Past #10: Ben Cunnington - will retire from the AFL after * game - 238 games/95+ goals/2x Syd Barker Medalist/Shinboner - thanks for everything Cunners

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year he did, took till finals to gel with Swallow. Same with Ziebell to a degree, same type of inside man, that's why Dal was important off the back of the square last year.
Someone has already mentioned it, but he worked well with Swallow last night, perhaps for the first time. If their games can mesh a bit better we will have a good combination there.

His last quarter was massive today

Despite him seeming to have a worse season than last, he's still number 5 in the comp for contested possessions and number 3 for clearances. Going along nicely
dont think he is going all that well, however i agree his last QTR was great.

Last quarter today notwithstanding, I think he is having an ordinary season. We all hoped that he would just keep getting better after his best and fairest year but it just isn't happening for him at the moment. Unusually for him, he looks slow of thought in traffic and has been caught a number of times in positions he was fantastic in last year. In saying that, it's remarkable that this is the case yet he is till top 5 league wide for clearances and top 10 for contested possessions. Hopefully his last quarter today will be a catalyst for him finding his best footy in the second half of the season.

Last quarter today notwithstanding, I think he is having an ordinary season. We all hoped that he would just keep getting better after his best and fairest year but it just isn't happening for him at the moment. Unusually for him, he looks slow of thought in traffic and has been caught a number of times in positions he was fantastic in last year. In saying that, it's remarkable that this is the case yet he is till top 5 league wide for clearances and top 10 for contested possessions. Hopefully his last quarter today will be a catalyst for him finding his best footy in the second half of the season.
Lat year opponents would stand off him waiting for him to give off the handball, now they have worked him out and just go in for the tackle, hence why he is getting caught, he needs to add some diversity to his game or he will just be an average player, meaning he needs to give to the first option more often from now on.

Think he's drinking too much milk....slowing him down.

But I was happier with his game. I like the rotation of Spitta, Cunners, JZ, and Dumont with Basti and some Boomer working on the outside more. Just need NDS and Wellsy to add to the mix.

Had a good solid game. I particularly liked him sharking a few taps from Natinui which seemed to start not long after Natinui got that straight tap clearance to inside 50. Ben then seemed to position himself goal side quite a bit.

He's good in front of the mic.

himym_jenkins_drinking_game_teds_class.png

"But umm!"

In all seriousness though, Cunners' media skills have improved out of sight the last couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back