forward in red and blue for most/all of his career? Not at all.

Hogan isn't going back to Perth in 2017. He's going to be one of the biggest stars in the sport's major city, and it's not as though any club will give him money that we wouldn't match. Freo aren't going to be able to satisfy us in a trade and we aren't going to take unders for him. If he goes anywhere it'll be to another Melbourne club.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If he leaves we can all just give up the competition and go support someone in local footy, im not gonna worry about it... If we end up pushing for top 4 by the time 2017 rolls round he aint going anywhere anyway.. who cares anymore

Because he is a gun FF and every club will want him we will end up getting way overcompensated like WC with Judd anyway
We will get 2 first round picks coming our way and probably a pretty bloody good young player aswell
And if we dont ? Stuff him.... put him in the pre season draft and he can go to essendon or whoever is on the bottom at that time

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Just from a PR perspective, that's one of the most laughable articles I've seen come out of our club for a long time. We run such a tight ship, but publish a dozen articles on Hogan soundbites every fortnight. So he's glad that we don't hate him, but that doesn't mean he'll be signing any time soon. Terrific, but why is that news and why do we have to hear that he's still pretty keen on Perth again? Plenty of whispers, hopefully and probably BS, coming out of WA that Fremantle are loading up and he wouldn't say no but for the fact that he'd sort of be screwing us if he left now. Will he leave after 2017? Who the hell knows, and we desperately hope not. Am I as confident as you guys that he'll be sitting at full forward in red and blue for most/all of his career? Not at all.

You're overlooking one very important point. Would a big guy, who already has to manage his back, want to take a 4 hour flight twice in a weekend every fortnight ?

Guy McKenna and Glen Jakovich have publicly stated that the regular flights shortened players' careers. Hogan debuted at 20, which is obviously pretty late, so I doubt he'll want to risk further reducing his years in the game.

If he really wanted to play with Freo he'd put up with it, but it's hardly ideal for a 195 cm, 100 kg key forward. Imo, it's a genuine issue he'd have to consider.

If he leaves we can all just give up the competition and go support someone in local footy, im not gonna worry about it... If we end up pushing for top 4 by the time 2017 rolls round he aint going anywhere anyway.. who cares anymore

Because he is a gun FF and every club will want him we will end up getting way overcompensated like WC with Judd anyway
We will get 2 first round picks coming our way and probably a pretty bloody good young player aswell
And if we dont ? Stuff him.... put him in the pre season draft and he can go to essendon or whoever is on the bottom at that time
Which is why he isn't going anywhere. Would only move to another Melbourne club but one that's doing well, and we should just flat out refuse to trade him unless it's for the most insane deal. I'd want more than what Judd got. 2 top 3 picks + an established gun player, minimum.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You're overlooking one very important point. Would a big guy, who already has to manage his back, want to take a 4 hour flight twice in a weekend every fortnight ?

Guy McKenna and Glen Jakovich have publicly stated that the regular flights shortened players' careers. Hogan debuted at 20, which is obviously pretty late, so I doubt he'll want to risk further reducing his years in the game.

If he really wanted to play with Freo he'd put up with it, but it's hardly ideal for a 195 cm, 100 kg key forward. Imo, it's a genuine issue he'd have to consider.
That's a really good point. I have thought the same thing. Also a lot of players haven't been going to WA recently. I'm not concerned about 2017. Reckon he'll stay then. I'm more worried about free agency further down the track.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sam McClure tweet. please please

Hogan and Dees met again yesterday. Preliminary talks of big money, long term deal underway.

I remember it was reported somewhere a month or two ago that once he came back from his holidays we'd be entering talks about a much longer deal. I don't think we'll lock him away for 10+, I'd imagine his management will probably want to stretch it to when he is about 26-27 in his prime and he'll basically sign one more contract after that (Hopefully with us!).

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Sam McClure tweet. please please

Hogan and Dees met again yesterday. Preliminary talks of big money, long term deal underway.

This and convincing an A Grade mid to come play for us must be our priority.

Pay Hogan what he wants. He'll earn it. But how many years do we sign him for? We dont want him leaving in his prime, so im hoping the club signs him up until 2025. I cant see that happening though.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Great news. My prediction is that the most he'll sign for is a 5 year extension bringing him to free agency.
Yep, i think it will be 5 then they will want a bigger contract after that.

I dont care locking him away for the next 6 years is what i want.

Flyswatter

All Australian
Feb 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
we're not there yet, maybe at the end of negotiations team Hogan say they just want to see out their current contract, play some consistent footy, and revisit at a later date. then it's Westgate time.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
I remember it was reported somewhere a month or two ago that once he came back from his holidays we'd be entering talks about a much longer deal. I don't think we'll lock him away for 10+, I'd imagine his management will probably want to stretch it to when he is about 26-27 in his prime and he'll basically sign one more contract after that (Hopefully with us!).
Something like that works well for everyone, sign on a big money deal until he is a free agent. Then either we are playing finals and offer him more money and years or he can make a move an still win a premiership.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Something like that works well for everyone, sign on a big money deal until he is a free agent. Then either we are playing finals and offer him more money and years or he can make a move an still win a premiership.

Pretty much, it'd also be smart by his management. I think Jesse will only sign 2 contracts for the rest of his career, a big one in the next 18 months and another one when he is 25-26.

I'm holding onto the hope that Hogan is the kind of bloke that would only want to win a premiership by helping to drag a side there rather than resting on the coattails of others.

May 27, 2012
Derweze, Turkmenistan
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm holding onto the hope that Hogan is the kind of bloke that would only want to win a premiership by helping to drag a side there rather than resting on the coattails of others.
490924858-james-frawley-of-the-hawks-waves-to-the-gettyimages.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back